Author Topic: The Kapteyn Universe - The Other Option (Books 1, 2 & 3)  (Read 77048 times)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Re: The Kapteyn Universe - Book 1: Plans within Plans
« Reply #60 on: 11 May 2018, 05:06:52 »
I love the F-MIDS, nice application of the tech.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
  • I am Thomas Hogarth's Love Child
    • The Kapteyn Universe
Re: The Kapteyn Universe - Book 1: Plans within Plans
« Reply #61 on: 12 May 2018, 16:55:00 »
BOOK 2

A GATHERING OF SPITE

Chapter 23

Elmau, Bavaria, Terra,
15 September, 3023

Candace Liao looked around the conference table once everyone had seated themselves.  To her right, was Senior Colonel Pavel Ridzik, well turned out in his CCAF dress uniform, but nevertheless, looking like he felt a little overawed.  Candace had had to pull the Colonel into line twice already during the conferences regarding the coming war.  Since the attempted assassination on the Liao family through poisoning, Candace had been required to assume a greater role in the leadership of her nation, hence her presence here.  Her father was still a wreck, the doctors believing that his recovery would take two years and never be a complete one.  Romano had recovered quickly, although the paranoia the attack generated had sent her further down the spiral of distrust and manic reaction to perceived threats.  The little bitch bore watching before, now I have to double my caution.  Her assault on Chesterton may have to be made a little harder than she anticipated, ensuring her glorious end as a martyr for the Capellan state.  Candace still felt poorly of a morning, but each day since the attempt three months ago, she had felt a slight improvement. The worst part was that there was as yet no evidence as to who had perpetrated the attempt.

To Candace’s left sat Precentor Sian, her plain features masking her keen intellect and ability to see to the heart of issues quickly and clearly.  Candace valued her insight to a point, but knew better than to trust the ComStar Precentor too far.

Across from the Liao group was the Marik contingent, consisting of Captain-General Janos Marik, appearing to be more life-like than she had been led to believe he could.  Her advisors had put this recovery down to his recent wins over Parliament and the return and assistance of his son Thomas.  Thomas, quiet and reserved, sat next to his father, leafing through the documents that sat before him, as they did before each person at the table.  Candace knew Thomas would bear watching, as his assistance to his father so far had born the League new strength, strength that would one day be turned against the Capellan people.  Completing the group opposite Candace was the ever present, yet ever demure, Precentor Atreus, a man almost as forgettable as Precentor Sian, but also just as effective.

The group to Candace’s right consisted of the party from the Draconis Combine.  The young Coordinator, Theodore, had an air of confidence and power, one that despite its natural strength, paled next to that of his military advisor, Yorainaga Kurita.  The man had an immense aura, it could almost be felt.  Without even trying he dominated the table, but in a way that offered no threat or malice, it was just simply there.  Candace suspected that Pavel’s ill humour was due to his own feeling of inadequacy compared to the presence of his equal from the Combine.  Precentor Waterly had placed her aide as Precentor Dieron, Precentor Nishara Singh, a dark-skinned waif of a woman of extraordinary beauty, with the Combine delegation.

The final group was that of ComStar, consisting of Precentor Myndo Waterly of Dieron herself, as self-righteous and self-assured as her father had said she would be.  Precentor Dieron was flanked by her military advisors, the powerful looking Precentor Martial Angus Hamilton, a man who had so far not only impressed the three leaders present, but just as importantly their military advisors as well.  The other man was simply introduced as Precentor Grahame Neville.  He seemed to be subordinate to Hamilton, but was treated with great respect by the Precentor Martial.  He was responsible for the supply and transport of ComStar and allied supplies and troops and a man that Candace knew she could not afford to offend for any reason.  Hence why she had been forced to stomp on Senior Colonel Ridzik, as the Colonel had developed an intense dislike of Precentor Neville.  For a leader of men Colonel Ridzik you can be the pettiest of individuals.  Well Pavel, you will be tolerated until such time as I am Chancellor.  At that point you can retire, in whatever manner you choose, or force me to choose for you.

Precentor Martial Hamilton took the lead, as it seemed that Precentor Waterly was happy to accede to his military experience.  “I hope, this afternoon, to go over what we have discussed to date before we move into more detailed planning over the next few days.  Should anyone have additional comments or ideas, now will be the best time to air them so that they can be incorporated into the planning sessions to come.”

The Precentor Martial brought up a holographic image that showed the Inner Sphere, with Terra at its centre and the Lyran Commonwealth/Draconis Combine border running to the maps top.  “I will start with the Combine’s planned operations if that is acceptable Coordinator, Kanrei?”

Theodore nodded whilst answering “Of course Precentor Martial.” Yorinaga made an almost imperceptible bow to indicate his own assent.

“Thankyou.  Operation URIZEN, the assault on the Lyran border was, as you rightly pointed out Kanrei, to have been originally launched too close to Skye to effectively draw off Lyran reinforcements from the Terran region.  Although the Moesby Thumb is a tempting target, the area immediately below Tamar that Coordinator Kurita has identified should suit our purposes admirably.”

Theodore spoke up. “Yes, I agree.  We have the further option of threatening or later assaulting Tamar should we require it.  The Lyrans cannot afford to ignore this strike.”

Angus focused the map on the region below Tamar. “Exactly Coordinator.  By striking from Volders, Wheel and Quarrel at Maestu, Cusset, Biota, Montmarault, La Grave and Orkney, the DCMS will be able to isolate a string of seven border worlds from Kobe to Carse for later reduction.  The threat to Tamar comes through the potential to close off its access to the Commonwealth through Laurent and Severn. We anticipate that reserves in the Tamar district, as well as part of the strategic reserve at Tharkad, would be mobilised to assist.”

“They have to react.  If they don’t, they will allow the DCMS to overrun the heart of the Tamar region.” Said Colonel Ridzik in a voice full of self-assurance.

Angus accepted the Colonel’s point as he continued. “A point we all agree on.  This brings us to Operation SHIRO.  The DCMS plans a similar strike, based upon the original salient cutting concept that Duchess Liao produced last year, to cut off Galtor.  As the Kanrei pointed out, as long as the strike is weighted from Galedon, the AFFS should shift to protect their spinward flank, especially if Wolf’s Dragoons are there in reserve.  We cannot prevent the reinforcement of Robinson, but the plan to move the Dragoons rapidly towards Terra using a command circuit for the main invasion, should catch the AFFS by surprise.”  The map jumped to Galtor at the Precentor’s command as he continued.  “Using forces from Galtor and the Ryuken regiments, the DCMS will strike from Tripoli, Thestria and later from Misery to take Eldiere IV, Glenmora, Bergman’s Planet, Harrow’s Sun, Bennet III, Crossing, Lima, Royal and Breed.  This will isolate the remaining six planets of the Galtor region for reduction as required.”

Moving the map again, the Precentor brought up the Capellan/FedSuns border in the St. Ives region.  Candace got skewered by the penetrating look that the Precentor Martial had when directly engaging a person.  It would have been unbalancing had Candace not been trained to deal with such situations. “Duchess Liao, your Operation WUHAN and Operation CANTON are designed to cut off the Kittery and Ziliang salients and were the catalyst for the other plans.  I must again commend you on the simplicity and directness of your planning, it has allowed us to expand your concept to assist in other areas.”  Candace nodded her thanks.  It is always nice to have one’s ass kissed in public.

The Precentor Martial continued. “Initial strikes from St. Ives, Warlock, Teng, Mitchell and Jacson will land on Shoreham, Royalston, Happajarvi, Corella, Hadnall, Safe Port, Sirdar, Glentworth, Cotocallo and Courcellete to begin the isolation of the salients.  Follow up strikes from St. Ives, Maladar, Texlos, and Xieng Khouang will complete the isolation and allow you to reduce the remaining eleven worlds at your leisure.  Combined with the strike on Galtor, the AFFS will be forced to commit the bulk of its reserves if it wishes to have any real chance of stopping the assaults.”

“We can only hope the Fox sees the situation that way.  He may well see our ruse and sacrifice the salients to protect his link with Terra.” Yorinaga stared at the projection before him as he spoke.

“We must therefore assure that our plan survives contact with him.” Said Thomas Marik.

“Yes, Captain-General, that we must.  Which brings me to the final initial strike: The Free Worlds League’s Operation THRESHER.  I must thank you Captain-General for allowing Thomas and I to modify the initial plan.  Should the strikes through the border near Hyde have gone in, the reinforcements for the LCAF would have been too close to Terra for the second phase of attacks to have avoided them.  The new plan is before you now.”  The map zoomed to the part of the Free Worlds/Lyran border where it met the Periphery.  “The strike will now be launched from four worlds and include forces to hold the first set of targets whilst the assault forces move onto their second objectives.  The jump off worlds and their targets are; Galisteo-Pecander-Abramkovo, Griffith-Timbiqui-Zdice, Epsilon-Penobscot-Kamenz and Promised Land-Cavanaugh II-Bolan via the now abandoned Tylarzka system.  This strike, with the one aimed at Tamar, will pull in many of the reserves that are close enough to influence any assault on the Skye region near Terra.”

Before continuing, the Precentor Martial looked around the table and saw that all the leaders were enthralled.  “As these strikes begin in January 3025 and develop through to June, they will incorporate reserves that each of your enemies knows of from your own central reserve areas.  The allocation of these units should convince them of the assaults validity.  Once the F-C reserves are committed, the main assaults will commence in July of 3025 using the remaining forces the Combine can muster and the forces stripped from the Free Worlds/Capellan border.  During this first phase, ComStar will begin the movement of our troops to the League/Capellan border and place transports in various systems to expedite ours and your own troop’s redeployment.  This second phase will be the main focus of our discussions over the coming days. Does anyone have any questions?”

Janos Marik spoke up before the others had a chance. “We have been receiving supplies from ComStar at the rate specified, but have begun to note that the Lyrans and Davions have determined that our depots are full as we build new regiments.  Your hand may soon be revealed.  How will we counter this if the F-C Alliance strikes out against us early?”

Precentor Hamilton turned to Precentor Neville “Grahame, if you would be so kind.”

“Yes, Precentor Martial,” answered the naval Precentor, “My Pleasure.  To ally your fears, Captain-General, each ship that leaves Terra does not go out full as it heads into your realms.  The ships take a roundabout course and offload their cargos in unsettled systems to ships that then appear to move from the interior of your realms fully loaded.  To all intents and purposes, the Steiners and Davions will come to the conclusion that you have increased your production bases.  Any other conclusion, especially one involving our supply of your efforts, will seem too farfetched.”

Janos let a small smile creep onto his features. “A clever ruse.  As long as the F-C powers do not begin a crash armaments industry expansion to compensate, we should be safe with your ploy for the short term.”

Candace eyes flickered across the group. That’s all very well Marik, but what happens after the war?  ComStar won’t support us once we get the upper hand.  They will turn around and pull out the rugs from under all our feet.  Father was too glib in his assessment of this plan, it all fits too well.  I believe Yorinaga sees it and therefore so does Theodore.  Pavel refuses to see a major problem and Thomas is too ComStar to question it.  Janos’s reliance on his son has clouded his judgement.  I have to plan more than just this war; I need to plan its aftermath.  Romano must be the first obstacle removed. Perhaps a nice asylum on some half-forgotten world where the native predators are a little too free with the inmate’s mortal coil. Then there is father.  What to do with you and this disgusting little Colonel you have saddled me with?

The meeting dragged on as the conversation became more involved in specific details, all the while with twelve minds all working on many different levels.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

Unofficial LD for 2 seconds - It was a glorious moment!

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: The Kapteyn Universe - The Other Option (Books 1 and 2)
« Reply #62 on: 13 May 2018, 08:15:56 »
Pieces are falling into place, Candace is already thinking ahead to what comes afterwards!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 15 May 2018, 07:31:14 »
Pieces are falling into place, Candace is already thinking ahead to what comes afterwards!
You mean when COMSTAR turns around and screws them
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #64 on: 15 May 2018, 11:27:03 »
You mean when COMSTAR turns around and screws them

Of all the participants in the Kapteyn Concord, she´s probably the one best prepared to deal with the sudden but inevitable betrayal of an ally - because that´s what her life was like so far.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #65 on: 16 May 2018, 02:21:16 »
Chapter 24

Elmau, Bavaria, Terra,
16 September, 3023

Candace Liao stood on the long wide balcony looking across the ancient resort’s old stone buildings and its well-manicured gardens to the snow-capped mountains in the distance.  The evening was cool due to a breeze was blowing down from the mountains and providing a chill that she found quite refreshing.  She had not changed from the semi-military garb she had worn to the first of the discussions of the main assaults on the Terran corridor.  The pale green jacket and pants seemed almost grey in the slowly dying light.  If this plan is as effective as we think it will be, the Confederation will be a power to be reckoned with again.  Davion will be weakened to a point where he will be no immediate threat and the Free Worlds will be occupied with preventing the Lyrans from taking back their industrial heartlands.  For the first time in centuries my people will be free of their old entanglements.  We can at last chart our own destiny.

Candace’s thoughts were interrupted as Thomas Marik, as reserved as ever, entered onto the balcony from a door to her right.  Candace turned to see the junior Marik stop, and look up startled, as if brought out of deep thought. “Duchess Liao, I did not realise you were here. My apologies for disturbing you.  If you will excuse me?”

Always so unfailingly polite Thomas, you intrigue me, so different from the other Mariks and therefore so very much more dangerous.  Candace spoke up before Thomas could walk away. “Please, there is no need for you to leave.  If you would be so kind, I have some questions for you that I hoped you may be able to answer for me.”

Thomas made a small bow and visibly relaxed, crossed to the stone veranda wall, and leaned comfortably against it.  His dress was part Marik and part ComStar styled robe, an interesting combination that gave him the look of a learned lecturer, an image a man of his known intelligence and pursuits would doubtless appreciate.  “What is it you wish me to bring to light Duchess Liao?”

“Firstly, your title.  Should I address you as Precentor or as something closer to your home in the League?”

“Thomas will be fine for now.” He answered.

“Very well Thomas, I suppose my father may well wake screaming from his sleep, but I think for now Candace should suffice as well.”

“Very well Candace.  I am sure my title and dignity are not all that concerns you?”

Candace frowned a little before continuing, shifting her weight as she did so and leaning against the wall in a similar fashion to Thomas. “Your insight into the views of ComStar will allow you to plan well beyond this war and to anticipate when and where ComStar will withdraw its support from our forces.  I would be interested to discuss your own views on this, and perhaps share mine.”

Thomas seemed a little startled by the directness of the question but recovered quickly.  He thought quietly to himself for a moment before asking his own question. “What makes you believe ComStar will withdraw its support?”

Candace face lit up in a wry smile. “ComStar have ever striven for balance, you of all people should know and understand that.  Their actions with us are designed to re-establish that balance and prevent the Steiner-Davion Alliance from dominating the Inner Sphere.  Once that has been achieved they will withdraw their support from us.  Should we be too successful, they will do what they can to slow us.  I am sure they have contingencies that will pit our two nations against each other should the need arise.”

Thomas looked Candace straight in the eye. “I would hope my former colleagues would have more respect for their allies than that, but you are right about the need for balance.  No state has the capacity to rule the entire Inner Sphere.  Should anyone try, chaos would eventuate and bring about the fall of civilisation as Blake foresaw.”

Still so much part of the order that trained you Thomas, your words betray you. “They also have access to internal breaks within our realms with which to slow us and cause confusion.” Continued Candace.

“Ah yes,” replied Thomas “the famed inability of the Marik family to go more than a few years without someone trying to kill off their relatives.  I believe that the family Liao is possibly going to follow our ignoble lead in the current generation.”

Candace coloured visibly before regaining control of her sudden ager at Thomas for his barb.  “There are issues, I will grant you that, but nothing which cannot be handled discreetly and cleanly, much like your handling of Parliament on your fathers’ behalf.” That ought to get you off this dammed topic.

Thomas smiled as he recalled the coup of the year before. “Yes, I am sure you can be just as effective in peaceful outcomes for complex and dangerous situations.  Perhaps you could do me a service? Maybe I could send the bulk of my relatives to Sian as ambassadors and you could entertain them as you wish?”

Candace appreciated his acknowledgement of her dislike of the topic and his attempt to turn to humour, so she followed suit. “But my dear Thomas, if you were to do that I would be forced to send Romano as a representative of the Liao throne.”

Thomas laughed out loud. “That would be an intriguing trade.  The Tiger Romano set among the pigeons of our Parliament, the chaos that would ensue would be a delight to watch.”

Both Candace and Thomas began laughing as they pictured the scene, the tension of moments before dispelled.  As they recovered, both saw the Precentor Martial walk out into the gardens below in a simple and rather worn jumpsuit with several mercenary unit patches on each sleeve.  Just as suddenly, Yorinaga Kurita emerged from the opposite end of the garden, dressed in a dark kimono and sandals.  He walked a direct path towards the Precentor Martial, as if expecting him to have been there.  They met in mid-garden next to a large pond that dominated the centre of the landscaped area.  Candace looked at Thomas. “I wonder what they are discussing.  It would be interesting to know?”

Thomas looked across the gardens. “I am sure they may well ask themselves the same question should they see us here.”

“Perhaps they believe we are trying to sort out the issues between our two nations in one afternoon?” Candace smiled at the thought. “I know for a fact that once you ascend to the office of the Captain-General, the Capellan Confederation will face a dangerous and skilled opponent.”

Thomas bowed to Candace. “Thank you Duchess, I believe the same of the Confederation should you rise to your fathers’ position.”

Candace returned the bow. “Perhaps then your best option would be to toss me from this verandah?” Candace looked over the edge.
   Thomas raised an eyebrow. “If only it were so simple.  With your known skills as a warrior, I am sure you would drag me with you, ending both our paths to leadership.  It would raise another issue – the end of our two realms.”

Candace was surprised by Thomas’s answer, “The end of our realms?”
   “Of course.  With me gone my family will fall to infighting and renewed civil war.  With your loss, Romano comes to power and the Confederation becomes an easy target.”

As Candace’s gaze crossed again to the garden where Yorinaga and Hamilton had begun walking together she said, “Well then Thomas, we must agree to work together for now so at least one of our two nations can survive to the future.” And no matter what your charm or skills Thomas, it will be the Capellan Confederation that survives.

****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****

Precentor Martial Hamilton wandered aimlessly through the old gardens of Elmau, lost in thoughts of earlier times when he had been little more than a simple mercenary, noted for his skills as both a Company and then Battalion commander, as well as his abilities as a staff officer.  The natural aptitude he possessed in that role had been the reason for his successful career and the reason he had been head hunted by some of the best mercenary regiments in the Inner Sphere.

As he wandered along through the gardens, surrounded by their many spring scents, he came upon the pool in the garden’s centre and as he looked across the lake he saw Yorinaga Kurita, the Gunji-no-Kanrei of the DCMS, walking serenely towards him in a plain dark kimono.  Hamilton stopped and watched the old soldier approach, fascinated by the way Yorinaga seemed to flow as he walked; his fluid grace and ease of movement betraying the abilities the man possessed as a Mechwarrior.

Yorinaga stopped before Hamilton and bowed, an action which Angus mimicked.  As both men straightened, Yorinaga spoke.  “Precentor Martial Hamilton, I thought I might find you enjoying the peace of this wonderful place.  May I offer my company for a short time?”

“Certainly Kanrei, I would be most honoured by your company.”

Both men began walking slowly around the pond’s edge, their step in time, arms behind their backs.  Yorinaga glanced across at Angus’s shoulder patches on his right arm. “Your time with the Eridani Light Horse was most impressive, Precentor.  Your work in preparing the Horsemen for their raids on the Combine after 3010 was effective.  Your skill at identifying weak areas in our defence was a key in the Eridani’s success.  I would be interested to know where you learnt this skill.  Was it with the 21st Centauri or before that from your time in the Dismal Disinherited?”

What don’t you know about me Yorinaga?  I would guess that there is not much you don’t know with the ISF feeding you information. Hamilton paused before beginning, thinking back to his time as a young man learning from his grandfather, surprisingly comfortable with discussing his past with the Kuritan.   “I learnt the basics and saw them applied by my Grandfather, Major Eric Hamilton.  When my parents died in 2982, I was shipped of from my home in southern Australia to my grandfather out on the Lyran/Combine border.  He had always been a mercenary and had every intention of raising me as a commander of men, no matter what I thought.  Luckily for him, or more for me, I lost myself in the intricacies of the training and my lessons.  I think, if it was not for that, I would have become lost following the death of my parents.”

Yorinaga smiled, “I remember well my own education, a wise old man taught me much of what I now know.  Without his steady hand and kind, firm direction, I would never have been the man I have become.”  Both men walked quietly for a moment lost in their pasts before Yorinaga continued. “So, it was your grandfather who we must thank for your insights?”

“He set me on the path yes.  My internship was with a unit called the Archers, formed with many Terran ex-pats, and after three years I was given command of a lance in the second of our two Battalions, under my Grandfather on the planet Tamar.  We were stationed there with a regiment of the Dismal Disinherited and found that the two units worked well together both in offence and defence.  In 2986, the 8th Sword of Light and 11th Rasalhague Regulars paid us a visit, having jumped in to the L1 point and hit the planet quickly.  Unfortunately, with most of the regular troops on a training exercise on the planets far side, it was up the Archers to hold the attack until the Disinherited could mobilise.  We held for two days before relieved, but there was little over a company of Mechs by the time the Disinherited and the Lyrans arrived.  My grandfather was crippled and my first combat experience was a nightmare.”

“Such baptisms are not to be wished on any young commander, it must have been a dark time for you?” Yorinaga had genuine concern in his voice as Angus remembered the despair he had felt at seeing his lance mates killed one by one over those terrible forty-eight hours.

“No, they are not.  And yes, it was a dark time.  The Archers were finished and my Grandfather was returning to Terra; my own plan was to follow him.  He would not hear of it however, as the Disinherited were deeply grateful to the Archers for our actions on their behalf and offered all our survivors positions with them.  He had to order me to remain, but in the end his decision was again the right one.  I served with the Disinherited, first as a Mechwarrior, and later gained Lance Command in their 2nd Regiment in 2988.  I was given my company command in 2994 and served under Colonel Chu as one of his staff officers. Colonel Chu completed what my Grandfather had started and turned me into a solid staff officer and battlefield commander.  When we all signed on with Davion after the turn of the century, Chu was killed in a raid on Ares and we got saddled with Colonel Laura Stuman.  She was a first-class bitch and turned out to be a completely useless commander.  I got itchy feet and was luckily head hunted and offered a position as a staff officer with the 21st Centauri Lancers.  A year after that, I was given a company to command and spent five happy years with the Lancers.”

“What caused your departure from the Lancers?” Asked Yorinaga

“A Woman.”

“She must have been important to you for you to leave such a posting.”

“Yes she was.  She made it easy for me however.  We met when I was on leave on Galatia and she was on leave from the Eridani Light Horse. We fell in love and as she was the deputy commander of their 151st Light Horse’s Air Group, she was able to get me transferred into the 151st when a command slot opened up.  She still won’t tell me to this day how she managed it, but it seems that all her favours were called in.”

“Yes, I remember that from about that time the 151st, and later the Eridani as a whole, began to develop a real feel for our defensive weaknesses.  We later identified you and your current deputy, Precentor Millray, as the young officers who were responsible.”

The Precentor Martial stopped before a stone bench and indicated with his hand, offering Yorinaga a seat.  Yorinaga made a small bow and seated himself.  Both men thus gained a pleasing view across the gardens and out across the mountains.   “Pat had a nose for DCMS defensive lapses and I was able to plan the assaults themselves.  We were formed into a small Raid Planning Unit with a few other officers and reported to the regimental commanders directly.  Three years later I was offered a Battalion with the 12th Vegan’s Gamma regiment and jumped at the chance.  There was no real prospect of a Battalion in the Eridani for at least two years and Dana, my wife, had retired after a bad landing had nearly crippled her.  We left the Eridani and Pat followed.  Gamma was good to us and I loved the challenge of Battalion command.  Did that for five years, until Pat and I had the idea of putting together another Terran ex-pat unit like the old Archers.  We set up a unit called the Men of Terra in 3016 with a few old hands from the Archers, Light Horse, Gamma, and some Terran troopers we had found about Galatia.”

Yorinaga looked across at Hamilton.  “I have never heard of the Men of Terra.”

“I’m not surprised.  We formed on Terra, near my old home down in Australia and our first contract was picked up by ComStar.  We became at first a dedicated Opfor for the ComGuards and then involved in training the ComStar forces themselves and the TerrSec forces, eventually becoming part of the ComGuards.”

Yorinaga leaned back and smiled.  “A most interesting career you have had Precentor Martial, I see why you possess the abilities you do and why you were selected for your role.”  Yorinaga stood and bowed deeply, with Angus rising quickly to do the same. “I must beg of you to forgive my rude abruptness, I must meet with the Coordinator soon and will be late should I enjoy your company and this view for much longer.”

Cunning old rat! “I would not keep you from your duties Kanrei, I would, however wish to ask you some questions regarding your own past.”

Yorinaga smiled, “As do many Precentor Martial.  I cannot do so this evening, but I promise to meet again here tomorrow night to enjoy this wonderful garden and talk of a brash young Samurai I once used to know.”

Angus bowed again and watched Yorinaga walk off.  It’s not the brash young Samurai I am interested in Yorinaga, it’s the great warrior he became that interests me. And I just hope you are as forthcoming as I was.  Hamilton shook his head. How the hell did he make me open up like that?

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 17 May 2018, 05:01:27 »
Interesting backstory
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #67 on: 17 May 2018, 06:28:50 »
Interesting backstory

Thanks. I had to justify his position and skills, so spent some time working out what would be a good fit.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #68 on: 17 May 2018, 10:12:51 »
Very in depth, it will be interesting when horses line up to the starting line of the coming conflict and how it plays out.  This is something i miss about the old Battletech novels not being production anymore.  Makes it feel alive. Good Job, Blacknova.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Marlin

• Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: 17 May 2018, 14:14:11 »
Hey, I was invested in this for a tiny bit. :)

Did you rework the text from the existing one or is ist unchanged?
Will it be revived or is it already? Did not check in to youre site for quite a while..
Get to know the ultimate combined arms experience for the Battletech universe! See link below.

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/board,105.0.html

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #70 on: 17 May 2018, 15:09:35 »
Hey Marlin. Slight tweaks and clean ups and some chapters are larger, but nothing has been cut.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #71 on: 19 May 2018, 20:32:08 »
Chapter 25

Sandhurst Royal Military Academy,
England, Terra.
11 January, 3024.

Precentor Myndo Waterly, ComStar’s power behind the throne and the puppet-master of the Concord of Kapteyn, the accord signed between the Capellan Confederation, Free Worlds League, and Draconis Combine, looked across at her General as he thought about his answer to her question.  The Precentor Martial intrigued Myndo; he was so much the opposite of her in the way he conducted himself and in his view of the universe in general.

The General, in a simple set of fatigues, contrasted sharply with Myndo, who was resplendent in her red Precentor’s robes.  That she clashed horribly with his large, but simply furnished office, was of no concern to her.  In fact, she felt as though the clash emphasized her superiority to the military arm of ComStar.  He looked up after a moment and began his answer. “I would describe myself Precentor Waterly, as a loyal son of Terra.”

“Loyal son of Terra?” Myndo made a slight chuckle, “Whatever do you mean by that Precentor Martial?”

“I mean that I would do anything to assure the safety of my world.  My loyalty to ComStar is due to the fact that for the last two hundred odd years, ComStar has kept Terra safe.  The efforts the order made to rebuild following the Usurper’s occupation will be a debt that Terra owes ComStar for many years to come.  By serving ComStar and strengthening the ComGuards, I further help to protect my world.”

Myndo was a little aggrieved that his loyalty was first to the world and not the order. That is something that in time will have to change, or else your early retirement will be in order.  The ComGuards cannot be allowed to secularise beyond the period of expansion, otherwise they will become a dagger at our Order’s heart.  “How then, Precentor Hamilton, do you account for your thirty-four year voluntary exile?”

“My parent’s death and my desire to be learn all I could about being an officer and leader of men.  The chance to do so has not existed on Terra for two centuries.  It was a relief when ComStar offered to hire the Men of Terra back in ’16.  I had tired of the way the House Lords treated Mercs, people from Terra, and anyone who did not tow the party line.  Having grown up on this world and then seeing the damage that had been wrought to the old Hegemony made me angry that the Successor States could actually think they could lay claim to the mantle of First Lord.  They are all as bad as each other; unfortunately, no power has been in existence since Kerensky left to bring them to order.”

Myndo leant forward, planning to draw Hamilton on of his own accord. “What if one power could bring the others to heal?”

“Short of the F-C alliance succeeding, I see no way of any of the Successor States being able to.  ComStar technically could, if it was more open and forthcoming in it’s desire to balance the other powers and act as a stabilising influence, much as the Hegemony once was.”  Hamilton stopped, suddenly realising what was in the air.  “What are you thinking Precentor Dieron?”

“Exactly that Precentor Martial.  ComStar needs to act.  This war will help restore balance.  Following that, we need to be more active in directing the Successor States towards the light of Blake’s words.”

“The First Circuit would oppose any such measure, even if you were Primus.”

“But you believe the Successor States must be controlled?”

“Yes.”

“What if I can provide you with that possibility?”

The Precentor Martial paused, thinking on Myndo’s reasoning.  “You can only provide that possibility if you were Primus and you could control the First Circuit.”

“I will be Primus; the current incumbent is proving to be too recalcitrant in his support of my plans for our Order.  I now have the support I need to remove him, except that is, your support for my future plans.”

It was at this point that the penny again dropped for Precentor Hamilton.  It was the second point he would look back on later in life and wonder why fate touched him again.  “I can provide the support you need in a form I do not think you might have considered.  The ComGuards will remain largely neutral and I will not betray your plans, on the condition that they remain a defensive force and are not used against Terra." I will not have a religious visionary directing my soldiers in a war of righteous conquest, Thought the Precentor Martial.

“Conditions Precentor Martial? I will command ComStar should I be Primus, yet you wish to set conditions.”

“You will need my quiet support.  Precentor ROM has cooled towards you in recent months and ROM can be a dangerous enemy to any new Primus that displeases it.”

Damm you Hamilton! Very well, I will play your game for now.  I need you to control ROM and once you have brought them to heal, I will give you to them to assuage their anger.

“I see your reasoning Precentor Martial.  There is one issue that I do need you to see, to ensure that we can create stability for the Inner Sphere.”

“What might that be Precentor Dieron?”

“The new infantry force you are raising, the one you plan to attach, as companies, I think you said, to the Brigades you are forming.”

“We do not have a name for them yet, although Pat, Precentor Millray, wants to call them the SAS, after the SLDF Special Forces. They are a regiment currently, but we will need about nine over time. What of them?”
“I need you to create a new mission for these SAS.”

“A new mission?  What mission and why?”  The Precentor Martial was obviously annoyed that a politician was interfering in his already complicated force building operation.

“Should this war succeed and we pull our support from the allies, turning the Capellans on the League and creating chaos in Rasalhague for the Combine, our new face will be exposed.  We will need the ComGuards to protect Terra and the SAS to protect the HPG network until we can deploy stronger forces to defend it.”

The Precentor Martial leant back in his chair.  “Precentor Dieron, I do not think a few infantry, even as highly trained as these new troops will be, will be sufficient to defend the HPG network.  Why would we, and how could we, want to station heavy forces at our HPG’s? Additionally, the SAS as you call them, have not been given that name yet.”

So short sighted Precentor, when you look out from your little military world.  “Firstly, they will not be there to protect the HPG’s.  They will be there to delay any strike on an HPG for long enough to allow ROM operatives to disable the HPG in the event of an attack.   Secondly, should the First Circuit prove reluctant to support the new path; we will need to isolate those supporters of the First Circuit within the network.  A bloodless coup of course, but until the changes are implemented, we will need to cut of the First Circuit Precentors from their support.  As to the need for troops at our stations, that will come in time.  We can eventually manipulate the various states to fall into line and allow us to protect our stations from “threats”, whatever we wish those to be.  The day will come when we will need to take direct action to protect our stations, or prevent their secrets, falling to the House Lords.”

Your plans are approaching that point where some will question your motives Precentor Dieron.  I will support you only so far.  “I will need your authorisation to expand the training of the new Special Forces.  I will also need your support in their recruitment, especially as ROM will no doubt be very curious about their sudden growth.”

Myndo stood, “I will see that this is so. Prepare an initial plan for the execution of actions to secure the HPG net and provide for the security of the First Circuit should it be needed.  Call it…Operation ROMULUS.  He created a city that became the foundation of the greatest Empire of old Earth.  It would be fitting that he gives his name to the new future for humanity.”

Hamilton stood and bowed. “As you wish Precentor.  May the Peace of Blake go with you.”

“And with you Precentor Martial.” Myndo turned and left Angus’s office, whilst he remained standing and watched her leave.  He eventually sat and began writing notes at a furious pace. After an hour of writing, he called his aide in the outer office to have Precentor Millray meet him across the grounds at the firing range.  He finished his notes, tore them from the book and walked out of his office.  Waving off his aide he made his way through the College’s ancient halls and out into the grounds.  The College was mercifully quiet, with most students in classes or training.

Pat was waiting at the range, maintaining his fierce image in case any cadets were watching.  Pat looked across angrily. “These better be bloody well important, I’m as busy as a blue assed fly! Why did you need me here to keep me waiting?”

Hamilton simply handed him his notes as the cadets on the range behind them began to open up with automatic weapons and drown out any chance at verbal communication.  After reading the first page Pat looked up, but Angus motioned for him to finish. Once he completed the twelve handwritten pages Pat tucked them under his arm, his face pale and serious.  He waited for the incessant rattle of fire to end before speaking.  “This is Fraking insane!  Do you really want to be her lap dag?  We take this path and we are committing the sins that we have said the Successor Lords commit in spades, sins we agreed no military commander can make.  Fraking ROMULUS! Who the hell does this woman think she is, Huh?  General Kerensky returned perhaps, or maybe Ian Cameron?”

Angus was not surprised at his friend’s reaction.  “More like Prometheus.”

“Damm straight!  We will all be killed, either at the hands of the Successor States, or at that madwoman’s claws.”  Pat was becoming quite agitated.

Angus watched Pat carefully until the Drill Sergeant in the background began to prepare the cadets for another round of firing.  He handed Pat another sheaf of pages.  “You might not like my other idea then.”

Pat began reading as the firing began and Angus could see him swearing his heart out as he read. Once the firing stopped he looked at Angus with a mixture of fear and awe.  “You’re completely Fraking mad!  I suppose you want me to put this little number together for you sahib?”

“Yes Pat I do. If you’re willing that is?  It’s as dangerous as the first plan, but allows us to assuage our conscience somewhat.  At least this way we don’t have to sell our souls to the devil.”

“HAH! We just sell them to his booking agent.  No choice really is there?” Pat shrugged his shoulders. “Alright then, I’ll put this ROMULUS together for our sweet leader.  Then I’ll put REMUS together for you.  Eyes only on both with the Special Forces as the dagger?”

Angus nodded. “That’s fine Pat, and don’t forget to burn those notes.  Leave nothing to be found.  I also have an idea for the Special Forces.  Your idea of calling them the SAS will be a goer.  The Special Administrative Services.  They won’t be noticed among the other special types ComStar are forever assigning to HPG’s and the acronym works for the troops with the name as a decent cover.  Have fun Pat, I know I will be.” He said wryly as both men began to walk back towards the College, both lost in thought.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 19 May 2018, 21:44:02 »
you sir are a bad man... I like it :D

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 19 May 2018, 22:13:18 »
Special Administrative Services, I like it..
It truly remnds me of how many special "ops" have covers. Like Studies and Observations Group
And I am interesting what the Precentor Martial plan to counter Myndo is
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 19 May 2018, 22:27:13 »
when I read the AFFS book. I was worried that comstar was the new TH and I would had to see 3020/30 comstar in with that much area and warships

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 19 May 2018, 22:29:59 »
I always love how the "special" units want to be secret but known... nobody ever calls themselves the 15th Mess Kit Repair Company or the 37th Replacement Depot.

37th Replacement Depot, Sergeant Smith speaking. <indistinct>  Sorry sir, these troops are already assigned to the 51st.  <indistinct>  Major Jones at G1 allocates replacement troops for the command, sir. <indistinct> Yes sir, I'm sorry I couldn't help sir.

37th Replacement Depot, Sergeant Smith speaking. <indistinct>  Sorry sir, we don't have any of those specialties in this group.  <indistinct>  Sir, I recommend calling CPT Doe at the 86th Depot. <indistinct> Yes sir, good luck sir.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #76 on: 20 May 2018, 04:14:54 »
Excellent stuff, Waterly's clearly mad and those around it pretty much know but she's not the kind of bark at the moon mad, but the kind of madness that would have them very calmly beat an underling to death with a hammer before going back to reading a book whilst still slicked with the poor soul's blood.  And that makes her incredibly dangerous, as I doubt she has precisely zero qualms about making people dissapear or 'tragically commiting suicide' with a double shotgun blast to the back of the head, if anyone got in her way.  She's very much the monster that Conrad Toyama was suppose to be. 
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #77 on: 21 May 2018, 06:17:02 »
Excellent stuff, though i wonder if the Watery fails what the Guard would shape ComStar into.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #78 on: 21 May 2018, 06:54:06 »
Excellent stuff, though i wonder if the Watery fails what the Guard would shape ComStar into.

Nothing pretty...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #79 on: 21 May 2018, 12:02:05 »
Nothing pretty...
Sure it can be.  Vase of e Mycosia blossoms will brighten things up for her...

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #80 on: 23 May 2018, 03:47:21 »
Chapter 26

Vaucluse House, New Earth,
Ryde Theatre, Lyran Commonwealth.
15 January, 3024.

“This expansion of the three Kapteyn’s militaries is beginning to concern me. It’s just not just for the implications that it holds for the defence of our two realms, but also for the probabilities of increased production in those realms, or assistance from another source.” Hanse Davion’s tone was serious and tense. Serious and tense could have summed up the entire meeting between Hanse and Katrina Steiner.  Ever since the Parliamentary coup that Thomas and Janos Marik had orchestrated, the Steiner and Davion intelligence agencies continued to uncover evidence of the start of a new arms race; an arms race that Kurita, Marik, and Liao were building a substantial lead in.

Katrina felt just as strained. Her realm was, until six months ago, believed to hold a large advantage over the other realms in military industrial output, something that was allowing her to rebuild the Commonwealth’s defences to a point where her realm would be safe for the first time in centuries.  Then suddenly, both the Combine and League were building as many regiments as the Commonwealth could, even if pushed.  Lyran strength was predicated on being able to out produce its opponents.  If that advantage was lost, then so was the Commonwealth.

“Mother, if I may?” Melissa Steiner had requested to be present at these meetings, both to learn about her future duties and to spend time to get to know the man who she would marry in four years’ time.  Although only barely a teenager, Melissa’s intelligence and natural inquisitiveness had served her well so far.  What had impressed Katrina the most was Hanse’s attitude.  He was never condescending or impolite and never corrected Melissa.  If she was in error, he guided her to the correct answer, even if Melissa was being stubborn.  Melissa, for her part, was challenging the Prince, as her views and way of thinking were simple and straight forward.  The Prince’s plans were anything but simple and were often composed of plans within plans.  The meeting of the two philosophies was enjoyable to watch, even if the situation was serious.  One day you two will make a formidable pair.

“Of course Melissa, what is it you wish to share?” Answered Katrina.

Melissa, her youthful face furrowed with thought, something that did little for the effect of her flowing eye makeup, began her theory with a question. “Is it really theoretically possible for the League, Combine, AND Confederation to all have unknown production facilities that are enabling them to out produce our two realms?”
Hanse answered before Katrina could. “Yes and No, is the simple answer.”

“That’s not an answer at all.” Mellissa replied, an angry undertone in her voice.

Hanse smiled, “No Mellissa it is not, but that is because I have been handed many different answers on the topic.  Theoretically it is possible.  How both our realms missed it for so long, I do not know.  Perhaps the three realms coordinated their intelligence, but that does not fit with their prior histories.  Such an expansion would have to have been noticed and if we did not notice such activity, in three separate realms, then both our intelligence agencies are in dire straits.  If it is not possible, then where did the Mechs come from?  All three powers cannot have access to some hidden depot; they would have eviscerated each other over it.”

Katrina nodded whilst sipping from a glass of water as she leant back in the solidly built wicker chair she occupied on the large mansion’s patio.  “There are too many ifs in this problem and too few whys arriving to answer our questions.”

Melissa stood and began walking around the table as her mind began to kick into overdrive.  Silhouetted, against the low sun coming across the forests behind the house, her daughter looked too young to be discussing such matters.  Nevertheless, Melissa waded in.  “Why don’t we keep the question simple then?  Can the three realms realistically produce what they seem to be, without hedging your answers and only relying on what we knew six months ago?”

“No.” Answered Hanse, a look of interest on his face.

“There is no real chance.” Answered Katrina, likewise interested.

“Okay, where could they get that material from then?”

“Old storehouses.  Most likely old SLDF storehouses, their own were pretty dry five years ago, much like ours.”  Her mother answered.

“Where would such a find need to be located for all three to benefit?”

“Within a jump or so of Terra, the closer the better, otherwise one realm can ensure its control.” Hanse could not quite see where this was leading, but felt something big was coming.

“What would either of you do if you heard of such a find near Terra?”

Hanse laughed as he answered, “Drop a half dozen RCT’s right on top of it.”

“Not if I was already there you wouldn’t.” Said Katrina.

Melissa stopped her pacing. “Exactly, you would each sell your own grandmothers for it.”

Both Hanse and Katrina were taken aback by Melissa’s tone and words, but understood the vital truth.  For a Successor Lord to allow another Lord access to such a treasure would be to spell that Lords own doom.  Such a find would ignite a vicious war of possession.

“Yet everyone is getting on just fine, what does that mean?”

Hanse sat back, making an exasperated sigh, the answered. “That there can’t be a depot and we are back to working out how they produce so much.”

“Or the depot is controlled by someone else.”

Melissa’s innocent tone slid like ice across Katrina’s nerves.  Not possible. “You know what you are suggesting daughter? Such an action would throw the Inner Sphere into chaos.”

Hanse leant forward, his face grave. “We had considered this, the possibility of ComStar as a source, but discounted it.  They do not have the capability.”

Katrina looked across at Hanse.  “How sure can we be? What was left on Terra when Blake took the world?  We know some of the factories were still working and Blake stripped New Earth into the bargain.”

“There is another possibility,” Said Melissa, “What of the Lost Divisions?”  Melissa brought up one of the old legends of the Exodus.  Well over a dozen SLDF Divisions had apparently disappeared after Kerensky left.  What records the General left behind did not mention their presence in the fleet and they never appeared in any House Lord’s armies.  They vanished.  Some thought the General took them and the records were just too incomplete, others believing that the General destroyed them as rebels.  Some others thought they must have taken more damage during the liberation than was let on and were simply shell Divisions that were disbanded.  Some believed however, that were secreted away on Terra, but few gave that story much weight, as most believed that Blake would have used them to help secure more of the Hegemony.

“My dear, they are little more than a fairy tale.  If they were real, we would have seen them centuries ago.”  Katrina could not bring herself to believe that such a hidden threat could have existed for so long. It’s just not possible.

“But aren’t the simplest explanations often the right ones?  That’s what Thelos tells me.” Melissa’s voice had taken on a slightly hurt tone.

Hanse stood up and placed a hand gently on her shoulder.  “We are not ridiculing you Melissa, we simply cannot afford for such a scenario to be true.  Should ComStar so actively seek to manipulate such a war, it would destabilise the Inner Sphere for decades.  First by allying our states and then assisting the others in a war would open ComStar up to assaults from the House Lords, forcing them to use this arsenal, that you say they may well possess, to defend themselves.  It’s a nightmare scenario.  Nevertheless, I might, just for peace of mind, have Quintus sniff around a little.  If such a disaster is a possibility, however slight, I want to know about it.”

Melissa smiled at Hanse, “Thank you, I just hope Quintus can prove me wrong.”

“And Simon Jonson can try as well.” Added Katrina, then changed the topic.  “What of your plans of the expansion of your realm’s military Hanse?  I hope it’s better than what we have accomplished.  So far we have added two regiments to the Skye Rangers and reformed the 2nd Winfield Brigade and the Tamar Tigers.  Not much, but those units represent real pride for the Skye and Tamar regions and have caused no end of pain for my political rivals.”

Hanse sat, after offering Melissa her chair, which she accepted. “I have begun the expansion of the Training Battalions into Training RCT’s.  They are effectively a March Militia with the Training unit attached.  I don’t think I will form more than five and after that, well the old honour roles are full of holes.  Additionally, I am going to reform the Periphery March due to all the grief I have received from the Outback.  It will allow the Crucis March to become a supply and basing area for reserves and leave the bandit hunting to the Periphery PDZ’s.  The Crucis Marshals are happy and Robinson and New Syrtis are pleased to finally shed their Periphery responsibilities.  So far Filvet and the other more prominent Outback worlds are in full support, so it should streamline command and control of the AFFS.  How is the LCAF’s RCT program progressing?”

Katrina answered after thinking for a moment.  “The Lyran Guards will be at full RCT strength by years end with the Royal Guards to follow.  After that the Arcturans and select Donegal units will convert followed by other units as needed.  We should have completed the program by 3028.”

The meeting continued for hours more, with Melissa amazed at the numerous issues that were now affecting both realm’s outlook and plans.  The more she listened, the more amazed she was that both her mother and future husband could keep all the information in their heads and recall numerous details as required.  She would need that skill one day, but until then would rely on the obviously formidable skills of her Mother and future Husband.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 23 May 2018, 06:21:26 »
Nice, interesting changes in the Outback...

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 23 May 2018, 21:03:25 »
someone is starting to connect the dots.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #83 on: 27 May 2018, 00:38:28 »
Chapter 27

The Cave, Saso, New Syrtis,
Capellan March, Federated Suns.
25 January, 3024.

“It’s a pain in the arse, but it’s what the Prince wants and so we do it?  That is your view now is it? Your father would be incensed that you are handing away the rights to thirteen worlds, two BattleMech Regiments and several brigades of conventional forces.  What if we should need those forces against the Capellans? What then?” 

Count Anton Vitios, one of Duke Michael Hasek-Davion’s cronies, was incensed at the announcement that the new Duke, Morgan Hasek-Davion, had just made.  Morgan had announced that the Warren Polymorphous Defence Zone, or PDZ, would be broken away from the Capellan March to assist in forming the new Periphery March.  As a staunch Hasek loyalist and card carrying provincial, Vitios was in no way temperamentally equipped to deal with such demands from New Avalon.  That the new Duke, son of the man Vitios had idolised, would so willingly give up centuries old Hasek holdings was beyond the pale as far a the small, aggressive and abrasive man could stand.

Justin Allard, his lithe and tall frame towering over that of the small man next to him, answered for the Duke.  “We lose little compared to the other Marches Anton.  Two BattleMech units you say?  A training regiment and a March Militia are not much to lose, and neither would have been available for use against the Capellans anyway.  They man a slim line of defence against the Taurians.  We lose a few tax dollars and are now able to focus entirely on the Taurian core and the Capellan border, leaving Pirate hunting and long-range patrols to the new March.”  Justin had little time for Vitios, as the man was a racist pig, unable to see past Justin’s half Capellan heritage, despite his sterling record of service to House Davion.

“A FEW TEX DOLLARS!!  We lose over £80 Billion in revenue per year.  Where do you propose we make up that shortfall?” Vitios was clearly losing control, his small face glowing redder than a fireball.

“Calm yourself Anton.” Morgan’s deep voice brought Anton up short, before he could continue.  “We loose little compared to the other Marches.  Duke Sandoval is giving up Killbourne and Milligan along with six BattleMech Regiments and Hanse himself has released Anjin Muerto, Broken Wheel, Malagrotta and Islamabad along with thirteen Regiments of Mechs and three centres of military production.  We can hardly complain that we are being unfairly treated.  Besides, the order comes from New Avalon and we are loyal sons of the Federation, are we not Anton?”  Morgan’s question ended on an ominous tone.”

Anton, sensing danger, quickly changed his tune. “Of course, we are loyal my Duke, no region is more determined to see the flag of the Suns ascendant, I merely wished to point out that we were given little opportunity to voice our Marche’s concerns properly or to assist in the implementation of this new plan.”

Little Weasel. Thought Morgan, it’s time to be rid of you and your scheming. “An excellent point Anton, and that is why I summoned you, as I require your services for a project of great importance for the Capellan March.”

Anton, on cue, puffed up as his rampant self importance took hold. “As ever, I live to serve the Capellan March through the utilisation of my talents my Duke.”

Morgan continued with a glint in his eye and his voice masking his amusement at the ease at which the little rat could be manipulated.  “Anton, it is my command as your Duke that you be appointed as my personal representative to the new Duke of Filvet, Robert Edgrer.  You will facilitate the merger of the Warren PDZ into the new march and then act as my representative to Filvet.”

Anton new he was in a trap.  Should he refuse, he may well be dismissed from service as the new Duke had little time for him. Should he accept, he would be exiled.  However, the chance to influence a new March and carve out a new base of power may well be worth the effort.  He could always return to New Syrtis with an independent power base to support him. He bowed slightly as he answered. “I would be honoured my Duke, to serve as your personal representative to Filvet.”

“Morgan smiled as he returned the small bow. “Excellent Anton. I have assembled a small staff for you and they are awaiting you at the northern meeting hall of the Ducal Palace.”

Knowing when he was dismissed, but still feeling a little used, Anton bowed again and left the room.

“Here is hoping his DropShip has engine failure on the way down to Filvet.  I hope I never have to see that little wretch again.”  Ardan Sortek meandered over to the map table that displayed the holographic image of the now smaller Capellan March.  “Probably time we talked about Capellan intentions.  They seem to be getting a little ancy all along the border now that McCarron is home.  Good riddance to the Bastard.”

“Perhaps we could pay Archie a visit on Menke?  Say with, oh I suppose the 5th and 6th Fusiliers, the Armoured Cav and a few of the Illician’s.”  Justin had taken it as a personal insult that McCarron’s Armoured Cavalry, under the commander Archibald McCarron, had been allowed to romp through the Federated Suns, raiding and pillaging.

Morgan shook his head whilst enjoying Justin’s thought.  He was coming to enjoy these sessions with Justin and Ardan, the three men forming a good team that was able to operate smoothly and support each other well.  He knew both men were watchdogs, placed to assure Hanse of Morgan’s loyalty, but having two such minds to assist him was a boon he would not begrudge.  “A pleasant thought Justin, but I think we need to think bigger and longer term.  I want you and Ardan to start coming up with ideas for an offensive that can really hurt the Confederation.  Something more befitting the personal response of the Duke of New Syrtis to Maximillian Liao on Sian for unleashing McCarron on us.”

“I think that will be a nice exercise in military theory and planning, and give the planning staff something to do other than obsess over the results of McCarron’s raids.” Justin leant back against the wall, stretching as he did so.  “It still leaves the question of what Capellan intentions are?  They are building up a new force, the Grenadiers, under Candace, but don’t seem to be causing any other major ripples.  Six regiments is a big ask for them industrially, but we can match it with the new Training RCT’s and the reserves from New Avalon.”

Ardan looked seriously at the map. “What if the reserves don’t materialise?  What if the Dragon strikes at us as well?”

Justin did some quick mental arithmetic. “We still hold three RCT’s, six independent regiments, two March Militias and several supporting Wings and Conventional Brigades in reserve positions around the March.  Even if Max threw in the kitchen sink and weakened the Free Worlds border in a few small areas, we can still hold him.  He would need to strip the entire Free Worlds border to cause issues.”

Morgan saw quickly a nightmare scenario.  “What if he did?  What if Max made a coup and was able to free up troops.  What if the Dragon struck out as well and Max got the Taurians involved?”

Silence reigned in the room as all three men contemplated what would be a devastating situation for their March.  A strong and, in places, overwhelming attack just at a time when the AFFS reserves were not available for full deployment to aid New Syrtis in her hour of need.

“Pull out of the salients.” Ardan’s answer was given in a dead pan voice.

Justin continued the thought. “Shorten the line and free up units for counter-attacks.  It would probably work, but the political ramifications would be dire.  Any flanking strike by the Taurians would also put any withdrawal under immense pressure.”

Morgan thought for a moment.  “That’s your brief then.  Plan for the worst, hope for the best.  Call it Case Black.”

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 27 May 2018, 03:15:31 »
I liked the idea of dropping in on the Big Mac

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 27 May 2018, 05:17:54 »
Isn't it Filtvelt?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #86 on: 30 May 2018, 02:26:48 »
Chapter 28

Sandhurst Royal Military Academy,
England, Terra,
19 March, 3024.

General Hamilton walked across the damp grounds of the Sandhurst Military Academy for, what ROM agents were reporting, was his daily exercise.  However, his walk was far more than that, though ROM suspected nothing, despite reporting all.  Hamilton was using these walks for infrequent meetings with Pat, to discuss the ongoing planning they were undertaking for Precentor Waterly and for themselves.  The walks always took them past the firing ranges, where they made a habit of lingering and taking notes.  A monthly award for marksmanship, the honour of serving as the Precentor Martial’s junior aide, awarded to the month’s best marksman, gave credible lie to these stops.  The stops also gave a nice cover of noise to their more dangerous conversations.  As he squelched through the damp grounds, sodden from a week’s constant steady rain fall, Angus could already detect the scent of the range, the combination of gunpowder and laser scorch.

As he wandered over, he could already see Pat there with a notepad, ostensibly marking in the best shots amongst the officer cadets.  Angus actually found it pleasant to have the young, wide eyed, and keen aides assist him.  It allowed him to gauge the effects of the expansion of the ComGuards from the bottom of the military hierarchy as well as influence, he hoped, the next generation of ComGuards leaders and instil in them a loyalty to the office of the Precentor Martial.  This would be critical in years to come.  Pat accused him of engineering a personality cult, and too some extent it seemed Pat may be right, as the young officer cadets fought hard to gain the honour of serving as aide for a month.  More so, and to Pat’s complete and utter disgust, he treated his young aides as full officers, involving them in as much as he could and forcing them to think well beyond their years and experience.

Angus walked up the last few metres to the small ridge above the firing range a stopped next to Pat.  Neither man looked at the other as the conversation began.  “Who looks the goods this month?”

Pat answered as he looked across his notes, “Some waif from the backwoods of Siberia.  Seems she grew up hunting.  Hasn’t missed a shot yet.”

“New to the Academy?”

“Yeah this week with the new bunch.  Best score yet, even acing that arse kisser Hewitt.”  Pat referred to Colin Hewitt, the young cadet who had made aide three times and was a little too accommodating to Angus’s needs than Pat though proper.  Normally, Angus would have agreed, but the fact that Hewitt’s crawling – he had to face the fact – was driving Pat up the wall, made it all worthwhile.

“Colin will be most put out.” Gus answered with a straight face.

“I can deal with the little arse kisser suffering.” Pat growled.

“How is your pet project coming?”  Angus referred to the plans for ROMULUS and REMUS.

“Tolerable.” Pat could twist tails too.

“Define tolerable?”

“Progressing as ordered by the Precentor Martial.”

“Give it up Pat, I have to meet with Precentors Dieron in an hour and then fly across to Hilton Head to brief the
First Circuit and the Primus on our main plans.”

“Both plans are in order and the troops have begun training in their planned roles, although they have no idea what those roles really represent.  The SAS are turning into one dangerous bunch of eager young men and women.  Word has it that the miners on Mars took offence to us posting so many troopers there.  It got interesting in the bars for a few nights until the miners learned that our new unit is not to be trifled with.”
“Have you got anything in writing I can actually hand to the higher ups?”

“Should be something on your desk already.  It outlines what we have done and what we plan to do to support Waterly’s plans.  As to ROMULUS and REMUS, nothing in writing as ordered.”

Angus nodded. “Good.  How long do you really think you would need before you could institute either of the twins?” Angus asked, referring to ROMULUS and REMUS.

“Not before 3026.” Pat saw Angus open his mouth, but jumped in before he could utter a sound. “And you tell Precentor Waterly that it won’t happen a moment earlier.  You pair want to pull these plans off, then that’s the time I need to get enough troops trained well enough to do it.  That’s final and non-negotiable.”

Angus chuckled. “I was simply going to ask you if yourself and your lovely lady would like to join Liz and I next weekend for dinner.”

Pat turned and faced the Precentor Martial before answering. “You are a lousy bloody liar!  Makes me wonder how you are going to pull all of this off?  Still, I accept your invitation and would be honoured if the Precentor Marital was to shout dinner.”

Angus just had to accept that one.

An hour later, Angus stood as Precentor Waterly entered his office, moving around his desk and offering the Precentor a chair.  “Welcome Precentor, it is an honour to have you at Sandhurst again.  I must apologise for not meeting you at the landing pad, I was preparing the notes for our discussion.”

Precentor Waterly, took the proffered seat within the alcove, the same seat that Precentor ROM had used. “That’s quite alright Precentor Martial, I understand the demands that duty places upon time.  Tell me, how do our plans advance?”

Angus sat and crossed his long legs, thinking for a moment. “The recruitment of both ComGuard and naval personnel proceeds apace with new formations being posted across the Terran system.  The fleet is taking a little longer, but that is to be expected with the needs of century’s old refitted ships.”  Precentor Waterly nodded. “The supply of our allies is also well in hand, however, word from ROM indicates that the F-C Alliance now suspects something is seriously amiss, although they do not appear as yet to understand or even suspect our hand.”

Precentor Dieron sat forwards “This is good Precentor Martial, you and your officers are to be commended.  You will present this plan to the First Circuit tonight and be prepared to defend it.”

Angus sat back into the deep chair. “Defend it?”

“Yes Precentor Martial, defend it.  The Primus wishes to cut your plans in half and scale them back.  This is madness.  He seeks this course in order to remove me from the First Circuit.  Instead, you will support the plan with all your efforts, efforts that will lead me to my true place as Primus.”

Damm your ambition! “I would support the plan regardless of other requirements Precentor; we are too far along the path to stop now.  Terra would be exposed as complicit and undefended when retribution came.  Stopping now is a death sentence.”

Very delicately put General, your loyalty to this world before Blake is useful, but will ultimately prove your undoing. “I am truly glad your insight provides you with the ability to see to the heart of this matter Precentor Martial, I will trust in your abilities to outline the dangers we face should we stop short of our goals.  How does your planning for ROMULUS come?”

Angus felt a chill, the same chill he felt whenever he discussed the plan with Waterly.  “Well Precentor.  The SAS have begun training in their planned roles, as have the more experienced main line ComGuard and fleet units, all however without knowledge of their true objectives.  Nothing is left in writing.  Once the order is given, SAS units will arrest any known supporter of the First Circuit in every HPG in the Inner Sphere as well as known ROM officers.  ROM HQ will come under assault, dependent on other details and the First Circuit, Terran Congress, and all major military and military industrial sites on Terra will be taken.  Following those actions will be your political phase as troops on the Marik/Liao frontier are pulled back along with all support of the allied states.  Actions following this will be entirely dependent on circumstance and ComStar’s posture regarding the other states.”  Circumstance that you do not seem to appreciate with your blind vision of religious fervour. “Of course, the ComGuards will be ready to support any threatened HPG should it be required.”

Waterly smiled a smile that made Gus think of the coldest corners of the Antarctic. “I am truly glad that Blake’s insight allowed me to choose you as the master planner of our destiny Precentor Martial, your name will be celebrated for years within our order.”

I highly doubt that. “Thank you for your praise Precentor.  Your support, as always, is greatly appreciated.”

Waterly then continued.  “What of ROM, will they become aware of our plans?”

Angus nodded. “Yes, but it will not matter.  We are naming every exercise and plan that deals with potential threats to ComStar and Terra with ancient Roman names such as Romulus, Caesar, Janus etcetera, ROM may well hear of our plan but will assume it is merely one of many being used to assist in the training of the Guards.”

Myndo beamed again, looking slightly mad. “Again, Precentor Hamilton, you impress me with your abilities.  How then has ROM acted with regards to my call for joint training?”

“Very well actually.  Following your approval of our joint intelligence operations we have found a way to manage a joint training regime.  ROM was at first aghast at your request that ComGuard troops be permanently assigned to their HQ in Cairo, but we believe we have a solution.  We will provide a company of SAS troops to exercise with ROM, out of the Cairo HQ, twice a year in a simulated exercise against a fresh ComGuard Combat Brigade.  Precentor ROM is happy for the joint exercise in the repulsion of a Mech assault by ComGuard/ROM Special Forces on a limited basis.  Besides, the ComGuards are too busy to mount a garrison of ROM HQ and it would raise too many suspicions.  This way we build an apparently solid working relationship with ROM and can act as needed.”  My troops also learn how to storm the rats nest whilst the SAS can raise hell on the inside.

Myndo’s voice dropped low. “So again, Precentor ROM and yourself defy me and plan your own way forwards.”

“Precentor, please forgive two jealous old men who wish to protect their domains.  We accept your ideas as valid and as your aides and advisors we see it as our duty to take your wishes and make sure that they work to best effect.”

Waterly relaxed. “Very well General, I would merely ask that you advise me in future before the decision is made.” Your independence is a liability to you Hamilton. I will not forgive you your slights to my authority when the time comes to pay your dues.

Angus nodded “Of course Precentor, I will not be so presumptive again.” Not that it matters now anyway. Angus decided to change tune.  “I have a request from Precentor Millray, an offering of an apology of sorts.”

Myndo smiled.  “I could never imagine Precentor Millray apologising to anyone Precentor Martial?”

Gus laughed.  “Perhaps not, but it amounts to the same thing.  Pat firstly wants to form to Ceremonial Guards companies from the SAS, the best from the program for the protection of the First Circuit and Primus, under the Primus’s orders, and one for the Precentor Martial and ComGuard High Command.  Would you accede to this request?  It represents a high honor to those chosen and gives them something to aspire to.  The contact with the Primus through the SAS would be seen as a great honour to the ComGuards as a whole.”

Myndo looked a little surprised, almost flattered by the request. “It would be my pleasure to honor the Guards in such a way should I accede to the office of Primus.  And your second request?”

“Similar but more in line with your initial requests of the ComGuards.  Pat wants to take the most fervent supporters of ComStar philosophy and beliefs and form two new Combat Brigades with the finest equipment, as exemplars of what the ComGuards should be.  These two units would be assigned as the main garrison of North-East America, under the eyes of the Primus and First Circuit.  They will be the model for the future of all ComGuard units.” And allow me to put all the hopeless fanatics in one easy to reach place.

Waterly positively beamed.  “It will be as you say Precentor Martial, they will be the first of a new generation of our valiant protectors, avatars of Blake’s True Destiny.

Yes, Precentor Waterly, that they surely will be.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 30 May 2018, 21:18:17 »
is it bad... that i'm kind of starting to root for Tera?  I was not that thrilled with them with I read the AFFS book. 

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #88 on: 30 May 2018, 21:44:12 »
We tried to be 3025 BattleTech with them. Yes, they have their good points, but also their bad points. The many shades of grey that make BT so much fun.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 31 May 2018, 16:05:48 »
is it bad... that i'm kind of starting to root for Tera?  I was not that thrilled with them with I read the AFFS book.

Don't feel bad I am rooting for General Hamilton   8)