Author Topic: Technical Readout: 3099; Der Tag. Dusty Utility Helicopter  (Read 2569 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall

https://youtu.be/AfHE6j_eC3U

“Nothing else really sounds like a Dusty; there is just something about the way the engines, the rotors and the airframe all come together that combines to make a totally unique sound. Slicks and Snakes; even the Gunship versions all sounded different; but you knew when it was Dusties.

Depending on where you were on a given mission; that first hint of the four-bladed whop-whop-whop-whop in the distance was either when you started to sweat or when you felt that burst of elation that you might be getting pulled out. Some guys even say that they could recognize their platoon’s Dusty amongst a whole LZ-full of the things. I don’t know; but I do know that I will never, ever forget that sound for as long as I live.”

-Corporal (Retired) Jeremy F. Thompkins, 1st Cavalry Division, Interviewed 3096 for “In The Shadow of The Blade” Documentary Series

“My grandmother called them “Devil-Drummers” in her stories for the way that the sound would reverberate in your chest. It terrified all of them. I think that’s why most of the ones who are still alive live deep in the big cities now; there are still plenty of VTOLs, but it’s so loud there and the buildings change the sound so that it hides enough and changes enough that they can cope with it.

She told me you could hear them a long way off sometimes, but normally they were on top of you before you could do anything; they flew very low and that masked the sound behind the trees and valleys and hills. There would be nothing and then you would feel it more than hear it and then you had minutes or less before *they* would be on you; the ‘Cauldron-Born’, with their flamers and mass-reactives.

Of course, everyone knows what happened; what they did and what that did to us, to our culture; my grandmother’s movement. But the government likes it that way and despite the noises they make; you can’t help noticing the way that they send in their own VTOLs now whenever there are protests. They just keep them hovering around in the middle-distance so you can hear the blades coming and going. That bleeds away a lot of the Remainers; they are all big-talkers, like my Grandmother says. But no-one can take that all the time clawing away at he back of your mind. Then they come thundering in, fast and low and almost everyone who ever believed in a Free Skye vanishes. They still have the old skills. Or they wouldn’t be there to try to stir up my generation. Most of us know better anyways and the protests are just a good way to get out of class and the teachers are all for it; lots of hard-liners in the teacher’s unions.

But my grandmother advises more caution and prudence. The revolution is dead now; we have to make change in other ways; that’s why she helps me with my school work. And I listen to my grandmother; because I know for her to say that takes courage and she is the bravest one I know. We went to a protest once; had breakfast with some of her old comrades; they fawned all over her, but she was non-committal. And then the VTOLs came and I looked around and all the old hard-liners were gone and it was just my Grandmother there with me and all the other young people.

I asked her later; why she didn’t run, didn’t show me those famous Skye survival skills. She just held my hand in a grip I never imagined she had.

‘Because I know better, child…” She said, sadly. “By the time you hear the Devil-Drummers; there is no-where to run and no-where to hide, so you may as well stand and keep your honour. I’m a “Remainer” because it’s notable how few of us from the old days “Remain”. Most of those who do are the cowards who gave up early, before the “Ghost Riders in Skye”. I had to learn the hard way and that’s what I try to teach you. Skye will never be free; I know that now and I didn’t know then; all fighting for it does is cost you everyone you ever knew and loved. We need to buy into the Commonwealth if we want to make things better. Make a place for us *in* it.’

I don’t know what the real “Devil-Drummers” sound like; grandmother says the old trideo-docs don’t do it justice, even in a theatre. But in my nightmares; I hear what she heard and I am afraid; because the bravest person I ever met wet herself next to me that day at the protest from something she assured me wasn’t even as bad as the old days; naturally: the government doesn’t have any of their type of VTOLs anymore.

My Grandmother was brave enough then to stand her ground and die with honour for a cause she believed in; and now she makes sure I am smart enough that I never have to.”

-Siobhan Ghali 15 years old in 3098, Granddaughter of Brigantia Owens-Ghali; Former Commandant-General of the Caledon 3rd District, Skye Republican Army

Type: Dusty Utility Helicopter MUH-1 Series
Mass: 25 Tons
Crew: 4 (Pilot, Co-pilot, Waist-Gunner and Crew Chief/Waist Gunner
Power Plant:    ICOM, Later Industrial Atomics or Westinghouse Class 110 Twin-Thrust/Rotodyne II Lite          Fusion Engine
   Cruising Speed: 108 kph
   Maximum Speed: 162 kph
Armour Type: Star Slab 5 or Mitchell Argon Ferro-Fibrous, later; Kurp Draco-100
Armament and Equipment: (MUH-1)
   2x ICOM Type-1 “Tri-Barrel” Sustained-Fire Lasers https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=51934.msg1512791#msg1512791
   1x Diverse Optics Type-2, Intek, Fuersturm-b (early models)
or 1x LBM Unlimited Model-A Medium Laser (later models; this is an unlicensed Fuersturm-b copy)
   2x Death Blossom, Ceres CR-15 or Sun Turtle/Kurp “Mighty Mouse” RL/15s
Manufacturer: ICOM Rotocraft Sub-Division
Location: Bastion Island Secure Facility, Nah Trang Secure Facility, Sun Turtle VTOL Plant (under license), Belmont Helicopter (under license)
   Status (as of 3099):   XU-1: Production Complete, One-off Flight-Test Prototype.
XU-1A: Production Complete; 11 built, Prototypes Only.
YUH-1: Production Complete; preproduction version.
MUH-1: In Production; main production model.
MUH-1A: Built from ‘-1 models; common field modification at crew preference. Sometimes available for export at customer request.
MUH-1E: Production as Required; for export and substitute-standard employment. Sometimes found as a field-modification.
MUH-1EZ: Production as Required; for export and substitute-standard employment.
MUH-1EZA: Production as Required; export only.
MUH-1EZA1: Production as Required; export only.
MUH-1M: In Production. Stopgap Upgrade Kit and off the line examples.
MUH-2M: Preproduction phase.
Communication System:    (Early Models) Westinghouse Shortband
(Later Models, Retrofits complete 3089) Westinghouse Long-Talk IIB   
Targeting and Tracking System: Icon Computer Systems Four-Way Fire-Control System Mk.3b

« Last Edit: 02 October 2019, 18:59:19 by beachhead1985 »
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Technical Readout: 3099; Der Tag. Dusty Utility Helicopter
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2019, 15:34:00 »
Overview:

The Dusty is the mainstay of the SLDF’s Air Cavalry units and is the standard equipment of Air-Mobile augmentee formations wherever they are found. It combines advanced design techniques with high technology in a package which is simple, tough, reliable and easy to fly. It is easy to see why the MUH-1 series and its relatives are so popular among their users and form the backbone of the SLDF’s VTOL forces, even over 30 years after the maiden flight of the original, failed prototype.

Development:

The aircraft which would eventually emerge as the definitive “Dusty” in 3071 was developed from a very early SLDF requirement dating from 3064. Development began in 3065 and was completed in the main by October of 3070.

So named for the ever-present dust worn and kicked-up by the prototypes during testing out on the Transvaal Steppes; the Dusty was designed from a humble basis to fulfill an ambitious specification.

Based on the design of the ancient Iroquois Transport VTOL Helicopter; the Dusty grew into the shoes it was to fill. The specifications handed to ICOM representatives called for a “Utility” platform; able to perform trooplift and bulk cargo missions equally well. It was also to be comparatively well-protected; following experience with platforms like the Kestrel and Cyrano, but also including the Iroquois itself. And it had to be reasonably fast: A standard of no less than 130kph was indicated by the panel of SOG veterans and experts who produced the specification, as this was the bare minimum thought to provide useful performance when used in the most basic eyes-on reconnaissance roles.

To this end; most high-tech, expensive materials and components were authorized; but integral to the requirement was that all of these should be either readily available for import on a reliable basis and through the existing covert channels or able to be produced locally, with a goal of a totally home-built product inside 10 years from the delivery of the first preproduction examples. A fusion-powerplant was indicated as essential in order to align with Project: BRAKELINE; which sought to put the entire frontline of the New Model Army beyond the need for a petrochemical fuel supply. Ultimately, however; ICOM’s designers and engineers were cautioned internally against splurging too much, as the SOG veterans on staff believed that the New Model Army might baulk at such a low-profile program delivering too-expensive an end-product.

In addition; the type had to be well-armed to support troops on the ground, clear landing zones, provide self-defence and offer general fire-support to other units. From the very beginning much was asked of the PAVE THUNDER team and they would struggle to deliver on it.

Drawing on the vast well of experience SOG had to offer allowed the ICOM team to incorporate many lessons learned on and from other VTOL platforms. Beginning from this mindset is what led to the early adoption of the Iroquois as a basis for the later Dusty, even before the program itself even got off the ground. It was this conservative starting point, first proposed by the MAPLE KEY Program which made such an ambitious project seem achievable in the beginning and it was experience gained with the Dusty Program (AKA: Project: PAVE THUNDER) that paved the way for much more ambitious programs later on.

The development program proceeded methodically; identifying and developing the systems the prototypes would need to incorporate and then expanding the airframe, avionics and powerplant of the basic Iroquois design to encompass them. In order to proof these vital features; an early reduced-5/6ths-scale technology demonstrator flew before a senior SLDF delegation in March of 3066 as the XU-1.

Full-scale prototypes were not long in coming as the basic design of the Iroquois lent the XU-series a high degree of fundamental adaptability which made fine tuning and modifying the basic airframes a breeze. This was one feature which would hold through the entirety of the type’s service to the present day and lead directly to a plethora of later variants and follow-on designs once the ideal of a one-size-fits-all VTOL was abandoned in the main.

While progressive prototypes performed well in testing, the ICOM design team knew going in that when they delivered the final prototypes in September of 3067; they were not only very expensive machines at (an estimated) 3,280,000 in 3066 C-Bills, equivalent (for a production example); but also failed in several key specifications. However, the hope was that the XU-1A model would so impress the evaluation board with its overall performance that they would overlook these shortcomings.

They did not.

With the revelation of the Word of Blake’s Jihad beginning the 5th Succession War; tensions were running incredibly high in the SLDF at this time (officially “in-exile” following the surprise dissolution of the 2nd Star League on 28 November 3067) and cooler heads were in short supply. General McKenna, however took a direct hand in the program; called a halt to the general panic gripping ICOM, at the time facing the failure of it’s first whole-system R&D program and instructed the PAVE THUNDER team to go back to the drawing board and rather than restart the program from a bare drafting console; take the earlier XU-1 flight-test prototype and proceed from that basis to create a new prototype.

This stricture forced the PAVE THUNDER team to make different sacrifices, but also illuminated different paths they might take to their desired end goal. Most importantly; it necessitated a change from the original Class-100 Twin-Thrust/Rotodyne-1 XL Engine/Gearbox combination to a heavier, but cheaper and more powerful cutting-edge Lite-Fusion powerplant; later designated the Twin-Thrust/Rotodyne II. This both ensured the higher performance demanded by the original specification and so sorely lacking in the earlier prototypes and also helped ensure that the massive losses sustained in the efforts to develop the proprietary powerplant not go to waste. Indeed; the original Engine/Gearbox design would see later use in some models of the follow-on “Slick” VTOL and others, as well as spawning a whole line of VTOL Fusion power plants.

Significant alterations had to be made to protection and firepower in order to fit into this smaller mass-bracket, however and the results were telling. An almost 20% overall reduction in armour and a significant down-grade in raw firepower were necessities of compromising the real needs of the SLDF’s Air Cavalry with their wants and the reality of the lighter 25-ton XU-1.

Along with an overall thinning of the ‘-1A’s passive defenses; almost the entire armament suite had to go with the exception of the imported Diverse Optics generic-model Extended-Range Medium Laser.

SOG R&D had been developing the Sustained-Fire Laser in secret in their small lab on Outreach for years before PAVE THUNDER was even proposed. The thought at the time had been that such a weapon would dramatically improve the capabilities of many VTOLs for relatively little cost. However; on balance the SFL had been rejected by ICOM engineers as being of too little combat utility when compared to the much more powerful; if heavier small pulse lasers fitted to the XU-1A. Looking to shave every possible kilogram to fit the ‘-1A into the ‘-1’s  smaller weight basket; the PAVE THUNDER team re-evaluated the SFL as a superior choice to low-tech machineguns, which would nonetheless require at least a half of ton of ammunition to employ. An extra half-ton the Sustained-Fire Laser would save them.

However; it was not initially obvious that this suite of lasers would tax the fusion reactor more than the integral cooling system would permit and the addition of an additional heatsink caused knock-on effects which sent the PAVE THUNDER team back to the drawing board once more.

But the biggest anchor on the endeavour, was the ICOM-Built Type-2/5 LRM10 rack. This represented the entire differential in mass between the rejected XU-1A and the new prototype; now officially designated YUH-1, all by itself. Needing longer-ranged weapons to support the troops on the ground and clear LZs at a minimum forced the ICOM engineers to turn to recently salvaged examples of Marian improved Rocket Launcher technology, then under evaluation at Hellfire Corner. These were light and simplistic weapons, which could eventually be easily reproduced locally; reliably and in large numbers (Launchers and Rockets), even under very primitive conditions. However; they were dubiously effective in their role for poor accuracy and their single-shot nature. The RLs made a dismal contrast to more reliable LRMs. However, they offered a massive initial barrage capability and this, together with raw necessity forced the evaluation board to accept the choice from the starkly limited options on the table at the time. However; the drive for better would carry on through later programs.

The new prototypes were hurriedly evaluated and approved for field trials, with pre-production examples reaching the troops by December of 3069 where they were immediately put to use. The original XU-1A Prototypes having long-since been consigned to a training and support role, from which the type would later emerge as the “Slick”.

Arriving in the Airmobile formations already pre-named from their trials; the preproduction Dusties quickly overcame their initial stigma. While some users found the YUH-1 model perfect as-delivered; others parties demanded additional changes, which were quickly implemented on the production line as the type-standardized MUH-1, beginning in October of 3070. These began to reach SLDFiE units the following year.

These modifications necessitated further revision of the Dusty’s passive defences and weapons systems. The last vestige of the XU-1A disappeared with the removal of the Diverse Optics ERML in favour of a standard Medium Laser. The ad-hoc nature of this modification led to a variety of different models of laser being used at one time or another according to the supply situation at the time, until Longbranch Munitions Unlimited got their Model-A Laser production line running in the late-70s. The Diverse Optics laser and it’s associated extra heatsink had been removed to free up mass for an upgrade to the Rocket Launchers, along with the replacement of the standard-level protection armour for superior and lighter armour. The former having been instituted as a stopgap measure to get the Dusty into production until first adequate supplies of suitable Ferro-Fibrous armour could be acquired and then produced locally by Kurp Gun & Foundry.

As the design has matured it has been modified in the field into a large number of variants; most of which were later type-standardized and some numbers of which can still be found in service today, even while most have been supplemented by more specialized types. The Dusty has been further modified, itself into a variety of more distinct sub-types; most notably the heavier gunship models and the Slick cargo helicopter. Most famously; the Dusty, especially in prototype-form is well-known as the basis for the later Anaconda Omni-Gunship.

Description:

The Dusty follows the simple layout of the ancient Iroquois; an oblong “Pod-on-a-Stick” supported by a rugged skid undercarriage fitted with extendable taxi wheels and flying by means of a semi-conventional arrangement of a four-bladed main rotor and a NOTAR (NO-Tail-Rotor) turbine on the end of the tail.

It has a high-visibility “Glasshouse” plasteel cockpit canopy and a stepped-down “Dog-Nose”.

Access to the cargo/troop bay is by an improved version of the Iroquois’ vertically-opening double-cantilevered, wide-aperture side-doors.

Weapons stations are prominent; the nose-mounted Medium Laser is found in a round, limited-traverse ball-turret built into the nose of the aircraft and the Sustained-Fire-Lasers are held in waist-positions where they are served by the gunner and crew chief and aimed with assistance of the Icon Four-Way System.

The rocket pods are found slung under simple, semi-modular armatures; holdovers from the XU-1A’s OmniTech. These are designated T156 and found below the rear of the troop doors, above the skids and often obscure the taxi wheels in most pictures.

The lasers are each capable of a safe 90’ of movement in azimuth and a “high degree of elevation and depression” with the Icon Computer System featuring a fire-interrupt circuit to prevent shooting into the Dusty’s own main rotor blades. The rockets are normally aimed and fired by the pilot by changing the flight profile of the aircraft with the aid of a holographic deflector sight. The Medium Laser is normally aimed and fired by the co-pilot, but either system can be transferred to the opposite station at need or preference and both controlled from either position, if required.

Capabilities:

The Dusty is well-protected by any modern standard and ludicrously over-armoured by the standards prominent 100 years ago. It can easily sustain a full-strength ClanTech ERPPC strike on either the nose or sides and even a hit to the comparatively vulnerable tail-boom will merely strip it to toilet paper. In this respect it, it fully meets the requirements laid out by the New Model Army Cadre in the Mid-60s. This was the era of MHI and therefor; extensive protection for VTOLs was in vouge, but this much armour is still noteworthy 30 years after the Dusty first debuted for its inclusion in what ended up being a troop-carrier.

The MUH-1’s top speed of 162kph makes the 130kph specification seem “mere” and indeed it was, even by the standards of the day. Combat experience in the Jihad has only deepened the perception of slow VTOLs as deathtraps for their crews and white elephants for their owners. This level of mobility, while still nothing compared to the much lighter and basically unprotected forebearers of the 20th century, when combined with the impressive passive protection on offer makes the Dusty a highly survivable ride for its precious cargo. This is one of the main reasons for the type’s high and steady popularity among all those who have to ride into battle inside the Dusty and is a feature maintained for the most part across almost all models and variants.

In service the Twin-Thrust/Rotodyne-II has proven robust and reliable and the low-price tag compared to an Extra-Lite powerplant kept procurement costs manageable. Because all the TT/RD family share common components; training and maintenance have benefitted. One leftover of the Dusty’s modular roots is the retained feature that the reactor and gearbox and naturally the rotor system can be removed and replaced with relative speed and ease. This helps keep these machines flying, even after battle damage that should render them beyond economical repairability. To this end; standard equipment for any Dusty unit is a stock of spare engines, gearboxes and rotor units to be swapped-in as-needed to keep their “Crates” flying while damaged parts are cannibalized or refurbished.

The heart of the aircraft and its reason for being, however is the troop bay. This system; developed in parallel by a separate ICOM engineering team under Project: STRINGBAG was to have far-reaching consequences well beyond the remit of the PAVE THUNDER program. By this point; the Orders of Battle and Tables of Organization & Equipment for the New Model Army were very well-advanced. The SOG Veterans had settled on a version of their 60-man platoons as the standard infantry tactical organization. The goal of STRINGBAG was to produce a standardized platoon troop-bay which could be common across all platforms in all kinds of units. The Project was initiated days after PAVE THUNDER following the first floating of the idea of a common troop bay in the very first official meetings of the PAVE THUNDER team. This led to the breaking off of the troop bay team into their own Project, designated; STRINGBAG.

A simple model was constructed using folding chairs and triwall cardboard. The services of a mixed platoon of untrained recruits and seasoned veterans was allocated as the test-dummies. This mix ensured a compromise of intuitive layout with high-functionality and the basic model was laid down in only three weeks. The “Dummy” trials involved the mixed platoon loading and off-loading various kinds of equipment, stores, supplies and personal kit in addition to the platoon itself. This established a basic layout of four ranks of 15 seats in various configuration; with a varying number of jumpseats incorporated according to the peculiar demands of each type of vehicle. The basic model included space for storing a soldier’s full personal kit, access to basic life-support equipment, utilities, platoon stores and even a simplistic minimum-one-seat toilet stall. A decontamination configuration was standard permitting the platoon to self-decontaminate from a hostile environment given sufficient time, over no more than two instances before replenishment. These basic models were disassembled and re-assembled in a variety of configurations and placed at the top of ramps, inside various door-arrangements and even on top of GALEX containers and accessed by ladders. Throughout the process; the platoon itself took part in the holo table sessions, working with the engineers and systemologists to provide suggestions and feedback on various tweaks as the program went on.

Afterwards; a more experienced Battle Armour Platoon was tasked with proofing the basic layout for various arrangements and types of Battle Armour Squads. This too led to further refinements and quickly proved successful.

The prototypes (having moved on from the “Pillow Fort” stage of the experiment) featured fold-down quick-stowing seats/benches, tie-downs and special equipment brackets which allowed for use of the Platoon Bay by units with small support vehicles, particular support weapons, heavy equipment, cargo, stretcher cases, the above-mentioned Powered Armour Suits in various configurations, or even for sleeping. At need; airlocks could be erected from kits inside the troop bay, although they made things very cramped and have not proven popular in practice.

The methodology of STRINGBAG permitted prototypes and sub-modules of the “Universal Infantry/Cargobay” to be delivered to the PAVE THUNDER team in plenty of time for their incorporation with minimal modifications into the expanded Iroquois design. The PAVE THUNDER team called these early pre-production modules “STRINGBAG kits” and this is the name that has stuck in place of the unpronounceable suggested variations on U-I-C after it was realized that “Ick-You” was the best outcome from that anyone was going to get. This has transmogrified itself over the years into the common appellation of simply; “Stringbag” as SLDF troops talk about getting “In and out of the Stringbag” as a slang-term for the universal phenomena of military uniform confusion. This works out, as in the common culture of many worlds; “string-bags” are utility items made of synthetic or natural fibres in a net-like weave used to transport groceries, cleaning items and any other not-to-sharp sundries. As string-bags are said to expand to hold “Whatever Grandma needs them to” and SLDF soldiers often joke amongst themselves that they must not be too sharp to pass up 5-20 years of safer, more profitable labour in favour of military service in exchange for Citizenship*; the appellation has proven popular. Indeed; despite the odd number of jump seats (from 0 in the Rayshark to 10 in the upgraded version of the Kangaroo); it often seems to the denizens of the “Stringbag” that they always have more shoved in with them than they really have space for. As such; the spectacle of an infantry carrier being used as a clown car is a popular light hearted display in the midst of parades and outreach events.

*3rd League Civilians may occasionally make similar observations or jokes, but rarely around Citizens.

The “Stringbag” worked out brilliantly in it’s first incarnation with the Dusty and troops using them universally praise their utility and ease of use; especially in mounting and dismounting. Production of Stringbag components and sub-assemblies is a common theme among the cottage industries of the 3rd League and demand for new units and replacement parts is consistent and substantial.

While initially appearing confusing and complex to a neophyte; regular rehearsals and detailed “Stringbag classes” in training ensure that not only are SLDF infantry comfortable and familiar with the “Stringbag’s” nuances, but that marrying-up drills are minimized in practice, even with atypical vehicle assignments. The “Stringbag” has since been successfully modified and adapted for use in many other infantry carriers, making the original aims of the Project a success. It has been expanded to accommodate several platoons; even full mechanized and motorized forces and broken down to single squads and less. Indeed; the basic layouts, arrangements, utilities and limited comforts have become common for almost all rider/passenger temporary accommodations on SLDF vehicles from the smallest weapons carrier to the largest space-faring warships.

With all this; it is no great surprise that the armament of the Dusty became something of an afterthought in the end and this factor led directly to the specification for the “Assault Helicopter” as influenced by some other, more heavily armed types and eventually filled by the infamous “Krokodil”.

As-built; the earlier XU-1A prototypes had been much more heavily armed in most respects that either the YUH-1 preproduction examples or the mainstay MUH-1s which would see the SLDFiE through the 5th Succession War to the present day.

The MUH-1 did have some advantages however and the canny crews and tactics of the Air Cav have made sure to learn how to maximize those in action.

While the nose-mounted Medium Laser remains a sticking point; it is inarguably a reliable weapon within it’s firing range. However, as crews point out; this range is too short by modern standards and ever since the ER-version on the YUH was down-graded, Dusty crews have been agitating for it’s return.

However; the waist-mounted Sustained-Fire Lasers are a favourite and only rarely removed. They aren’t very powerful against a well-protected target; but time and again have proven able to reach out farther than a foe might expect to deal damage accurately. Against infantry, it’s another story and the SFLs are gruesomely effective when used on troops in the open.

The original LRM launcher is sorely missed, but the replacement rocket pods, mounting paired RL/15s have their uses nonetheless. Deemed “accurate enough” in trials; all Dusty crews can at least hit the ground with them and when used en masse; they can create a devastating barrage. Naturally; they are handicapped by their single-use nature. Continuing efforts to roll out Superior Rocket technology look to change some of this with longer-ranged, more accurate munitions. But most Dusty variants will soldier on with their “Pepperboxes” as the crews call them, for the foreseeable future.

Dusty Squadrons in the SLDF’s Air Cavalry and Air Mobile Alea have learned to use tactics which maximize the advantages of their weapon systems and minimize their shortcomings. Massed fire is one such which applies well to not just the Dusty, but most smaller combat vehicles of any type. But key to the survivability of the platform is for an overly-aggressive pilot not to get the crew and their ship in over their heads. While the Dusty is a tough bird; ultimately, its armament is too weak to make it a large threat or permit more then vigorous, but weak self-defence. However; the SFLs and Rocket Launchers can be very useful in certain situations; particular against slower or less-well-protected foes.

The Westinghouse Shortband communications system was totally adequate, as-delivered; but later-on developed interoperability shortfalls when working with other, later VTOLs. So, beginning in 3083; the entire Dusty fleet was retrofitted with the Long-Talk IIB. This unit was the same as that used in the Anaconda, which had been developed from the ground-up as a system designed to operate with a broader range of differential systems. The Long-Talk IIB is an overall less-capable system with shorter range and more vulnerability to jamming. However; it has better Radio Re-Broadcast capabilities, frequency-hopping and handshake protocols than the Shortband, which is a better stand-alone unit. As such; the Shortband remains in service on other platforms and is found in the basic equipment of all Mobile HQ Suites in SLDF service.

Icon Computer Systems delivered prototypes of the Four-Way Fire-Control System early on in the PAVE THUNDER program to a requirement for a single system able to coordinate, control and assist weapons fire across multiple arcs. As the name suggests; while it is normally under-utilized across most platforms; the system is capable of controlling fire across a 360’ arc, even though most versions of the Dusty at most use 270’ or less. The Mk.3b is the final version perfected with the XU-1A and does its job well. Before the Four-Way; early armament test-rigs required a jury-rigged mess of a separate FCS unit for each weapons station.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2019, 15:36:00 »
Deployment:

Dusties are the standard equipment of most Air Mobile forces in the SLDF. Other types which fulfill similar roles; such as the Krokodil, Choctaw and Labrador are only a fraction as common or well-known. The Dusty is also found as the transport for most of the air-mobile augmentee formations in non-airmobile forces. Though the Dusty is still broadly considered a “multirole” or Utility-VTOL, it is primarily a troop carrier. So while the closely-related Slick and Gunships will adhere to set organizational structures similar to those of other VTOL formations in the SLDF; the Dusty is organized into Alae or “Wings”. These organizations vary widely in size and shape, but they adhere to the structure and needs of the Infantry forces which are their reason for being.

Within the SLDF a given infantry unit has access to a number of Alae or “Wings” of transportation assets. These vary by the type of infantry formation being looked at. Infantry are combined with their Alae for tactical-operational mobility and support. An infantry unit and its Ala (the singular of Alae) become a single combined-arms organization described with terminology dating back to Terra’s ancient Roman Legions. Thus, a dismounted infantry Company is simply a Company; but a Company operating with the direct support of it’s Ala becomes a Century (going some way to explaining why the SLDF Sergeants Major course is call “Centurion School”).  The Ala commander is subordinate to the Infantry commander within the Legionary organization.

In this; the Air Cavalry has it easy; for every infantry formation; there is a helicopter transport unit to move and fight with them.  They almost always work with the same Ala, unless a given mission calls for an allocation from higher assets of something different. This is by definition unusual; but it is part of where and how Air Cavalry Officers earn their commissions. For the troops, little differs; thanks mainly to the Stringbag internal arrangements common to all SLDF combat transports as noted, above.

A ground Infantry unit, however; will have more or fewer Alae than it needs depending on its role. A Heavy Infantry unit will have many and group the unneeded assets into a separate “Armoured Group” and/or a “Air Assault Group” and use it as a mobile reserve. A Light Infantry unit of any kind will have a few Alae held at a higher level and allocated on an as-needed basis. Thus; these units actually need some practice in their marrying up-drills. The Heavy Infantry will mission-tailor their transport options to the situation and thus working with a different Ala than normal is not abnormal for a Heavy Infantry unit. A Light Infantry formation; while it may lack such assets in theory rarely has both need and opportunity to make use of them in practice due to the nature of Light Infantry operations.

The SLDF’s Panzergrenadiers have it easiest of all; these platoon-sized forces which are part of Mech and Tank Lances and Platoons (but not Armoured Cavalry) will use the same mode of transportation on every single mission; because they always need it and it is all they have.

The Dusty is ubiquitous to Air Cavalry Formations, as noted. Dusty Alae are also found in the Aviation Support Groups of infantry and Armoured Formations, as well as within the various Light and Specialist Infantry formations. When assigned as the infantry transportation to a Mech Lance or non-Cavalry Tank Platoon; the Infantry so equipped are then designated as “Luftpanzergrenadiers” or “Raketen-Luftpanzergrenadier”, if equipped with Jump Packs.

Dusty units attached directly to Infantry; such as the Air Cavalry’s Aero-Dragoons or as in the case of Luftpanzergrenadiers, benefit from the additional side-training open to these soldiers. Because they will work with the same assets all of, or almost all of the time; Infantry soldiers in such units have access to elective SLDF courses providing technical training which is useful in their upkeep. Because these skills are directly applicable to later life as citizens. This is one of the reasons why duty in such units is highly sought as these options are not open to “straight-leg” or even other “bent-leg” infantrymen; whose Alae comrades would *much rather* do all the maintenance themselves than risk the “help” of bored or under-utilized “pedestrians”. The practical benefit is that any given Dusty crew can count on the normal assistance of anywhere from 2-6 at least semi-qualified AsTechs in every Aero-Rifle platoon. This is in addition to each ship’s fully AsTech-Qualified Crew Chief and the normal technical staff of a Dusty Squadron, whatever it’s Ala composition.

In its role as a utility helicopter; the Dusty has few weaknesses transporting infantry and light cargo. Where it is replaced by a different type, it is always for a good reason.

The Dusty is also found in service with other 3rd League Member State Armies to a lesser degree than the near-universal employment it enjoys in the SLDF; except for the Nova Cats and Diamond Sharks; which prefer the Anhur.

It has enjoyed some notable export success; but almost only through de-enriched export-specific models, as the Sustained-Fire Laser has yet to catch on outside the 3rd League. Many users have noted that the Dusty makes an excellent Battle Armour carrier, no matter what squad-size is used.

Small quantities of many variants can by now be found in most realms, but notable customers include some militaries in the Andurian Pact, the Calderon Protectorate, Capellan Confederation, various mercenaries and Clan Hell’s Horses. The Horses are suspected to have procured the type specifically to study the Stringbag system for possible reverse-engineering and adaptation to their own forces. The Fitvelt Coalition is also known to employ the type, but to what extent is not known.

A small number of Dusties of post-war manufacture have been identified in service with some elements of the DCMS, but the Procurement Office claims to have no knowledge of how they were acquired and is attempting to have the ISF seize them as contraband. So far, they have been unsuccessful.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2019, 19:23:10 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2019, 15:50:12 »
Variants:

XU-1

Lightweight flight-test and technology demonstrator. The XU-1 was a mainly empty version of the later UX-1A’s airframe, equipped with an earlier powerplant design that had not yet been fully developed.

XU-1A

The Prototypes delivered to the Air Cavalry for Evaluation. These were heavier than the XU-1 at 30 tons, but better armed and armoured. The XU-1A used the Twin-Thrust/Rotodyne-1 XL Engine, which was actually both less powerful and more expensive than what became the TT/RD-II; which is a Lite Fusion Engine.

The XU-1A’s weapons fit had borrowed heavily from SOG Air Cavalry’s experience with the ComStar-Built Pinto. As such it mounted an LRM-system and three lasers; with two of these mounted to cover the sides and all three changed to types thought better-suited to the New Model Army’s requirements.

Most notable, however was the feature of the XU-1A’s OmniTech; intended at the time to make the aircraft the first modular VTOL in service anywhere. This effort was to make the prototypes able to meet the more ambitions multirole requirements of the original specification; the evaluation team simply didn’t see the point at the time and the UX-1A’s modular utility was filed-away for future reference. This technology would later reappear in the Anaconda, but the modern Dusty retains a degree of semi-modularity; which has led to easy modification into many variants.

Following the failed evaluation; the XU-1A prototypes were allocated to the New Model Army as training assets and support vehicles. As time went on, the non-essential weapons were removed. This led to an ever-increasing cargo capacity in the already large internal OmniBay. Eventually these modifications led to the prototypes for the later HH-1 “Slick”.

YUH-1

These were the early pre-production models, which first reached SLDF Air-Mobile units for field trials in late 3069/early 3070. By this time; the name “Dusty” was already inextricably linked to the type through the trainers which came with them and stuck through the huge clouds of dust the large single-rotors kicked up on landing and takeoff.

The YUH-1 was less well-protected than the later MUH-1, due to the use of standard Longanecker Plastisteel armour provided by Lockheed/CBM, but arguably better armed with a Diverse Optics ER Medium Laser, in exchange for smaller Earthwerks FFAR RL/10s.

MUH-1A

Simple field modification performed on MUH-1s at the preference of crews, limited by the availability of appropriate materiel. This is a basic swap of the RL/15s for any of a half-dozen models of RL/10 and the weight saved going to an additional heatsink to handle the upgrade of the nose-mounted laser back to an extended-range model.

This is a fairly popular modification, as these things go, as it answers the main issue that Dusty crews have with the basic MUH-1. Roughly 10% of the Dusties in SLDF service and 20% in service with 3rd League Member State militaries and mercenaries are ‘-1A models.

MUH-1E

E-Models are de-enriched builds in various grades for the export market. It is possible, though not always economical, to modify or rebuild E-Models into the more advanced versions and vice-versa and sometimes; E-Models are even offered at discounted prices, having been built from BER (Beyond Economical Repairability) MUH-1s.

The ‘-1E is the most minimal variation from the SLDF-Standard ‘-1; the SFLs are simply swapped for ER Small Lasers. Historically; ‘-1Es have been occasionally taken into SLDF service when demand for Dusties is high. Rarely; ‘-1Es are created by crews out of preference or for lack of replacement SFLs. But less than 5% of the Dusties in SLDF service are ‘-1Es.

This alteration dramatically reduces the ‘-1E’s capacity to suppress a hot Landing Zone as the troops are off-loading, but on the other hand, while it seems off to think in these terms when speaking of small lasers; the ERSLs are 200% better at defeating armour than an SFL.

Original MUH-1s recovered and put into service following the end of the Jihad, or those whose users simply run out of spares to keep the SFLs working, are typically modified into this configuration.

A wide variety of ER Small Lasers are used, but the configuration does not support a full ER-upgrade for the entire laser suite without further, one-off modifications.

MUH-1EZ

This model downgrades the TT/RD-II power plant to a -IIS Model, which in turn drops the unit-price to well below 1 Million in 3099 C-Bills, equivalent.

The cost in additional mass is paid for by the weapons systems, which are reduced to a pair of waist-mounted Light Machine Guns and a pair of pod-mounted RL/10s on the T156 mounts.

ICOM will furnish the -1EZ Model with whatever combination of makes of LMG and RLs the customer prefers, but the normal offering is for copies of the Sperry-Browning for the LMGs and Sun Turtle/Kurp “Mighty Mouse” RL/10s.

MUH-1EZA

This model exchanges the fusion-powered Twin-Thrust for an AVRO Eggbeater Multi-Fuel Turbine, in the shuffle; the Rocket Launchers and some armour have been sacrificed.

MUH-1EZA1

The ‘-1EZA1 is similar to the ‘-1EZA, as one might deduce, but has been further simplified by the exchange of the Ferro-Fibrous Armour for a locally-manufactured version of Longanecker Plastisteel. New Frontier has been successful in selling a number of these aircraft to various deep-periphery buyers, including the Goliath Scorpions and Jarnfolk.

MUH-1M

The MUH-1M is an update to the basic ‘-1 Model Dusty. The ‘M’ standing for modernized. The ‘-1M is a simple upgrade swapping the older RL systems of the ‘-1 and ‘-1A models for new De Haviland-Rimward VRC-12 Superior-Grade Launchers. Because SRLs are lighter; all ‘-1M rebuilds feature a Zeiss M5 Extended Range Medium Laser in the nose blister and the associated extra Consolidated-built heatsink.

Dusty Crews are being assured that the ‘-1M Model is only a stopgap until the MUH-2M is available in numbers.

Bastion Island is already turning out factory-grade ‘-1Ms off their main production line beside older MUH-1s. It is expected that full phase-out will begin next year when the SRL Supply stabilizes, but from there; re-tooling an ‘-1 line to produce ‘-1Ms is nearly trivial. At current; not all ‘-1s returned for depot-level servicing can even be upgraded to ‘-1Ms as part of the ongoing Service-Lift Extension Program. But the goal is for this to be the major source of the ‘-1M model going forward, with all MUH-1 production for domestic use to be halted by FY 3102/3103.

Nah Trang and Bastion Island are rumoured to be getting direction to begin bringing the limited new tooling, already on-hand into service beginning in the first three months of 3100, when it is expected that that SRL production will begin to hit its stride. There are no bottlenecks to supply of Zeiss’ upgraded version of the Martel Model 5.

MUH-2M

This is the fully-upgraded ClanTech version of the Dusty. Available now, only as a preproduction model; a few have already reached frontline units with more to come. Full production is several years away, but eventually it is planned to replace all MUH-1 models in SLDF service with the MUH-2M. However, it is expected that most units will be upgrading from ‘-1Ms and not skipping directly to the ‘-2M model due to the simply huge amount of Dusties in service.

In common with the Anaconda-upgrade program, which is further ahead and higher-priority; the ‘-2M is faster, better protected and better armed, but few details are available at this time.

The shortfalls inherent in the fixed, semi-modular configuration of the Dusty as-delivered led directly to a whole family of specialized variants. Many of these were first developed as one-off field-modification and later standardized and others were factory-variants from the outset to fulfil critical requirements of the Air Cavalry.

AH-2ARA Dusty Arial Rocket Artillery

Dedicated fire-support platform. The early realities of equipping the Air Cavalry precluded widespread deployment of a mobile long-range indirect-fire capability. the ARA-variant was developed to fill the gap with an airborne LRM-based system. This capability was retained due to the persistent usefulness of the ARA Variant for full-spectrum fire support. (SEE SEPARATE ENTRY)

Dusty Gunships

First improvised and then developed as factory examples later-on in order to provide direct-fire support for Aero-Dragoon units in-contact and to support regular Air Cav operations. Retained due to the large-scale requirement for VTOL fire support in place of ‘Mechs and Tanks. (SEE SEPARATE ENTRY)

OH-1 Dusty Scout Helicopter

Early stopgap developed to fulfill the reconnaissance mission. (SEE SEPARATE ENTRY)

OH-1N Dusty Spotter Helicopter

Specialist variant created to fill the shortfalls of the OH-1 in the forward air control mission. (SEE SEPARATE ENTRY)

Scout versions of the Dusty have been retained in service to provide VTOL reconnaissance capability to diverse formations, mainly outside the Air Cavalry.

MH-1 Dusty Special Operations Helicopter

The MH-1 was created to meet the needs of the expansive SLDF Special Operations Community for a covert insertion and extraction vehicle. (SEE SEPARATE ENTRY)

Anaconda Gunship

The Anaconda Gunship was developed from the Dusty and uses many common components in the flight surfaces, controls and some parts of the airframe. (SEE SEPARATE ENTRY)

Slick Cargo Helicopter

The Slick was developed from the XU-1A as a dedicated medium-lift cargo VTOL, with the Dusty considered adequate for the light-cargo mission. (SEE SEPARATE ENTRY)
« Last Edit: 02 October 2019, 19:18:46 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2019, 15:51:25 »
Battle History:

The Dusty proved a rude surprise to the enemies of the SLDFiE as it became available. While extensive trials and training had ensured that the SLDFiE was intimately familiar with the capabilities of the craft, the Dusty was so much more capable than the machines it replaced that the Word of Blake Militia and other forces especially were unprepared for the capabilities of the craft.

This was most ably demonstrated at the Battle of The Bald Narrows on Ko in 3074.

The Narrows are a series of long, fertile valleys on the Jingtau continent; they have been clear-cut of any significant forest, but are instead blanketed in fields; thus the name. Elements of the 1st Cavalry Division were tasked with wresting the valleys from WOBM and Protectorate Militia Forces. These were dug in with light fortifications on the sides of the valleys, honey-combed in tunnels running through them and in fortified bases on the valley floors. Due to the generally-low vulnerability of such targets to artillery-fire in this environment; the Aero-Dragoons had to clear the valley the hard way.

Here; the Dusty’s armour and maneuverability proved a great asset.

Lacking much in the way of dedicated anti-aircraft assets; the Wobblies were making do with what they had; principally a small number of Vanquisher Assault Mechs with their formidable Garret TTS units. These were able to land hits on the troublesome VTOLs, but were rarely able to down them before they were out of their arc of fire. Dusty Crews braved this fire again and again to insert, extract and resupply troops in contact; often at great risk. Outside their direct impact on the battlefield; the mass employment of VTOLs forced these impressive assets away from a direct-combat role where the SLDF troops would have been hard-pressed to neutralize them and into a tactical position where their parent formations were denied the value of their heavy armour, but their somewhat meagre firepower was desperately needed to attempt to protect WOB-aligned forces from the multi-vectored assault of the 1st Cavalry Division.

However; well-protected does not equal invulnerable and unsuited does not equal incompetent and the 1st Cavalry Division suffered significant losses. What made the difference what that the Dusty’s protection and speed often meant that these losses cam in the form of aircraft which had to be retired and scrapped *after* completing their missions, rather than being shot down in action.

Throughout the battle; SLDFiE Crews had many instances in which to be thankful for the ease of handling and rugged design of the Dusty over the mix of VTOLs they had finally retired only a year before.

WOB forces found Air Cav rocket barrages to be devastating when either massed against ground targets or concentrated in overwhelming numbers on a single ‘Mech or tank. Used by Dusties in singles, pairs or even teams of VTOLs; the effect was often much less spectacular. But a whole squadron or troop firing together was simply murderous, with a unique, indiscriminate destructiveness all their own.

Sustained-Fire Lasers proved a nuisance that hostile forces never got the hang of throughout the course of the war. Many times; an enemy would consider themselves safely beyond reach, only to receive continuous, accurate, pin-prick fire, slowly eroding nerves and armour.

Endless harassment from VTOLs and the inexorable advance of SLDF Aero-Dragoon Infantry eventually broke the WOB forces on-world and they attempted to retreat out of the cover of the Narrows only to run head-long into the dug-in positions of more infantry emplaced by their VTOLs to prevent escape. The Word of Blake regulars were destroyed almost to the man in the ensuring encirclement and the Protectorate Militia forces, what was left of them, surrendered; demoralized and beaten.

The special bond of Dusty crews to ‘Their’ Troops was never on better-proven than during the Second Liberation of Terra.

Here, SLDFiE vertical envelopment tactics were on full display; whether launched from Dropships or forward staging areas; shock units of Airmobile formations disrupted WOB defenses and seized vital ground again and again in concert with more mobile ground troops and airborne assaults. However, this meant not just braving concentrated groundfire on the way in and out once, but facing WOB’s gunners again and again to resupply the troops, extract casualties and shuffle combat power to where it was most needed.

The loss of any Dusty might mean the loss of sixty or more infantry along with the crew and SLDFiE Casualties remained heavy.

But whenever called on; Dusty crews never shied from whatever was needed of them and many died desperately trying to reach ‘Their People’, trapped, cut-off and surrounded by desperate, merciless Blakist forces.

For the Terran campaign alone, 43 individual Dusty crews were awarded Citizen’s Unit Citations and 65 crewmembers were awarded the 3rd League’s highest Honour; The Cross of Valour, in Germanium, with Swords and Diamonds. Most of these awards were posthumous.

The Skye Campaign, however; was a very different kind of war. And this called for the New Model Army to reach back to their roots and call upon the lessons and experience of SOG Veterans. The fighting in the Isle of Skye would be the last time this well of experience was either available in the main, or broadly necessary. This was because many of the remaining active SOG veterans were killed or invalidated-out during the campaign, but by then they had passed-on their hard-won lessons to their successors.

When the Free Skye Movement sided with the Word of Blake in return for support and assurances of independence; it touched off a brutal multi-sided war that lasted for most of the Jihad. Finally, having all-but lost the region to encroaching Clan forces, WOB “Peacekeepers” and the separatists; the Lyran government asked the SLDFiE for help.

The SLDFiE benefitted from contingency planning which had been ongoing, even among SOG Planners dating back to the late 50s and when the Lyrans called, these well-polished plans were swung into action and prepared reserve forces swung quickly into action.

This became one of the New Model Army’s longest campaigns of the war and over time; every part of the SLDFiE would fight in Skye and beyond its borders against the multivariate threats to this fragment of Lyran territory.

Key to this effort was rapid-mobility and key to mobility was usually the Dusty.

SLDFiE Forces used their Dusties and other VTOLs alongside dropships to rapidly respond and maneuver to find, trap and destroy Free Skye cells and larger main force units. The intelligence gathered in the conflict was useless without units with the mobility and initiative to make use of it and the structure of the SLDFiE ensured that it had both of these in excess.

The Dusty proved a literal nightmare for Free Skye and when the movement was finally broken in late 3081, the final after-action reports often credited the workhorse VTOLs for their efficiency, durability under fire, reliability and the sheer skill and courage of their crews.

Finally passing control of the region from military governors to Civilian control in 3085, it was ensured that all the lessons and tools were in place to make certain that the Free Skye movement could never rise again. This included several hundred Dusties, left behind at the end of the fighting as “Surplus” to the needs of the 3rd League. Most of these were later destroyed by the Skye government for political reasons or passed to the later LCAF or Republic for study, but it is telling that they were quickly replaced by other VTOLs which were then practiced in the same tactics and operations the SLDFiE had used during the conflict.

Notable Vehicles and Pilots:

The Oh-Thirty-One is a restored MUH-1 Dusty with wartime flying hours from the 5th Succession War. It is fully operational and maintained and owned by a small charitable foundation in the 3rd League. The 031 and its crew move around the Canton Worlds raising money for social and veteran’s causes. The primary vehicle for fundraising is offering flights in the 031 to large donors and lottery-draw winners. The 031 crew always make sure to offer free rides to SLDF Veterans wishing to relive their original youth, especially those suffering from post-combat physical or psychiatric injuries.

031 is still carried on the active rolls of the 1st Cavalry Division in an Honourary role, despite having been officially retired and sold as surplus in 3090.

The crew are all Territorial Army Volunteer members, with their full term of service completed and the entire foundation enjoys heavy representation from Air Cav Veterans.

On occasion; 031 has been called into service for Search and Rescue tasks and has seen action against pirates, Clan raiders and mercenaries on a half-dozen occasions the crew is willing to acknowledge publicly. Generous donations keep 031 flying and functional, though being a Dusty keeps this light work.

Major John J. McKay

McKay was a Dusty pilot flying in support of the 196th Light Infantry Brigade during the Jihad. He was noted for playing loud music from speakers custom mounted on his bird and for his aggressive, flamboyant style. He was badly wounded late in the war during a raid on a POW compound while seconded to an ad-hoc SLDF-SOF unit and lost a leg; since replaced by a vat-grown limb. Following a brief career as a civilian VTOL an fixed-wing pilot, he returned to the SLDF to serve in the 196th’s aviation support unit.

He makes sure to stay where he; is at the highest rank where he can still fly regularly, with his “Triarii” Status. Now a Major; McKay is highly decorated and pilots a custom Dusty, incorporating Clan Technology. His personal ride; “Goldilocks” served as the pattern for the new MUH-2M variant and he helped trial the new Superior Rocket Launchers during the earliest troop-trials.

Command Warrant Officer-3 Jenny Gail

CW3 Gail is a flight surgeon with the 99th Evacuation Hospital, which is part of the flagship 1st SOG Division. Earlier in life; she earned her wings during her initial commitment and later went to medical school where she was trained as a thoracic surgeon. Following her residency and craving excitement; Jenny returned to the colours and has recently served in MASH and Evac Hospitals with the 35th CAAN Division.

However; she retains her full flying qualifications as a Dusty Pilot. Twice, while flying to attend personally to patients which could not be moved otherwise; she has had to put her skills to use and take over for a wounded pilot, co-pilot or crew chief. Rumours that she has, in fact; *stolen* a Dusty on several occasions to personally extract wounded by herself are exaggerated from these two incidences.

Tech-5 Karl Slater

Slater was a Crew Chief on a Dusty during the 5th Succession War and claimed to have killed over 2000 enemy combatants with his Sustained-Fire Laser during his time in the war; 3070-3082. However; his claim was never proven. Slater disappeared in 3089 and has never been heard from since. There are rumours he joined a mercenary unit operating off Galatea, but no-one knows.

He has a son; William, who is a Door Gunner attached to the LuftPanzerGrenadier assets of The Death Shroud; McKenna’s Household guards.

Key Recognition Features:

Easily Confused for: Iroquois

Key features: overall “Pod-on-a-stick” configuration; “The Abbreviated Pogo”.
-fixed skid under carriage
-elongated, flattened, pod-like fuselage with stepped-down “Dog Nose”
-Long, narrow tail, with NOTAR turbine. Horizontal Stabilizers located two thirds out from fuselage, twin-V vertical stabilizers
-the nose-mounted Medium Laser Blister/Ball Mount and Rocket Pods are prominent.

Features to avoid:
-SFL waist positions are difficult to identify definitively, despite being quite noticeable; they may easily contain other weapons and thus lead to misidentification.
-Skid-mounted Taxi Wheels are often obscured by Rocket Pods.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2019, 19:21:56 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2019, 16:40:50 »
I like it, and yes nothing sounds like one.

Your Oh-Thirty-One, reminds me of IASAR who I got to see on POW/MIA Weekend 2013 in Old Orchard Beach, Maine and got a ride in.

Thanks for bring back the memories, now need to go find that shirt to wear again
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2019, 18:52:26 »
That's some fantastic fluff work there.  Great job.

What are those "sustained fire lasers" you have on some of the variants?  Is that some sort of custom weapon?

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2019, 21:13:09 »
I like it, and yes nothing sounds like one.

Your Oh-Thirty-One, reminds me of IASAR who I got to see on POW/MIA Weekend 2013 in Old Orchard Beach, Maine and got a ride in.

Thanks for bring back the memories, now need to go find that shirt to wear again

:)

I'm so happy that this could do something for a person like that. Thank YOU DOC_Argen.

That is a very similar organization, I think. I had not heard of them before though! I totally stole 031 from the real 091 "In the Shadow of The Blade" documentary. I have never seen it, but the clips and the song on youtube are just awesome! I am going to check it out when I can.

That's some fantastic fluff work there.  Great job.

What are those "sustained fire lasers" you have on some of the variants?  Is that some sort of custom weapon?

Thank you!

Yes, they are indeed custom. The Der Tag AU has a fair bit of custom equipment; divergent tech, with the divergent timeline. There is a direct link to the lasers next to the entry at the top of the TRO, proper, after the quotes.

Or right here:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=51934.msg1512791#msg1512791

But to summarize; long-range laser machine guns that do next to no damage to major battlefield units, but has a really high negative to-hit modifier.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2019, 21:52:13 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2019, 04:53:50 »
Damn damn nice design and fluff!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2019, 11:03:23 »
Damn damn nice design and fluff!

Thanks man; you're the ace on this stuff.

Did you spot the Jane's additions?

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2019, 20:26:46 »
photobucket sucks and I fixed that.

Also updated the Deployment section.

A.E. Housman

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2019, 18:03:35 »
Which software do you use?

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #12 on: 05 October 2019, 00:06:53 »
Which software do you use?

Mainly HMV. Two of those are in SAW.

I am waiting on fractional accounting and custom weapons before I switch over to MML in a big way.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #13 on: 05 October 2019, 07:45:38 »
SAW doesn't quite do Fractional Accounting right (it doesn't fractionalize controls or turrets, for example).

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #14 on: 05 October 2019, 10:45:23 »
SAW doesn't quite do Fractional Accounting right (it doesn't fractionalize controls or turrets, for example).

I noted that. And then MML fractionalizes some things already...

A.E. Housman

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 08 October 2019, 15:12:44 »
I just feel the need to post this here Sky King  might not be exactly worksafe
Because well I can see him flying the Dusty
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #16 on: 08 October 2019, 21:50:36 »
I just feel the need to post this here Sky King  might not be exactly worksafe
Because well I can see him flying the Dusty

You are not wrong.

A.E. Housman

Register