Author Topic: Eminence in Anime - The M@ster Anime Thread Beyond Viewing's End  (Read 11908 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: Eminence in Anime - The M@ster Anime Thread Beyond Viewing's End
« Reply #150 on: 29 February 2024, 21:05:22 »
Seems that Spy X Family Code White is getting a US theatrical release on April 19th.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #151 on: 29 February 2024, 23:44:47 »
closest showing and ill be by me is in NYC and ill be skewerd and quartered before i even will go to city these days...may get in touch with anime club at nyu to see if they have a copy to screen...it was the sister club to one at rutgers and i was a memeber
if they do they may get toghether with another club in jersey city
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #152 on: 01 March 2024, 00:38:40 »
I have no idea if it's even going to be coming to any theaters in my state.

Well, it'll probably be in Portland, but much as I like Portland I'm not going there just to see a movie.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #153 on: 07 March 2024, 14:22:42 »
Hear me out on this guys, I started watching Pokemon Horizons on Netflix.  IMO, it's really good so far.  It doesn't star Ash as the main character but instead, a girl named Liko.  Some fans won't miss Ash's story arc, but most do.  Give ash credit, he did stepped up his game; even though I don't follow his Story arc as I used to during 1999-2004.  At least he won the Alola League and became monarch of the World Coronation Series and hell manage to defeat Cynthia who has perhaps, over 9000 wins and now 1 loss after her defeat against Ash.

I do watch non-pokemon related anime, heck before the Ani-poke, as a kid, I saw the anime G-force which was a 90s re-run version of Gatchaman, and it was my first exposure to anime, and then the Speed Racer series.  This might upset you guys and the Macross-boomers, I do like Robotech.  Hear me out, I do think HG were legal trolls (or we don't talk about HG nor their legalese) but for me, I watched it on DVD when I got the first 2 volumes of the original syndicated versions.  I need to get around watching Gundam Wing starting with the first 6 episodes, since I only saw it on Vol's 2 and 3 on DVD since I couldn't find the first 1 volume DVD at my local Gamestop during 2005.  I know they're available to watch on Crunchy Roll

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #154 on: 07 March 2024, 22:39:56 »
Sad news from Japan.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon-ball-creator-akira-toriyama-dead-68/

Pretty much as the URL says.  Pour one out for one of the most influential mangaka in history.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #155 on: 08 March 2024, 00:54:18 »
Bingeing MS Gundam Iron Bloodied Orphans Season 2. Damn good. Picking up a lot of good ideas since Im writing my own mecha anime series. Better than the previous Gundam shows Ive seen so far.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #156 on: 08 March 2024, 08:29:50 »
I love how the BBC didn't have a single person on staff who could correct that awful synopsis of Dragon Ball. :sad: That's got to be the the only place on Earth that anime remains alien enough that no one can tell them what the Dragon Balls are for.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #157 on: 08 March 2024, 10:21:14 »
RIP Toriyama. You were a founder of a lot of what we read/watch today.

Enjoy your HETAP while waiting in line at Enma's.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #158 on: 08 March 2024, 10:23:10 »
I love how the BBC didn't have a single person on staff who could correct that awful synopsis of Dragon Ball. :sad: That's got to be the the only place on Earth that anime remains alien enough that no one can tell them what the Dragon Balls are for.

Sadly, that's been something of an issue with the BBC giving coverage that's an absolutely wrong take on an issue because they don't bother finding someone who actually knows about the subject first.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #159 on: 08 March 2024, 10:52:02 »

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #160 on: 16 March 2024, 11:15:08 »
redo of healer
reminds me a lot of count of monte cristo idea wise
too much on fan service at times but other wise solid story not for kids tho
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #162 on: 18 March 2024, 10:49:11 »
Oh gross. Sounds like we won't be seeing those BDs for a very long time, if at all.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #163 on: 18 March 2024, 12:07:09 »
Sony is maybe trying to use this as a gauge to see if this sparks additional interest in the vaporware live action perhaps.   I still say the Veritech designs will have to be altered quite a bit to not infringe on the original F14 aesthetic perhaps.  Or maybe they go the Michael Bay route and secure the rights.  Sony really isn't doing its comic and cartoon fans much justice lately though. 

https://www.animeindependent.net/News/Disney_Plus_to_exclusively_distribute_Macross_worldwide

Interesting. I sense the hand of Sony at work

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #165 on: 18 March 2024, 12:41:54 »
Because:
Sony recently got the companies involved in the whole macross-robitech rights mess (big west, tatsunoko, and harmony gold) to sit down and iron out an agreement that will allow macross to go international (in part, because Somy optioned robotech & SDFmacross for a live action film), and sony has close ties to disney right now due to all the marvel character deals for the MCU.

Since the companies involved on the macross side of things have no ties to disney at all, the fact that they got their stuff onto disney suggests someone facilitated it. And Sony with its existing ties to both groups is the most probable.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2024, 13:00:48 by glitterboy2098 »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #166 on: 18 March 2024, 12:54:38 »
Crunchyroll may be owned by Sony, but D+ offers a much bigger market and can be placed alongside Ghibli, who also has a presence on D+.  Much better marketing and visual appeal.  Especially with the recent closure of Funimation, who is currently having its own rights issues as well for digital releases.

D+ isn't going to shut down anytime soon.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #167 on: 18 March 2024, 14:41:18 »
I think you guys are thinking too highly of Sony, and this is coming from a card-carrying Sony fanboy.

Funimation is closing because they also were bought by Sony, & Sony doesn't want to carry the overhead of two localizers. There's no reason for Funimations licenses to go dormant other than Sony just not wanting to bother to get those works up on Crunchyroll.

There are also significant rumors that Big West, the owner of Macross, wants nothing to do with Crunchyroll. They easily could have been already streaming on the platform, but instead they announced a dead-end Blu-Ray deal with Nozomi. Now, months after Nozomi got bought out by Sony, they're putting it on another streaming service? How does that help Sony's bottom line? Unless they got Disney to pay them for it, it doesn't.

My suspicion is Big West has ruled out any Crunchyroll releases & told Sony they'd need to either fork over their rights or lose the Macross film option. The problem is I don't see Disney+ as any more reliable a steward of Macross than Crunchyroll. This franchise is cursed.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #168 on: 18 March 2024, 14:54:59 »
the curse has a name i dare you to say it!
hoardmegold...say it 3 times and lawyer appears that chants sue them sue them sue them
when i spoke with carl macek 1996 he hated what hoardmegold did with macross

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #169 on: 18 March 2024, 15:16:06 »
guys, can we avoid this sort of unproductive and negative discussion?

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #170 on: 19 March 2024, 08:40:21 »
Let's just be happy that we finally get a chance to watch Macross shows legally. Who cares if it's with Disney?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #171 on: 19 March 2024, 09:18:49 »
Wasn't Macross on Amazon Prime a few years ago?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #172 on: 19 March 2024, 09:29:05 »
Let's just be happy that we finally get a chance to watch Macross shows legally. Who cares if it's with Disney?

I don't stream. I buy BDs. Thus, my disappointment. Stuff that streams doesn't stay available.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #173 on: 19 March 2024, 09:36:52 »
guys, can we avoid this sort of unproductive and negative discussion?

Nothing personal, & I hope you get to enjoy Macross streaming, but it'd be productive if folks think twice about handing over their money to big media corporations for scraps and instead demand they release products that respect customers. "Here's the product you wanted! it's only a decade late, riddled with ads & poorly localized! Now hurry! If you don't watch it in six months we'll pull it and claim you never cared for it in the first place!" We get releases like this because we pay for them, & I'm begging people not to.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2024, 09:52:58 by MadCapellan »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #174 on: 19 March 2024, 10:20:45 »
I'm pretty sure that ship sailed long ago.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #175 on: 19 March 2024, 12:43:11 »
My fear is that once they kiss the Mouse's shilling, the Mouse is inevitably going to be calling the shots, and they're going to want to monetize the living daylights out of the franchise as much as they can. Hopefully it is only and solely streaming rights to the shows and not anything more. Look what they did with Star Wars --  I didn't think there could be such a thing as too much Star Wars, but with more movies and TV shows being made in just the past decade than the entirety of the preceding forty years, I think Disney has hit that point.

In my own opinion (and this is quite likely a minority position) I already think that Zero, Frontier and Delta are surplus to requirements (though this tease that they potentially found Hikaru, Misa and Minmay in the last episode of Delta is intriguing) and I'm a little lukewarm on Seven just for their undermining the way that Minmay's song actually worked in the original series and DYRL (where it was just the Zentradi being reawakened to their humanity through exposure to art and culture rather than it being some mystical energy like the Force), so I'm not enthusiastic about any potential Disney-led installments.

It's the same fear that I have for Doctor Who -- that with Disney pumping in money to the show that we're going to get spinoff bloat along with the gorgeous new production values.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2024, 12:51:04 by Pat Payne »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #176 on: 19 March 2024, 12:55:00 »
I'm pretty sure that ship sailed long ago.

The funny thing about commerce is that it is ongoing. Anytime the customer decides they want something else, they can shift the market. They just have to have the self-respect & patience to do so.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #177 on: 24 March 2024, 08:16:44 »
My only issues with the current state of Anime Streamers are the horrible translations and censorship; especially on Crunchyroll since there's no option to watch the uncut content even though I pay for premium service.

Anyways, The Spring 2024 Lineup is looking pretty great: Date A Live Season 5, Konosuba S3, Duke of Death and his Maid S3, ect......

They even have announced Gun Gale Online S2- though no clue when that comes out
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #178 on: 24 March 2024, 10:15:54 »
The funny thing about commerce is that it is ongoing. Anytime the customer decides they want something else, they can shift the market. They just have to have the self-respect & patience to do so.

As I pointed out last time this subject came up, when it's possible to subscribe to a year's worth of streaming vs buying two blu-ray packs of 12 episodes each that you're probably only going to watch once, most customers are going to choose the streaming.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #179 on: 24 March 2024, 17:16:51 »
My only issues with the current state of Anime Streamers are the horrible translations and censorship; especially on Crunchyroll since there's no option to watch the uncut content even though I pay for premium service.
for its faults, Crunchyroll doesnt censor anything. If anthing's blurred or steamed out, thats on the broadcast version that Japan also gets. If you're discussing the 'see everything' versions, that's purposely done by the studio to increase disc sales. Thats not anything Crunchyroll (or any other service) is doing just for giggles.