Author Topic: Behemoth DropShip landing gear  (Read 1740 times)

Frabby

• Major
Behemoth DropShip landing gear
« on: 14 August 2020, 04:23:15 »
The Behemoth DropShip is famously too large and fragile to operate in an atmosphere, or in the gravity well of a planetary surface (as opposed to "free fall" orbit). Yet, its canonical image in the old DropShips & JumpShips volume depicts the familiar egg-shaped vessel with landing struts deployed.

I positively recall an official ruling or explanation (by Cray I think) to the effect that yes, the Behemoth has retractable landing struts, because it can still "land" on airless low-g bodies and dock with other vessels and space stations.

...only, I cannot find that ruling. Can you either point me to that ruling, or otherwise give a new official statement on the matter please?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: Behemoth DropShip landing gear
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2020, 12:26:39 »
Since the introduction of quirks, I think it's sort of moot - the Behemoth can be a space-only vehicle.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2020, 14:04:15 »
Since the introduction of quirks, I think it's sort of moot - the Behemoth can be a space-only vehicle.
To clarify, does it canonically have landing struts as depicted in DS&JS?
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2020, 16:09:05 »
After a quick huddle among the hive mind: yes, it has landing gear.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2020, 00:13:11 »
Thank you for the confirmation.  :)