Author Topic: Marauder variants from IWM?  (Read 11804 times)

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
Marauder variants from IWM?
« on: 26 February 2011, 01:35:00 »
Hey guys,

Below is a list of the Marauder variants and what is required to build them. All parts are ordered from IronWindMetals (hence why they are here) and some custom fab work may be required with the green, grey, purple, orange, polkadot stuff that modelers use to make their custom parts.

MARAUDER 5R / 9S
- Single Blister Pack (#20-264)

MARAUDER 5D
- Requires the body of an Unseen Marauder II
- Requires a Shadowhawk SRM2 launcher for the chin mount
- Swap the top gun for a cannon from a Stalking Spider Or Something(tm)

MARAUDER 7D
- Straight Marauder Kit - Project Phoenix look? (#20-994)
- The arm of a Rifleman (#20-209) can be chopped down to size. It looks very close. Or maybe the gun sprue (#20-209 C) but not sure what this part actually is!?!?!

NOTES: The bore count won't be exact to your weapon (6 holes instead of 5) but the photo of the 7D from a TRO also has 6 holes instead of 5?!?!?!

MARAUDER 9M / 9M2
- Requires standard Marauder Body (20-994)
- Requires Warhammer IIC SRM6 packs - Put in your ORDER COMMENTS section that you want the SRM6 packs from WH IIC  (#20-233)
- Not sure where to get the arms. IWM only have the single cannon design or encased weapon pod design. They don't seem have the two cannon (one of top of the other) design?
« Last Edit: 05 March 2011, 02:43:58 by OverKill »
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
Re: Marauder variants from IWM?
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2011, 02:24:13 »
The 5D would be made using an Unseen Marauder 2 and putting a Shadowhawk's SRM2 on the chin mount, maybe swapping the top gun for one off a Stalking Spider or something. Personally, I would just use the Mad II mini without chopping it up. However, a ton of the ones you'll find in people's collections have the chin gun broken off and would make perfect guys to make a 5D with minimal hassle.

The 5R is a Project Phoenix mech and you can buy it directly from IWM. It's my 2nd favorite of the PP Marauders (The 3085 one takes top billing).

EDIT: The 5R (not available until the mid-3060's IIRC)

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Mad-5r_marauder.png
« Last Edit: 26 February 2011, 02:33:45 by Sigma »

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2011, 10:09:31 »
Currently, the -5L, -5R, and -9S are available from IWM. The -5L is beastly to build - too many bits, some of which have no purpose being separate. The -5R and -9S come in a single blister, and all that is swapped between them is the AC. Overall, it's an easier build too.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2011, 10:56:23 »
Thanks guys

I have a set of original 3R arms and was either going to use those or cut the IIC arms cause our campaign is just Pre-Invasion. I'll take a look at all the varaints you have discusses here and pick
a chassis type
Colonel Mason Grimm

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2011, 18:44:46 »
So can someone here tell me what parts are needed to make the various Marauder variant styles?

I'm going to order 1x 5R / 9S type but I think I'd also like to make something that has missiles attached to it or maybe even just the stock Marauder (Phoenix style looking one). It's hard to tell what is what since all the pieces are JUNKYARD thumbnailed LOL
Colonel Mason Grimm

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2011, 19:15:29 »
I know that for the 9M and 9M2, people recommend the SRM6s off of the Warhammer IIC.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2011, 22:23:12 »
I know that for the 9M and 9M2, people recommend the SRM6s off of the Warhammer IIC.

You talkin about this bad boy right here?

http://www.solaris7.com/TRO/HTMLBattleMech/BattlemechInfo.asp?ID=13040
Colonel Mason Grimm

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2011, 22:45:49 »
In image, yes. Both the 9M and 9M2 have shoulder mounted SSRM6s. Just about every Marauder follows the same formula in design and should be easy to bash together.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2011, 13:53:31 »
Currently, the -5L, -5R, and -9S are available from IWM. The -5L is beastly to build - too many bits, some of which have no purpose being separate. The -5R and -9S come in a single blister, and all that is swapped between them is the AC. Overall, it's an easier build too.

I didn't see the 5L available anywhere?

In other news... I have modified the OP for this thread so that we can easily keep track of what is required to build each variant and what the part #s are from IWM
Colonel Mason Grimm

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2011, 14:12:55 »
The 5L is the difficult to build one. Marauder 5L

If you want to build one, here's a guide to help.

Also, it might be easier to use the 5R/9S Marauder to make the 9M/9M2. I'm not sure how to get the arms exactly like those in the image.

« Last Edit: 01 March 2011, 14:17:36 by ONE_HELLCAT »

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2011, 20:03:48 »

If you build the 9S you can use the 5R's RAC on a 5L to make the 7D.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2011, 01:21:33 »
Anyone have ideas on how to make those arms on the 9M?

I'm gonna write IWM tonight or tomorrow to see about whether or not they will sell the SRM6s are a separate 1.50 order thingy
Colonel Mason Grimm

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2011, 06:04:05 »
Threw together a quick mockup from spare parts I had laying around. I had to use one of its gun pods in a previous bash so this was a good excuse to fix it back into a full mini. Only had 1 SRM pack though so bear with it. Putty needs more work too once it dries. This what you are going for?

I would expect cutting the normal 9S gunpods would be more accurate but ya work with what you got. But this should show how easy it is to make a 9M.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2011, 07:42:47 »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh so you basically cut the gun pods in half?   [notworthy]

It looks like I'll have to order like 4 of the Marauder kits LOL
Colonel Mason Grimm

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2011, 20:11:46 »
I wonder, as nice as the Whammer IIC 4 missile pods look how would the Whammer IIC 4 arms do as HPPCs? They look pretty bulky...

Looks like I've a new kitbash to try  :P

I've been wanting a MAD-9M2 for some time now.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2011, 20:18:01 by Klat »
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2011, 19:23:37 »
Threw together a quick mockup from spare parts I had laying around. I had to use one of its gun pods in a previous bash so this was a good excuse to fix it back into a full mini. Only had 1 SRM pack though so bear with it. Putty needs more work too once it dries. This what you are going for?

I would expect cutting the normal 9S gunpods would be more accurate but ya work with what you got. But this should show how easy it is to make a 9M.

Marauder IIC (re-seen) arm pods are a nice fit.  Good choice.  Personally I would cut them off at the line in front of the ball joint and attach them to the back half a 9S gun pods (I think that's what you are talking about).

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2011, 21:35:06 »
I'm waiting to hear back on what of those parts can be ordered separately so that I'm not wasting money on kids that are sitting around doing nothing (ie: a Warhammer IIC without SRM6 pods LOL)
Colonel Mason Grimm

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 04 March 2011, 22:30:12 »
The 5 variant of the Warhammer IIC does not use the SRM 6s. So if you had to buy another Warhammer, you can still use it. As far as ordering the parts separately from the scrapyard, they don't seem to have them listed.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 05 March 2011, 02:09:06 »

What would you use to make the actual large laser barrel extensions?

I'm gonna order to 9S models from IWM this week as well as the SRM6 packs from a Warhammer IIC and need to think of something to extend the large laser barrels even just a bit on the 9M and 9M2
« Last Edit: 05 March 2011, 02:14:21 by OverKill »
Colonel Mason Grimm

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 05 March 2011, 10:28:43 »
The 9M2 actually just has two Heavy PPCs instead of four large lasers. I would think that is easier to make.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 05 March 2011, 11:13:24 »
The 9M2 actually just has two Heavy PPCs instead of four large lasers. I would think that is easier to make.

Well I'm trying to actually get ALL of the variants, or as many as I can, listed on the HOW TO section for folks that might want to make their own Marauders etc.

I am assuming you are talking about slapping the Marauder IIC (Re-Seen) arms on the body with the 2x SRM6 packs?
Colonel Mason Grimm

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 05 March 2011, 11:34:37 »
Possibly, or maybe the 5L arms if you don't use the medium lasers on them.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 07 March 2011, 14:01:00 »
Ok, I've added some of this stuff to my cart at IWM.

Last thing I need before placing my order is figuring out my actual ingame mech of the MAD-1X

It uses the 5R chassis and gun pods but I still need to kitbash

2x ER PPCs (in the arms already)
4x Medium Lasers - 2 are already in the weapon pods on the arms so I need to find 2 that I can mount as externals on the CT similar to what the Timber Wolf has maybe? Suggestions?
1x LBX-10 - Mounts over the left or right Torso (doesn't matter which). What would you guys recommend as a cool looking LBX-10 style weapon from IWM?
« Last Edit: 07 March 2011, 14:02:35 by OverKill »
Colonel Mason Grimm

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 07 March 2011, 17:08:37 »
If you're buying the 5R/9S kit, it already has an LBX 10 in the package. As for the medium lasers, how do you plan on attaching them? I was thinking maybe a Raven's right arm mounted under the cockpit. The Warhammer gun sprue might also help. Finding a sprue in the scrapyard that has two medium lasers is difficult to find, to my knowledge.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #24 on: 07 March 2011, 17:11:56 »
Do those lasers need to be a projection? If not, take a pin vise and drill two laser holes out.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 07 March 2011, 17:33:45 »
I'd prefer they be a projection

As for how I'm going to mount them: pin vice and drill out two mounts under the chin or around that area.

The madcat resculpt comes with a medium laser that mounts on the side of the CT. Something like that would be ideal. Getting IWM to send me two of those pieces may be difficult but I'll ask cause they are willing to do the SRM6s from the Whammy IIC.

The AC that is shown on the mech displayed on IWM website looks kinda weak and without detail which is why I was looking around at options.
Colonel Mason Grimm

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #26 on: 07 March 2011, 17:55:58 »
That mini not only comes with the LB but also has a separate RAC5 if you wanted a multibarreled AC.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 07 March 2011, 18:07:40 »
That mini not only comes with the LB but also has a separate RAC5 if you wanted a multibarreled AC.

That's more what I am talking about... something with a little more detail but ok so all I need to worry about then is two medium lasers that I can mount onto the mech. I'm gonna write 'em and see if they can give me two of them. If I remember the ML came on a mold with a ... I can't remember... but one ML mounts on the left or right side of the cockpit on the mini. Something like that would be ideal. I imagine they will cost 1.50 each.

Thoughts?
Colonel Mason Grimm

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 07 March 2011, 18:14:07 »
Well, autocannons are kinda boring. I guess if you want something fancier, browse around for any weapon with a tube and see if you can use it. Maybe something off the Mackie? I know that IWM sells the Hatamoto Chi's PPCs in the Scrapyard. I'm sure you could stick that on and paint it as an autocannon.

I'm still at a loss for the medium lasers. Maybe you could use the lasers off of the Locust? There are many options to choose from. The Mad Cat, however, doesn't come with two medium lasers. It's a medium pulse laser and something else.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 07 March 2011, 18:41:04 »
Ok well the MPL doesn't have to be an MPL on my Marauder LOL it can be a solid ML  8)

I just need to see if I can get TWO of them.
Colonel Mason Grimm

Register