Author Topic: New mechs in Metal  (Read 4074 times)

Louie N

• Lieutenant
New mechs in Metal
« on: 19 August 2018, 15:36:07 »
Hello All,

Will we see the mech designs found in the new box sets in metal from Ironwind in time?

Thanks

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: New mechs in Metal
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2018, 12:40:22 »
IWM will announce anything as soon as they are able.   You won't have to specifically ask for it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2018, 02:45:44 »
This is a transcript from the QA session at Gencon:

Audience member: "Are there any prospects for getting either the remaining newseens or different types of these newseens to Iron Wind in the not-so-distant future?"

Brent Evans: "The answer is no.  We are intentionally not giving the prime versions/variants of those mechs to Iron Wind yet, Iron Wind in the future will be doing variants of those, but part of the gentlemens agreement we have with them is that they want to let... to help us establish the line of plastic boxed sets within the marketplace."

Audience member: "Considering the performance today[of the boxed sets at gencon], I think mission accomplished."

Brent Evans: "I think we're good but the truth is, as we've often seen, selling out too fast can be a real double edged sword, and a flash in the pan is not what's going to justify the longevity of a line of boxed set miniatures product.  What we need is, you know, eight to eighteen months worth of solid sales, tracking the ability to show that we can keep it in store shelves, uh all the other things that are normal to running a long-term gaming production company.  So, uh, are we going to do it?  Eventually, yes, they'll absolutely get it, and they certainly have it within their license to do so, as a gentlemens agreement they are not going to do that but they are going to do the variants on those, as we move forward."

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2018, 08:16:43 »

Brent Evans: "The answer is no.  We are intentionally not giving the prime versions/variants of those mechs to Iron Wind yet, Iron Wind in the future will be doing variants of those, but part of the gentlemens agreement we have with them is that they want to let... to help us establish the line of plastic boxed sets within the marketplace."

Audience member: "Considering the performance today[of the boxed sets at gencon], I think mission accomplished."

Brent Evans: "I think we're good but the truth is, as we've often seen, selling out too fast can be a real double edged sword, and a flash in the pan is not what's going to justify the longevity of a line of boxed set miniatures product.  What we need is, you know, eight to eighteen months worth of solid sales, tracking the ability to show that we can keep it in store shelves, uh all the other things that are normal to running a long-term gaming production company.  So, uh, are we going to do it?  Eventually, yes, they'll absolutely get it, and they certainly have it within their license to do so, as a gentlemens agreement they are not going to do that but they are going to do the variants on those, as we move forward."
This is what concerns me the most, if we take this at 18 months, we are looking at over 3 years before we see any movement on this issue, which means I will be 55 before I get my classics back!
« Last Edit: 21 August 2018, 11:11:34 by wolfspider »
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2018, 14:49:01 »
I understand why CGL wants the first stab at the designs but I don’t agree with it. I have a hard time believing IWM releasing one per quarter would in any way spoil the sale of plastics, which tbtb have stated will only appear in products like box sets and not sold a la cart

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2018, 14:59:59 »
I understand why CGL wants the first stab at the designs but I don’t agree with it. I have a hard time believing IWM releasing one per quarter would in any way spoil the sale of plastics, which tbtb have stated will only appear in products like box sets and not sold a la cart

To the person looking in from outside, and the rumors that the remaining classics will not be added to the Clan Invasion TRO, it appears that some of TPTB are wanting to move forward away from this issue and onto 3250. I hope this is not the case but I have my reservations. 
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2018, 15:01:13 »

The Lance Packs have given reason to be skittish.  Plastic BattleTech miniatures are not an automatic win.  There's no license to print free money.  After the Box Sets are proven, and the money safe, then CGL can be more open.  Until then, everything is still at risk.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2018, 15:11:02 »

To the person looking in from outside, and the rumors that the remaining classics will not be added to the Clan Invasion TRO, it appears that some of TPTB are wanting to move forward away from this issue and onto 3250. I hope this is not the case but I have my reservations.

Name one 3250 product that CGL has ever mentioned.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2018, 17:07:54 »
Exhibit A, this is from the TRO Succession Wars. TPTB maybe wanting to wipe the slate clean and start over, which as a small business owner I can understand it. As a fan not so much.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2018, 17:23:32 »
3250 has been out there for years

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2018, 18:09:36 »
I have no problem with CGL getting their money.  I'm hoping they turn a profit from their products.  I'm skittish about buying the new boxed set since I don't want to be a part of the previous problem.  A lot(maybe even most) of the previous boxed sets were bought up by people who weren't new to the game but rather looking for a way to bulk up their collection, thus leaving shelves empty for new players.

Now these two new player boxes represent not only a way to bulk up your forces, but also the only way to obtain the new hot sculpts that BT has needed badly.  In my mind, that means more incentive for longtime players to purchase stacks of them and again leave the shelves empty for new players.  I would have no problems joining in on a buying frenzy if it wasn't an introductory product.

The previous lance packs represent a good cautionary tale, but they also represented a poor value in comparison to the boxed set of that time.  The boxed set provided 26 'Mechs for ~$60, while the lance pack provided 4 for ~$20.  Many of the folks I talked to weren't interested in the lance packs because they were the same old sculpts from forever ago, and the thought was that the boxed set was always right around the corner to provide a staggeringly better deal(before considering the maps and dice and whatnot).

A similar lance pack today would have the benefit of 1) not being a worse value than the beginner boxed set for the established player, and 2) would present an alternative pathway to obtaining the new designs.

The ship has sailed, though.  We have two introductory products.  For myself, the best course of action is to wait for those designs to become available through a different avenue.  We're BT players, we're used to waiting.

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2018, 19:06:53 »

I can’t speak for others but I won’t buy the new mechs in box sets. I hate having to buy additional mechs when I only want one and I’m not keen on buying variants only in metal. If plastic sets and variant metal minis are my only options then neither CGL nor IWM will be getting any of my money.  An a la cart option would be very much appreciated.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2018, 19:14:28 »
Exhibit A, this is from the TRO Succession Wars. TPTB maybe wanting to wipe the slate clean and start over, which as a small business owner I can understand it. As a fan not so much.

That’s not a product.  Company’s don’t make non-products a focus. They need to make money. 3250 is a concept, a plan. It’s not a focus.
Focus is box sets, map sets, ilClan next year, TR Clan Invasion. novels.  Those are what they are working on.   There is no focus on 3250. there’s no product to work on.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2018, 19:18:32 »
A lot(maybe even most) of the previous boxed sets were bought up by people who weren't new to the game but rather looking for a way to bulk up their collection, thus leaving shelves empty for new players.

Now these two new player boxes represent not only a way to bulk up your forces, but also the only way to obtain the new hot sculpts that BT has needed badly.  In my mind, that means more incentive for longtime players to purchase stacks of them and again leave the shelves empty for new players.  I would have no problems joining in on a buying frenzy if it wasn't an introductory product.

To save the TPTB's throats (after them having said it ad nauseam): Please buy as many as you can afford without guilt. They WANT grognards like us to bulk-buy. The whole point is to make sure these stay in print indefinitely, and they can't stay in print if we don't. 

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 26 August 2018, 17:50:59 »
I find worrying about what demographic is buying a product and if they are buying too much a bit silly from a customer point of view.  If there isn't enough stock for new players to buy that is a supply-side issue that Catalyst needs to fix.  Not having enough stock doesn't seem like the worst problem to be in either and customers don't have the information to help the company by strategic buying. 

I'm sure it is a hard enough issue to solve for Catalyst who has far more information than us and not buying product doesn't seem like a good way to help.

I can also understand not having IWM produce the 'mechs that are coming out in plastic, I don't think I would have waited for the plastic ones if the ones I wanted were out in metal.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2018, 17:53:18 by tapdancingbeavers »

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2018, 18:47:31 »
I can also understand not having IWM produce the 'mechs that are coming out in plastic, I don't think I would have waited for the plastic ones if the ones I wanted were out in metal.
Honestly, I'm not fussed about getting the starter box mechs in metal.  I'd rather see IWM doing the other unseen that are not in the starter box so we get access to them. 

And by them I mean my Marauder!!!
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 27 September 2018, 14:02:46 »
Honestly, I'm not fussed about getting the starter box mechs in metal.  I'd rather see IWM doing the other unseen that are not in the starter box so we get access to them. 

And by them I mean my Marauder!!!

Sure, but, as I understand it, those are just as much on hold while CGL works out its own manufacturing process.

I am very sympathetic to CGL wanting to make their plastics and box sets a success, and I hope they are. If they sell at a good clip, it will make it much easier to keep the things in print over time.

That said, the miniatures enthusiast fans all kind of lose with this one, since metal releases, and expansion in the available list of NuSeen are now tied to two slow release cycles chained end to end.

Hopefully this is all balanced by a big win with other fans, especially newer players.