Author Topic: Kell Hounds mixed Lance  (Read 4391 times)

Nips

• Sergeant
Kell Hounds mixed Lance
« on: 14 June 2016, 08:58:41 »
Grasshopper, Trebuchet, Dervish, Clint, in the typical scheme.

I tried to replicate the look of Jalphoenix's Kell Hounds Atlas over on CamoSpecs.  I'm not happy with my edge highlights, they feel sloppy to me; I need to invest in some higher-quality detail brushes.  My matte topcoat (Army Painter Anti-Shine Matte) also comes out a bit shiny in these pics.

Crits welcome.

Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
Re: Kell Hounds mixed Lance
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2016, 09:33:19 »
Ooooh those look very nice! Always a Kell Hound fan O0
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2016, 15:05:41 »
 O0

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2016, 19:22:20 »
Excellent work, Nips, and you've really got great looking minis.

(Side point - anyone who still thinks plastics can't be as detailed as metals should have a look.)

Re the matt sealer - are you getting close to the end of the can? When my matt sealer starts coming out shiny, that's the usual cause.

Well done!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2016, 20:09:52 »
Yes those are awful, you should send them to me immediately and never speak of your shame again!
  ;)

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2016, 20:44:50 »
Thanks for the praise, guys.  It means a lot; I'm my own worst, most brutal critic.

Re the matt sealer - are you getting close to the end of the can? When my matt sealer starts coming out shiny, that's the usual cause.

Sadly, no.  Plenty of spray left in this can, so I can't blame it on that.  Nor weather; conditions were perfect when I sprayed.  I wonder if my expectations for "Anti-Shine" are just too high.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2016, 21:10:14 »
I'm just using matt polyurethane sealer from the local hardware megastore. Worth investing a few bucks?

One of the great things about varnishing/sealing - most issues/mistakes, including frosting, are solved by another coat ;)

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2016, 21:16:07 »
Nice job. The colors work well.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2016, 21:38:50 »
Shiny! (in more ways than one  :P )

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2016, 03:42:10 »
Nice selection of mini's, well done.

Re: the matt coat spray. I have recently discovered that there is no such thing as a genuine matt coat spray, they are varying degrees of satin finish.

After reading that for best results, thinned down acrylic matt medium should be lightly brushed or airbrushed on, I tried it.

Safe to say it was a revelation and true flat results were achieved.

Careful though, not enough thinning or being heavy handed with the application may result in a chalky white residue building up the matt agent is pumice apparently!.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2016, 03:44:54 by Wikkid »
Be Pure. Be Vigilant. Behave!

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2016, 07:06:48 »
 O0

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #11 on: 16 June 2016, 18:28:31 »
I just started a Kell Hounds Orion myself. I think I should have it finished in a couple days; it's my "prototype" for the scheme so I'm taking my time with it. I'd like to post it here so we can compare notes.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2016, 18:37:14 »
I like the color you chose for the cockpits. Provides nice contrast and looks good.

And your work kind makes me want to paint some of my units as Kell Hounds... sigh, i need more 'Mechs.

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 16 June 2016, 20:26:44 »
I just started a Kell Hounds Orion myself. I think I should have it finished in a couple days; it's my "prototype" for the scheme so I'm taking my time with it. I'd like to post it here so we can compare notes.

Happily!  Spoiler alert, though:  All those blacklined panels were done with a Micron 005 Ink Pen.  Depending on how many models you plan on doing, you might not want to go that route.  I keep telling myself I should stop using it because it feels like a crutch, but then I finish something (after laborious, painstaking inking) and it looks too good to stop doing it.  Better than I've been able to do with washes or painting over black basecoats, anyway.

I like the color you chose for the cockpits. Provides nice contrast and looks good.

Thanks!  The picture's a little washed out, so they're more "neon green" than "pastel white-green" in person.  I also added just a hint of white in the top corners, and then went over them with gloss topcoat.  I was honestly being lazy (well-blended cockpits are so damn hard), but I'm pretty happy with the effect.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #14 on: 16 June 2016, 20:32:08 »
Happily!  Spoiler alert, though:  All those blacklined panels were done with a Micron 005 Ink Pen.  Depending on how many models you plan on doing, you might not want to go that route.  I keep telling myself I should stop using it because it feels like a crutch, but then I finish something (after laborious, painstaking inking) and it looks too good to stop doing it.  Better than I've been able to do with washes or painting over black basecoats, anyway.

I don't have the eyesight or hand-eye coordination left to use micron pens, so it's wash-and-highlight for me.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 16 June 2016, 20:41:05 »
Remember there is an alternative - using a thicker pen (say 0.5mm Uniball) over a red base, and then drybrushing red back over. That covers up any spills or overlays.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #16 on: 16 June 2016, 20:48:06 »
Remember there is an alternative - using a thicker pen (say 0.5mm Uniball) over a red base, and then drybrushing red back over. That covers up any spills or overlays.

I'll try it sometime. Not with this piece, though; the wash seems to have done a good job.

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
« Reply #17 on: 16 June 2016, 21:07:40 »
Beautiful lance ya got their  O0 Great job.
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 16 June 2016, 21:44:47 »
I'll try it sometime. Not with this piece, though; the wash seems to have done a good job.

I use this when I want really strong contrast - it's the basis for the "Worktroll white" approach, where a wash doesn't work as well.

OTOH, I do love my washes, and when brown's the word, the old teak varnish does great panelling:

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #19 on: 16 June 2016, 21:45:56 »
I also just started a lance of Rolling Thunder, so brown is next.

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 18 June 2016, 18:14:42 »
You have got a good looking Lance there. The black looks pretty good.
For taking the shine off, my only spray is Testors Dull-Cote. Never fails me.
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 21 June 2016, 14:29:19 »
Those look great!!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 25 June 2016, 02:55:44 »
Too many pretty things... [drool]

avon1985