Author Topic: Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem  (Read 9572 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Re: Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: 03 March 2023, 15:03:47 »
For your Battle Armor.  If you have the patience, a little sculpy clay applied with a butter knife can remove the little platform look.  Then a layer of Cragle and a layer of elmers will seal it well enough. 

I personally have inherited my moms dremel and have some grinding heads that I plan on trying to remove the platform and get it closer to the base for those that are going on 'metal' basing.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 03 March 2023, 16:38:30 »
For your Battle Armor.  If you have the patience, a little sculpy clay applied with a butter knife can remove the little platform look.  Then a layer of Cragle and a layer of elmers will seal it well enough. 

I personally have inherited my moms dremel and have some grinding heads that I plan on trying to remove the platform and get it closer to the base for those that are going on 'metal' basing.

I don't think I could work a dremel with that much precision any more than I could use cutters.  Thanks for the ideas, though!

And after weeks of slowly painting many different layers across 5 different unit packs, two more lances have been completed.

Inner Sphere Fire Lance:

Trebuchet, Stalker, Longbow, Zeus

Inner Sphere Heavy Battle Lance:

Bushwaker, Nightstar, Cataphract, and Axman.

Now maybe a little rest...

Wait, what do you mean the Merc Kits out?  And I have 2 more Clan Stars to get along with 2 Level IIs?  AAAAAAH!!   :D
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 06 April 2023, 17:01:48 »
So, with tax return in hand, it was time to invest in Aerospace assets, as they seem to be a growing local presence.

For Inner Sphere, I chose Corsairs, because FedSuns and Corsairs are cool.

For a Clan counter, I acquired the similarly weighted Turks.

And last unit painted is the result of a tragedy.  A local man passed away and his son did not play, nor want to play.  The son sold off his collection and I was given this old plastic Ironfoot Thunderbolt by the purchaser.

He seems to think I like Thunderbolts or something.
« Last Edit: 06 April 2023, 20:56:22 by Charistoph »
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 07 April 2023, 04:48:46 »
Very nice! :thumbsup:

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 07 April 2023, 11:11:48 »

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 14 September 2023, 18:26:21 »
So the most odd coordination of Clan contraptions to contest combat conclusions.

Clan Ad Hoc Star

Fire Falcon, Pack Hunter, Kodiak, Hellion, Baboon.

It would be interesting to see how such a Star would operate on the field.  It might work better with our local normal objectives than the normal kill team construction, as we normally have a deployment zone objective borrowed from the old BattleClix tournament scene, but it might not.  There are some Kodiak fans locally (understandably, as it is a great Mech).

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 20 September 2023, 17:09:02 »
Some additions from the ComStar organizations, done up in the colors of my Celestials, but not exactly in the same locations.

Battle Level II

Mongoose, Lancelot, Crockett, Flashman, Guilltine, and Crab

Command Level II

Mercury, Black Knight, King Crab, Highlander, Exterminator, and Sentinel

This was probably the most difficult scheme I've done.  It took the longest, and I had to back over so many mistakes.  The Black Knight was the first done, mostly because I wanted it to look like a knight, and then template it out to the rest of the Level IIs.  No, I don't plan on going back over my Celestials with this style.

Still, there are some fun things that came from it.  The Highlander NEEDED a claymore, of which I had one in left over bits from a Warmachine Nomad model that was built as a Rover.

It was a bit interesting in converting it from a Right Hander to a Left Hander.  I basically had to cut the sword and pommel off the right hand it is molded with, and then pin both sides through the Highlander's arm.

Such a pain to store with it swinging out so far.  Still, a crowd pleaser when it shows (so long as they aren't facing it).

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 21 September 2023, 07:05:13 »
I really like the Nomad’s sword on the Highlander!  It’s very fitting for the mini. Storing/transporting it is a pain! I had to create custom cases for my Warmahordes minis because of how large they are and how many of the swords/spears/tails/etc. stick out from the bases.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 21 September 2023, 12:25:40 »
For a moment, I thought that sword was a stylized Mech-sized Guitar. 

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 21 September 2023, 15:22:15 »
I really like the Nomad’s sword on the Highlander!  It’s very fitting for the mini.

I thought so.  I've been wondering what Mech to put it on ever since I did the Banshee with a Rover's Axe.  The Highlander with a Claymore just makes too much sense.  I'm really glad with how well it turned out.

For a moment, I thought that sword was a stylized Mech-sized Guitar. 

Well, it's big enough to be used as an Axe...

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 04 October 2023, 15:07:17 »
I finally finished the Proliferation Force Pack.  All these ancient relics are now ready for proper gameplay.  Also in the mix is a Neanderthal which is the last purchase I was able to make from the FLGS before it closed.

First is the Firebee, Mackie, Battleaxe, and Gladiator.

And the Icarus, Ymir, Neanderthal, and Coyotl.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #41 on: 04 October 2023, 18:16:50 »
You managed to make a Mackie look GOOD! :D

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 04 October 2023, 18:46:54 »
You managed to make a Mackie look GOOD! :D

Thanks!

That bulbous cockpit really helps it pop out like the Battlemaster.  It really has that classic '50s robot style, too.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #43 on: 05 October 2023, 10:01:41 »
I especially love the Battleaxe. It's been one of my favorites since Brent let me take a stab at the illustration for Primitives Vol. II. I'll echo; the Mackie is just a cool beefy retro design that drips of BattleTech nostalgia.   

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 05 October 2023, 13:25:11 »
Yeah.  The sculpt for the Mackie already is a vast improvement over the older model. Might have something to do with the legs and the placement of the lasers...  :tongue:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 05 October 2023, 17:28:09 »
It's an improvement over some of the original ART for the thing! :D

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 19 December 2023, 17:01:36 »
Back again with some more painted reinforcements.  This time of a combined arms variety.

First, the Gray Death Heavy Battle Lance.  Mostly done in Brown Pants Legion, despite being half Clan, because they are a Inner Sphere unit.  I used my "2nd unit" marking as the tertiary color and for some reason it reminds me of a football team...  Shadow Hawk done in Fetid Claws colors, because its an extra and why not.  Plume left off for storage and transport reasons.

Shadow Hawk, Regent, Gargoyle C, Catapult K2

Next up is a pair of APCs that have me thinking of an old meme song for some reason.  Turret and weapon selections are meant to represent the Prime version of both Inner Sphere and Clan variants.  The chaotic colors are also set up to recognize the source of these transports.

Bandit, Bandit, Badger, Badger (mushroom!)

Last painted up are some reinforcements of a more crazed kind, Battle Armor.  A combination of Elementals and Gray Death Standard suits, bringing my BA collection up to 12.

And because I like to provide some sizing of the units in relation to one another, a Perspective shot of selections from the group.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 08 February 2024, 17:44:46 »
Completed some more painting from collecting over the last months or so.

First, the Clan Striker Lance, the last of the Clan Invasion Era ForcePacks that aren't force-aligned that I got.

Vixen, Horned Owl, Vapor Eagle, Conjurer, Piranha

And because I'm starting a campaign, I need some Conventional Infantry.  All mounted on 3/4" steel discs for ease of placement.

Front 2 rows are Foot Infantry.  Next row back are Track Bikes for Motorized Infantry.  Last 2 rows are Mechanized Infantry with the small APCs and a Foot Infantry.  Orange base are Tracked, Green base is Wheeled, and Blue base are Hover.

And a Perspective Shot with representatives of all the Infantry.

Then there were a few Mechs I purchased for 2 campaigns.

Ostroc for Coromodir Corsairs biweekly campaign, Thresher, Corvis for Clan campaign for Mooks.

Then a few more salvaged after that.

Wyvern IIC, Linebacker, and Cougar

Whew, that's a lot over the last month.  Now, when will I get the 46 models coming in from the Kickstarter?  And when will I be able to get any done?
« Last Edit: 10 February 2024, 22:38:34 by Charistoph »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 08 February 2024, 18:11:19 »
Love that infantry! :)

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 09 February 2024, 11:48:49 »
Love that infantry! :)

Thanks!

They were a bit of a pain in the butt to paint, being so tiny.  I think I went a little overboard with the grass on the Foot Infantry.  I probably should have used tweezers instead of my thick fingers.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 01 March 2024, 11:30:03 »
A local friend was giving away Forcepacks he had received doubles of and gave them to me.  I have now finished painting them up.

First the UrbanMech Forcepack.  I'm not a fan of UrbanMechs.  I would never buy this of myself.  The only reason I accepted them is because I'm running a monthly campaign, and they make for good cheap mooks for the players to demolish.  I painted them up as a combination of regular schemes I paint so they can be quickly identified as mine as well as so I know which one they are shooting.

AC/10 in Coromodir Corsair, AC/20 in Brown Pants Legion, MRM in Fetid Claws, SRM in Clan Denim Pants.

I also received Snord's Irregulars.  Let's face it, the only right way to paint Snord's Rifleman is to paint it wrongly.  So I combined pretty much every scheme I use, separating each part in to a different scheme.  Used the Phoenix Hawk head because it offered more opportunities for paint and just looks better, imo.  The Highlander is a goofy one, so I included it in the paint scheme, too.  The Spartan I just felt "needed" to be in the same color scheme.  I could have painted them up more differently so each section was even more different, but even doing this much was straining my painting time and focus.  I felt the Guillotine needed to be Brown Pants Legion, so went there with that one.  I kind of actually adds to the chaos by having a "normal" scheme with them.

CT, RT, waist, and Left Leg are in Brown Pants Legion.  Right Leg is in Coromodir Corsairs.  LT and Left Arm are in Fetid Claws.  Right Arm is in Clan Purple Pants.  Head is in Clan Denim Pants.

Jumping Guillotine model,  Spartan, Highlander (Heavy Gauss), and Snord's Rifleman.

I did finish one other model in that time, but I want to post him with a group.  With a Zeus X and Raptor on the way, I'll wait till they are done to post.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2024, 18:08:19 by Charistoph »

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 03 March 2024, 08:12:25 »
Nice! :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 16 April 2024, 17:08:49 »
Finally finished finagling my paint projects per past period.

First is a culmination of Coromodir Corsair 'cquisitions, and Clan Campaign contentioneers.

Strikers on the flanks, Goliath 2H model without Rockets, Zeus-X with AC replaced with another LRM hand, Thunderbolt IIC, and Raptor

Erring on eradication is the Eridani Light Horse Hunter Lance.

Jumping Thunderbolt, Banshee, Sagittaire, and Cyclops

Having Hansen's Roughrider's Battle Lance up next.

Enforcer, Atlas, Penetrator, Jumping Hatchetman

Now Northwind Highlander's Command Lance commandeers the stage.

Grasshopper, Jumping Highlander, Gunslinger, and Warhammer.

Kell Hounds Striker Lance Strikes it's own pose for the field.

Nightsky, Jumping Crusader, Griffin, and Wolfhound.

Colors are mixed up per lance due to there being so many secondary acquisitions with the Merc Lance Forcepacks.  The Brown Pants Legion units are those who are my first purchase (such as Sagittaire or Nightsky), or had been painted up in other colors already (Cyclops and Highlander).  The ones done up in Coromodier Corsair colors (yellow center with black sides and white limbs) are units I have pilots running in our local bi-weekly campaign.  Those who are in neither camp are done up in my own "Fetid Claws" scheme which I like to consider my ersatz Wobbie scheme.

Register