Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems  (Read 12730 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Reply #60 on: 08 September 2023, 17:33:03 »
Apparently Chris Chelios' number is not retired.  However that will be remedied soon.  I remember him most for his time on the Blackhawks however he was only there 9 out of his 26 seasons.  Which I guess is yet more proof that I'm getting old and my memory is horrible for thinking he was there for a longer period of time.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blackhawks-retire-former-captain-chris-033500358.html

I still remember when he was in Montreal, and the announcers there pronounced his name as "Kee-lee-ohs".

Which to be honest looks like it could be perfectly right, as well.  I myself have a hard ch in my own surname. 
« Last Edit: 08 September 2023, 17:34:34 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #61 on: 08 September 2023, 20:10:30 »
I still remember when he was in Montreal
His last season in Montreal would have been the season or two before I started paying attention to hockey.  I missed out on watching that whole portion of his career.  Not that I likely wouldn't have seen much here in the states other than highlights.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #62 on: 08 September 2023, 20:16:20 »
We catch Canadian broadcasts easily here in southeast Michigan, so I saw lots of Leafs, Oilers and Habs games as much as I saw Red Wings games in the 1980's.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #63 on: 14 September 2023, 09:47:27 »
I still remember when he was in Montreal, and the announcers there pronounced his name as "Kee-lee-ohs".

Which to be honest looks like it could be perfectly right, as well.  I myself have a hard ch in my own surname.

There's a history of that with Habs broadcasts. Somewhere I still have the recording of the playoff game in '86 in which the reporter asked the question on everyone's mind, "who is Patrick Roo-ah?"
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #64 on: 14 September 2023, 14:39:01 »
There's a history of that with Habs broadcasts. Somewhere I still have the recording of the playoff game in '86 in which the reporter asked the question on everyone's mind, "who is Patrick Roo-ah?"

That's actually hilarious that the French Canadians themselves didn't pronounce his name the way he likes it.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #65 on: 17 September 2023, 15:29:53 »
Babcock resigned before he could be fired.

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Mike+Babcock+Resigns&qpvt=mike+babcock+resigns&FORM=EWRE

All I have to say is that was quick!   

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #66 on: 18 September 2023, 09:27:09 »
To his credit, that means he got out of Columbus with a .500 record, which is a hell of a lot better than any other Blue Jackets coach has done.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #67 on: 18 September 2023, 12:44:22 »

Actually, even that is not correct.  The family name was originally "Tselios" (Τσέλιος) but his father Gus opted to change the English spelling after immigrating to the U.S. To come off as "kee-lee-ohs" it would have to be something like "κύλιος". (Chris' cousin Nikos still uses the more accurate Romanization).  The English play-by-play guys that I remember always used the "tch" sound.

The French announcers did better with Italian names, e.g., for Dino Ciccarelli ("chee-kah-ray-lee" as opposed to "sissa-relli").

That's actually hilarious that the French Canadians themselves didn't pronounce his name the way he likes it.

That's just a side effect of trying to split a monosyllabic name into two syllables for emphatic effect  :grin:

cheers,

Gabe

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #68 on: 18 September 2023, 14:43:11 »
I was actually justifying the Habs' broadcast team's choice of pronunciation.

But on the flip side, the antics of Montreal's announcers are amusing for sure! 
« Last Edit: 20 September 2023, 15:16:14 by rebs »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #69 on: 19 September 2023, 15:32:15 »
See attachment.

Now imagine the 300+ comments on that thread!  The funny part is that many agreed.  The sticking points were how washed up would he be when it finally happens, and how many years would Toronto pay him after he retired.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2023, 15:35:54 by rebs »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Last Edit: 20 September 2023, 21:13:58 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 20 September 2023, 22:29:46 »
2026 is when CMD contract is up.  John Tavares' 11 mil will be off the books by then (I can't imagine they re-sign him for the same cash).  Seems like it could be possible sooner rather than later.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #72 on: 20 September 2023, 22:37:00 »
2026 is when CMD contract is up.  John Tavares' 11 mil will be off the books by then (I can't imagine they re-sign him for the same cash).  Seems like it could be possible sooner rather than later.

You're a details guy, and I'm glad for this opinion. 

Getting McDavid during meaningful years would very possibly also mean that other quality players would sign for a discount for the chance at a serious run at the Cup.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 20 September 2023, 23:36:50 »
I called it!  (To be fair, a lot of people called it.)

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/bruins-name-brad-marchand-27th-captain-in-franchise-history-following-patrice-bergergons-retirement/

At first I wanted to say that's just wrong in so many ways, not even a Lego Master Builder could fix it.
However, I do think he has matured...a bit...over the past couple of seasons.  And at age 35, how long can we expect him to keep playing?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #74 on: 20 September 2023, 23:58:57 »
not even a Lego Master Builder could fix it.
(Snip and snip)

That's a good one!  This can be applied to a lot of BS on the internet, as well.

But I do agree - speaking as a Detroit fan, no one can stand this guy!  How long has he antagonized people?  I know for a fact I have asked Hellbie on these NHL threads here on bg.battletech about what his general problem/malfunction is.  Hellbie was just jovial and glad Marchand was on his team IIRC.  And I don't blame him.

I can't blame him.  My Red Wings have supported the likes of Sean Avery, the boo hiss Todd Bertuzzi, and let's go on before that to a certain infamous Bob Probert. While these players are all different and in different eras, I still have to acknowledge that a player like Marchand deserves the nod after so many years of faithful service.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #75 on: 21 September 2023, 10:43:29 »
Huh, the Blackhawks are going without a captain this year.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 21 September 2023, 21:10:25 »
But I do agree - speaking as a Detroit fan, no one can stand this guy!  How long has he antagonized people?  I know for a fact I have asked Hellbie on these NHL threads here on bg.battletech about what his general problem/malfunction is.  Hellbie was just jovial and glad Marchand was on his team IIRC.  And I don't blame him.

I can't blame him.  My Red Wings have supported the likes of Sean Avery, the boo hiss Todd Bertuzzi, and let's go on before that to a certain infamous Bob Probert. While these players are all different and in different eras, I still have to acknowledge that a player like Marchand deserves the nod after so many years of faithful service.

I'm absolutely positive this entered into the thinking of the Bruins' FO when they selected Marchand as captain.  Yeah he may be a jerk, but he's OUR jerk, and we don't give a flying <BLEEP> about what any other markets in the league think!

cheers,

Gabe

[/quote]

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #77 on: 22 September 2023, 11:28:47 »
Marchand's tenacity, determination and skill are all the Bruins are going to need this year, its not going to be an easy year moving on from Bergy and he's the perfect one to pick them up. He's got the fire and experience they need great choice
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #78 on: 22 September 2023, 13:48:15 »
Trevor Zegras may be on the move shortly... sounds like the Ducks' latest offer sheet is garbage, and he's scrubbed them from his social media as of today. I doubt he gets moved before the season, but he's instantly the star of the trade deadline if nothing changes.

+Crow T. Robot+

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #79 on: 24 September 2023, 02:15:38 »
re: Marchand as a C....

there are a number of different roles that a captain fills, including some like:

- the locker room (keeping it in line, keeping it focused, keeping the effort/work level high)
- the community (representing the team during the local hospital charity drive, being the fall guy for local media)
- the relationship with the refs on the ice
- {other roles}

I'm sure he'll fill some of these just fine and others maybe not so much.  He's no Bergeron or Chara, that much is certain (and in the sense that's a negative, it's not really a dig at *him* so much as a reflection of where the Bruins are at).

It will be interesting to see how the regular season goes for Boston (but will anyone really care this year?! like, what does their regular season even mean?) and how any playoff action plays out.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #80 on: 25 September 2023, 16:25:36 »
Marchand is defiant and will get in your face win or lose, so that may be just what they need in a leader this season.

But now for an attachment below.  I only have two Red Wings jerseys.  One is an Yzerman that I've had since last millennium.

The other is #16 Vladdy Konstantinov. 
« Last Edit: 25 September 2023, 16:28:25 by rebs »

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #81 on: 26 September 2023, 07:30:38 »
So as many of you know, I'm a Denver native, and was a late-teen during the best days of the Avs/Wings rivalry, and have a distinct memory of shouting at Konstantinov at one point during the Lemieux fracas that I 'hope you get hit by a truck!', in an edgy teen kind of way. Obviously that's not QUITE what happened, but there was a strong feeling of guilt there for a while afterwards regardless.

And even as diehard anti-Detroit as I was (and still kind of am- my 'Red Wings Suck' puck is on a shelf next to me with my 'in progress' miniature painting), I won't lie, watching him get wheeled around the ice with the Cup in his wheelchair the  next year is one of my absolute favorite hockey moments.

It's hard to remember sometimes, with all that happened to him and all the years since, just how good that guy really was. It was a different era, so it's hard to compare him to modern defensemen like Makar or Fox, but in his day he was a top-ten defenseman, which made him so readily-hateable for an Avs fan. Dude was GOOD- tough, great at causing turnovers (I distinctly remember him absolutely turning Valeri Kamensky inside-out during one playoff game), just everything you could want on your blue line. That he wasn't quite Norris caliber back then speaks less of him and more of how next-level guys like Bourque and Leetch really were in those days.

Truly one of the greats of his era, and if he'd finished his career out he'd probably have gone to the Hall like so many of his other Red Wing cohorts.

+Crow T. Robot+

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: 11 October 2023, 23:30:36 »
...and so it begins!

Bedard gets his NHL first!!
Matthews gets his first three.
Boeser gets his first ....four (game still in progress).

Fun!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #83 on: 12 October 2023, 14:27:33 »
As first games go I was very happy with the Bruins

Not the first goal, or the 1st Power Play unit but the team looked good, dominated possession, both goalies played well leading to a tight game, newbies did okay

Blackhawks could be a playoff team
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 13 October 2023, 09:45:34 »
As first games go, I was NOT happy with the Habs. They lost a game they should've won and also lost an opportunity to humiliate the Leafs in Toronto.  And they let Auston Matthews score three (even if 2 of them came at 6-on-5).

Positives:
--Off-season acquisition Alex Newhook scored twice.
--Juraj Slafkovsky played his best game yet in a Habs uniform, even if he didn't score.
--Arber Xhekaj took down Ryan Reaves (after what should've been a boarding call on the latter).  Reaves apparently declined a rematch.

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #85 on: 21 October 2023, 04:33:26 »
Well, I was skeptical about D-Cat's scoring impact for the Wings after he was acquired this off-season.  I'm glad to see he went above and beyond most people's expectations, including my own.

He's currently at 8 points in 4 games, including 5 goals.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 23 October 2023, 15:33:07 »
Overall Detroit's off season's moves have thus far paid off.  It's only 6 games into the season but Detroit has looked pretty damn good thus far.  Eventually they are going to stumble.  However it might not seem as far fetched now as it did at the end of last season that Wings could be a WC team by the end of the season as long as injuries don't get in the way.

Meanwhile in Washington....

On second thought let's not talk about them.  Or at least hold off until there is something to talk about out productively.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #87 on: 23 October 2023, 15:45:45 »
Ovi still has a good shot at the career goals scored record.  But that's little consolation to fans.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 23 October 2023, 22:56:36 »
Check out David Savard's Black Knight-like (Python-esque, not BT!) defensive effort as he loses a skate blade during a Habs penalty kill vs. the Sabres:
(3rd video from top):

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/gallagher-canadiens-veterans-lead-the-way-in-win-over-sabres/

(Habs won 3-1 thanks largely to Jake Allen)

cheers,

Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #89 on: 24 October 2023, 09:16:23 »
SIXTEEN GAMES today. It boggles the mind. Fantasy owners, lament your benching choices.

+Crow T. Robot+

Register