Author Topic: Mercs, mechs and the freedom to create my own motley crew?  (Read 8886 times)

Fnord

• Warrant Officer
I've been pondering how to best make my force, and in order to avoid stepping on the toes of any fluff nuts out there (that should not be seen as a derogatory term, I'm quite fond of fluff nuts), I've been thinking about going merc, and create my own band.

But I thought it would be best to ask, before I commit, by giving all of my models a similar paint-job: Would it be "realistic" to expect both Clan & Inner sphere mechs to be present in a merc force, or should I (for the sake of future fluffy battles) paint them up differently? I'll still use them together in basic games, but it is nice to be able to play games that makes sense in the setting. I understand that it is not rare for damaged mechs to be salvaged & used by the other side, but having a close to even split would probably look a bit odd if I were to play as either clan or inner sphere.

Also, as a side question, I bought a box reading "mechwarrior 3 clan" (it was the cheapest way to get 4 mechs, and I quite like the look of those in it, namely the Puma, Shadow cat, Mad cat & Daishi), and this box still makes references to FASA (and microsoft, but that company is still going strong), which makes me wonder, is this a long out of print box that I managed to get my hands on?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Mercs, mechs and the freedom to create my own motley crew?
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 14:09:22 »
Clantech in a mercenary unit isn't unheard of, but it's a pain in the ass to keep working and expensive to use.  I'd file it in the "plausible" bin, ala Mythbusters.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 14:12:28 »
I've been pondering how to best make my force, and in order to avoid stepping on the toes of any fluff nuts out there (that should not be seen as a derogatory term, I'm quite fond of fluff nuts), I've been thinking about going merc, and create my own band.

But I thought it would be best to ask, before I commit, by giving all of my models a similar paint-job: Would it be "realistic" to expect both Clan & Inner sphere mechs to be present in a merc force, or should I (for the sake of future fluffy battles) paint them up differently? I'll still use them together in basic games, but it is nice to be able to play games that makes sense in the setting. I understand that it is not rare for damaged mechs to be salvaged & used by the other side, but having a close to even split would probably look a bit odd if I were to play as either clan or inner sphere.

Also, as a side question, I bought a box reading "mechwarrior 3 clan" (it was the cheapest way to get 4 mechs, and I quite like the look of those in it, namely the Puma, Shadow cat, Mad cat & Daishi), and this box still makes references to FASA (and microsoft, but that company is still going strong), which makes me wonder, is this a long out of print box that I managed to get my hands on?

That was probably a promotional for the Mechwarrior 3 computer game so yeah that's a product for a looong time ago these days.

As for the first part of the question, after the 3050s Clan tech wouldn't be implausible at all, but you have to remember that it is expensive and tough to maintain.  The Diamond Sharks/Sea Foxes won't deal with mercenaries probably, so you'll be stuck getting replacements from battlefield salvage or buying through a third party at what I suspect would be a high premium.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 15:11:18 »
Clantech in a mercenary unit isn't unheard of, but it's a pain in the ass to keep working and expensive to use.  I'd file it in the "plausible" bin, ala Mythbusters.

If you have only very few, yes. But a small mercenary unit with 70% Clan tech is not very plausible by a long shot. It has happened in canon and it is possible... but usually that wouldn't work very well and you'd get more from selling Clan tech and buying a few more IS 'Mechs.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 15:34:50 »
As Lanceman says, not only is Clan tech equipment and weapons more expensive and harder to obtain but YOU, the mercenary, are the one who has to pay for it all, usually at a premium or through fighting the Clanners themselves for it.  And then the spare parts.  And the techs skilled enough to maintain it.  And then for the modifications to put it on you mech.  Starts to get real expensive, real quick.

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 15:46:36 »
There's a reason that a lot of us old merc grognards run standard engines, structure, and armor up into the modern era. Simply the cost.

Good clan mechs to have would share that kind of lower maintenance. The Blackhawk is a good example.

Anyway the Black Thorns are the Super Clantech merc unit folks are referring to. We all know what happens when you have extraordinary luck, it means you have extraordinary good and bad. And that's why they got wiped out without ever firing a shot. 8)

Staying afloat financially is the biggest thing for a merc unit. With clan mechs you could command better contracts....but if you can't get maintenance and parts in those contracts, those high-end machines will bleed you dry.

snowridr

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 16:02:43 »
Play the game and make your unit the way you want.  I would just say though make sure you give your opponents similar leeway in their unit creations.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 16:32:14 »
Put them into your merc unit if you'd like. It's not really that unrealistic for fluff, anyway, either. Maybe your unit was lucky, or maybe they had struck it rich and purchased some, or maybe the owner is financially incompetent and keeps those 'Mechs around despite the cost.

One of the hallmarks of every merc unit ever created by BT fans is the fun appeal to the person that made them. They're a personal thing. I doubt even fluff nuts would really get offended at a merc unit with that. It's more of a problem to them when you delve into canon units and start to add in unrealistic stuff.

But your unit? It's your unit. Have fun with it. Have a blast. It's Battletech.  :)

Fnord

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 16:41:39 »
I'll take Nibs's advice and simply let them be in one merc band (and once I have a better grasp of the setting type out a page or two of fluff for my own merc band), but have the logical logistical limitations of having such expensive/hard to maintain mechs in mind if I start to play campaigns. Considering the fact that I love the look of many of the older light & medium mechs I do suspect that they will come to outnumber the clan mechs in due time (although there are certain clan mechs that I love as well).

That was probably a promotional for the Mechwarrior 3 computer game so yeah that's a product for a looong time ago these days.
Ah, then I should maybe try to snag the inner sphere box as well, before it disappears. Granted, buying long out of print boxes can be a bit of a problem, in particular if you run into missmolded units (like the puma that came in the box, darn that thing was a pain to put together)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 16:42:19 »
I third the comments about it being your unit and having fun with it.

However, if you really want an interesting ride, save clan tech as something to strive for. Ultimate upgrades if you will. That way if you run it as an ongoing campaign, the final rides for any named character can be decked out with clan tech, or a clan chassis.

It's far more entertaining and worthwhile to have worked for it, hunted it down, or have it land in your lap when you're not expecting it.

I've seen a couple merc units start out ideally primed and fully kitted, to see them take on a little more than they could chew and lose some of their prime fighting units and have to fill in with lower end stuff early, when the pilot hasn't the salvage or resources or renown to restock.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2011, 16:43:12 »
Come up with a reason to have the mechs you want, and go for it.  Worry about what is fun first and foremost.   Depending on the era, caln tech is not all that rare, just expensive, and hard to keep operateing. There are bordr skirmishes all along the clan edge right up to the Jihad, and even somewhat after. All good places to collect salvage, and solid pay for mercs
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2011, 17:21:29 »
I use almost do clan items in my Merc unit cost again is the big factor. BUT I do pick up a few items for special units my Legionnaire mounts a clan ER PPC mad sense and the cost is not that prohibitive.

Wildfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2011, 17:54:25 »
I tend to only use some Clan tech preferring IS tech, Mainly because it "feels" better in the units I run, but remember Herb's standard answer no 1, It's your game!

If you want Clan tech it is available to the Inner sphere post invasion, you just have to acquire it.

And it's up keep will cost an arm and a leg.

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2011, 20:32:21 »
Maybe start with all IS machines, then everytime you fight the Clans (and hopefully win!), add in a Clan mech or two as "salvage".

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2011, 21:12:58 »
If doable and has been done before. Just make sure to let your fellow mercs know these mechs are a gift from god for a IS grunt and should be treated as such. They will give you a great advantage on the battlefield but the cost on upkeep will be the great equalizer.

As for fluff; whatever works for you. I would say spoils of war from Operation Bulldog, would be fitting considering your minis are from a MW3 promo box (great find by the way O0 )
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

General308

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2011, 22:35:56 »

Don't worry about what anyone else things.  Just make something you will enjoy.  It is yours to play after all.

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #16 on: 26 January 2011, 23:22:04 »
I agree, it is your game, therefore it is your world. There are many ways clan tech made its way to the Mers once the Clan Invasion begain.

On a different subject, anyone know where the spell checker is at?

Daryl
"Artillerymen believe the world consist of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets."
- Unknown

Mart_UK

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 27 January 2011, 12:32:56 »
It's your game, so if you want your guys to be carrying Clantech then who am I to say you can't?  The write ups for several merc units (albeit larger ones) mentions them having Clantech, and Battle Magic (in FM: Merc revised) are mentioned as buying most of their Clantech on the open market post Bulldog and Coventry.  If your mercs are running Clan 'mechs then there's no reason why they can't be painted the same as your IS ones.

There might be a hurdle when it comes to maintaining it unless you've got some techs who can work Clantech (and they'll be expensive) and replacements are going to be hard to come by.  How would the ammunition be dealt with?  I've always assumed that Clan weapons need specific Clan ammo (it adds to the hassle of keeping Clantech operational and gives another reason to trade it for IS stuff). 

Using the basic rules from FM: mercs a Clan ER PPC can (and does if I have my way) cost up to 720,000 c-bills  :'( 

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2011, 02:31:48 »
What we did in our games was created our own merc units and everyone started out with IS tech (cheapest, easily available in canon blah blah blah) then we would take contracts and fight clanners. Sometimes we'd get lucky and disable a mech with parts we could use. Then it came down to dice rolls.

You approach a neutralized mech, you wish to salvage it. Do the following....

Roll both dice against a difficulty of 7 for IS mech components and a difficulty of 9 for Clan mech components.
Fail the roll and you have damaged the weapon/component beyond it's use

Once you have successfully salvaged the component then you have to install it

Roll both dice against a difficulty of 5 for IS mech gear and 7 for clan mech gear.

NOTE: The lower difficulty for installation is because you have already taken it out once and have a basic understanding of how it "plugs in".

This made upgrading our forces very time consuming and a chance at failure. Nobody wants to start with "God Mode" and then slaughter non clan-tech forces right?

I'm piloting a MAD-5R right now that has taken me many many many game sessions to get to about half clan tech and even then I've almost lost it a few times facing clan mechs to get the parts. I can't tell you how many components I've destroyed trying to take them out of enemy clan mechs after a battle.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2011, 15:02:38 by OverKill »
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

Gunbunnie

• Sergeant
  • My first mech was a...
« Reply #19 on: 28 January 2011, 19:28:51 »
It's your game, so if you want your guys to be carrying Clantech then who am I to say you can't?  The write ups for several merc units (albeit larger ones) mentions them having Clantech, and Battle Magic (in FM: Merc revised) are mentioned as buying most of their Clantech on the open market post Bulldog and Coventry.  If your mercs are running Clan 'mechs then there's no reason why they can't be painted the same as your IS ones.

There might be a hurdle when it comes to maintaining it unless you've got some techs who can work Clantech (and they'll be expensive) and replacements are going to be hard to come by.  How would the ammunition be dealt with?  I've always assumed that Clan weapons need specific Clan ammo (it adds to the hassle of keeping Clantech operational and gives another reason to trade it for IS stuff). 

Using the basic rules from FM: mercs a Clan ER PPC can (and does if I have my way) cost up to 720,000 c-bills  :'(

I do not think that ammo would be a problem. I think that the clans would have keep the calber of their ballistic weapons. This is just my take on it. The reasonning behind it if you are invading someone that will streach out your supply line, if you used the same calber weapons then you could rearm by taking the ammo from your enemy.

Daryl
"Artillerymen believe the world consist of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets."
- Unknown

Nightwinder

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2011, 05:56:32 »
Couple of days behind, but both the MechWarrior & MechCommander lance packs are available through RPE still.  In terms of paintjob for the Clan/IS divide, you can never go wrong with a camo scheme :)

Other folks have gone over the difficulties of using Clantech in a normal mercenary force, but in terms of going the other way, remember that all the (original) SLDF designs are going to be found in Clan units, with a tiny percentage of newer IS salvage.

Fnord

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2011, 10:41:40 »
Thanks for all of your replies. With all this info, and my general inexperience with the battletech universe (I have played MechWarrior 1 & 4 in the past), it might simply be best for me to not make any descisions yet (or simply let whatever campaign I play in the future decide what they will be, I'm not good at freehanding emblems & such anyway, so the will have a uniform paintjob with no real allegiance markings). I can understand the problems of using OmniMechs for a group that does not have a huge financial backing for it, or easy access to spare parts & other omni-gear. When I made my first post I had also not yet realized how many different paint schemes there are out there (camo specs online really has a huge selection of different paint schemes) for the different factions, so who can claim that I did not simply paint mine like one of those yet to be (officially) decided groups?

*edit*
Also, as Nightwinder pointed out, the MW3 box is available through RPE, which is where I got mine. Is this simply leftover stock, or are these boxes still in production?
« Last Edit: 31 January 2011, 10:49:49 by Fnord »

snowridr

• Corporal
« Reply #22 on: 31 January 2011, 15:14:12 »
The are OOP in the US AFAIR, they were made in support of the computer games released in the late 90's.  There were a few differences in a couple of the mechs from the regular designs, I dont't have them so I could not tell you what they are.