Author Topic: You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what?  (Read 180747 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
I see your confusion - the short answer - TRO: Succession Wars has designs introduced between the 2400s and the 3030s. 3025 fits in that range. the more advanced tech used by the Star League and its client states in the 2600-2800s gives you an opportunity to sample some of the equipment beyond the starter box without completely turning on the fire hose.

Circa 2009, the placement for the introtech era was moved slightly from 3025 to 3039 and created some better synergy with the franchise at the time -it was closer to more recent publications (like Historical: War of 3039 and Starterbook: Sword and Dragon) and sat right in the midst of the Helm Core technological revival (that really picks up post-3040) so starting a campaign with introtech could quickly transition to something more advanced in short order, if desired.  The new box returns the setting closer to its original 1985 start date - the short fiction in the boxes actually represents something of a rarity. The period between the end of the second succession war in 2864 and the end of the third in 3025 is very sparsely populated with much of anything.

« Last Edit: 19 February 2019, 13:47:42 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
There haven’t been any products labeled 3025 in decades. TR3039 replaced Tr3025 (and 3026). 

That clears it up, thanks!

maxvon_d

• Recruit
Thanks so much, @Sartris, for compiling this intro to the world of Battletech products. This returning player (I lightly dabbled in the late 80's) found it most useful, and I've enjoyed the subsequent discussion in the thread. Couple of notes and a question:

1. Agree with the sentiment of many regarding the miniatures. I've been playing and painting the likes of Corvus Belli's Infinity so the bar is set pretty high for me regarding sculpts. I won't lie, I've been itching to get back into Battletech but have been repulsed by the derpy looking mechs any time I got close. That is, until now. Thanks, Catalyst, for bringing out a starter set with the sort of mechs I've wanted to see stomping around the battlefield. Please, please continue with this design direction - yourself or with partners. :)

2. I'm UK-based and have struggled to source additional materiel for the game. I'd love to pick up the hardback Battletech Manual and Total Warfare to round out the ruleset I have in the GoAC box but can't find them for love nor money. I know there is/was talk of reprints but I can't tell if that actually happened and they subsequently sold out again or I just need to be patient. I've got a lot of enthusiasm for the game and I'm sure that's shared by many new and returning players, so I hope Catalyst can realise that opportunity.

And my question: having picked up the GoAC box and the Succession War record sheets PDF, I'd really like to play some narrative missions or mini campaign. What one product would you recommend? One of the Turning Points pdfs, perhaps?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
#1-  You might want to look at what is called the Primitives for some of the other 3025 mechs that have not been released with new minis.  I absolutely love the Thunderbolt 1C even if I feel its a bit too big- its all I use for TBolts on the board and its a mini that sits out on a shelf b/c I am happy with how it looks.  I need to check if I have the primitive Orion, I know a lot of people were loving that and it looked close to the 'later' versions.  If you are find advancing past 3025, then look at the 3145 mechs.  A lot of them were done by current line artists though I have to caution you that many had to be carried over from MWDA so there may be some goofy looks they were stuck with- like smokestacks.

#2-  Reprints are coming, personally I am buying more rule books as PDFs since I can carry them on my Kindle and mark them.

For linked campaign material . . . sort of depends on what era and factions you favor.  To relive some of the early key stories you might want to look at TP Misery- good old Dracs vs Dragoons.  The Era Reports also have mini-campaigns at the back of the books- for instance I think ER3052 has one for each of the Invading Clans.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
You have a few avenues to do narrative campaigns -

I think Turning Points: Galtor is a good place to start, not least because there is a legacy sourcebook available in PDF to give you a deeper background  (for some reason, most of the turning points scenarios are missing from the Cataylst store but you can get them on drivethrurpg.com).

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?keywords=galtor&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

both are on sale right now at drivethru for $3 each (about £4.50 total)

#1-  You might want to look at what is called the Primitives

yeah, the primitives look nice. The wasp, longbow, and thunderbolt are great. i'm also a fan of the Rifleman and Orion. The upcoming Emperor is going to be awesome.

For linked campaign material . . . sort of depends on what era and factions you favor.  To relive some of the early key stories you might want to look at TP Misery- good old Dracs vs Dragoons.  The Era Reports also have mini-campaigns at the back of the books- for instance I think ER3052 has one for each of the Invading Clans.

ER2750 and ER3052 both have full campaigns in the back, each with unique mission types for the era that can be modified to work for any force.

You may also want to check out Sword and Dragon - it's a full campaign set in 3049 for two players opposing each other. I'm not a fan of the prototype equipment within (since it piles on rules that both hamstring the weapons and force you to remember them). With that, I'd recommend using the normal weapons as found in TW or BMM or omit them entirely.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
2. I'm UK-based and have struggled to source additional materiel for the game. I'd love to pick up the hardback Battletech Manual and Total Warfare to round out the ruleset  I have in the GoAC box but can't find them for love nor money.
I made search for Battletech Manual and I got BattleMech Manual. If that is what you mean, be advised it and Total Warfare are redundant. Difference between the two is Total Warfare is much thicker (nearly 400 pages) and covers rules for great variety of units while BM Manual covers only 'Mechs and little else. BattleMech Manual also has some rules from Tactical Operations (over 400 pages). BattleMech Manual is available on print from CGL Store. Total Warfare is available at least from Amazon sites (TacOps isn't).

And my question: having picked up the GoAC box and the Succession War record sheets PDF, I'd really like to play some narrative missions or mini campaign. What one product would you recommend? One of the Turning Points pdfs, perhaps?
Starterbook: Sword and Dragon. It goes well with the rules in A Game of Armored Combat and your chosen TRO. Is also a requirement to play some of the Historical Turning Points. Think of HTP series as DLC for thicker books (Starterbook, Starter, and Era Report series)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

maxvon_d

• Recruit
I made search for Battletech Manual and I got BattleMech Manual. If that is what you mean, be advised it and Total Warfare are redundant. Difference between the two is Total Warfare is much thicker (nearly 400 pages) and covers rules for great variety of units while BM Manual covers only 'Mechs and little else. BattleMech Manual also has some rules from Tactical Operations (over 400 pages). BattleMech Manual is available on print from CGL Store. Total Warfare is available at least from Amazon sites (TacOps isn't).

Sorry, yes, I meant the BattleMech manual. So, if I get Total Warfare there is little need to get the BMM? Wish the latest printing of Total Warfare was available here in the UK.

Thanks for the help, folks. I'll take a look at Galtor and Sword and Dragon.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
BMM has some of the more commonly used optional rules and equipment also found in Tactical Operations, which is the advanced rulebook. With TW and TO, you don’t need BMM.

BattleTech vs BattleMech manual is an easy slip to make - the original comprehensive rulebook was the BattleTech Manual back in 1987 and BMM is a play off that title

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
Speaking of the BattleMech Manual… what is it supposed to look like?

Catalyst’s webstore shows it with the new Marauder cover.  I bought the PDF, downloaded it, and it had an older cover, with a Timberwolf. 

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
marauder cover is the new one. odd that you're getting the old version as my link in my file library yields the new version

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
I wonder if you are able to DL both.  When I got TechManual from DriveThru it offered different versions to DL, I originally was not paying attention and DL'd one with a older cover.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ussenterprise

• Recruit
Until you mentioned it, I had absolutely no clue that my Assault Lance Pack is now worth $100+   ;D

Good thing I picked up all 8 lance packs back in the day.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
I've seen them go for between $50-100 recently - but sealed. haven't seen an opened one of late. most of the others run $15-30 NIB but you have to wait around for them to show up. Recon and Striker seem to be the only two that are constantly available.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2019, 23:35:58 by Sartris »

Chromatism

• Recruit
Just a quick note! For those of us in the UK/Europe who might have missed it, www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk also do the line of pewter sculpts. Really excellent write up. I'll surely be using it to find my feet in the universe. Thanks!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Got my Map Pack at my FLGS the other day, great maps!
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

arcticfox

• Recruit
This is just straight-up awesome.  As someone who's just getting back into the game after a very long hiatus, this is a great resource for understanding all the various different prints and covers and how they interrelate.  Thanks so much for doing this!

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
Well done Sartris!!! What you've complied on the first page is an excellent reference source, thanks for taking the time to do it!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Definitely a good idea to reconsider the House Arano book as the next set after the Boxes- 4 or 5 scenarios using what is in a box and some of the new maps.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
i agree. going to have to get my hands on it before i figure out how

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
To be honest, it looks like the 'next' thing but I need either a GoAC box or at least figure out what maps.

They only use the 9 mechs from the new box and the latest maps, I just think some are map pack.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
Interesting.

So

1) boxes
2) maps
3) house Arano
4) RS: SW
4a) tro: sw
5) free chaos campaign

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
i hold my breath every time i click save. the post size limit haunts me daily.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
 ???

Wrong thread, maybe?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
???

Wrong thread, maybe?
Added to first post. It's getting quite lengthy.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Ah, that makes sense... too bad he didn't reserve the first two posts...

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Yeoman's work as always.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
Ah, that makes sense... too bad he didn't reserve the first two posts...

i went as far as looking at my other posts made around the same time to see if there was one i could get moved to this thread that was made before the first reply. alas, i was about six hours too late.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
If all else fails, you can always make a new thread...  ^-^

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
it may come to that. though the current restrictions have forced some creative editing, which is better in the end. it would be a 40,000 word textbook by now without a post size limit.

General308

• Captain
I want  Pharraoh Beer.