Author Topic: Star Wars Squadrons trailer  (Read 7850 times)

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
Re: Star Wars Squadrons trailer
« Reply #60 on: 31 July 2020, 11:17:34 »
Yeah, in STAR WARS Armada the B-Wing is one of the slowest fighter squadrons (hardiest, but slowest)

And have never seen the B-Wing depicted as a 'Beast' beyond the Hard Hitting, punishment taking."

I think in the Rogue Squadron series or Empire at War (or some older source) they were characterized as being agile.  I want to say that this has been ret-conned since then for the sake of balance.

I'm pretty confident Empire at War billed it as a bomber that could handle itself in a dogfight at the very least.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #61 on: 31 July 2020, 11:21:49 »
I think in the Rogue Squadron series or Empire at War (or some older source) they were characterized as being agile.  I want to say that this has been ret-conned since then for the sake of balance.

I'm pretty confident Empire at War billed it as a bomber that could handle itself in a dogfight at the very least.

yeah, it's had to Say...

I played WAY back in the day:

Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing from Lucas Arts, and in that game, it most certainly not overly agile. The 'Can Handle itself in a Dogfight' was not overly agaile but high shielding and robust hull/
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 31 July 2020, 11:22:59 »
if I remember right, the B wing was roughly as fast and maneuverable as the Y wing, but its tougher, with more armor, heavier shielding, and more and heavier guns.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #63 on: 31 July 2020, 11:25:53 »
if I remember right, the B wing was roughly as fast and maneuverable as the Y wing, but its tougher, with more armor, heavier shielding, and more and heavier guns.

And that's how I remember it as well, and the Y-Wing can dog fight, but certainly not on the same level as a Tie-Interceptor

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 31 July 2020, 11:42:22 »
looking at star ward second edition by WEG pg 248

B-wing
maneuverability 1D+1
space 6
hull 3D
shields 2D

weapons:
laser cannon
front
fire control 1D
damage 7D

2 Proton Torpedo Launchers
Front
fire Control 1D
damage 9D

3 medium Ion cannon (Fire Linked)
front
fire control 4D
combined damage 4D

2 auto blasters
front
fire control 2D
damage 3D

y- wing (pg 249)
maneuverability 2D
space 7
hull 4D
shields 1D+2

weapons
2 laser cannons (fire linked)
front
fire control 2D
damage 5D

2 Proton torpedo Launchers
front
fire control 2D
damage 9D

2 light ion cannons ( fire linked)
turret  (fixed front @ 1D controlled by pilot)
fire control 3D
damage 4D

so according to those stats the y wing is actually tougher, faster and more maneuverable than the B wing

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #65 on: 31 July 2020, 11:47:50 »
Without knowing the WEG game system, you Could say:

B-Wing
maneuverability Turnip

Y-Wing
maneuverability Desk

And would mean as much
;)

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: 31 July 2020, 11:52:22 »
so according to those stats the y wing is actually tougher, faster and more maneuverable than the B wing

To my understanding, the Y-wing is actually more maneuverable than you'd expect because the rebels fly it without its armor, which is ok because it has the ruggedness of a Browning machine gun.  Meanwhile the B-wing is large, but the thin structure makes it more prone to snapping, but it's durable anyway because it has the shield generator of a small starship.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #67 on: 31 July 2020, 11:56:54 »
Or just use the Star Wars flight sims- XvT has all these spelled out.

IIRC, the X-wing in a balanced set up flew at a speed of 100, the B-wing was . . . 90?  80? while the Y-wing was 70?  The TIE fighter was 100, Interceptor was 120? the A-wing was 125?  TIE Advanced was 130?  Although the last 3 could be high by 5.

This is sounding more and more like Battlefront Space New Edition rather than XvT 2.0.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #68 on: 31 July 2020, 12:01:45 »
Wasn't the B-wing the replacement for the Y-wing as the heavy fighter/bomber?

If I recall the Empire had the Assault Gunship as their approx same ship in X-Wing series (the Tie Fighter-games).

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: 31 July 2020, 12:24:45 »

If I recall the Empire had the Assault Gunship as their approx same ship in X-Wing series (the Tie Fighter-games).

The B-wing was designed as a straight replacement for the Y-wing.  I don't think it ever fully took over due to its high cost.  Honestly, if the ship wasn't Ackbar's baby, it would have had a rough time getting cleared for production.  Even after the Galactic Civil War ended, he had to fight to KEEP it in production.

I'm not as familiar with the assault gunship from a lore perspective, but I'm pretty sure it fills vaguely the same role as the B-wing.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #70 on: 31 July 2020, 16:22:56 »
More so as it was a Imperial small craft that was mass produced with a hyperdrive.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 31 July 2020, 16:23:21 »
Off-hand, the B-wing (in new canon) was originally to be a space superiority/multirole fighter. But the production version shifted to ordnance-based armament, relegating it into a Y-wing replacement. It wasn't that originally, but became one.

The Assault Gunboat indeed resembles the final B-wing in function (mix of lasers, ion cannons and ordnance), though since the new canonization i still vague (and whether FFG actually recanonized it is debatable since their SW RPG canon status hasn't been clarified, Wookieepedia treats it as canon for most part), they can change still i suppose.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #72 on: 31 July 2020, 16:32:03 »
Or they just make those really rare loot box drops. This is EA we are talking about after all. Yeah, I don't trust EA not to mess this up.
they aren't doing that model of game though.
Yeah, in STAR WARS Armada the B-Wing is one of the slowest fighter squadrons (hardiest, but slowest)

And have never seen the B-Wing depicted as a 'Beast' beyond the Hard Hitting, punishment taking."

keep in mind that Squadrons follows the canon and not the old legends material.  (or even the mixed legends/canon set up that Armada has) the old legends material had the B-wing as slower. the canon shows it with 90% of the speed of the T-65B X-wing, similar agility, and with much higher defense and firepower. (there is conflicting info of course.. the written descriptions in some books carry over the "slower than a Y-wing" stuff from legends but the actual listed stats have them almost 25% faster than a Y-wing, usually in the same book.) actual appearances on screen reinforce the stats, not the fluff, as its appearance in Rebels (where it was a "blockade buster" strike fighter, not the multirole sometimes claimed) showed it as plenty fast, while the return of the jedi appearance and its use in the canon comics and novels shows it plenty agile.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2020, 16:36:29 by glitterboy2098 »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 31 July 2020, 17:06:27 »
Pretty sure big-ass beam cannon that melts bigger ships doubles as melting just about everything, eg multi role :P

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 01 August 2020, 00:16:57 »

I think the only bonus it has in maneuvering is its "Gyroscopic stabilizer cockpit.

IIRC yes it was..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #75 on: 02 August 2020, 22:58:53 »
IIRC, the old Legends material had the B-Wing as Slower & Less Maneuverable than the Y-Wing.

But, it also had a boatload more firepower.

Think of them in terms of Mechs.

Light = A
Medium = X
Heavy = Y
Assault = B

As you work your way down the list they get slower, but also gain Firepower & Armor, or, Shields

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo