Author Topic: What scale train for Classic Battletech?  (Read 16567 times)

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
What scale train for Classic Battletech?
« on: 21 October 2013, 15:47:16 »
I am going to be inheriting some N scale trains, trees and some other items from a neighbor and wanted to see if they would go well with CBT minis. I don't have them yet and I'm not familiar with N scale. What say the masses???  :D

I'm thinking painting up a military train. A bit of plastic card, some bits for comms and defense weapons, maybe a busted up mech on a flatbed........
« Last Edit: 21 October 2013, 15:50:09 by RABIDFOX50 »
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
Re: What scale train for Classic Battletech?
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2013, 18:17:38 »
CBT minis (the ones I own) are around Z-scale.  There are N-scale minis.  I think those are the clickis.  Someone help me out please.

JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2013, 18:49:55 »
You are correct, clickytech is in N scale (although not all Mechs are in scale with each other, much like CBT  ::))

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2013, 18:50:27 »
The minis from Ironwind metals are (more or less) 1/285 or 5.6mm.   That's a little smaller than Z scale (1/220, 7mm), but some railroad accessories will still look fine with IWM minis.  In some cases you could even get away with N scale.

The clix minis aimed for N scale (1/160, 10.06mm) with varying results.

http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2013, 20:49:04 »
Funny, I inherited a ton of N-scale stuff a few years back (my first hobby). Z is probably the closest to scale, but I can't imagine there being some massive trains rolling about 1000 years from now. You could do something with any of those long mailbox or passenger cars common to Amtrak or Great Northern sets have. Mod them with segmented tandem sections like a millipede or something
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2013, 10:33:50 »
Funny, I inherited a ton of N-scale stuff a few years back (my first hobby). Z is probably the closest to scale, but I can't imagine there being some massive trains rolling about 1000 years from now. You could do something with any of those long mailbox or passenger cars common to Amtrak or Great Northern sets have. Mod them with segmented tandem sections like a millipede or something

I was going to use some plasti card and mock up armor ala the Soviet Unions' old armored trains, add in some LRM racks, PPCs and such. The flat cars can hold the largest of Mechs and Tanks. I just need to "update" them to look like train cars of the future, lol. I would go to Z scale but they are very expensive and lets face it, the N scale stuff I have was FREE!  O0
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2013, 10:39:54 »
I was going to use some plasti card and mock up armor ala the Soviet Unions' old armored trains, add in some LRM racks, PPCs and such. The flat cars can hold the largest of Mechs and Tanks. I just need to "update" them to look like train cars of the future, lol. I would go to Z scale but they are very expensive and lets face it, the N scale stuff I have was FREE!  O0

If you want to get really ambitious, you could probably use some magnets to make them hover trains.
The preceding post has been Smart Wolf®-Approved for quality!

BattleTech and original art          Free hex map template!

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2013, 18:37:10 »
The minis from Ironwind metals are (more or less) 1/285 or 5.6mm.   That's a little smaller than Z scale (1/220, 7mm), but some railroad accessories will still look fine with IWM minis.  In some cases you could even get away with N scale.

The clix minis aimed for N scale (1/160, 10.06mm) with varying results.

http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html

The IWM minis are much bigger than 1/285.
The average standing mech looks to be about 2" high, and are listed as 10 or 12 meters high. This would translate to 1/195 to about 1/230 depending on what minis (new or old scale) and whether you take 5 meters or 6 meter to be 1 level.

In the end, Z scale would probably be the best (1/220) but N scale (1/160) would work too
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

Saatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2013, 18:52:07 »
That's a neat scenario idea. I hope you do it and post pics!

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2013, 09:06:13 »
Quote from: Lord Cameron
The IWM minis are much bigger than 1/285.
The average standing mech looks to be about 2" high, and are listed as 10 or 12 meters high. This would translate to 1/195 to about 1/230 depending on what minis (new or old scale) and whether you take 5 meters or 6 meter to be 1 level.

In the end, Z scale would probably be the best (1/220) but N scale (1/160) would work too

If this is true, it changes a lot from my perspective. Again. :)

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
  • When in doubt throw more metal at it
« Reply #11 on: 29 November 2013, 03:36:17 »
N scale is cheaper too
One score and seven years ago, our FASAs brought forth upon this world a new hobby: conceived in giant stompiness, and dedicated to the proposition that all miniatures are created equal (except in scale).
-Worktroll

Register