Author Topic: Dirtbag Militia and how to configure it.  (Read 23860 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Dirtbag Militia and how to configure it.
« Reply #30 on: 20 January 2016, 03:01:27 »
Just to add more food to this. The Historical: Operation Klondike has rules in using all type of vehicles. Would these be used?

Think of it more as a "Philosophy of build", depending on era, the gearing does change.  The basic concept is a force that will give players a decent fight, maybe even win, but with inferior gear-the kind of force that, as a player, if you're using it, you HAVE to be thinking one or two steps ahead of your opponent-but if you do it, you can beat him.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

MOrab46019

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 20 January 2016, 13:03:51 »
Was reading the Dump Tuck and Flat bed truck. They would be great to get thrown in.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #32 on: 21 January 2016, 09:16:15 »
Was reading the Dump Tuck and Flat bed truck. They would be great to get thrown in.
My current MekHQ campaign includes two Flatbed Trucks: one with increased armor (strictly transport) and the other with an SRM-2 rack plus some cargo space.  I don't run them on typical missions, but if my base is attacked, they're part of the defense.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 21 January 2016, 11:57:18 »
most of my dirtbag militia sports LAWS, rifles, and the ocassional motorized platoon with AC5 field guns.   Through in vendettes, and scorpions.   I also used a force in the RPG that had Axels (ICE versions of the rommel, and patton tanks) which drove my players up the wall.
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

jackson123

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 22 January 2016, 16:34:36 »
A poor world would do good to have foot inf with rifles.

Don Lunardi

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple on Purple!
« Reply #35 on: 24 January 2016, 07:07:18 »
most of my dirtbag militia sports LAWS, rifles, and the ocassional motorized platoon with AC5 field guns.   Through in vendettes, and scorpions.   I also used a force in the RPG that had Axels (ICE versions of the rommel, and patton tanks) which drove my players up the wall.

Definitely support the use of smaller caliber standard ACs as field guns.  Artillery, after all, has been an integral part of Infantry support since Ancient times, so why should the 31st Century be any different?  This shouldn't past any even most Periphery worlds to produce and support, and be a powerful force multiplier if used correctly.
"Andurien: It's Hell with Jump Points!" - Failed Marketing Slogan for Tourism Andurien, circa 2398

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
« Reply #36 on: 18 June 2019, 22:33:42 »
Motorized Infantry with AC/20 Field Guns is also useful in ambushes, specially if you hide units in the map (wood hexes or buildings). For other uses, AC/5s is the best option.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #37 on: 19 June 2019, 00:08:51 »
I see your -20 and -5's and raise you a -10.

AC/10 with 10 rounds sound more like an onslaught, verse a 20 that an miss. Whoops, I missed and ruined my shot... meaning you should 'EEk! Kills it! Kills it, NOW!' vs. 'Oh look, we got a sniping AC/5 downrange, lets close in to make its life miserable.'

Say that to my annoying AC/10... and watch as I make you pay for the ground you just crossed.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 19 June 2019, 04:45:47 »
  I was going to say, plenty of VLAWs and reloads!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 19 June 2019, 10:47:54 »
The two new APCs from House Arano offer some new options for militia-

4/6, 7t infantry bay, 2 MG & LRM15 or 2 ML w/ good armor
5/8, 4t infantry bay, 2 MG & SRMs or 2 ML w/ good armor
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 19 June 2019, 12:52:16 »
During the Jihad, I would think a few Primitive/Retro Tech Battlemechs might be included.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 21 June 2019, 14:25:56 »
Once Light ACs become common, what's the opinion on giving them to Dirtbag Militia as Field Guns?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #42 on: 21 June 2019, 14:42:43 »
You know Ultras do not jam for field guns . . .
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #43 on: 21 June 2019, 14:46:34 »
Yeah, but those require Taurian-size squads... oh, wait...  :D

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #44 on: 21 June 2019, 16:16:02 »
Once Light ACs become common, what's the opinion on giving them to Dirtbag Militia as Field Guns?

That´s... 5 LAC/5 per platoon? 6 if you go with a 30 man platoon?

Please, tell me more.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #45 on: 21 June 2019, 16:32:51 »
good old AC/5s are probably easier to get as field guns, however the LAC/5 allows for a single 10-men motorized squad to operate one gun with 4 spare men to cover casualties.

I tried two-squad, 16 men, 1 AC/5 rifle motorized units with good results in open terrain at tabletop. The rifle range combines well with the minimum-range penalties of the AC/5. It is only 12ton and 101 BVs.

For ambushes, using hidden units rules, a 28-men motorized platoon with one AC/20 seems a good option even having only 5 shots but I need to test.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 21 June 2019, 16:36:44 »
Couldn't you fit two AC/20s in a 28-trooper platoon?

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 21 June 2019, 18:29:32 »
That´s... 5 LAC/5 per platoon? 6 if you go with a 30 man platoon?

Please, tell me more.

That's 25 damage per round in discrete 5-point chunks. It gives you most of a RAC/5's damage potential in a package that's much simpler, mechanically speaking. The RAC/5 might be fancier (and you can field 2 of them in a platoon capable of hauling around 5 LAC/5s), but they just don't have that Dirtbag Militia feel to them, you know?
« Last Edit: 21 June 2019, 18:51:54 by Terrace »

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 21 June 2019, 19:31:32 »
don't forget about Heavy Rifles. They can still throw a 6 point round at AC-5 range.  Sure ammo is 4 (?) shots/ton.  For dirtbag militia, I think they'd fit the bill.

Medium Rifles are worse, but anything in numbers will work.  ... brute force is brute force, if your tech sucks, you just need to use more of it.

I wish Light rifles were able to do at least 1 point.  They still work against BA and standard infantry.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 21 June 2019, 22:31:21 »
don't forget about Heavy Rifles. They can still throw a 6 point round at AC-5 range.  Sure ammo is 4 (?) shots/ton.  For dirtbag militia, I think they'd fit the bill.

Medium Rifles are worse, but anything in numbers will work.  ... brute force is brute force, if your tech sucks, you just need to use more of it.

I wish Light rifles were able to do at least 1 point.  They still work against BA and standard infantry.

Nah, Rifle Cannons of any kind are hopelessly obsolete, and would only be encountered on the really poor worlds, purely because Field Guns can only carry a single ton of ammo per gun. Autocannons, on the other hand, are plentiful enough that any planetary militia that has a budget worth a damn could grab a few for Field Guns, and the only Autocannon that has a similar number of shots per ton to the Heavy Rifle is the AC/20, and I'm sure I don't need to go into why that's obviously better if you're gonna be carrying less than 10 rounds.

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 22 June 2019, 00:12:07 »
Couldn't you fit two AC/20s in a 28-trooper platoon?

you can but one single soldier dead and one AC/20 is gone.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 22 June 2019, 06:07:50 »
Good point... yet another reason for Taurian troops...  ^-^

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 22 June 2019, 08:55:26 »
doh! one ton? that would really hurt an infantry gun for HR's.  once you can get 2 or 3 tons, it's not a total waste if that's what you can get.

They could always 'upgrade' to a rifle platoon after the ammo is spent, too.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #53 on: 22 June 2019, 09:33:50 »
That's 25 damage per round in discrete 5-point chunks. It gives you most of a RAC/5's damage potential in a package that's much simpler, mechanically speaking. The RAC/5 might be fancier (and you can field 2 of them in a platoon capable of hauling around 5 LAC/5s), but they just don't have that Dirtbag Militia feel to them, you know?

An RAC/5 with one ton of ammo, don´t forget that. DAKKA-DAKKA-DAKKA-click-click-click...
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 25 June 2019, 16:19:23 »
Bringing up another option for Field Guns, I'd recommend Artillery Cannons (the direct-fire versions) when your opponent is going to field Battle Armor.

Or would that be too high-end for a Dirtbag Militia?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #55 on: 25 June 2019, 16:22:29 »
Not really . . . and the rifles mentioned earlier?  They are useful for BA killing.
Colt Ward

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #56 on: 25 June 2019, 16:49:48 »
Artillery Cannons and Fuel Air Munitions are...  :drool:  >:D

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 25 June 2019, 17:18:44 »
Not really . . . and the rifles mentioned earlier?  They are useful for BA killing.

I'm really not enthusiastic about Rifles. Artillery Cannons, on the other hand? A Sniper Cannon can one-shot most kinds of Inner Sphere Medium BA suits, with the Long Tom Cannon also wiping out most Clan Heavies, along with all but the most heavily-armored Heavy and Assault-weight suits that aren't running with Reactive armor.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #58 on: 26 June 2019, 11:39:04 »
Sure, but higher weight so you need more troops to keep them functioning and rifles are also a lower technology.
Colt Ward

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 26 June 2019, 12:09:19 »

so you need more troops

I think this is an important consideration if you're playing Nation Simulation, you do not have an infinite supply of warm bodies so when deciding whether to go AC/5 or Medium Rifle, you should be figuring the trade-offs - e.g., the country can afford 10 of the former, or 13 of the latter, make your choice.

Register