Author Topic: Fighter of the Week, Issue #053 (repost) - Transit  (Read 6403 times)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Fighter of the Week, Issue #053 (repost) - Transit
« on: 05 April 2011, 01:05:20 »
TR-10 Transit - 50t, TRO3025
Originally posted 18 Jan. 2006.

All proposed fan-variants should be posted in the corresponding “FotW Workshop” thread.

‘Broadly similar’ to the once-‘generic’ LTN-G15 Lightning and the chosen strike aircraft of the Capellan Confederation (for reasons known only to them), the TR-10 Transit has formidable close-range punch; that’s about all it does have going for it, but hey, everybody’s got problems, right?  ::)  :P

Wrapped around a 200SFE which gives it much the same performance as the  Corsair, with five tons of gas to match that spaceframe’s combat endurance... one would think that the Transit was a natural for going toe-to-toe with the Davion machine, right?
  EEEHHHHHNNNTTT.  Would you like to try for Double Jeopardy, where the scores can really change?  :P
  The TR-10’s ten-point-five tons of armour are pretty respectable, being just over the 20% mark HM:A likes so much, but its 65/35/33 layout leaves it vulnerable to ML TACs across its wings and aft.  The nose armour’s thickness is probably owing to the weapons layout: each wing houses an ML, while the nose packs twin MLs and the grand-daddy of ’em all, an AC/20 with two tons of ammo, the whole assemblage being backed by thirteen single heat-sinks which allow one to fire all the nose guns at once, or salvo all four MLs if ammo is a concern (or depleted).  Its maximum external load is a relatively light ten tons, but it can maintain a 4/6 thrust curve while hauling a max warload - a rare achievement in IS1 play.

Now, in IS1 play the AC/20 has great intimidation value and unmatched stopping-power... within its Short range.  Unfortunately, a complete lack of any weapon reaching beyond Short range makes the TR-10 little more than a punching-bag for anyone who doesn’t share that short-coming... like the CSR-V12 and its twin large lasers.  (Gee: funny, that.  ::))  Its companion the Transgressor is equipped for such Medium-range jousting, and thus in accordance with received tactical wisdom it should be the main-stay of the dogfight if at all practicable, leaving the Transit to put its AC/20 to more productive use elsewhere: in busting up anything tough enough to merit such punishment and too slow to dodge it.  This rather pointedly excludes most ‘dogfighting’ starfighters but includes most ’Mechs and ’Ships.  A Strike from an AC/20 with four MLs to crit-seek is gonna rattle the cage on almost any ’Mech fielded in the IS1 era, and a squadron’s total bays deserve respect from naval officers: an AC/20 bay of some 12 Capital damage(!), a 6-Capital nose-ML bay, and twin 3-Capital ML bays in the wings.  Hell, if you’re game enough, you can even tie up a Davion force’s Corsairs with your Transgressors and go after his Stukas with TR-10s: the boom-stick makes a nice equaliser against all that armour, and they’re one of the few spaceframes in use that you can out-manoeuvre!  :-X

On the other side of the ball, what you want to do is stiff-arm Transits and pound them to pieces at a range where they can’t bring their weapons into play.  Corsairs and Stingrays will simply revel in this job, and better yet, if it turns into a knife-fight, they have the firepower to threshold the TR-10 from all angles - especially if they can stern-convert on the ‘cunning’ Cappies.  Interceptors like the Sparrowhawk and Cheetah can also play a good role in this - the Transit has no sternward weaponry, meaning that interceptors that get behind them can pick them to pieces more or less at leisure.

Now, the only remaining factory which builds Transits is on Tikonov, which fell into FedCom hands in SW4 and was only reclaimed (through another of Victor’s long list of SNAFUs) during the FCCW, so the only version of the TR-10 which ever flew remains IS1 technology: the TR-11, which makes the perhaps curious choice of offloading all four lasers for four tons of ‘reconnaissance equipment’.  As spy-planes go, this is pretty fair... and as noted, despite having only ten rounds of fire the concentrated punch offered by the Tomodzuru makes for a great intimidator: any pilot sent to intercept a TR-11 has to be thinking, “Do I really want to get close to an AC/20?”  (Sooner you than me, pal.  #P)

[VARIANT PROPOSAL(S) REDACTED] All proposed fan-variants - including my own - belong in the corresponding “FotW Workshop” thread: http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,4086.0.html

Now, I know that there are some people out there who’ve used the Transit before; I certainly heard enough gripes about them before the Mods decided all “-otW” listings belonged down here in “Fan Articles”, lo those many years ago.  :P  So don’t be shy, people: let’s hear what you really think about this spaceframe.  ;D

Be advised: the attached .txt transcript(s) of previous run(s) of this thread may contain numerous reader-proposals for variants.  I’ll try to change those out for ‘sanitised’ versions of those threads when I can, but I can’t promise it’ll be soon - that’s a lot of ground to cover.  ;)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
TR-** Transit – TRO3039 Update
Originally posted 2 Apr. 2008.

The TR-10 Transit is essentially a flying Hunchback and has always been a boogeyman to ’Ship crews and ’Mech-jocks alike, as the new anecdote in the type’s fluff notes well.  Mention of the type’s less-than-illustrious showing over Carver V in 3018 is omitted, replaced by an account of how in 3015, ‘loyalist’ Transits defended Colloway VI against a combined ‘rebel’ Marik/Wolf’s Dragoons assault - highlighted by two squadrons’ worth bouncing a trio of DropShips, outright blowing away an Overlord in a single devastating pass and subsequently so thoroughly crippling the other two Droppers that their embarked troops could play little part in the ground campaign.  Badass in its own right, and a perfect illustration of the best use of TR-10s, the quintessential Dropper choppers.  O0

However, in the first third of the thirty-first century the CCAF just couldn’t catch a break, so when the ‘fiat wave’ started breaking their way in the Clan era they quite naturally surfed it as far as it would take them.  The TR-13A was a good start for their foundtech programme and added valuable sniping capability to their aerospace mix; the DFC-O Defiance OmniFighter and CMT-3T Troika addressed the need for fire-support platforms in thorough (if not emphatic!) fashion; in 3063, they turned their attention to the Transit, which was in danger of being overshadowed and/or outright retired by the new types, and gave it a thorough overhaul to bring their favourite knife-fighter up to modern standards.

Class/Model/Name:  Transit TR-12
Mass:              50 tons

Equipment:                                                              Mass
Power Plant:  250 XL Fusion                                              6.50
Thrust:  Safe Thrust: 7
      Maximum Thrust: 11
Structural Integrity: 7                                                   .00
Total Heat Sinks:    12 Double                                           2.00
Fuel:                                                                    5.00
Cockpit & Attitude Thrusters:                                            3.00
Armor Type:  Standard  (184 total armor pts)                            11.50
                           Standard Scale Armor Pts
   Nose:                                 67
   Left/Right Wings:                  39/39
   Aft:                                  39

Weapons and Equipment      Loc        SRV    MRV    LRV    ERV  Heat    Mass
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 LB 20-X AC               Nose        12     12     --     --    6     14.00
  Ammo (LB 20-X) 20        ---                                           4.00
1 ER Medium Laser          Nose         5      5     --     --    5      1.00
1 ER Medium Laser          Nose         5      5     --     --    5      1.00
1 ER Medium Laser          RW           5      5     --     --    5      1.00
1 ER Medium Laser          LW           5      5     --     --    5      1.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS:                                                    Heat: 26     50.00

Others here have observed that this redesign is almost directly aimed at countering Davion’s DARO-1 wonderbird Dagger, and it’s a hard conclusion to escape (should you want to): finally reaching the ‘fast dogfighter’ speed-brackets above 6/9, the TR-12 matches the FedSuns machine’s armament (Prime) layout with uncanny precision, rather pointedly offseting the new RAC/5 with a slightly less exotic (but equally devastating) LB-20X autocannon.  Perfectly capable of punching its own holes (if your opponent allows you to use slug shells, TW rules notwithstanding) then exploiting for itself with lasers and/or cluster-rounds, rather than being a ‘five-point power-grinder’ like the rotary-five, the new-crust Transit is a machine which needs to be treated with respect.  It has lost none of its fearsome anti-’Ship/’Mech-busting power (and indeed, has extended it into Medium range, where it couldn’t reach before!), and the added agility to deal with interloping fighters (or to get a better angle to backstab some poor beggar in a Templar or Legacy) is also unlikely to be unwelcome.  After so many years’ exposure to FedCom influence and propaganda, I don’t really enjoy saying this about Capellan hardware, but the improved Transit is a hell of a piece of work.  8)
  (But then again - as the ‘Notable Pilot’ anecdote of Miguel the defector demonstrates - I’m not the only one who fell under the sway of honeyed FedRat words, am I?   O:-)  :-*)

[VARIANT PROPOSAL(S) REDACTED] All proposed fan-variants - including my own - belong in the corresponding “FotW Workshop” thread: http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,4139.0.html

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: Fighter of the Week, Issue #053 (repost) - Transit
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2011, 08:52:32 »
Ah, the other medium strike fighter alongside the Lucifer.  I've got a fondness for these guys alongside the Lightnings - they're charmingly offbeat and still reasonably effective.

I made some comments on the TR-12's utility as the dogfighter the Capellans needed in the CCAF overview thread.  As you noted, this thing needs slug ammo to really live up to its potential.  The 5 point clusters it slings simply aren't that dangerous to most medium or heavy fighters.  Of course, Stingrays and Lancers are both vulnerable, but neither one is really the CCAF's main problem at this point.  The lack of slight improvements to the tail and wing armor is annoying, especially against some of the newer lights running around.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2011, 17:48:25 »
My least loved of the Cappy T-birds.  The Transgressor has a better name, a better look, and even has an attack variant that addresses the defenseless rear arc.  Of course, its oversinked and could be better.  So aside from necessity, I've never been a fan.  But the TR-12 is pretty good.  I'm happy to see an XL engine, since it has no real downside and the mass is put to good use.  I'd have preferred a gauss, but appreciate the power of the LB-20, and its highly useful when both ammo types are in play.  The range abstraction combined with the improved speed means its a good combo.  The armour is still only 'meh' and I'm disappointed not to see an advanced type, and the tailgater issue remains, but finally its a bird I wouldn't mind using. 

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2011, 18:10:49 »
I will admit that the big boomstick backed by many smaller lasers has a certain appeal, as a nastier Mechbuster or a flying Hunchback...

Plus, it's one of the relatively few aerospace fighters for which I have a mini right now...

However, I do prefer the looks (and laser placement) of the Lightning more...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2011, 10:17:09 »
I still wonder why the Hell's Black Aces fell for being allowed to purchase equipment like this at a discount as one of the reasons to come work for the CCAF.
May no one ever know less then me......

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2011, 11:07:43 »
Huh?  The design that's specifically mentioned as going to Hell's Black Aces was the HPPC-armed TR-15 Transgressor and before that point, they likely would have had preferred buyer status for things like the TR-13A or TR-16 Transgressors; both of them are quite nice fighters.  Even the TR-12 isn't the kind of crap you're implying it is - it's a decent attack bird and, with slug ammo, a capable dogfighter (and still is, it just doesn't generate terribly impressive thresholds), it just needs some TLC to the armor.  End users might want to consider substituting a different large ballistic weapon (Gauss rifles and either of the other AC/20 types).
« Last Edit: 07 April 2011, 07:29:31 by Moonsword »

Evil Imperial

• Corporal
  • Destroying all who dare to oppose me
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2014, 19:33:53 »
The TR-9 Transit according to Field Report: 2765, switches the armor out for Ferro-Aluminum adding to 2 points to the rear of the fighter, and adds an extra ton of Autocannon\20 ammo allowing five more shots to be taken at a offending target for the Transit pilot.

Another unit that wasn't really hurt by the succession wars, protection wise, other than the main gun having less ammo before going Winchester.

We don't have a MUL date for the TR-9 yet so we can assume the very least it came out in 2765 but probably earlier than said date.
Conjurer (Hellhound) = Wolverine IIC
Proof:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090213010515/http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42093.0/all.html

I mean, you are telling physics to go screw itself with enough power to let you travel faster than light, its going to fight back as best as it can. - VhenRa, on TDS

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2018, 13:42:49 »
*Riiiiiise* 

After the recent forum discussion on the Simurgh, I've read up on reflective armoured fighters a bit again. The Transit got a mention in the Cutlass thread, where the 13G was mentioned as a potential counter, but back then this errata hadn't been posted, so it wasn't followed through.
Now that we have that, I've been wondering:
How would you rate the newest child of this ageing line of fighters in light of the slow but steady proliferation of what could become its favoured prey?
It was apparently designed as a ground-strike platform, but is that even a good idea? It still seems to be thin skinned, and certainly has other shortcomings. But it could actually be a devastating dogfighter now.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.