Author Topic: Windows 7 support is ending January 2020 - What are you going to do?  (Read 10926 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Windows 7 support is ending January 2020 - What are you going to do?
« Reply #30 on: 21 November 2019, 18:14:32 »
Considering NT 3 made it to version 3.51 Service Pack 5 it wasn't really all that persistent either.
I did a seven month deployment with only two reboots, and neither was due to a blue screen.  This Win10 box blue screens at least once a month.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #31 on: 21 November 2019, 21:25:38 »
That's one of the suckiest things about buying new laptops these days, you really only get two choices..  Apple OS or microshaft OS..  I've never seen a store offer one with Linux or the like..

Google has been pushing their Chromebook lately.  I'm not sure how I feel about that, though, considering how much information Google deals with on a daily basis.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 21 November 2019, 21:39:47 »
The schools out here use chrombooks. My daughter has had hers for about 4 years now. They start handing them out for home use at 3rd grade. If you don't buy the offered insurance you are SOL if it breaks for something not covered by the warranty or it gets lost/stolen.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #33 on: 21 November 2019, 23:45:02 »
I've never seen a store offer one with Linux or the like..
Chrome OS is a thing you know? At least Acer and Samsung make laptops (called Chromebook) with it. You can also ask around where to get Linux computers. I had visited a computer store that sells used & refurbished computers for cheap, and they can install Linux on anyone of them if so desired.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 22 November 2019, 00:41:47 »
I was under the impression Office365 was all they were going to support after January and I'm not really looking forward to buying an Office subscription.
End-of-support for MS Office products are:
- Office 2013 SP1 : Mainstream ended, Extended 04/2023
- Office 2016 : Mainstream 10/2020, Extended 10/2025
- Office 2019 : Mainstream 10/2023, Extended 10/2025

For Office 365 Microsoft reserves the right to end support at any point with 12 months notice.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 22 November 2019, 02:37:42 »
The schools out here use chrombooks. My daughter has had hers for about 4 years now. They start handing them out for home use at 3rd grade. If you don't buy the offered insurance you are SOL if it breaks for something not covered by the warranty or it gets lost/stolen.

I'd tell the school "sorry my kid wants something else"..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 22 November 2019, 09:31:47 »
My older computer still has Win7. I only use it for word processing, surfing the internet, and other simple things. I recently got a new computer with Win10. That one is used for gaming and streaming. So, I'm not worried about support ending.
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 22 November 2019, 16:40:34 »
My older computer still has Win7. I only use it for word processing, surfing the internet, and other simple things. I recently got a new computer with Win10. That one is used for gaming and streaming. So, I'm not worried about support ending.
I have a desk top with WIN-XP still, that i use for my stand-alone gaming - Command and conquer, empire earth, SW battle front 1 and 2 (the old ones).. 
I also keep it for backing up my word docs, pics and such on.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2019, 02:16:31 by garhkal »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 22 November 2019, 19:58:08 »
I find it hilarious that using "XP" without the proper casing invokes that particular emoji from the forum...

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #39 on: 22 November 2019, 20:42:58 »
All unsupported means is don't  take it on the internet very often.  It's the security updates that are important. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

CapricornNoble

• Corporal
« Reply #40 on: 22 November 2019, 22:25:15 »
I'm thinking about switching to Linux Mint, but I want to make sure that I can get something like Autodesk Fusion 360 to run on it.  What's everyone else going to do?

I've been running versions of Ubuntu (lately Kubuntu, KDE Plasma 5 is adequately mature) as my sole OS across desktop + laptops for several years. In the past year or so I nabbed an old Panasonic Toughbook and loaded it with Win10 for running a few games + apps that don't work well/at all under Wine.

I'm not certain exactly what functionality you desire from Autodesk Fusion 360, but consider:
-the version of Catia used to design the Eurofighter Typhoon runs under Wine very well (link)
-Blender is pretty damn good these days for 3d artwork, but I've never really liked Blender's workflow (back in high school I used 3ds Max and that really set my interface/workflow expectations)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #41 on: 22 November 2019, 23:20:38 »
End-of-support for MS Office products are:
- Office 2013 SP1 : Mainstream ended, Extended 04/2023
- Office 2016 : Mainstream 10/2020, Extended 10/2025
- Office 2019 : Mainstream 10/2023, Extended 10/2025

For Office 365 Microsoft reserves the right to end support at any point with 12 months notice.

I'm using office 2010.  I suppose if I can find one those for cheap it might be worth it.  Still have to get a new computer though those to have any value.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 23 November 2019, 00:47:18 »
I'm using office 2010.
Extended support end October 2020.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 23 November 2019, 02:17:24 »
I use open office, so i don't have that issue.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 24 November 2019, 13:26:12 »
I did a seven month deployment with only two reboots, and neither was due to a blue screen.  This Win10 box blue screens at least once a month.
I worked customer-support IT from 2000-2006 and I gotta say NT and 2000 were by far the best Windows products ever made
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 24 November 2019, 13:39:40 »
I never experienced 2000... the Navy skipped that version as far as I know...

kato

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 24 November 2019, 13:51:23 »
I worked customer-support IT from 2000-2006 and I gotta say NT and 2000 were by far the best Windows products ever made
I ran 2000 Server on a box for 10 years pretty much continuously (i think i rebooted it twice in that time to update some settings...).

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #47 on: 24 November 2019, 15:24:26 »
I'm running Win10 on all my stuff and have been since it released.

Macs have great designs, but I've never been a fan of their OSs. And Google/Android I wouldn't trust with running on any device, be it a computer or phone.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 24 November 2019, 23:30:46 »
I haven't even USED a mac since System 7 (IT'S COMING, OKAY?!)  Talk about nostalgia.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 25 November 2019, 03:20:40 »
I'm running Win10 on all my stuff and have been since it released.

Macs have great designs, but I've never been a fan of their OSs. And Google/Android I wouldn't trust with running on any device, be it a computer or phone.

I too have been running 10 on most PCs, upgraded as soon as it was available. Not sure what a lot of you guys are doing with your PC's, but the only BSODs I've had have been a direct result of faulty hardware or bad drivers. Easy to fix if you can work out exactly what the problem is.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 25 November 2019, 04:37:42 »
I haven't even USED a mac since System 7 (IT'S COMING, OKAY?!)  Talk about nostalgia.
The switch to OS X was what drove me to Windows after years of using Macs.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #51 on: 26 November 2019, 13:13:23 »
Meh. The only Win7 computer I still own or use isn't connected to the internet -- it's an overglorified media player/word processor at this point. So I'm not overly concerned. Maybe someday, if I care enough, I might use that as a testbed for Linux or something, but for now, … meh.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #52 on: 27 November 2019, 10:06:09 »
I'm not certain exactly what functionality you desire from Autodesk Fusion 360, but consider:
-the version of Catia used to design the Eurofighter Typhoon runs under Wine very well (link)
-Blender is pretty damn good these days for 3d artwork, but I've never really liked Blender's workflow (back in high school I used 3ds Max and that really set my interface/workflow expectations)

I use Fusion 360 for 3D printing.  I make stuff for my Transformers collecting hobby as well as for the military vehicle restoration (yes, the real trucks) and modeling.  I'm most familiar with Autodesk products having used them throughout my career, so I'm not sure what else is out there, especially for Linux.
BATTLEMASTER

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 27 November 2019, 16:31:07 »
Just plastic parts, or metal too?  ???

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #54 on: 27 November 2019, 21:16:02 »
Just plastic for now.  I'm thinking about quitting my day job and going large scale 3D print manufacturing starting with historical automotive restoration.  But I digress...  Need to figure out if Fusion 360 will work on some flavor of Linux!
BATTLEMASTER

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 27 November 2019, 21:18:48 »
Good to know, thanks!  Best of luck with the manufacturing angle...  :thumbsup:

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 06 December 2019, 02:02:04 »
For those running older versions of windows, has anyone looked into PCmatic? I haven't used their products, but I remember one commercial of theirs mentioning that they support older versions of windows. They might make patches for those versions as well.

I don't really care for windows 10 myself. I have tried using it on my desktop a few years back and the damn thing crashed constantly. I know what i am doing, but the os was just unstable and I decided to stick with 7. My laptop came with 10 and I have not had a problem with it, which makes me believe that in 10's early stages it may have had issues that have been resolved.

For several years I have really liked the idea of Linux, but when it comes to gaming it has been a no-go. I have heard that there was WINE that could run some games that were designed for windows, but never the games I was playing. Considering the windows office package on my laptop expired I have only increased in my dislike for windows since I bought the laptop for school. As much as I dislike MicroSquish, there is no chances in hell that im going to switch to an apple product.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 06 December 2019, 11:06:33 »
When you says Windows crashed, do you mean the actual OS (BSOD, etc.) or the running program?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #58 on: 06 December 2019, 19:33:17 »
I've been messing with Win10 on a spare PC and will probably end up migrating at some point over the Christmas break. I've got three desktops and a laptop to migrate so it might take me a while. Gaming means that xinuL isn't really an option, and while I find it ugly in the extreme and the lack of control over updates is annoying, I'll probably adapt over time.

Besides, I hear that moving to Win10 might give my GTX980Ti and GTX1060Ti access to newer versions of DirectX.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #59 on: 07 December 2019, 14:38:51 »
System76, Zareason, HP and Dell, but at a premium.
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.