Author Topic: The Lone Wolves (Group 117) (or Lucky Idiots?)  (Read 1480 times)

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
The Lone Wolves (Group 117) (or Lucky Idiots?)
« on: 13 January 2023, 00:25:11 »
Please Excuse my poor grammar, writing style or sheer... derpy. I have not composed a proper story in close to two decades (when i wrote about halflings with pink hair with honking familiars...) based on toons i hired on my current MMHQ session...

Pilot: Lt (SG, Aero) Yoon-Mi Inuoe
Callsign: Moon
Homeworld: Asta
Recruited: 20Apr3068
Martial Status: Married to Harvey Inuoe (Previously [Redacted])
Combat Status: Active [Regular]

Hired by the Lone Wolves (Group 117) during their trek across the former Sarna March in the Spring of 3068. Lt Inoue is considered a ronin aerospacer  and mercenary (and does not discuss why she is not currently in the DCMS instead).

Current Assignment: Corsair V14 #1 (Previous Assignment: Seydlitz Z2A #1)

Note: There is no proof that Moon consummated her engagement on the top of her fighter...

Note2: [Academy] Basic 1.0+ Inf 1.0+ Aero 1.0+ Officer 1.0

Total Chaos Pg 38 (SIM)

15Feb70 1745 Local: Called off early because of an Alert at the Jump Point...

15Feb70 2113 Local: False alarm. Just a civilian Jumper with sh*t coms and IFF. Now i know why Moon keeps that square... weird thing in her kit when she flies CAP (It's called an 'Etchasketch, Boss!'). Whatever, It's still Lostech...

Ok, here's a weird one. *smiles* I was out with Mayhem (Yeah, that one. Yes, the guy who somehow survived two crashes in Lucifers) on Combat Air Patrol at Seginus's Nadir Jump point, day three of charging. Scheduled for 4 & half hours before Naga and the new guy (Lt Geng, Moon!) relieved us. *glares at Mayhem* ANYway, we were at hour Three when Rusty (Quartermaster on the Eggstain [Union-X Dropship on the Scout Jumper, the other 3 Unions on the Intruder 'Dude!']) got on coms to have us hold position. Which wasn't as difficult as it seems in space.

Anyway, the reason Rusty even bothered us became apparent 3 minutes later when the usual method of POOF Light show and a Ship appears to our right, slightly above and about 15 Light-seconds away from us. A merchant-class. Mayhem pulls his jet to my port wing (about 20 meters distance from wing tips) and we watch. The jumper only has 2 vessels docked, both Aurora's, type unknowns.

So this passive observation continues for 10-12 minutes when Rusty tells us to approach the jumpship. It seems that Seginus Control isn't getting either coms or IFF. Since we are the closest units, with the rest of the Corsairs about 10 minutes from launch (Someone is gonna get a ear full about the concept of Alert-15s later), Mayhem and myself, hit the jets and coasted a leisurely 200kph towards the uncommunicative vessel.

The trek took another 8 minutes for us to reach the merchant. As we approached in standard non-aggressive posture (AoA about 30 degrees low to the jumper, to show we are not ill intent, which is one thing you can do when trying to establish communications with anyone lacking a working radio), we noted two things. First, the Auroras were firmly in the former state of existence. The Merchant had what can be decribed as scrap still attached to its docking collars. Something detonated in the starboard aft module ('It looked like when you sneeze and fart AT THE SAME TIME, Moon' *grimaces*) and apparently when through the port aft module. End result? You need a new dropship.

Same deal with the other Aurora, apparently. So obviously, because the lights were permanently out on both dropships, they no longer were threats to us. I told Mayhem to check the other dropper, which i inch around my Corsair towards the bridge. I checked six briefly and noted my second observation: No Jumpsail action. I had a crap view as i cycled vision POVs but from my perspective, i think i saw the mechanisms for the solar sails but no meshy stuff. So i coast along the hull, about 25 meters (Yes, i was careful to avoid the thingie claws, Thank-You-Very-much!), jostled my controls until i was nose to nose with the 1/2 bowling ball shaped primary hull.

"Moon, Mayhem. Both droppers are cored, near as i can tell. Both were the Cargo style."

"Anything else? I didn't see jumpsails when i did my approach fore..."

"Nothing there. Looks like they were ditched destination..."

*Chews on her lower lip* "Copy." The bridge was also dark, for a moment, when light appeared at a corner of the bridge space. I had served on several Merchants in my time in the DCA so i knew that door that opened was the port side to the passageway that led to a head, an enlisted berthing and... something else that i couldn't remember at the time. The light silhouetted two figures, one at the door, the other sitting at the #2 Control station. The doorway figure floated towards the control station holding a portable light (unlit at the time) and something else...?

Anyway, at that point i turned on my interior lighting, dimmed it so my night vision wasn't completely compromised and waved. They paused, looked at me, then waved in return. With my left hand, i tapped my helmet with my figure tips before doing the same with just my index finger. The woman with the light, turned on her lantern and promptly blinded herself a moment before almost blinding me *laughter* She finally gets the business end aimed towards the control panel and i can see this will harder still. The man sitting at the station was trying to make repairs but having little success. That's when the woman (girl, really) put the light down (business end in a useful angle as it floated in mid air) pulled out a binder of paper.

I nodded and gave them a 'Roger-Roger' thumps up and waited for the girl to write her message. [NEED HELP. Only me and my Dad. Pirates at Alkaid. SEND HELP, PLZ!!!]. Again, i gave her the 'Roger-Roger' while talking on coms to our jumpers what the situation apparently was (It was then that a training SIM being worked with Boss Lady and her company was stopped mid-session. Pissed off Hopper to no end because she was mid DFA when the Knock-It-Off was issued). I then realized that i made a mild mistake.

Aviators (and some Mechwarriors) commonly have knee boards, pouches on the top of their thighs that typically have their flight instructions and mission details, called NATOPS manuals. Mostly they contain operational stuff, emergency procedures and the like. The material typically used are paper but i always the funky fiberboard, because I can use grease pencils with them (super easy to clean. Barely an Inconvenience!) because of that one time a pen exploded in space which made a major 0-G mess. Anyway, I am a firm believer in grease pencils, so piss off.

I reached for the pouch where my grease pencil was supposed to be. Gone. Later on, i remembered that i gave it to my crew chief briefly but never got it back. I had other options but i didn't want to damage my cockpit screen. (Wanna know HOW i got my callsign? Ink in 0-Gee can be messy. Got all over the cockpit, most of my lower portion of my suit. I got my call sign because at one point, while moving around the cockpit, i pressed my ass against the cockpit screen. Left an impressive looking impression. Of. My. Ass. Anyway, my crew chief suggested grease pensils as a viable alternative) so i reached for my pilot kit to my left...

Pilot kits are small by their nature. Really being nothing more than overnight bags, they don't care much when you are earth-bound, they are actually of little use in space. Not supposed to remove your helmet in space for reasons so you can't snack outside of approved rations via tube, so they are mostly just extra weight. Extra weight that i found invaluable this mission. Because i didn't have any other means to communicate besides my hands, i pulled out my etchasketch.

I had this 'toy' since i was a little girl. I actually have two of these, one the type that you can use in gravity (because its actually filled with some kind of sand. I'm told it really is Lostech) and the other type that really works more like a template (but the electronics are really primitive, designed to imitate a standard etchasketch while in space). So here i am, using my etchasketch to send a return message... Yes, eventually they got help.

('You gonna tell them about when you banged your hubs on top of your plane?') SHUT UP, Mayhem...

Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
Re: The Lone Wolves (Group 117) (or Lucky Idiots?)
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2023, 06:38:58 »
Good job, so far. This reads as a forum post from the character which is definitely a style. Eagerly awaiting more while fighting the urge to join in the story with a character.
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2023, 09:53:00 »
Looks like you're knocking the rust off, will be watching for more.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2023, 10:00:28 »
ping
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2023, 14:28:21 »
The standard pep talk to new hires...

"Welcome to your new command. Yes, we work for The Lone Wolves, who are currently residing on Galatea. Yes, eventually we will return to the fold but for right now, because The Commitee had worked out a deal with Interstellar Expeditions, ourselves at Group 117, as well as Group 119 and Group 120, are authorized Representatives of The Lone Wolves mercenary conglomerate. Anyway, welcome aboard".

Pilot: Lt (SG, MW) Tiffany Dorin~Wood
Callsign: Boss Lady
Homeworld: Damu (Galatea III)
Founder: 1Jan3067 (Officially)
Martial Status: Single
Combat Status: Active [Veteran]

Founding Officer of The Lone Wolves, Group 117. The youngest daughter of a family of career mercenaries, Boss lady is fresh from OCS (Galatea) and ready to face the galaxy (maybe). Her mech is an ancient Clan Black Hawk, a gift from her parents.

Current Assignment: Black Hawk Omnimech #1

Note: Boss lady's main talent is avoiding trouble. She seems to be blessed with abundant luck: When Boss Lady is used in a scenario, it seems that OPFOR doesn't send their best troops on the mission (Use the BMR Skill tables at -2 on the die roll), however, her finance skills are sketchy at best (Add 1d6% of the mission cost to the amount required to pay, adding 1d6 to each year of continued existence)

Note2: [Academy] Basic 1.0+ Inf 1.0+ MW +1.0 Officer 1.0

Personal log, 5Jan3070, 1730 local:

I just got off the phone with [Redacted] with the details on our next mission. Donegal, currently contested by The Word of Blake. They themselves don't know specifics as yet but it looks to be another Outreach (Part II). Go in, get something, Leave. Ordinarily, I would be either worried to death or telling her to Piss Off but i have become used to this after three years working with her. I won't say I trust her (yet) but we have far more successes than failures so far. The Commitee might have other feelings on the matter...

Speaking of, I had to explain an awful lot about Group 117's efforts since we all left Outreach in 3067. They were very interested in the details I provided on our recent Objective Raid back to Outreach (details including current environmental climate, aerial verification of certain sectors hit by nuclear weapons, confirmation of survivors, etc.). They also approved of my decision to leave the vehicles we spent the past year purchasing off local Auctions for that mission to the Outreach Resistance (They mentioned nothing about the volunteers we left behind; apparently, that's my problem, not theirs.

There is also no penalty for last month, either. 'War Colonel' [Redacted] cried all day about our deceitful actions but I just smiled, gave him a middle finger and reminded him, they attacked first. Apparently, Group 123 has never fought the Word before thus being introduced to C3 and counter ECCM tactics was a new thing to him. (Yes, i cheated but I am not gonna let some Jaypot dictate terms after all we went through recently. Screw Him, he can go spend his own C-bills on TLW provided Kleenex boxes) He still complained but The Commitee moved on to other things. For this I am grateful. I did NOT want to explain all the misadventures we had the past three years (Dieron, Solaris, The FWL/Lyran War, Tohelet)...

Anyway, I suppose I should make my presence known back in OPS. now that I know where (and roughly when) we are going next, I need to shout out orders, tell people to start buying ammo and plan the next training op this month (assuming of course, that Group 123 or someone else is spoiling for a fight...)

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2023, 19:12:47 »
Moon..   :smitten:
Boss Lady  8)
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2023, 23:03:57 »
Friendly Fire never is...

Soldier: Infantry Cpl. Cristo Conterras [Exo]
Assignment: 2nd Platoon, TLW (Group 117) Security Detachment
Homeworld: Galatea V
Recruited: 02Feb3067
Marital Status: Married (Cynthia [Redacted])
Combat Status: Active [Regular]
Notice: Due to CTE/Cronic, member is DISQUALIFIED from BA Training/Ops

Hired by the Lone Wolves during their garrison tour on Galatea in the winter of 3067. Member was part of a LAAF Militia unit that, for reasons left vague, decided to go mercenary recently. [Notice: As he was planning to have a job lined up after his hitch with the LAAF, [member] took evening classes at the [censored] Tech Collage to become a qualified Exo-suit operator. He still needs AM training, however, for an official MOS change to occur...]

Current Assignment: ASF Duties

Note: Agreed to Terms upon his engagement with his fiancé over New year's 3068...

Note2: [Enlistment] Basic 0.5+ Inf 1.5

Here I am...

I am looking at myself in the mirror, arms bracing myself as I look at the man in the reflection that is before me. He is me but he is not. The mirror shows me the man I used to be last year. The man that used to be married to my lovely wife. The man that used to have a lovely infant daughter. The man who used to be able to walk in armor...

One hundred fifty days. From injury to Cure, my entire time it took me to learn to walk again, to change myself, bath myself, be human, it took one hundred, fifty days...

Now I am being very hard on my doctor. He is the reason I still breath, after the meat grinder that was Outreach. He did amazing work on the only guy who got seriously injured on 15Oct69. It's not his fault, I will never join the BA Corps. The ones to blame... at least had the guts to eat a bullet rather than be captured. No point being angry, after all. I am still alive. The Gold finger on his right hand also mocking reminds him, You're still married too, Idiot.

So here's the crossroad I am at now. "What Now?" I am still qualified as a Infantryman. The dosage I have to take does NOT disqualify from the soldiery. If anything, my aim has improved. I just don't have to worry about being a Mechwarrior... or Battle Armor Infantry. Which is a shame. The pay is better, even though the odds of being a smashed smear increase about 150% on average.

He looks into the mirror, closer now, with a grimace of determination that both men share briefly before one of them smiles. "Hehe.... the PAY is better"...

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2023, 16:03:35 »
Sheratan Looks lovely this time of year...

...but not when it's snowing...

29Nov70 1815 Local

Hawk Moth Air Crew-

Pilot W2 Leooldine Izyednikov (Pilot #1)
Co-Pilot W2 Lao-che Wong (Pilot #2)

[Hawk 01]: "*squaellll~ Damnit! HQ still doesn't respond..."
[Hawk 02]: "I thought these Grim Dorks were pissing themselves?"

*long pause as the helicopter continues to navigate over the [redacted] forest*

[Hawk 02] "Izzy, IFF Bing, 1.4 klicks ahead, baring [redacted]..."

*Hawk 01 remains silent, merely moving her stick forward to push her airspeed in the falling snow*

[Hawk 01] "I see it..."

[Hawk 02] *playing with dials* "Echo, this is Hawk Flight. Respond, please?".

[Hawk 01] "She isn't moving..."

*the Hoplite is parked on top of a rise among the heavy forest, facing towards the north-west, motionless*

[Hawk 02] "What do we do? Still no coms on Guard or our presets..." *dials being changed* "Her reactor is nominal..."

[Hawk 01] "Echo, this is Hawk Flight, please respond?"

*the unit shifts on it feet turning more towards the west, struggling to imply THAT direction*

[Hawk 02] "Whats to the wes..."

*the target lock alarm was the last thing Warrant Officer Wong would remember about the event*

~

Agent 'Echo' smiled as her PPC and LRM flight contacted true against her "comrades". She will have enough trouble explaining her hasty retreat from Nav Point Lamba (but lets be honest: When the enemy springs forth from concealment with Grenadier Battle Armor and a Devastator MBT, its probably for the best...) but because the Cronus [Cpl Elphic] MIA herself ('I'll bet she ran deeper into the warehouse district to lose the Grim Determination defenders!'), she still have time to park, 'adjust her Battle ROM' and think nothing of this. She smiles as she hits a switch on the side of her ejection seat. The monitor changed its setting, her IFF changing, briefly, in the electronic spectrum before pushing on her foot pedals, moving the battlemech was not originally hers towards the wreckage of the helicopter.

No Survivors. No Witnesses.

~

Pilot: Sgt (MW) Lorraine Stubblefield
Callsign: Echo
Homeworld: Paradise
Recruited: 28Dec3068
Martial Status: Single
Combat Status: Active [Veteran]

Captured by the Lone Wolves during their garrison tour on Paradise in the winter of 3068. Echo is a inexperianced mercenary, "Defending my claim!". She previously served in the FWL Militia unit circumstance forced her to resign [That part is true].. She does not know the pedigree of her Hoplite (other than it's been a FWL Hot Potato since the 3020's)

Current Assignment: Hoplite 4B #1

Note: Agent Teadora Vadim-Echo has been successfully inserted into the Mercenaries' command presence; Used 1 Edge to avoid a broken neck during ejection...

Note2: [Acedemy] Basic 1+ Mech 1

18Feb69: Found a problem, will remove the problem shortly... [Two soldiers are currently MIA]

4Aug69: Found the SAFE agent that supposedly was here since earlier this year. It's quite funny to see her figit as her handlers almost intentionally ignore her presence in TLW... I have been told the handler was killed, destroyed by a 15th Division MD who disagreed with the handler.

18Apr70: I had almost of a chance to send a message to warn of our treacherous raid on Donegal, but the ship when into lock down, all hands to their bunks.

13Nov70: My first return reply was basic codes, basic jobs (no different than previous orders), it was the length of time the laser reply took. My mech cubicle faces a armored hatch with 4 inchs of Fero Glass. I wasnt certain this would even work because of the glass but it did. The relay, which was still there, 50 Light Minutes off the [Redacted] Jump Point. I told them as much as I knew before I had to leave my mech to avoid questions...

29Nov70 1420 Local: [Agent Teadora Vadim-Echo] How A~quaint. They want us to NOT KILL the Grim Determination... Quaint.

29Nov70 1745: [WoB Agent] Thank those GD ECM efforts. We did not detect that ambush until they cored the new kid's GRF. The Cronus? I don't know; I just pulled back while looking like I was repositioning myself...

Register