Author Topic: Unseen vs. Reseen/Phoenix vs. Classics  (Read 9865 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Unseen vs. Reseen/Phoenix vs. Classics
« Reply #30 on: 15 May 2018, 01:44:14 »
Why are very few people getting the memo that the original anime art is not going to be reused for Battletech ever?  This has been something from the first lawsuit.

All designs since then that used the anime art are or have been redesigned.  The only issue right now is that until the current suit is resolved, new designs with the exact same weapons locations and names can't be drawn up until HG is told shut it, you can't sue on basis of it looks like something you don't have any claim to.

There was that hopeful moment during the 25th anniversary where CGL got permission from Big West/Studio Nue/Sunrise to use the original art again, and fell afoul of the sealed agreement between HG and FASA.  That was almost certainly the final nail in the coffin of trying to get the Unseen back.

(and standard disclaimer, despite my Beemer I have no knowledge of the company's operations at that level, any motivations or opinions in the paragraph above are my speculation and conjecture)
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2018, 03:05:23 »
I remember that as well, but given what happened, I was already resigned to not seeing that art used again, sadly.

There was that hopeful moment during the 25th anniversary where CGL got permission from Big West/Studio Nue/Sunrise to use the original art again, and fell afoul of the sealed agreement between HG and FASA.  That was almost certainly the final nail in the coffin of trying to get the Unseen back.

(and standard disclaimer, despite my Beemer I have no knowledge of the company's operations at that level, any motivations or opinions in the paragraph above are my speculation and conjecture)

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2018, 08:36:42 »

note I am just saying, if it turns out that the judge rules lack of standing against HG I wonder, if they will revisit it, if they do have permission from Big west as the actual IP owner then its not infringement.
Personally while I don't expect it to happen I would find it very amusing.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #33 on: 15 May 2018, 08:46:55 »
LRMs, free to a good home   8)

"Our missiles will blot out the sun."

"Then I will fight in the sha- OH GOD I FORGOT THEY'RE EXPLOSIVE RUN AWAAAAY!!!"
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 15 May 2018, 10:02:16 »
At this point I do not want the original art to come back, I want the nu classic art to be allowed!
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 15 May 2018, 13:37:59 »
The best way to describe the term Classic, in this sense, is a visual retcon of, at least, the original 3025 era, and specifically Unseen, Mechs. Along with the Locust, several of the Macross and Dougram-based Unseen have been visually redesigned. Those current versions can be found starting here by our new Art Lead, Anthony Scroggins. There are 15 line art images, plus an additional three non-Unseen Mechs, the Commando, Catapult, and Awesome, that have been given the Classic rework. Those Mechs are coming in the Game of Armored Combat Box set latter this year.

EDIT: Clarified the last sentence.
EDIT 2: Forgot about the Commando coming in the GoAC box...
Thank you

And I will be honest that whole issue annoyed me, because I never heard that the reason other then we promised something and never brought it forward.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #36 on: 15 May 2018, 14:00:18 »
I should note that 25 Years of Art and Fiction wasn't going to contain any new images of the Unseen, just reprinting old material. I have an unredacted version of the PDF, and aside from a couple of B&W drawings, most of the Unseen images were from the covers of books. There were ways they could've worked around Harmony Gold's BS, but the challenge came too late in the production process.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 15 May 2018, 14:55:57 »
I should note that 25 Years of Art and Fiction wasn't going to contain any new images of the Unseen, just reprinting old material. I have an unredacted version of the PDF, and aside from a couple of B&W drawings, most of the Unseen images were from the covers of books. There were ways they could've worked around Harmony Gold's BS, but the challenge came too late in the production process.

Yeah, that one was a real heart breaker. It would have been nice if the historical covers, etc., could have made the book.

Ah well. It happens.

Trystan Thorne

• Private
« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2018, 15:37:21 »
At this point I do not want the original art to come back, I want the nu classic art to be allowed!

Fully agree!  :thumbsup:

I still do like the original designs, but the new designs are simply better IMHO.
All I want is for the new designs to be allowed and the company which is not to be named can keep the old designs.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #39 on: 15 May 2018, 16:55:35 »
There was that hopeful moment during the 25th anniversary where CGL got permission from Big West/Studio Nue/Sunrise to use the original art again, and fell afoul of the sealed agreement between HG and FASA.
Wait seriously?  That's how that played out?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #40 on: 15 May 2018, 17:03:40 »

IINM, it wasn't that that killed the non-Macross Unseen's chances of ever being seen again. From what I remember of forum scuttlebutt (for what it's worth) from the time was that everyone realized that while the ART was kosher to use, they might be opening a legal can of worms by making minis and other merch if Sunrise et. al decided to get persnikketty. And since Sunrise is The House That Gundam Built, and by that time had become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bandai, that would have made the HG v. FASA suit look almost like an even fight by comparison...
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 17:06:55 by Pat Payne »

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #41 on: 15 May 2018, 18:20:49 »
Wait seriously?  That's how that played out?

That's my rusty memory of the explanation at the time, yeah.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #42 on: 15 May 2018, 18:25:45 »
That's my rusty memory of the explanation at the time, yeah.

Wasn't there word of some grumbling from Topps as well?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #43 on: 15 May 2018, 18:29:36 »
Not that I recall, anyway.  Sarna has a transcript of Randall's statement on the alteration to the print edition, and it only mentions the sealed agreement

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/index.php?title=BattleTech:_25_Years_of_Art_%26_Fiction&_Fiction=

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #44 on: 15 May 2018, 18:45:48 »
Shame we couldn't get a 30 Years with the Classics designs.  Maybe for 35.

Is it wrong to just want armies of Thunderbolts and Crusaders?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #45 on: 15 May 2018, 18:49:09 »
No. Both date back to early Battletech/Battledroids history as two of the most well-rounded general purpose heavy BattleMechs in the game. Nostalgia for them is well-placed.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 15 May 2018, 19:35:04 »

Guess we know who the Terran Hegemony fan is.  :thumbsup:

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #47 on: 15 May 2018, 19:51:20 »
The Thud has always been my favourite heavy fighting line mech. I always loved to Battletech art drawings of it.

The miniature was a bit of a disappointment to me (yes I know it is follows the Dougram art but that I why I find it disappointing).

However the new Classic Thud is just sexy and I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.

"Our missiles will blot out the sun."

"Then I will fight in the sha- OH GOD I FORGOT THEY'RE EXPLOSIVE RUN AWAAAAY!!!"

A man after my own heart :thumbsup: I need to find time to assemble and paint my collection of Longbow minis, my collection of unseen Archers, my Yeoman and my Viking.

I believe that HBS Battletech game with its stability damage and LRM indirect fire ("reach out and touch somebody" knock then on their backside and cause turn their pilot into jelly) is doing its part in winning over a bunch of converts to LRM-boats.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 15 May 2018, 21:23:12 »
I am also a big fan of that new Thunderbolt artwork.  I think it manages to keep the feel of the original without being near exactly the same (some other new artwork I could easily see somebody say it really is not that different from the original and sadly I happen to REALLY like some of those).

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 15 May 2018, 21:39:41 »

Perhaps, but I'm on board with the plan of never dealing with that can of worms again.

No.

No it is not.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #50 on: 16 May 2018, 06:55:15 »
I love the new ostscout, wasp and t-bolt, but I still have eyes for the Wolverine II over his brother. The Phoenix Wolverines looks like a diet Wolverine.

And am I the only one who liked the Phoenix Goliath?
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 16 May 2018, 08:33:05 »
I'd rather use the Primitive mechs over the PP releases, for what's available.  The Primitive Rifleman is a beauty.

The PP Goliath is passable, but needs a turret.  Also not too fond of the head.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2018, 08:34:57 by Luciora »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #52 on: 16 May 2018, 10:52:16 »
Perhaps, but I'm on board with the plan of never dealing with that can of worms again.

He said Classics, not Unseen . . . so once all this HG flap is over with, that new art that makes up the Classics going into a book . . . could be interesting.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 16 May 2018, 11:05:19 »
Now I might be mistaken, but didn't TRO: Succession Wars have the Dougram-inspired Classic art included? If it did, I would hope that when HG trolling goes to PGI's favor and everything else gets cleaned up, we could see a TRO: SW Revised that includes the Macross-inspired art, plus anything else that was done as well.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #54 on: 16 May 2018, 11:06:48 »
Lol, it will either be 'Revised' or 'Upgraded' like they did with 3050, 3055, etc
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

massey

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 16 May 2018, 11:35:50 »
The new art is generally too blocky and bulky for me.  The mechs look fat.

My favorite version of the Thunderbolt (I guess it's a Thunderbolt, that's what I've always assumed anyway) comes from the art on page 74 of the Tactical Handbook.  It could probably be used completely unchanged.  It's not exactly the Dougram art, but it still looks very Thunderbolt-y.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #56 on: 16 May 2018, 12:11:51 »
I should note that 25 Years of Art and Fiction wasn't going to contain any new images of the Unseen, just reprinting old material. I have an unredacted version of the PDF, and aside from a couple of B&W drawings, most of the Unseen images were from the covers of books.
There was one new Unseen image in 25 Years for sure.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 16 May 2018, 12:42:48 »
Now I might be mistaken, but didn't TRO: Succession Wars have the Dougram-inspired Classic art included? If it did, I would hope that when HG trolling goes to PGI's favor and everything else gets cleaned up, we could see a TRO: SW Revised that includes the Macross-inspired art, plus anything else that was done as well.

Yes, the Classic versions of Unseens that weren't related to Macross were included.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 17 May 2018, 08:13:30 »

That's an interesting notion.

The forces that produced TRO Succession Wars also produced kind of a multi-generational mishmash of art styles. I have no idea if it's economically viable, but an upgraded/revised version with some replacement art would, at the very least, be interesting.

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 17 May 2018, 10:48:08 »
IINM, it wasn't that that killed the non-Macross Unseen's chances of ever being seen again. From what I remember of forum scuttlebutt (for what it's worth) from the time was that everyone realized that while the ART was kosher to use, they might be opening a legal can of worms by making minis and other merch if Sunrise et. al decided to get persnikketty. And since Sunrise is The House That Gundam Built, and by that time had become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bandai, that would have made the HG v. FASA suit look almost like an even fight by comparison...

The state of the Dougram unseen appears to be just fine; what we've gotten for those is acceptably referential, yet better due to the differences.  YMMV, but that's how I see it anyway.