Author Topic: Writing About Writing: Stray Thoughts  (Read 6496 times)

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
Writing About Writing: Stray Thoughts
« on: 18 June 2019, 23:06:48 »
Thank you for taking the time to read my fiction. I have a little more time to devote to writing and I hope you continue to enjoy my contributions.

I’m starting this particular thread in order to prevent holding discussions between installments of my fiction. Please leave your comments and discussion here and go ahead and ask any questions you may have concerning my work.

My interest in Battletech started when members of my war game club, the UHOGS (University of Hawaii Organizational Group Studies) started playing a game about giant robots. At first, I declined; I was totally unfamiliar and uninterested in the genre, and some of the guys who played weren’t even wargamers, they played with giant robots and some unfathomable baseball simulator, where they would spend a whole weekend establishing a league and play (somewhat noisily) all Summer long.
I had first started war gaming in the 1960s, when a friend ordered a board game that simulated the Battle of Waterloo in the mail and we took turns slaughtering each other during the weekends. Once I found out that a local toy store carried games by Avalon Hill, my weekend schedules were pretty much booked.

Graduating from high school and starting college at the age of 16, (the laws at the time were written to accommodate rural students who would work at the farms and plantations, so all you needed was a certain number of credits to graduate, so taking Summer school would have allowed me to graduate even earlier) I discovered the UHOGS, who gamed Friday, Saturday and Sunday with access to UH classrooms.

Fast forward; I got cooking staff job at the Kona Hilton, got bored, then a did a 4-year stint in the US Army, mostly to do war game research, was hired by the FAA and after a couple of years at the NY TRACON, transferred back to Honolulu…  To my delight, the UHOGS were still there in 1989…

Eventually, one of the BT players invited me to join in on a battle, where they needed more players on the OPFOR (Opposing Force or enemy) team, and in Hawaii, we are all very polite and rarely turn down an invitation, I assented. Mind you, I had no clue of the BT universe or any of the units, never even heard of Robotech (who needs television when your parents bought every set of Time/Life books from the 60s to the 80s?) and had only passing interest in sci-fi. Once I was briefed, I commanded a small lance and participated in a battle that the players weren’t ready for. The commanders heatedly argued and that ended the scenario, with a portion of their force leaving the field and the remainder forced to flee. The players then bitterly dissolved the mercenary unit and after more fighting, some of the players left the campaign (and the club) while the remaining players started over… One of the remaining players invited me to join his unit and gave me copies of the RPG manual and a horrid paperback about a whiny Clan Jade Falcon pilot, which almost made me refuse to have anything else to do with the game and its players, it was so bad. Since I enjoyed RPGs, I read the manual (MW1) from cover to cover and saw potential. At that time, I also discovered the computer games, which skewed my knowledge of the BT universe because I was soon familiar with all the Clan invasion omnis while the campaign was still in the 3030s…
  At around the same time, one of my friends was hired by Microsoft and moved, leaving me a treasure trove of out of print FASA material and dozens of figures, including LAMs still in the blisters and a couple of ancient Battledroids figures. This gave me much more data for me to play (and roleplay) the game properly.

My prospective commander strongly suggested that I roll up an Azami character, which would be a first for the campaign (and give his unit access to Star League equipment, as he was metagaming…) but I noticed scant material on the Azami, save a few paragraphs, so the GM tasked me with fleshing out an entire sub-culture to give my character (and subsequent Azami players) more to work with. First, much the information in the sourcebooks was laughable; The Arkab legions weren’t a Japanese corruption on the word “Arab”; The Azami were primarily North Africans, not Arabs and Arkab was the name of a star, like Algedi, Altair, or Ra’s al Hawwa (Rasalhague). Secondly, some of the data was just wrong, such as the Azami contingent traveling to Luthien to offer a truce when the capitol of the Combine was still at Samarkand, or the Algedi Azami being afraid of the dark because their sun being so huge, the planet had no night, as if they never went indoors, ever…or slept.  There were many other preposterous assumptions, such as the Azami at prayer in space standing on their heads to face Mecca but that just reflects a lack of understanding of Islam and the requirements of the invocation, such as touching the ground with forehead, palms, knees and toes during the prostrations. Islamic sources provide answers:
“All Muslims throughout the world should always face the general direction of the Ka‘bah during every Prayer. However, during a journey and when travelling, if one fails to determine the direction properly or when one is unable to face towards the Ka‘bah because of illness, for it is beyond one’s capacity to do so, then one is not obliged to face towards the Qiblah. Also, when on a journey, riding on a mount, train, boat or plane, one should say one’s Prayers facing in the same direction towards which one is moving, or indeed any convenient position will be acceptable.”

After a few years of playing BT, I had accumulated a large amount of data, in which to fill in the numerous blank spots in the source materials that I decided to share it, using the medium of fan fiction, which has been well received.
  I started with “Travels with Uncle Ahmed” in 2004, which introduced the main characters of the bulk of my fiction, as well as daily life and the history of the Azami religious sect.
  After my character’s unit fought on Luthien, I wrote “Footnote” and subsequently “The Compassionate, the Merciful”, also in 2004.

Limitations

Posting fiction on a family-oriented board has its usual limitations on language, as expected. Another limitation is the physical length of posts. While dedicated fiction sites have few limits on length, these boards have a solid limit of about nine pages of text, just in case you wonder why my installments are of a certain length. Before I made that discovery, I had to pare down some of my stories just to fit the text limit, often losing whole paragraphs of dialogue. Now, I do my best to write installments so that they will fit within the limits without losing content. It has been a learning experience, although I do have the original stories in pre-edited form.

Stray Dogs

About five years ago, I decided to retire from the FAA after about 35 years. During that time, I devoted myself to finishing a number of projects that I had suggested (In addition to my regular training and communications duties) but nobody acted upon, such as a full rewrite and update of several training manuals and SOP folders that were literally decades obsolete. I also had to deal with a feckless transfer employee in my section, who had copied my older material verbatim and submitted them under his own name, just to suck up to management without doing any work; Had he waited a couple of weeks, he would have gotten away with it, without me exposing him. My fan fiction was put on hold until I could retire and move to my current address in Kansas.

Stray Dogs was my finally getting around to stories I had either outlined or had bouncing around inside my head. As with regular role playing, my stories concern people and events that normally have absolutely no effect on the universe, or the course of history, they are just stuff that happen within the universe, often unseen.

The Bounty

This comedy was the result of a suggestion from a discussion on bounties that having a valuable “blood chit” would attract attacks on the people who had them, even by unqualified amateurs.

…The Compassionate, the Merciful

When my character’s unit was fighting on Luthien, the GM handed me a list of casualties he had randomly rolled and Sven Shamash, the main character’s cousin, was on that list. Unsatisfied that a member of the unit was simply crossed off the roles, I played out the scenario, using the sheets of Clan omnis damaged in the previous battles and in pursuit of retreating defenders. Shamash’s customized Crab was part of the reserves thrown into the gap to slow the pursuers.

The Call of Ancient Blood

While my friends in school were all following the 1970s Tolkein fad, I was reading the stories by Lovecraft. After somebody had asked about BT stories with supernatural content, I decided that the genre was long overdue and actually has a strong theme tied into my other stories, as you shall see.

Interviews

It is always interesting when gaming philosophies collide during and RPG session. In this case, a min/max gamer applied to a well-established player’s regiment and the min/maxer was sent away to look elsewhere. As a GM, I’ve allowed min/max players but I always warn them that they has better accept the results of being out of their mechs.

The Cat and the Mirror

Nearly every player in my group with a unit eventually wound up facing the Clans and players were expected to either command units for the Combine or the OPFOR in the larger battles. Clan Nova Cat soon became my favorite Clan to play as they weren’t so rigid in their rules and were just a lot of fun. From the Clan Nova Cat perspective, Clan Smoke Jaguar made a huge error in their attack on Luthien, as well as their proposed overall strategy. After weeks of playing out the scenarios with all the latest rules for vehicles, infantry, technology and artillery, I concluded that the Clans would never had gotten as far as they did under the same circumstances. The new rules were indeed game changers. The encounter with the Arkab Crab was only a part of the overall story as seen through the eyes of a rank and file mechwarrior.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Re: Writing About Writing: Stray Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2019, 03:23:35 »
MAZB

Thanks for sharing your story about stories! I love talking about writing almost as much as I love writing, so anytime you want to discuss themes, ideas, whatever, hmu.

The Japanese-language stuff from about the first 10-15 years of BattleTech was ... not great. As you point out, Arab in Japanese is アラブ (Arabu) and both the "rk" and final "b" of "Arkab" are impossible in the language. Sourcebooks abound with cod-Japanese names, and pretty much every kanji character in the artwork is wrong to some degree or other, from Kurita uniforms emblazoned with "Kurisu" (and in the wrong alphabet), to the Sun Zhang academy having (A) a Chinese name and (B) a completely gibberish character for a symbol (might be a backwards 感 meaning 'feeling').

That's the bad news.

The good news is that as the IP has matured, I think they've slowly but steadily improved their sensitivity to such issues, and there's less confused Orientalism and greater sensitivity and respect shown for non-Western cultures. I like to amuse myself by thinking that one of the roles of fan fiction is to introduce this kind of outside perspective to the IP -- certainly I've tried to inject some of that into the way I portray the factions.

In terms of story length, I agree that the 'wall of text' can turn some people off, but there are a number of very popular threads that seem to have been running for months, if not years, so I think provided you keep each post to a readable length you can keep a narrative going for as long as you need. I also cheat by posting a PDF when it's all done.

Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2019, 04:27:18 »
The Japanese-language stuff from about the first 10-15 years of BattleTech was ... not great. As you point out, Arab in Japanese is アラブ (Arabu) and both the "rk" and final "b" of "Arkab" are impossible in the language. Sourcebooks abound with cod-Japanese names, and pretty much every kanji character in the artwork is wrong to some degree or other, from Kurita uniforms emblazoned with "Kurisu" (and in the wrong alphabet), to the Sun Zhang academy having (A) a Chinese name and (B) a completely gibberish character for a symbol (might be a backwards 感 meaning 'feeling').
  Thanks! I was born in Hawaii, where 60% of the population is Asian and everybody understands a few words in Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Filipino.
  I often laugh about how a Japanese speaker would pronounce "Luthien"...

On the Sun Zhang and Sun Tzu academies; I have no clue as to the origin of the Sun Zhang name but Sun Tzu (Lit. "Master Sun") was a scholar and author of the "Art of War", so valuable in military history. The Japanese revered the Chinese Classical writings so it makes sense in that respect.

Many thanks for your comments!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2019, 04:44:01 »
MAZB

Thanks for sharing your story about stories! I love talking about writing almost as much as I love writing, so anytime you want to discuss themes, ideas, whatever, hmu.

Oh my god... and there I was, thinking the German in English-language fiction and games was bad (2300 AD, I´m looking at you!).  You have my sincerest sympathy there.

BTW, is "cod-Japanese" the equivalent of Dog Latin?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2019, 09:43:01 »
  I often laugh about how a Japanese speaker would pronounce "Luthien"...
ルーシエン (Ru-shi-e-n) maybe. I give BT a pass on planet names, since it's possible the original settlers weren't Japanese, though it is odd they never renamed it.

The idea that the Combine wasn't initially Japanocentric, and that Japanese culture was only imposed later is one of the bits of world building in BT that I like. A despotic regime trying to culturally isolate its people, invent outside enemies and position itself as the guardian of a mythical "golden age" in order to preserve its power and excuse its inability (& unwillingness) to meet the material demands of its people ... Yeah, that sounds believable.

Re: Sun Tzu, my only problem is that the Japanese call him Son Bu. It's not clear why they'd adopt the English pronunciation of the name. Early on, I don't think the writers were too careful to distinguish between Japanese and Chinese cultures -- Capellan commanders carried katanas, the Combine state religion revolves around a dragon (=symbol of the Chinese emperor) etc.

BTW, is "cod-Japanese" the equivalent of Dog Latin?

Yes, it means 'fake' or 'mock'. I think cod is a Britishism. At least, I've never heard Americans use it.

Likewise, I must admit I'm blind to any butchering of the German language in the books. If I ever screw up guys, call me out on it!
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2019, 10:30:33 »
Yes, it means 'fake' or 'mock'. I think cod is a Britishism. At least, I've never heard Americans use it.

It´s new to me as well... although I´ve seen some godawful cod puns in British newspapers about the Cod Wars. It start with "For Cod and Country!" and went downhill from there. :D

Likewise, I must admit I'm blind to any butchering of the German language in the books. If I ever screw up guys, call me out on it!

Will do. Feel free to message me if you want any German stuff checked before you post it.
-Frederick the Great

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2019, 10:58:12 »
Yeah, I can confirm that the "German" in BattleTech is hit and miss... but you have to cut the IP some slack, as it was a beer & pretzels wargame background that played it fast and loose with some generic cultural templates.

And then there's Blaine Pardoe, who named a WarShip the "Bismark" {sic} - and when I asked him if that should mean "Bismarck" instead, he basically said "maybe, but maybe language has changed a bit in the past 1000 years". That rationale can be applied to any linguistic atrocity in BattleTech, right down to the Loren Coleman pun "chinese" names for Capellan characters.

Regarding the OP, I have to say I deliberately stay clear of fan fiction because of that compulsion I have to get my fan fiction canonized, and I wouldn't want to face allegations of plagiarism. But I read something about "Travels with Uncle Ahmed" somewhere (HMP forums?), and I thought it was a neat concept. Out of curiosity, have you ever tried submitting to BattleCorps while it was still going?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2019, 15:25:14 »
ルーシエン (Ru-shi-e-n) maybe. I give BT a pass on planet names, since it's possible the original settlers weren't Japanese, though it is odd they never renamed it.

The idea that the Combine wasn't initially Japanocentric, and that Japanese culture was only imposed later is one of the bits of world building in BT that I like. A despotic regime trying to culturally isolate its people, invent outside enemies and position itself as the guardian of a mythical "golden age" in order to preserve its power and excuse its inability (& unwillingness) to meet the material demands of its people ... Yeah, that sounds believable.

Re: Sun Tzu, my only problem is that the Japanese call him Son Bu. It's not clear why they'd adopt the English pronunciation of the name. Early on, I don't think the writers were too careful to distinguish between Japanese and Chinese cultures -- Capellan commanders carried katanas, the Combine state religion revolves around a dragon (=symbol of the Chinese emperor) etc.
  Luthien: We have a comedian in Hawaii who had a skit teaching a Japanese man Hawaiian by throwing a series of words like "Liliuokalani", "Liliha", "Luluku" and "Likelike Highway" at him then laughing at the Japanese accent stumbling over them.

After reading the early FASA books, it was my impression that all the factions were the same, but with a thin veneer of culture in order to appear different, all scoops of vanilla with different toppings. The Combine was as Japanese as a D'oyly Carte production of "The Mikado"...a lot of Brits wearing kimono and carrying katana.

The early BT universe was the American version of the 1980s in space and the Combine was a remnant of WW2 Japanese villians: Brutal, buck-toothed subhumans who wore thick-lensed glasses. The writers knew as much about the base cultures as the game designers knew about warfare and it showed. It was the universe as viewed through Hollywood glasses.

Yeah, I can confirm that the "German" in BattleTech is hit and miss... but you have to cut the IP some slack, as it was a beer & pretzels wargame background that played it fast and loose with some generic cultural templates.

Regarding the OP, I have to say I deliberately stay clear of fan fiction because of that compulsion I have to get my fan fiction canonized, and I wouldn't want to face allegations of plagiarism. But I read something about "Travels with Uncle Ahmed" somewhere (HMP forums?), and I thought it was a neat concept. Out of curiosity, have you ever tried submitting to BattleCorps while it was still going?
  After after three decades I still wouldn't classify BT as a war game...It's still a B&P Sci fi game...along the lines of "That foreign game" (WH40K).

BattleCorps: I've yet to check out the criteria, although I have thought about a "fiction within a faction", which would be a BT version of the "Tank Police" anime series, that would allow non-canon elements and technology, because it's a sci-fi series shown in holovid theaters.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2019, 16:00:08 »
The early BT universe was the American version of the 1980s in space and the Combine was a remnant of WW2 Japanese villians: Brutal, buck-toothed subhumans who wore thick-lensed glasses. The writers knew as much about the base cultures as the game designers knew about warfare and it showed. It was the universe as viewed through Hollywood glasses.

BattleCorps: I've yet to check out the criteria, although I have thought about a "fiction within a faction", which would be a BT version of the "Tank Police" anime series, that would allow non-canon elements and technology, because it's a sci-fi series shown in holovid theaters.

Definitely a product of its time: Robotech with a big dose of tropes from Star Trek, The Mote in God's Eye, Dune, Hammer's Slammers, etc. Looking on the positive side, the retro future style is now part of the charm.

BattleCorps stopped publishing a couple of years back. That's actually what motivated me to start posting my fiction here: I'd submitted two stories to them, gotten approved, then they promptly shut down. Didn't want all that to go to waste so I put them up here.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2019, 17:09:40 »
Definitely a product of its time: Robotech with a big dose of tropes from Star Trek, The Mote in God's Eye, Dune, Hammer's Slammers, etc. Looking on the positive side, the retro future style is now part of the charm.

BattleCorps stopped publishing a couple of years back. That's actually what motivated me to start posting my fiction here: I'd submitted two stories to them, gotten approved, then they promptly shut down. Didn't want all that to go to waste so I put them up here.

Actually, I was thinking about the "fiction within a fiction" idea. I've used it more than once, with characters in my fanfic attending a sci-fi holovid in a theater, and maybe open a new subject where anybody could contribute a short story based on that theme: A BT holovid on any subject, including fantasy; Just in the context of something a BT-era person would view for enjoyment.

Example, from "Forging the Sword":

“What do you think Professor Kagawa? Were the Lyrans testing biological warfare on this planet?” Tai-i Toshiayaki Hamada looked around him; the ground was covered with a strange, purple-hued carpet of unknown biomass.
  The aged professor took a puff from his pipe, “I don’t have all the required data to make any conclusions –the Lyran scientific observation facilities might have been merely established here to study this curious planet and its flora.”
  “My men have found remains of Lyran solders, most of them torn to pieces by some sort of creatures,” reported the Tai-i. “Do you think these things escaped from the laboratory and multiplied?”
  “Again I must tell you, Tai-i,” stated the professor, “I don’t really know.”

“Could the action move any slower?” asked Bratovich. He stuffed a handful of popcorn into his mouth and washed it down with cold beer.
  The holovid had the usual doddering scientist, intuition-driven officer, perky female journalist (scientist’s niece) and wisecracking kid (journalist’s younger brother) and plenty of posturing, fearless Kurita troops…

Tai-i Hamada stepped into the abandoned supply tent and could see that there had been a struggle. Yukio Kagawa peered carefully around the officer, trying to get her camera into position to take some images.
The floor at the far end of the temporary structure seemed to pulsate and a pair of shark-like heads rose from the ground, they had quadruped bodies with long, maroon fur.
  “Keep back, Miss Kagawa!” Hamada raised his auto rifle and slowly backed out of the tent.
  “Let me get some vid first!” the female reporter raised her camera over her head and its lights began blinking. The creatures growled lowly and seemed to rock from one side to the other.
  The ground shook as outside the tent, the accompanying Stinger battlemech marched forward to support the advancing infantry. Three more of what the professor called “xenobioforms” crawled from beneath the ground about thirty meters from the Stinger. Gunsho Henry Fukawa centered his targeting pipper over the three creatures and tapped his communicator, “I have three in my sights –what are our orders?”

“About damn time…” growled the NCO.

Heavy machineguns thudded and flew over the heads of the three creatures as they dashed forward as a pack, sharp teeth tearing at the Stinger’s feet and legs.
Inside the tent, the two alien creatures turned their attention to the wall between them and the Stinger as Hamada backed out of the tent, dragging the reporter along.
  “We have to pull back!” he muttered.
  Kagawa struggled to break from his grasp, “I have to get more vid!” She screamed when she saw the three creatures savagely attacking the Stinger, tearing away chunks of the strongest armor known.

From the safety of the dropship, Professor Kagawa practically jumped for joy. He keyed the comm., “Tai-i, see if you could order your men to capture some of them alive.”
  “Are you joking?” Hamada was incredulous, “I’m sorry, we forgot to bring a bag of zip-ties with us. Perhaps one of us remembered the duct tape.” He made a face and cut off the transmission.

The Stinger rose into the air, its jumpjets roared, as did its heavy machineguns, tearing the pony-sized monsters apart. More of the creatures emerged from the ground and scattered squads of DCMS soldiers raked them with concentrated gunfire.

One platoon, covered by a pair of armored vehicles, made it to the safety of a two-story concrete building. They peered over the eerie terrain from atop the roof and could see large, floating creatures, bulbous and definitely alien.

The platoon sent to investigate what appeared to be an abandoned farm, slowly backed away when a dozen of the creatures emerged from the ground behind one of the smashed buildings. Grenades and bullets flew freely as the fanged monsters charged…

Tai-i Hamada hit the accelerator of his modified motorcycle and maneuvered through trees as a pair of the alien creatures loped after him. Of course, Yukio Kagawa, the journalist, shrieked as she felt the flashing claws and snapping teeth mere meters behind them as she clung to the officer as he pushed his motorcycle to its limits.
Fortunately for the couple, the crew of one of the machinegun-armed sidecar motorcycles was alert and at point-blank range, killed both of the ravenous monsters before they could overtake their commander.

One of the armored vehicles blew one of the drifting creatures out of the sky. Four of them descended near where the motorcycle scout team spotted a large pit earlier.
  “The floating things just disgorged more monsters!” reported one of the scouts. He spun his motorcycle around and sped away. There were scores of the shark-headed pony-sized creatures roving around what was once a Lyran Research Station.

A squad of soldiers managed to defeat the charge of five of the monsters while a machinegun team shot down four of them as they charged, the last one finally dying mere centimeters from the gunner.

Several of the shark-headed alien creatures fell as the heroic, determined DCMS soldiers reluctantly gave ground.

“Pull back to the two-story structure!” commanded Hamada. “It will be easier to make a stand there.”
  “We have to escape!” insisted Kagawa.
  The Kurita officer drew his vibro-sword, “I’m not leaving any of my men behind!”

Bratovich rolled his eyes at the cliché-filled dialogue and nearly jumped out his seat when he heard a loud yet feminine belch echo from a distant part of the theater.
  “Uta!”

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2019, 17:58:37 »
Ha, yeah, I see what you mean. I've used that idea too: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=64634.0

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2019, 18:41:02 »

Several cadets kicked back in the cool darkness of the holovid theater. Although they had just eaten, the youths loaded their trays with all manners of exotic snacks of buttered popcorn and sweet, carbonated drinks.

Colonel Manfred Richter, the commander of the renowned mercenary battalion, “Richter’s Raiders” held his submachine gun close. The back of his leather jacket bore a mural of an ancient Fokker triplane in flight, twin machineguns blazing at a Lucifer aerospace fighter trailing smoke. The town his company had entered was deserted, not a soul live or dead to be found. He had dismounted from his bright red Marauder and with his loyal team, explored on foot.

Richter: I don’t like it -this place is too quiet. (He puffs on his cigar)

O’Shea: Gee, boss, this place really gives me the creeps.

(Captain Tanya Korsakova, the Colonel’s executive officer, appears. Her waist-length blonde hair drifts in the slight breeze. She wears her coveralls, which are so tight that not only could you count the change in her pockets but also you could tell if they were heads or tails.)

Korsakova: Colonel, ve haf fount nozink to indicate vaht vent wronk.

Richter: Tell me something I don’t already know, Tanya. (He puffs on his cigar and then spits.)

Korsakova: I haf a feelink that ve are beink vatched.

(There is a distant scream. The camera shows one of the infantrymen being attacked by a large creature but it is too dark to make out what it may be. A close-up shows the Asian features of the terrified soldier, his face cut and bleeding.)

Richter: What the…! (He turns and runs in the direction of the scream, followed by O’Shea and Korsakova.)

(The three turn a corner and find Sergeant Joe Kowalski, the grizzled veteran of more battles than anyone could count, unloading his SMG into the darkness. The other infantrymen scramble in confusion.)

Kowalski: Dang bug took Chang! (He dumps a clip and reloads, blasting away.)

Richter: Sergeant, report!

(Kowalski moves into the shadows and drags out a human body, its uniform bloodied and torn. He angrily tosses a grenade down the alley. The others duck as the blast and flame illuminate the area for a moment.)

Kowalski: Colonel, sir… (He looks up and turns to face Richter.) We were patrolling this street and Chang said he heard something. He went into the alley and seconds later, he screamed.

Richter: (Looks down at the body, O’Shea looks up and shakes his head.) What in Hell was it?

O’Shea: It looked like a large bug. The thing bored into the Capellan’s head and sucked his brains clean out.

Korsakova: Vaht manner of creature are ve facink?

Richter: I don’t know, Tanya. (Close-up to his grim, rugged face.) Whatever that thing is, in half an hour it will be hungry again.

The cadets broke out in hysterical laughter, they stamped their feet and slapped at the soft, velvet-covered armrests. “Man, I really love this series!”

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 04 July 2019, 02:51:36 »
The "fiction within fiction" approach was (infamously) used for two German-only BattleTech novels, Die Albatros-Akte and Wiege der Basilisken.
Personally, I didn't like it because I felt the author used it as a vehicle to break out of the framework that defines BattleTech. It's like writing a magic fantasy story about sparkling vampires and sell it as a "fiction within fiction" BattleTech story. It still wouldn't be (feel like) BattleTech.
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 05 July 2019, 11:59:48 »
The "fiction within fiction" approach was (infamously) used for two German-only BattleTech novels, Die Albatros-Akte and Wiege der Basilisken.
Personally, I didn't like it because I felt the author used it as a vehicle to break out of the framework that defines BattleTech. It's like writing a magic fantasy story about sparkling vampires and sell it as a "fiction within fiction" BattleTech story. It still wouldn't be (feel like) BattleTech.

I'm wondering on the context the "Fiction in Fiction" (FiF) was used. I use FiF as a reflection of local culture and have edited them out when they took up too much room to publish online due to character limits. I use FiF as color but rarely as a key element to the primary plot, although the "play within a play" has been used as a key element to works such as "Hamlet". Context is what matters.

I would point to manga/anime examples, such as "Genshiken" a story about a college media club where the characters' favorite fiction was popular enough to generate novels and anime based on the FiF line.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 18 July 2019, 00:57:02 »
  Two weeks ago I had a mild heart attack. I say mild because it wasn't my first and nowhere near as painful as the worst one. Nonetheless, I spent a few days in the hospital for an artery cath and they discovered that I need bypass surgery, which is scheduled for the morning of July 22nd. I'm expected to spend between 2 to 5 days recovering, barring complications, but as a diabetic, my doctor is giving me 98%, which means 2% I don't wake up at all, and I don't even get to use my own dice.

I'm almost done with the next installment of "The Call of Ancient Blood" and I'm going to do my best to finish "The Cat and the Mirror" before my surgery. Ever the optimist,  I'll be taking my laptop to the hospital to keep writing, because my last stay was so boring...

If you don't hear from me by the end of the month, it was good knowing all of you and I'll be doing recon on the other side.

O ye'll take the high road and I'll take the low road
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye...

« Last Edit: 12 October 2019, 14:56:02 by Mohammed As`Zaman Bey »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 18 July 2019, 02:07:47 »
Uh... best wishes! Knocking on wood for you.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #16 on: 18 July 2019, 03:21:07 »
Indeed... best of luck!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 18 July 2019, 04:37:23 »
You don't even get to use the loaded dice, pity.
Good luck and worry about your health first the stories can come later. :beer:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #18 on: 18 July 2019, 07:06:29 »
Good luck, and best wishes for a quick recovery!
-Frederick the Great

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 18 July 2019, 16:05:43 »
May your stay be brief and recovery quick
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 18 July 2019, 17:19:14 »
A brief update: I just spent half the day (it was scheduled from 0830 to 1430 but they were super efficient today) going through the pre-operation tests, MRI work and the selection of suitable arteries for the bypass grafts and 30 minutes after I got home, the surgeon's office called to bump me to Wednesday due to a more urgent case. It's good to know that  somebody is worse off than I am...

As much as I appreciate the delay, I really want to get it over with because I'm looking at 2 to 3 months of rehab/recovery, with plenty of physical restrictions.

Another note: Due to the requirement to shave my neck for IV and face for the intubation (breathing tubes) I now sport mutton chops...I haven't shaved my face since 1989...

Thank you all for your support! I look forward to sitting at my computer more than I'm doing now...
« Last Edit: 18 July 2019, 17:40:37 by Mohammed As`Zaman Bey »

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 19 July 2019, 04:23:00 »
All the best for you an I will include you in my prayers.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #22 on: 20 July 2019, 15:38:28 »
A brief update: I just spent half the day (it was scheduled from 0830 to 1430 but they were super efficient today) going through the pre-operation tests, MRI work and the selection of suitable arteries for the bypass grafts and 30 minutes after I got home, the surgeon's office called to bump me to Wednesday due to a more urgent case. It's good to know that  somebody is worse off than I am...

As much as I appreciate the delay, I really want to get it over with because I'm looking at 2 to 3 months of rehab/recovery, with plenty of physical restrictions.

Another note: Due to the requirement to shave my neck for IV and face for the intubation (breathing tubes) I now sport mutton chops...I haven't shaved my face since 1989...

Thank you all for your support! I look forward to sitting at my computer more than I'm doing now...

Best of luck
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 29 July 2019, 09:29:01 »
  I may have to add a bypass surgery to my fiction, but so far, I've been making all the proper rolls and my recovery has been much faster than anticipated. I was in the ICU for 24 hours and moved to a regular room. All the most invasive tubes and needles have been removed and the meals have been decent.

Traumatic surgery induces the fight or flight mode in the body. Due to the release of sugars into my system, I was on an insulin drip for two days, until levels were stable. I'm expecting to be released today and still got an insulin shot, for good measure.

I'll be on a lot of physical restrictions for the next 2-3 months so, I plan to get in some writing time, including finishing my renaissance rapier manual.

As always, thank you for your continued support.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #24 on: 29 July 2019, 16:55:54 »
Glad to hear you made it!  :thumbsup:

Lyran Wolf

• Come the Millenial!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 29 July 2019, 17:25:30 »
Glad to hear from you.  May you have a speedy recovery.
CDT Agent #1000
Author - The Weight of a Name (Shrapnel #4), Hard Choices (Shrapnel #14)

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 30 July 2019, 00:49:13 »
Good to see that you managed to smuggle in those loaded dice. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 30 July 2019, 16:58:44 »
Good to see that you managed to smuggle in those loaded dice. :thumbsup:

My dice came through for me on most of the rolls...they missed the vital "Teen Malaysian Masseuses for Physical Therapy" roll...

Right now, after the main anesthetics have worn off, it even hurts to type, which means I may lay off the novels and work on outlines for a while.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 30 July 2019, 20:03:22 »
  My dice came through for me on most of the rolls...they missed the vital "Teen Malaysian Masseuses for Physical Therapy" roll...
But did they they totally crap out and get you Helga the former East German Masseuse?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 01 August 2019, 11:28:20 »
All the best from me for your speedy recovery - focus on that.

With the kind of surgery you have had, ANY kind of dice throw resulting in massage at this stage would have been a crap shoot. ;D

Register