Author Topic: Fan Finance 2.0 Questions  (Read 194212 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Fan Finance 2.0 Questions
« Reply #30 on: 31 January 2015, 22:15:23 »
So you are essentially suggesting doing this once a year? No thanks. I'd rather be able to insert some of the new stuff coming down the line.

But...new stuff is the focus for the foreseeable future? So you would rather pay money to see new stuff faster, than see old slights corrected or old holes filled in?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #31 on: 31 January 2015, 23:10:03 »
But...new stuff is the focus for the foreseeable future? So you would rather pay money to see new stuff faster, than see old slights corrected or old holes filled in?
Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. I will just make this observation. Of the top 6 minis currently in the poll, 3 of them have come out in the last 2 1/2 months with one being a little over 2 weeks old. We've had years of fan funding that didn't see some of these old slights/holes fixed.
(I'm not convinced that some of them that may win the votes will actually get the money needed such as the Blood Kite.)

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #32 on: 31 January 2015, 23:31:57 »
Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. I will just make this observation. Of the top 6 minis currently in the poll, 3 of them have come out in the last 2 1/2 months with one being a little over 2 weeks old. We've had years of fan funding that didn't see some of these old slights/holes fixed.
(I'm not convinced that some of them that may win the votes will actually get the money needed such as the Blood Kite.)

Well how many years did fan financing actually run for? i think the biggest projects that got done were arguably the microfighters and warships, which is kind of a big hole to fill and then the LAM thing that closed out the whole program for a few years.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2015, 06:24:01 by beachhead1985 »

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #33 on: 01 February 2015, 00:14:02 »
If they don't get funded they don't get sculpted and are dropped from the list.  Sooner or later we'll get to the things everyone wants.  I guess a good rule to go with is, if you don't have the money to help fund it then don't vote for it.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2015, 00:15:40 by B-3 »
"Don't start nothin' won't be nothin' " - J

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #34 on: 01 February 2015, 10:43:02 »
That goes back to the concern I raised when this first started.  Of the top six, only one of my choices made it.  Say I don't care about the other five and won't contribute to them.  Of the people who did, are enough willing to fork over the dough?  When mine comes up, are enough willing to help me fund it? 

I'd suggest not doing it the way it's being done.  I'd suggest giving a grand total for the top six, then opening up for donations.  Pool all the money donated, and when the threshold for the first mini is reached, get that one sculpted. Meanwhile, funds can be coming in to get the next one done, and so forth.  This way, everyone's money goes toward the most popular project, instead of those who voted for number six having to wait an unknown amount of time to donate, during which their available funds may dry up or go to other real life concerns. 

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #35 on: 01 February 2015, 11:23:30 »
That goes back to the concern I raised when this first started.  Of the top six, only one of my choices made it.  Say I don't care about the other five and won't contribute to them.  Of the people who did, are enough willing to fork over the dough?  When mine comes up, are enough willing to help me fund it? 

I'd suggest not doing it the way it's being done.  I'd suggest giving a grand total for the top six, then opening up for donations.  Pool all the money donated, and when the threshold for the first mini is reached, get that one sculpted. Meanwhile, funds can be coming in to get the next one done, and so forth.  This way, everyone's money goes toward the most popular project, instead of those who voted for number six having to wait an unknown amount of time to donate, during which their available funds may dry up or go to other real life concerns.
I think forcing people to pay for minis that they don't like is a bad idea. Even worse it wouldn't even guarantee that their mini makes it.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #36 on: 01 February 2015, 11:40:21 »
I think forcing people to pay for minis that they don't like is a bad idea. Even worse it wouldn't even guarantee that their mini makes it.

Exactly.
Before we say it won't work. Let's wait and see how it works. If it doesn't, there can still be changes for the next round. Right now, let's test the concept we have before changing it all over before it can even get started.

And, to put in a question: what's next? :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #37 on: 01 February 2015, 12:16:42 »
This is Step 3:

The top two winners will have their Funding Threads opened first for people to pledge money towards. During the funding stage, we would like one person to become the Lead Contact for the item being funded. They will collect all of the contact information (Name, email, and amount pledged) for the backers and then forward one payment to the Sculptor (Behrle Hubbuch B-3 on forum) preferred payment is Paypal. 

Since this a new and different way of collecting funds, we welcome suggestions that will help streamline the operation.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #38 on: 01 February 2015, 12:27:18 »
Okay, then here is my next question:

How will the Lead Contact be determined?
How is Paypal taking a cut of the money being factored in? If you wire the exact amount to the Lead Contact, there will already money be lost (either the one wiring the money or the Lead Contact will have to pay a few bucks). Then there is another transfer to you, were, once again, money will be lost. Worst case: the Lead Contact will pay in full for both transfers and lose a lot of money.

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #39 on: 01 February 2015, 13:33:20 »
There are ways around the fees on Paypal.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #40 on: 01 February 2015, 17:54:58 »
Well, here is my take on fan funding, do whit it what you will.

I want obscure unpopular stuff. With the latest 2015 release list from IWM I have everything I want from the dark age as far as mechs go already coming down the pipe. There are a few tanks i might be interested in, but that's it. A lot of the 3075 stuff that is not done yet and the final 3085 reseens all interest me, as does the Pollux ADA tank from LOT2...

I'm mainly interested in seeing a full range of mech-scale fighters for the original AT, 2750, any remaining clan fighters and a few other ASF relics like the Typhoon.

After that; some of the XTRO stuff interests me; with the Soarace (sp?) superheavy tank at the top of that list, followed, frankly by the Scorpion LAM and the Liberator. And no; I do not care even a little that they are failed, unplayable designs. Minis are very much about the rule of cool, empowering a neat and fun story for me; the rules serve that, not the other way around.

I have a very limited taste for resculpts; with that list headed by the Centurion (but, frankly, only if it follows the 3025/Mech Commander Asthetic of being tall and menacing) and the Mackie (HB:SL version). I have all the pity in the world for those other minis suffering from BIG GIANT HEAD syndrome; like the Highlander, but frankly I feel efforts are better spent on improving existing minis with things like more Omni parts and just *better* parts. There are more than a few *very* good minis that have one thing glaringly wrong with their legs or arms for instance; usually proportion.

I have exactly no time for resculpting minis ad naseum because they are *not in scale*. DO NOT CARE.

And I have little interest in any of the top six, frankly outside liking to see APC minis so I could grab a pack someday, if it was convenient. Better yet; buying them for cheap, individually from IWM, as I do with the Prowler, Ingis, rotunda, Beagle, ect, every time I place an order.

That said; if Fan finance is open when next I have disposable income, I will be investing it and I do see it as an investment, in this program.

For three reasons;

1. I feel this is good for the game in particular and the hobby in general. Has anyone else ever done this for their fans? I'd be shocked if they had.
2. Supporting other people, when I can and promoting this attitude is my only chance to ever see any of the stuff I am interested in; I am invested emotionally in this program and I want it to keep going, at least until "all the holes are filled in".
3. I am going to be giving IWM my money anyways, what is a short detour into FF credit? I still get the credit to spend on minis anyways, right?

Suffice to say that my tastes are not likely to be widely shared, but I love this hobby and the FF Credit system is a massive incentive. I mean, it's not like if I put cash towards the Highlander or Zeus, I get that $ value in Highlander or Zeus Minis; I can put it to whatever I want on the webstore.

Sure, maybe I am being a little idealistic; essentially backing an honour system on faith, but as I said above; I have my reasons.

A.E. Housman

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 01 February 2015, 18:24:17 »

If we did it this way, I will not give any money to it at all, I do not see any reason to do the re-sculpts on the list as the old one fit the art as far as I see it. Also doing re-sculpts when we have lots that still need first sculpts. I will put money to new sculpts and maybe some of the alternate sculpts.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 01 February 2015, 18:55:24 »
I have a similar stance to resculpts.  While I will give the primitives of unseen mechs a pass since the reseens are supposed to be post SW mechs and lots of people hate them, but beyond that, unless the sculpt is absolutely terrible and hard to put together, I'd rather see new units than resculpts and sculpts of additional variants of mechs (especially mechs that already have more than one variant).  When it comes to variants, I would like more mech variant parts, and the first generation IS omnimechs need pods (granted, a couple of those minis would need to be redone to accept them).

I also probably wouldn't donate if everything were just pooled.  Most of the items on the list are stuff I don't see as being made, and I'd rather save my money in case something that's actually new manages to bubble up to fan funding.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #43 on: 02 February 2015, 02:09:35 »
There are ways around the fees on Paypal.

Could you explain how? I really don't know. :)

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #44 on: 02 February 2015, 10:55:09 »
Could you explain how? I really don't know. :)

If your PayPal account is linked to your bank account (I don't think they care if it's Checking or Savings), then you can click the "I'm sending money to friends or family" link and pay that way with no PayPal fees.  If you live outside the US they'll still get you for Currency Conversion Fees, but I don't know any way around that.  Either way, the Sender should ALWAYS be the one to pay any fees involved.

If we did it this way, I will not give any money to it at all, I do not see any reason to do the re-sculpts on the list as the old one fit the art as far as I see it. Also doing re-sculpts when we have lots that still need first sculpts. I will put money to new sculpts and maybe some of the alternate sculpts.

Same here.  I'll be damned if I'll pay a penny for a Flashman or Highlander Resculpt.   #P   If my money won't go towards what I voted for, I won't give anything at all.  I'm Forced to do that enough as it is, so I'm sure NOT going to do it voluntarily!
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 02 February 2015, 11:25:25 »
Speck,
Can vouchers for the IWM store be split across multiple orders, or do they need to be spent all at once?

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #46 on: 02 February 2015, 13:39:50 »
I have negative desire for APC's, no desire for primitives or a one-off who's art has literally been a week or month or two in the light, and only a fleeting desire for the highlander.  You can guess where my money is going.

cavalier1645

• Lieutenant
  • "Train the Force...OPFOR"
« Reply #47 on: 02 February 2015, 16:11:54 »
I have negative desire for APC's, no desire for primitives or a one-off who's art has literally been a week or month or two in the light, and only a fleeting desire for the highlander.  You can guess where my money is going.

I feel your pain. I got too many 3025 mechs to justified any of Primitives. I have no need for APCs in my forces. I have original Highlander and no offense like the old look. Also I don't care for resculpts, especially on mechs that l like the original look for. I probably won't throw any money to this round of fan funding.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #48 on: 02 February 2015, 21:47:23 »
OK, just to make sure I understand things correctly...

If I pledge 100$, I get 100$ in IWM online store credit?

The top two winners will have their Funding Threads opened first for people to pledge money towards. During the funding stage, we would like one person to become the Lead Contact for the item being funded. They will collect all of the contact information (Name, email, and amount pledged) for the backers and then forward one payment to the Sculptor (Behrle Hubbuch B-3 on forum) preferred payment is Paypal.
How will the Lead Contact be determined?

I'd also like to hear an answer to this question. Additionally, will this person be able to issue me a receipt of some sort guaranteeing me that the money will be put towards the production of the miniature in question? No offense to anyone here, but I am highly uncomfortable at the idea of sending money to someone that I'm only linked to via an easily deleted online account.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #49 on: 03 February 2015, 00:06:34 »
OK, just to make sure I understand things correctly...

If I pledge 100$, I get 100$ in IWM online store credit?

Yes that is correct.

I'd also like to hear an answer to this question. Additionally, will this person be able to issue me a receipt of some sort guaranteeing me that the money will be put towards the production of the miniature in question? No offense to anyone here, but I am highly uncomfortable at the idea of sending money to someone that I'm only linked to via an easily deleted online account.

Lead Contact will be determined by you all trusting each other.  I seriously doubt that anyone on this forum would steal from anyone else.  If anyone is stupid enough to try to steal from others on this forum, I will personally hunt them down and gut them like a fish (metaphorically speaking). You will automatically receive an electronic confirmation of your payment from Paypal.  If this doesn't work for you you can send me a check directly but I'd prefer to spend my time Sculpting not being a Book Keeper.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #50 on: 03 February 2015, 00:21:29 »
When doing the funds should we advise what the funds are for?

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #51 on: 03 February 2015, 02:18:37 »
You will state the amount you are pledging in the Pledge threads.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #52 on: 03 February 2015, 14:41:48 »
This evening I will update the first post with remaining balance.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: 03 February 2015, 14:43:54 »

Lead Contact will be determined by you all trusting each other.  I seriously doubt that anyone on this forum would steal from anyone else.  If anyone is stupid enough to try to steal from others on this forum, I will personally hunt them down and gut them like a fish (metaphorically speaking). You will automatically receive an electronic confirmation of your payment from Paypal.  If this doesn't work for you you can send me a check directly but I'd prefer to spend my time Sculpting not being a Book Keeper.

If no one volunteer to be the lead contact I can step in, but do not want to do so for every funded item.

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #54 on: 03 February 2015, 14:47:28 »
If this is going to cause problems I can handle all of this money stuff.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #55 on: 03 February 2015, 15:28:49 »
I really don't want my post to cause any problems, I could very well be the outlying element here.

I'm noticing that some writers might take an interest in funding these units; I think I'd feel better with sending my money to one of them since they'd be a lot easier to track down if something bad does happen. But in the end, it's an issue on my end more than anything else.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #56 on: 03 February 2015, 16:43:45 »
As B-3 pointed out, you'll have your PayPal email receipt for one thing, and for another, since all the pledges are being posted Publically, if the "Money Handler" decides to do something "Funny", it won't go well for them I'm sure.  Word will be posted here, then on FB, if not FB first.  I also think there are ways of getting money back from PayPal, should something "Bad" happen.  But as B-3 also points out, I don't think anyone getting involved with this Project would do anything like that.

That there are a few that are dishonest on this site?  Undoubtedly.   :-\  That any of them would get involved in this Project and try to get away with something so Publically?  HIGHLY Unlikely.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #57 on: 04 February 2015, 15:53:16 »
No you can't pick the sculptor.  You're stuck with me for the time being. :D

What mechs have you sculpted?
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

jymset

• Infinita Navitas & RecGuide Developer
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant
  • the one and only
« Reply #58 on: 04 February 2015, 16:48:29 »
What mechs have you sculpted?

Behrle Hubbuch has been one of, if not the main BT sculptor for many, many years, now for IWM, before that for Ral Partha.

Look, I don't usually self-arbitrate any threads on here, but there is a rule and a discussion thread right here in this sub-forum. Let's get with the FF sculpts in question, shall we? ;)

Behrle, the one question I have is - can we get you to go really small, tiny and cute with these? And to channel as much of Aliens as possible for the wheeled APC and as steampunk-ey as all heck for the tracked one? O:-)
On CGL writing: Caught between a writer's block and a Herb place. (cray)

Nicest writing compliment ever: I know [redacted] doesn't like continuity porn, but I do, and you sir, write some great continuity porn! (MadCapellan)

3055 rocks! Did so when I was a n00b, does so now.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #59 on: 04 February 2015, 17:00:25 »
My question is directly related to Fan Funded sculpts.

I didn't recognize the name and am asking for a few examples of his work prior to committing any funds.
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"