Author Topic: Bloodright adventure doubts  (Read 1774 times)

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
Bloodright adventure doubts
« on: 29 October 2020, 15:10:03 »
Hi,

So I was reading the Bloodright adventure, and thought it was interesting, probably fun to play as a one-shot, but the more I read the more doubts I had about possible inconsistencies in the text.
As it is set in 3053, with the Truce in effect, makes no sense that two clan units are travelling in the open under the Truce line, and being received in IS planets without much hostility. Aren't they technically breaking the Truce? Shouldn't the forces in the DC and FC at least capture them, or send them packing back to the Occupation Zones, instead of leaving them free to roam? They even have freedom of movement in a DC planet, which I'm sure shouldn't be too happy to welcome clanners visiting their bars.
Also, although not so problematic, I like everytime the adventure describes an opfor as a "light lance", then you read the roster, and all the mechs are at least heavies. Light from the point of view of the clans? ;D

Don't get me wrong, still a fun adventure to read, but somehow the execution seems faulty with this major detail.

Frabby

• Major
Re: Bloodright adventure doubts
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2020, 16:00:58 »
The Truce stipulated that the Clans wouldn't advance "below" Tukayyid, as in not capture worlds; but I certainly got the impression that both IS and Clan merchants crossed the truce line in either direction relatively freely.
Remember that ComStar was bloodied and in something of a disarray after Tukayyid and their failed Operation Scorpion; the IS powers were similarly exhausted from the fighting; and around the tail end of the adventure (3054) the Red Corsair stirs up a wholly different level of trouble. In the overall chaos I can see the mission being overlooked, if you squint just right...
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2020, 16:26:54 »
I remember something about not even being possible to raid planets below the line, but could easily be wrong.
Reading Natural Selection now, and they make all the situation a really big deal, like having to get permission from Victor to move a Wolf unit to hunt the pirates. Yes, it is to conduct military operations in sovereign territory, but then the units in the Bloodright adventure are moving openly into IS territory, and that seems odd. Not to mention that the Nova Cat unit is always before the PCs and causing mayhem. When they PCs arrive at Northwind the Cats are already under custody. Why let a clan dropship land? Why not force them to leave the system? Level of hostility seems unnaturally low.
I mean, it can be easily modified to only represent planets over the truce line, but even then seems strange that IS states should be not worried about a clan unit strolling into their territory without any question or interception.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2020, 18:29:58 »
In Assumption of Risk, ComStar—as the victor of Tukayyid—had to give permission for a Jade Falcon Elemental Star to journey to Solaris in honor of Kai Allard-Liao's title defense match.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2020, 13:26:09 »
In Assumption of Risk, ComStar—as the victor of Tukayyid—had to give permission for a Jade Falcon Elemental Star to journey to Solaris in honor of Kai Allard-Liao's title defense match.

And IIRC they were being *really* difficult about it.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2020, 15:25:46 »
Thanks for the answers. I think it is a not so well thought point of the adventure. Will have to modify it if I ever use it for a one-shot.