Author Topic: David Alsace: the verdict?  (Read 2817 times)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
David Alsace: the verdict?
« on: 26 February 2012, 16:29:44 »
It is stated that he is the only high-level Blakist to be tried for war crimes.  What was the verdict?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: David Alsace: the verdict?
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2012, 17:00:08 »
Hello,

David Alsace was found guilty of crimes against humanity during actions taken place during ComStar's failed CASE WHITE operation, and was executed.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2012, 16:29:07 »
I thought that all he did was authorize the Word to use nukes.  I guess somebody had to fry and he was the only one in shooting distance.
Thanks for the reply, Herb. O0

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2012, 17:25:02 »
Hello,

Exactly. Alsace authorized the use of thermonuclear weapons to combat the ComStar landings which took place on Terra during CASE WHITE. It is less clear whether he had any say in the later nuclear events that occurred, such as the glassing of St. Louis. Out-of-character, he had nothing to do with the Meggido attacks during the final recapture of Terra, but by then, he already had the blood of millions on his hands--many of them Terran.

Although this invokes Godwin's Law, consider: According to various sources, little evidence exists to suggest that Adolf Hitler ever personally pumped gas into the chambers during the Holocaust, and some textbooks suggest his role in the genocides was more one of inaction against the runaway hatred he fostered than actually calling for such exterminations (the premise being he merely wanted to seize the wealth of these victims to power his war machine and rebuild post-WWI Germany; extermination was not the initial plan). But to call him blameless in the Holocaust would be completely and patently wrong, as it took place on his authorization. Likewise, many of those who "just followed his orders" could not escape the same justice.

The Geneva Trials that followed the fall of the Word, in many ways, directly mirror the Nuremberg Trails that followed the fall of Nazi Germany, and it's not altogether unintentional. After spending over a decade breeding terror, fear, and hatred across the Inner Sphere, the Word's senior leadership faced a comeuppance of their own making, and few were likely to get off the hook. The highest-ranking captured WoB stooge? Oh, HE hangs!

Hopefully, that clarifies.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2012, 17:02:11 »
It clarifies.  Thanks. O0

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2012, 18:24:07 »
Hello,

Of course, the last bit of irony here is that Alsace himself considered the Geneva Trials to be a good idea, to help begin Terra's healing process. Naturally, that attitude likely came before the sentence was handed down....

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 29 February 2012, 16:25:55 »
I imagine a bit of grumpiness...

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 29 February 2012, 20:51:54 »
Hello,

Well, yes, but one tends to get that way when Com Guards murder one's family, including a pregnant wife.

Add that kind of grief, access to a nuclear stockpile, and a universe where it's considered acceptable policy to send troops into battle for matters of pride, and you really have something there.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2012, 16:40:47 »
Right.  I remember that part and to a certain extent understand his reaction.  I like to think I wouldn't authorize nukes, but I've never had a pregnant wife killed.
I thought he would be grumpy after learning the verdict.

Register