Author Topic: What Vehicles Do You Take?  (Read 10324 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
What Vehicles Do You Take?
« on: 22 June 2019, 01:22:11 »
So I'm looking to do a Merc campaign soon, set in 3025 and using combined arms, and I'm trying to figure what to take, or rather what not to take, so below is the list of 80 designs that I've curated from the MUL that are available to Mercs in the era, there are many more designs available to Mercs in this era, but things like the generic APC's don't count. Tell me what you think I should take and what you think I should ignore.
Packrat LRPV PKR-T5
Packrat LRPV PKR-T5 (ICE)
Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (MG)
Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (SRM)
Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard)
Warrior Attack Helicopter H-7
Warrior Attack Helicopter H-7A
Warrior Attack Helicopter H-7C
Harasser Missile Platform (Standard)
J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (Flamer)
J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE)
J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (MG)
J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (Standard)
Scorpion Light Tank (LRM)
Scorpion Light Tank (ML)
Scorpion Light Tank (SRM)
Scorpion Light Tank (Standard)
Galleon Light Tank GAL-100
Karnov UR Transport (AC)
Karnov UR Transport (Standard)
Hunter Light Support Tank (Ammo)
Hunter Light Support Tank (LRM10)
Hunter Light Support Tank (LRM15)
Hunter Light Support Tank (Standard)
Pegasus Scout Hover Tank (Missile)
Pegasus Scout Hover Tank (Sensors)
Pegasus Scout Hover Tank (Standard)
Pegasus Scout Hover Tank (Unarmed)
Saladin Assault Hover Tank (Armor)
Saladin Assault Hover Tank (Standard)
Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard)
Scimitar Medium Hover Tank (Missile)
Scimitar Medium Hover Tank (Standard)
Striker Light Tank (SRM)
Striker Light Tank (Standard)
Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (AC10)
Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Laser)
Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (LRM)
Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Scout)
Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (SRM)
Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Standard)
Goblin Medium Tank (Standard)
Condor Heavy Hover Tank (Standard)
LTV-4 Hover Tank (Standard)
Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (SRM2)
Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (SRM4)
Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard)
Vedette Medium Tank (AC2)
Vedette Medium Tank (Standard)
Ballista Self-Propelled Artillery Tank (Standard)
Prowler Multi-Terrain Vehicle (Succession Wars)
AC/2 Carrier (Standard)
Bulldog Medium Tank (AC2)
Bulldog Medium Tank (LRM)
Bulldog Medium Tank (Standard)
Hi-Scout Drone Carrier (Standard)
Laser Carrier (Standard)
LRM Carrier (Standard)
Manticore Heavy Tank (Standard)
Pike Support Vehicle (Standard)
SRM Carrier (Standard)
Thumper Artillery Vehicle (Standard)
Von Luckner Heavy Tank VNL-K65N
Demolisher Heavy Tank (Defensive)
Demolisher Heavy Tank (Standard, Mk. II)
Devastator Heavy Tank (Standard)
Partisan Heavy Tank (AC2)
Partisan Heavy Tank (LRM)
Partisan Heavy Tank (Standard)
Rhino Fire Support Tank (Flamer)
Rhino Fire Support Tank (MG)
Rhino Fire Support Tank (SL)
Rhino Fire Support Tank (Standard)
Schrek AC Carrier (Standard)
Schrek PPC Carrier (Anti-Infantry)
Schrek PPC Carrier (Standard)
Mobile Long Tom Artillery LT-MOB-25
Behemoth Heavy Tank (Armor)
Behemoth Heavy Tank (Flamer)
Behemoth Heavy Tank (Standard)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: What Vehicles Do You Take?
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2019, 06:14:08 »
How big of a unit are we talking?  And I could have sworn the various Goblin variants (at least the LRM and SRM) were available to mercs too...

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2019, 06:44:51 »
How big of a unit are we talking?  And I could have sworn the various Goblin variants (at least the LRM and SRM) were available to mercs too...
Not sure yet, I'm still sort of thinking things through before starting.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2019, 07:35:53 »
Ok, if you go for a combined arms battalion, I recommend something along these lines:

BattleMech Company (unspecified, as this is the vehicle part)

Hover Company:
2 Lances of 3 Saracen/1 Saladin
1 Scout Lance of 4 Pegasus

Hover Mechanized Infantry Company:
1 Lance of 1 Saracen/1 Saladin/2 Maxims with 2 embarked Platoons

Drop Zone Security:
Lance of Thumpers
Lance of Manticores
Lance of Goblins (preferably mixed LRM/SRM variants) with an embarked Platoon

This gives you  a company of infantry, and two companies plus a lance of vehicles.  Only eight vehicles require Heavy cubicles.

If you'd like to throw in an Air Mobile Infantry Company:
1 Lance of 2 Warriors/2 Karnovs with 2 embarked Jump Infantry Platoons

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2019, 08:42:02 »
Note on my biases: My combined arms units try to take advantage of the synergy of indirect fire and infantry spotting. In universe thinking, I want at least some energy weapons in case they get cut off from ex-filtration for a while and to lower ammo costs.

I also try not to have too many very heavy vehicle units to keep the crew requirements down as well as dropship capacity. Furthermore, I tend to want a bit of speed for my vehicles, for the sake of survivability. With the exception of certain tanks, I rather let my mechs do the brawling I also tend to shy away from ACs other than AC/20s to simplify my supply requirements,

If you want to play Combined Arms, how about the Prowler Support Variant? I have it available from 2878 on, and if you want to stick to availability, you should be able to get the Succession era and convert. One LRM 15, two ML, a 4 ton Troop bay (useful for the BA era too) and an SRM2 launcher that you can load infernos for as your anti-infantry weapon. It can be a real cornerstone to the combined arms approach if you don't mind the 4/6 movement curve.

Otherwise:

1. I'm very fond of the Hunter LRM 10 and LRM 15 variants. They are very versatile machines that go 5/8, with good armor, anti-infantry capability, and small crew requirements. Can use woods for cover. Also, very tweak-able with low tech customization (they are over supplied with MG ammo, and you can switch the flamer for an extra ML for example). The LRM10 variant has two MLs so you have two ammo independent weapons that can do up to 10pts damage.

2. Manticore: 4/6 movement curve, ammo independent main gun, good armor, can provide indirect fire, ML and SRM6 for back up. The fact this is hard to optimize more tells you something.

3. Warrior Attack Helicopter H-7C. Great spotting machine, LRM 10 for snipping and even indirect fire. SRM 4 for late game backstabbing and/or inferno shenanigans.

4. Ballista Self-Propelled Artillery Tank. Excellent choice. Supposed to have been widely manufactured. Three tons of ammo, so you can load smoke, cluster, and regular ammo in the 3025 setting. Useful in the next era for Copperheads.

5. Scimitar Medium Hover Tank (Missile): Can provide true shoot and scoot fire support/indirect fire. The LRM15 is very space efficient and it has the speed to be hard to chase down. It should keep its crew alive. On bigger maps, a couple of these and the Warrior/jump infantry spotters could combine to wear down your enemies and be hard to hit back at. Cheap, low crew requirements.

6. J. Edgar Light Hover Tank - Ammo less ML, very fast, FSE allows it to carry survivable levels of armor. Again, I like units YOUR crews would be fond of. I really like the MG version form an in-universe perspective too (it would be a great anti-riot deterrent, something you send with you youngins when they decide to party in a rough part of town), but more experienced players than I state that it is too vulnerable to infantry fire. I play with the Tac ops rules that help avoid mobility crits on Megamek.

7. Karnov UR Transport (Standard) There really aren't too many other options for an infantry VTOL transport than can carry platoons.

8. Saladin Assault Hover Tank (Armor). Self-explanatory really.

9. Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard). Much like the Prowler, this can do it almost all expect go into woods. Very versatile, fast, good armor. Your Infantry would thank you for getting some of these to move them around. Ages well into the next era with available upgrades/light customization.

10. You don't have it listed, but the Goblin MG version has a big infantry bay, loads of MGs and a useful SRM6. Should be an easily justified conversion/available with some finagling. I like the regular Goblin, but it limits you to working with infantry squads unless you play on a real table and the GM lets you divide and reconstitute your infantry units. In universe my infantry commanders get nervous about doing that in a combat situation.

11. LTV-4 Hover Tank (Standard): haven't played it much, but seems like a cheap way to get direct PPC support on the field

12. Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (LRM). Its wheeled, but cheap way to get two LRM15s on the field.

Honorable mentions:
> Condor Heavy Hover Tank (Liao): If you can justify the conversion, it is a cheap, fast and totally ammo independent (4MLs).

> Vedette (Liao): Very cheap, moves 5/8, decent armor, two MLs and an MG. Can take cover in woods.  Very light customization friendly.

> Brutus variants - Fluffed as NOT popular with the main line Liao military/sent down to garrison forces (I'm sure you can find a corrupt garrison commander on a backwater willing to trade one), and various captured by the Davions at various points. So easy to justify getting a few into the hands of your mercs/they should be part of any Liao garrison unit you fight and thus can be salvage. Ammo Independent main guns, FSEs, the PPC variant has great armor, and the regular variant can get there with minor tinkering.

Really, the fact that Liao had these before the Lyrans had their vaunted Rommels/Pattons is surprising.

>Rhinos. A bit heavy/crew intensive for my taste, but great fire support and survivable. Always have those MLs available.

> Thumper Artillery Vehicle (Standard). In game these don't hit as hard as Sniper armed units, but in Universe they would seem as a delightful way to get some Arty. Since they should be way back, being wheeled is less of a problem. Since they carry lots of ammo you can fling more low probability shots. Cheap so you can field a good number. Again, in universe they would also be less over the top than a sniper or a long-tom. In Universe I actually suspect that if you show up on planet with a company of Long-Toms, you are going to attract a lot of unwanted attention.

> Von Luckner - A bit pricey/heavy/crew-intensive. GM has to let you aim the LRM forwards or tinker with it. But otherwise really bad ass, and one of the few tanks with an AC/20 available until Axles/Rommels trickle into the Merc market later on.

>Bulldog/Pike LRM variants - Excellent hard-hitting long-range support than can defend themselves. If your LRMs roll well on the cluster table they hit way harder than their direct fire cousins. Bulldog in particular is way more hard hitting than the standard version with the LL.

>Bulldog (Standard) - Not being FSE, they are a tad inefficient, but they make lots of sense from an in-universes perspective. I would have liked to see a FSE cannon variant.

> Demolisher/Devastator - Having at least ONE of these seems like a good idea. In the next era you can upgrade to the Gauss version which is fantastic...
« Last Edit: 22 June 2019, 09:45:04 by pat_hdx »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2019, 08:46:33 »
The only reason I didn't mention the MG variant Goblin is that it's fluffed as a Kurita variant, so it won't show in the MUL for mercs.

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2019, 09:04:31 »
The only reason I didn't mention the MG variant Goblin is that it's fluffed as a Kurita variant, so it won't show in the MUL for mercs.

Yeah, so much depends on how hard-line you want to be about that.  Personally, between contracts I will travel to highly industrialized planets and rent a Maintenance depot for a couple of hundred thousand C-bills to carry out conversions that are well know/tinkering level.

If I were a GM, for a 3025-3049 era game I'd allow that as it would keep things fun without being greedy, but stomp my foot down if a player wanted to put together a XL powered Lost Tech King Crab...but a lot depends on how much leeway SCC wants.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2019, 09:29:39 »
When I did my planetary militia, I traced supply chains for all the relevant parts for the Goblin variants I wanted to make.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2019, 11:28:14 »
Generally, you can't go wrong with the following:

Manticore-about the best track you can get in 3025, you get both direct, and indirect fire capability on one platform.

Warrior H-7: all except the AC/5 version.  Best obtained via TRO 3026, not the downgrade from TRO 3039.  The original AC/2 version is a harasser supreme and a good spotter unit for LRM batteries using standard indirect fire, or for artillery formations, and it has speed.  load up the SRM rack with inferno for dealing with the other guy's combined arms units.

for moving the grunts, the Maxim for anywhere that isn't wooded.  again, it delivers the grunts, and then supports them with decent amounts of fire.

LRM Carrier (Generic).  at least a lance of these.

Honorable Mention: Goblin.  the 3025 Goblin has lots of fire power, but unless you're using squad rules, it's kinda light on the infantry bay.

couple these with a mechanized platoon of field guns or two, preferably either AC/5, AC/2, or single tube Thumper.  *Using tube arty, you want four of these minimum, the objective is soething called "area denial", four gun tubes means you boost your chances of actually making a zone more dangerous to the enemy, than it is to your own troops.  a single tube of anything is, thanks to Tac Ops "improved'' scatter rules, absolutely worthless, as it stands Tac Ops scatter is so wide you might as well not use them at all, as they WILL be more dangerous to your own units, than they are to the enemy.  Advise you dig up or find a copy of the BMR(r), because those scatter rules didn't make that mistake.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2019, 16:45:41 »

I’m of the belief that, because of their vulnerability to motive hits and critical hits compared to mechs, vehicles should only be used in roles that mechs can’t perform or that do not expose said vehicles to much, if any, direct fire.  So while folks upthread are recommending designs like the Manticore, I’d rather have a Thunderbolt in those kinds of general purpose/direct fire/line unit/brawling roles and keep my vehicles to more limited and less dangerous missions.

(Of course, there’s nothing wrong with a lance of Pattons replacing a lance of Dragons or a lance of Schrecks replacing a lance of Awesomes for flavor or grittiness.  But unless there is a second lance of Pattons or Schrecks with them, you should expect them to die when facing another heavy or assault mech lance.)

So what roles should vehicles perform and what are the best units for each?

Recon and Spotting — In your chosen era, Remote Sensor Dispensers can provide a useful advantage, and vehicles like the Pegasus (Sensor) are about the only way to deploy them back then.  Ideally you do this well in advance of an enemy force’s direction of travel.  Similarly, when hidden units are in play, it’s nice to have very fast, very expendable units like Savannah Masters or Ferrets sweep out large sections of the mapboard quickly.  And for spotting for artillery and indirect LRM fire, it’s nice to have a unit that can both see the whole mapboard and maintain a safe distance without tying up a lot of your firepower/tonnage/BV while spotting.  Again, I recommend the Ferret.

Artillery and Indirect LRM Fire Support — Mechs by and large don’t carry artillery and it’s about as safe a role for combat vehicles as possible.  The vehicle you pick is really driven by the artillery piece you want/can afford/have available so I won’t make a specific recommendation here.  If indirect LRM fire is your thing, I prefer the Partisan (LRM) and Ontos (LRM) over the LRM Carrier.  They all throw 60 LRMs but if they get caught, the Partisan and Ontos will actually take a hit or two before dying, unlike the LRM Carrier.  If properly screened and guarded, the Partisan and Ontos can even substitute for the Longbow, Archer, Catapult, and Crusader in the direct LRM fire role.  Just be careful.  Honorable mention goes to the Hunter for more mobile LRM support.  Rhino is okay, just heavier and more expensive for less misses than the Partisan and Ontos.

High-Speed Flanking/Skirmishing/Raiding/Strikes — Some vehicles, especially hover tanks, can deliver higher speeds with more firepower than possible on mechs, especially in your era.  You just have to limit them to high speed passes; they can’t directly engage enemy units on the line.  I’ve always been partial to the Saladin’s hole-punching combined with critting from the Pegasus (Missile) to up my chances for a crippling kill.  The Harasser is a decent cheap stand-in for the Pegasus.  Honorable mention goes to the Drillson (SRM).

Expendable Ambushes — Since they’re theoretically safe until they fire, vehicles can be a good way to mount ambushes using hidden unit rules without tying up mech forces, especially if you’re okay with losing those vehicles once they fire or are discovered.  I again look for AC/20 and massed SRM combinations like the Saladin/Pegasus above, especially for a quick getaway.  But if the terrain doesn’t allow for a quick getaway or you don’t care about expendability after the first volley, tracked and wheeled vehicle combinations like the Hetzer and Hetzer (SRM) are fine.  Axels Mk I and II, Rommels, Von Luckners and Demolishers/Devastators can substitute for the Hetzer’s AC/20, and SRM Carriers and Goblins (SRM) for the Hetzer (SRM), but all at greater cost in BV/tonnage/C-bills.  Also, check out the Predator Tank Destroyer (Original).

APC/IFV — Mechs can’t carry unarmored infantry, so it’s up to vehicles to do so.  The Bandit, Badger, and Maxim are the gold IFV standards here in your era, but there are obviously cheaper APC options if your budget is really limited or you want that expendable grunt flavor.

Terrain-Specific Ops — Mechs can usually go places vehicles can’t.  But some map boards, especially riverine/littoral types, really benefit hover tanks, naval units, and VTOLs/WIGEs.  The same probably holds true for exotic terrain, like lava or crazy minefields, but you need to reference the specific rules.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: 22 June 2019, 17:55:53 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2019, 17:06:19 »
Not a big fan of the super-slow portable pillboxes.  More often than not they have to left behind when things go sideways.

Have at least one Karnov and some squad deployed conventional infantry for search and rescue of ejected pilots and vehicle crews.

I like using the Maxim with the largest compartment possible as a mobile HQ, and comm/ELINT hub.  If that is getting shot at, you're doing something *really* wrong.

The Pegasus is useful for recon in force, with enough the right type of firepower to eliminate pickets and enough speed to get away from more substantial forces i.e. what it's looking for.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2019, 17:48:14 »
 I tend to forget about the Bandit and the Badger because they are fluffed as not sold by Wolf's Dragoons until after the Clan Invasion, and even then, the larger Merc units were presumably hogging up supply.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2019, 04:43:17 »
Thanks for all the responses guys, a few thoughts:
1) I don't generally like ICE power plants, and their even less attractive in campaign where you need to both pay for fuel and need units to survive the fights, that said those guys have picked do seem to be good choices.
2) I'm more inclined to pick up support vehicles and modify them then make use of them in the fire support role.
3) For infantry movement I'm more likely to pick up some of the generic Heavy APCs or use support vehicles again, but I will keep your suggestions.
4) I was thinking mixed lances of 'Mechs and Vees, preferably built to the CO rules to get those nice bonuses.
5) There are no plans to use artillery.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2019, 04:47:05 »
The heavy APCs turn out pretty nice when you put fusion engines in them.  If you have Wasps and Stingers, they can even be spares...  ^-^

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2019, 04:58:09 »
Probably the second best use I can think of for those fusion engines, the best is using them for a VTOL that has twice the armor, three times the firepower and costs just over half of what a Wasp does, while moving even faster.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 23 June 2019, 06:38:11 »
The heavy APCs turn out pretty nice when you put fusion engines in them.  If you have Wasps and Stingers, they can even be spares...  ^-^
or Hornets, if you don't mind your APCs going just a bit slower. Better yet, get the smaller 10t APCs and drop Urbie engines in them and swap the MGs for Flamers or small or medium lasers
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #16 on: 24 June 2019, 13:38:18 »
So for me it comes down to . . .

What mechs are you fielding?
How much infantry do you plan on?
Will your mercs have any specializations?  (Arctic, Urban, Jungle, Mountain, etc)
What is your transport situation?  (FrEx, the Enyo and Tiger annoy me for being 5t fat)

How set are you on timeline?
     I set this question aside for the whole line we get that- "These are generic vehicles, examples of what you can find being built across the IS."  Which means somewhere there should have been something like the Brutus, Axel, Po and Myrmidon being built to find their way onto the open market . . . I also think old pre-SL tanks like the Merkava VIII (secondline forces, cannibalized for SFE), Marsden II (last reported units in planetary militia & PSCs destroyed), and Tiger T-12 (widespread & limited production into SWs) would still be floating around, especially in the marginalized areas.  The Tiger is the only one likely to still be present if you did not want to give any of the rest a chance.

I  also like the bastard vehicles in Op Klondike, tanks that had weapons stripped off and substituted which fits the scavenger nature of late SW.  Op Klondike had the Von Luckner, Burke, Marksmen and Thor for the heavier chassis- but for that you would have to believe in 'parallel evolution' for the downgrades on the machines, sort of like how the 'Po Heavy Tank' might be called a 'Genghis' tank built on Tamarind with the same specifications but instead of R2-D2's dome being the turret its a pentagon shape.  Oh, and prototype rockets.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 24 June 2019, 13:56:44 »
The Scorpion (ML) and Hetzer (Laser) should be immediately stricken from your list. In all cases.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 24 June 2019, 15:40:28 »
My 2 pennies.

Heavy Asssault
Behemoth's and Demolisher's

Armored Cavalry
Patton's and Rommal's

Mechanized Infantry
Goblin's and Maxim's

Recon/Skimishers
Pegasi and Warrior VTOL's

Fire Support
Sturmfeur's, Hunter's

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #19 on: 24 June 2019, 22:58:40 »
Well:

Lance of 2x Condor ( Flamer ) and 2x LTV-4 Hovertank
Lance of 3x Harasser ( LRM ) and Mini-Peggy Harasser
Lance of 3x Scimitar ( Standard ) and a Scimitar ( LRM )

2x Lances of 3x Bulldog ( Standard ) and Bulldog ( LRM )
Lance of 2x Goblin ( Standard ), one of Goblin ( LRM ) and one of Bulldog ( Standard )

2x Lances of 2x Hetzer ( AC/10 ), one of Hetzer ( Scout ) and one of Hetzer ( SRM )
Lance of 2x Hetzer ( LRM ), one of Hetzer ( Scout ) and one of Hetzer ( SRM )

This is a force to receive action with.

Not every unit is optimal, but functionally for an in depth tactics.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 25 June 2019, 08:34:10 »
Thanks for all the responses guys, a few thoughts:
1) I don't generally like ICE power plants, and their even less attractive in campaign where you need to both pay for fuel and need units to survive the fights, that said those guys have picked do seem to be good choices.
2) I'm more inclined to pick up support vehicles and modify them then make use of them in the fire support role.
3) For infantry movement I'm more likely to pick up some of the generic Heavy APCs or use support vehicles again, but I will keep your suggestions.
4) I was thinking mixed lances of 'Mechs and Vees, preferably built to the CO rules to get those nice bonuses.
5) There are no plans to use artillery.

couple of things to address from your points.

Fuel is a negligible cost on your logistics, while maintenance is a significant cost driver.  Depending on your era, mind.  That said, some ICE should definitely be avoided-specifically any that involve energy weapons. because of maintenance cost and also 'bang for buck'-generally energy weapons have a relatively low value on vehicles that are also equipped with ICE engines, thanks to the mass invested in heat sinks.  (Which require maintenance.)  That said, most of the suggestions (including mine) are for vees in specialist roles for a reason.  if your 'mechs are predominantly light, then heavier vehicles in the tracked and wheeled ranges make more sense, if your 'mechs are predominantly 'trooper' types (Medium or Heavy, by era) then Light Vees and VTOLs make more sense.  The idea is that your conventional forces are there to do what your 'mechs are poorly adapted for-you don't send an Atlas on a scout mission or out as a spotter, you don't use a Locust for static defense or as a facility guard, and so on.  as a merc unit, your mass is a major cost driver-the more (and heavier) 'mech transports you need, the tighter your budget is for other things.

Because transportation costs.  likewise for vehicles and infantry-only moreso, b/c your transports cost you money.

This is one of the reasons that the majority of canon 'merc units focus on single arm (Battlemech) forces-the cost of transport is lower than for an equivalent combined arms force.

aka 'mechs are more profitable assets.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 25 June 2019, 16:48:59 »
The fuel itself is (usually) cheap, but getting it can be hard.  If you have to refuel in the field, that means not only having a fuel truck, but also the security it needs.  Your auxiliary force requirements go rapidly through the roof, especially if your fuel truck is also ICE.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 25 June 2019, 20:45:35 »
The fuel itself is (usually) cheap, but getting it can be hard.  If you have to refuel in the field, that means not only having a fuel truck, but also the security it needs.  Your auxiliary force requirements go rapidly through the roof, especially if your fuel truck is also ICE.

Typically, if you've got lots of transport for spare parts and maintenance equipment, (Necessary for Fusion vees) then you've got the transport slack for fuel as an alternative-provided you keep your vehicle forces as specialists augmenting your 'mech main line.

Logistics always seems super simplified for game needs, but you gotta remember: every round of ammo, every test rig, every repair part? they all have to be moved from manufacturer to distributor to depot to client.  Even the SLDF itself wasn't able to put fusion power to EVERY step of that chain.

Generally, if there's an open checkbook and we go solely based on min/max without worrying about logistics, (Much), your ICE vehicles should be VERY specialist units as a merc, if you even have them at all.  units such as VTOL scout/gunships, for example, which have ridonkulously long ranges they can cover very quickly, or self propelled artillery (as in ARTILLERY,not LRM carriers) that can be emplaced in a firebase to cover a much longer front before needing to move.

in such an open checkbook scenario, fusion tanks predominate for the attack/defense role because that's a link in our chain you don't have to fill, and because they can be fitted with energy weapons at lower mass-cost up to the slack capacity of the fusion engine's cooling capability (Integral 10 heat sinks).  Ths in turn suggests certain designs:

The Myrmidon
The Manticore.

these have fusion engines and an energy main gun, with a projectile based secondary battery for specialized work.  (Infernoes and smoke, for example) their main gun does 10 points of heat, meaning you can basically fire them for free off the main powerplant and save that item limit and mass for things you actually need to use, like armor plating, or useful secondary armament, or specialist munitions stores.  (this gives you area denial options or obfuscation options, or even on-call nearby indirect fire in the case of the Manticore.)

bad engineering choices include vehicles that couple the weaknesses (Logistical) of fuel based systems, with the problems of incorporating energy weapons on an ICE platform.  (the bulldog has a wonderful paper rep, but doesn't deliver effectively, being that you're spending eight tons to hit targets 12 hexes away for less than you can deliver with a non-energy configuration and no other change to the platform.)

basically the ideal 'merc tank' should be fusion powered, with a single large energy weapon backed with ballistic or missile secondary systems that do NOT require parasitic  mass invested in heat sinks.

for VTOL units, it gets dicier-the H-7 family includes a fusion variant or two, with perhaps the best ones being the original (3026 version), followed by the infantry variant of the H8 (which is fusion powered), the latter being armed with basic energy weapons below the 10 point heat cutoff, but giving the ability to move a 5 suit squad or equivalent infantry platoon at 10/15, making it a good platform for moving your crunchies.

most vtols of similar capability are "House exclusive" or ComGuard, with the exception of the much less capable Karnov, which only provides effective lift, without adequate support, making it really only effective in House or Government formations where resources can be lavished on escort birds and support for your support.  (basically a Karnov is a slick, not a gunship.  The gunship variants inevitably end up too slow to be much use except as targets and very-short-lived distractions. This in turn is a problem with the bulk of 30 ton VTOLs-to make them actually useful, you need to invest the price of a good front-line 'mech that is generlly more useful anyway.)

with Merc, your big problem is "Getting to the fight"-that's your main cost driver.  Dropship capacity and the ability to bring your stuff along, because you don't have a massive supply infrastructure and you WILL be traveling from world to world.

thus, by necesssity, your specialist units will be relatively rare as a proportion of your force.  (thus, why 'mech units predominate in the merc market.)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 26 June 2019, 02:06:11 »
Fuel costs 1,000 C-Bills per ton (I think that might be on par with IRL fuel prices), but a tanks capacity is 10% of it's engine tonnage, and you need 4 times that per month, so a Vedette with it's 25 ton engine needs 10 tons, costing 10,000 C-Bills, per month. Parts costs only double by switching to a Fusion plant or you could switch to a FCE, which is also 'Fuel Free' and have no increase in parts cost.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 26 June 2019, 03:38:10 »
Exactly... I did the math in another thread, but the end result was that the smaller the vehicle, the shorter the pay back period for going with fusion.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 26 June 2019, 09:09:18 »
Eh, 4 fuel tanks a month?  Where did that number come from?  Is it like a mechwarrior or crew needing to shoot up a quarter ton of ammo a month to keep their skills?  Because neither of those numbers reflect any sort of operational reality.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 26 June 2019, 11:12:12 »
Eh, 4 fuel tanks a month?  Where did that number come from?  Is it like a mechwarrior or crew needing to shoot up a quarter ton of ammo a month to keep their skills?  Because neither of those numbers reflect any sort of operational reality.

I think he's confusing "Maximum consumption rate" for "average consumption".  ICE vehicles that spend the month in a motorpool  certainly won't be any less capable (and will likely have less wear and tear) than units burning through a tank of fuel every seven days.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 26 June 2019, 16:04:17 »
That's the Campaign Ops peacetime fuel consumption, as far as I know you have to pay that every month to keep the unit operational, even if it is ludicrous at times, like when your on a DS for a month, just one more reason not to use ICE

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 26 June 2019, 17:24:48 »
Exactly the same place, in fact.  Campaign Operations, page 24.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #29 on: 27 June 2019, 01:36:04 »
Having qualified with small arms, crew served and vehicle weapons- and that you practice without firing a single live vehicle weapon for the whole year and then qualify with a live shoot once a year . . . yeah, I ignore that whole thing b/c its a number ginned up out of the blue.  Vehicle/armor units do not spend as much time in the field training as they would in a combat environment- even depending on the type & duration of the exercise, you are not going to burn through full tanks.  Its hard to say how much fuel we actually would use b/c my vehicle ran a generator 24/7 when in the field that drew from the main tank and other vehicles would park to take up perimeter positions though some moved more than others.  I am not trying to suggest that military vehicles are fuel efficient- far from it- but even the launchers which were moving the most out in the field would not go through 2+ tons a fuel during a week.

And no body fires that much ammo on a monthly basis in garrison- go dig up the thread where that got discussed when Campaign Ops came out to see all the vets discussing it.

Now the CLANS might go through that much ammo in normal operations, but all of their exercises are live fire.
Colt Ward