Author Topic: Master Unit List: Production Era vs Availability Era  (Read 960 times)

Ironboot

• Sergeant
Master Unit List: Production Era vs Availability Era
« on: 30 March 2020, 17:33:45 »
I am trying to figure out the Master Unit List.  The issue had to deal with Production Era, Availability Era. 

Jihad Era 3067-3081

Case in point - Battlemech, Wasp.  If I do a unit search for Wasp, Production Era + Availability Era both only Jihad I come up with this result.

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=Wasp&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasRole=&HasBFAbility=&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Role=None+Selected&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&Eras=14&AvailableEras=14

Only Wasp 3A, Wasp WSP-7MAF, Wasp 8T and Wasp LAM.

Another player pointed out it should only be Availability Era and the buildtables should be more like this...

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=Wasp&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasRole=&HasBFAbility=&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Role=None+Selected&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&AvailableEras=14

Which includes everything from Wasp 1-A to Wasp LAM.

The question is.. how likely would a WSP-1A or WSP-1K still be available to any Inner Sphere faction during the Jihad era?  What percentage should a WSP-1A be in a buildtable?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: Master Unit List: Production Era vs Availability Era
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2020, 19:18:23 »
We actually don't have anything to do with the MUL.  I'd suggest you ask in the Ask the Lead Developers section.

My answer is always going to be your game your decision.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2020, 20:11:41 »
here's how it works:

TLDR: Production Era - when that unit FIRST appears in universe. Availability Era - does a unit EXIST during that time

PRODUCTION ERA are the units that DEBUT during that period.

take, for example, the jihad

http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasRole=&HasBFAbility=&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Role=None+Selected&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&Eras=14

all units have the mushroom cloud icon (the Jihad era icon) and debut in universe between 3068-3085. the Celerity is the lone exception - its prototype debuted in 3052, but appeared during the jihad (comstar likes secrets)

the AVAILABILITY ERA is what EXISTS during that period. some things are still floating around that haven't been produced for centuries - like the Whitworth. the factory was destroyed in the 2800s and all upgrades are performed on whitworths produced before that time. but a few are still floating around in the 3070s.

production era will have intro dates in the range of the years the era runs for the most part - there are always squirrly weirdos like the celerity floating around out there but the vast majority of the time this holds true

with your example of jihad wasps - all four appear for the first time during the years 3068-3085.

now looks at strictly availability for the wasp during the jihad

http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=wasp&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasRole=&HasBFAbility=&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Role=None+Selected&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&AvailableEras=14

you get a much wider variety - including the primitive Wasp invented during the dawn of battlemechs and wasp 1A that was in the original battledroids box in 1984! 

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Ironboot

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2020, 22:03:47 »
We actually don't have anything to do with the MUL.  I'd suggest you ask in the Ask the Lead Developers section.

My answer is always going to be your game your decision.

I was asking here because I am running a Mekwars Server. :)  I did use the Master Unit List for the buildtables but with Production and Availability.  I have to say, taking a step back and looking at all the factions... FWL, DC, FS, WoB, Crusader Clans, Warden Clans.. each faction does have its own feel to it.  I had two players asking for older units, so I wanted to see how other people are using the Master Unit List.