Author Topic: Iron within...  (Read 1285 times)

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
Iron within...
« on: 30 May 2020, 01:54:56 »
Howdy!
I'm planning out a new unit using half of my new AGOAC box sets and I've had the idea to shamelessly  steal the scheme of one of my favorite 40K factions...the Iron Warriors
Has anyone  seen Btech minis painted this way? I tried to do an image search but I'm not sure how best to home in on the images I'm hoping exist! ( or on this forum??)
Thanks to anyone who's  Google fu is better than mine!
Oh, on a side note: are there any official units in Battletech that use an aged or corroded metal scheme like this (no need for the hazard stripes!)??
Again, thanks in advance!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Iron within...
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2020, 04:40:22 »
Nothing purely iron coloured; some with bare metal look, but always accents. Closest I can think of are:

Clan Wolf in exile Omega Galaxy is steel with bronze accents.
The MW:DA Jade Falcon galaxies are gunmetal with green accents.
Clan Smoke Jaguar Zeta Galaxy are gunmetal with red hightlights.

Whatever you do, avoid the Iron and Steel Guards (powder blue with purple edging ... even as a Leaguer, I'm not a fan at all, at all!)

Of course, you can always have a merc unit called the Iron Warriors. Simple methods for BT minis:

1) Base & prime black, then drybrush with iron/gunmetal
2) Base black, prime iron/gunmetal, apply black ink wash

How are you thinking of doing it?

(BTW, up to ""Heralds of the Seige" ...)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2020, 07:58:01 »
Clan Steel Viper Alpha galaxy might work best.
If not, try Camospecs http://www.camospecs.com/
Be warned, the site is painfully slow.

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2020, 13:34:09 »
The Ronin are half bare metal, half red.  Not the same, but hey, bare metal!
http://camospecs.com/Unit/Details/986/ronin

You could easily make up a poor mercenary or pirate group, or you could take any "historical" unit you want and have a small company of them get lost or stuck behind enemy lines for long enough to be unable to maintain appearances.  Maybe you're hiding in a sector under construction and have a lot of hazard striped metal panels lying around to make armor out of. 

I once painted up an 6mm-scale Contemptor in those colors (19mm tall).  The best way to making it look beaten is to shade it, do the black and yellow parts, and then stipple on (with a very dry brush) a dusty tan color over the whole thing, focusing on the horizontal surfaces.  Not on the hands and feet, and other leading edges - they'd be touching stuff and wearing down to bright metal.  Since that adds a warm tone to everything, I should have added some blue to the dark metallics in the shadows.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FoG8fWPvhgixGGjU9

General308

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2020, 15:32:54 »
Clan Steel Viper Alpha galaxy might work best.
If not, try Camospecs http://www.camospecs.com/
Be warned, the site is painfully slow.

It is like they are on dial up service or somethin

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2020, 17:01:32 »
Y'see, this is where people saying "How hard can it be to make a website" show their IT experience.

Short form, things handling large volumes (and the definition of "large" is very variable) need to be designed right. Things that work well for 10 can start to groan when it comes to 1,000, unless designed with 1,000 in mind. And that assumes you have the right tools in the first place. The last job I was at did a project that was phase 1 for about 100 transactions a month, phase 2 10,000. We told'em ... and they didn't bother to architect for phase 2, and phase 2 runs like a dog. And that's professional IT developers!  ::)

The old CSO website was done by a volunteer/volunteers using tools he/they knew. But as the site grew, performance dropped. CSO is purely a voluntary effort, so it's not a case of waving a magic wand (or dropping $10K) for something better. I believe something better is in the works - again, purely voluntarily.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2020, 19:16:29 »
Howdy!
I'm planning out a new unit using half of my new AGOAC box sets and I've had the idea to shamelessly  steal the scheme of one of my favorite 40K factions...the Iron Warriors
Has anyone  seen Btech minis painted this way? I tried to do an image search but I'm not sure how best to home in on the images I'm hoping exist! ( or on this forum??)
Thanks to anyone who's  Google fu is better than mine!
Oh, on a side note: are there any official units in Battletech that use an aged or corroded metal scheme like this (no need for the hazard stripes!)??
Again, thanks in advance!

Clan blood spirit navy is bare metal

General308

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2020, 19:50:09 »
Y'see, this is where people saying "How hard can it be to make a website" show their IT experience.

Short form, things handling large volumes (and the definition of "large" is very variable) need to be designed right. Things that work well for 10 can start to groan when it comes to 1,000, unless designed with 1,000 in mind. And that assumes you have the right tools in the first place. The last job I was at did a project that was phase 1 for about 100 transactions a month, phase 2 10,000. We told'em ... and they didn't bother to architect for phase 2, and phase 2 runs like a dog. And that's professional IT developers!  ::)

The old CSO website was done by a volunteer/volunteers using tools he/they knew. But as the site grew, performance dropped. CSO is purely a voluntary effort, so it's not a case of waving a magic wand (or dropping $10K) for something better. I believe something better is in the works - again, purely voluntarily.

Oh please don't miss understand me. I know I could not do better.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2020, 13:03:11 »
Nothing purely iron coloured; some with bare metal look, but always accents. Closest I can think of are:

Clan Wolf in exile Omega Galaxy is steel with bronze accents.
The MW:DA Jade Falcon galaxies are gunmetal with green accents.
Clan Smoke Jaguar Zeta Galaxy are gunmetal with red hightlights.

Whatever you do, avoid the Iron and Steel Guards (powder blue with purple edging ... even as a Leaguer, I'm not a fan at all, at all!)

Of course, you can always have a merc unit called the Iron Warriors. Simple methods for BT minis:

1) Base & prime black, then drybrush with iron/gunmetal
2) Base black, prime iron/gunmetal, apply black ink wash

How are you thinking of doing it?

(BTW, up to ""Heralds of the Seige" ...)

Thanks for posting some units. I was hoping someone had done this scheme before me... I'm a little apprehensive of how "cheesy" a mech would look going full Iron Warriors with all the over exaggerated corrosion and weathering. 😁 Basically I wanted to see if someone else made the mistake before I did!! 😆

As for how? I've painted about 3000 points worth of Iron Warriors traitor Marines so I'm an old hand at the process... Black primer, heavy drybrush of Tin Bits, successive layers of drybrush metals - Gunmetal, iron, steel - layering lighter as I go. Then wash and glazes for the corrosion and rust and leaking fluid stains. It's a fast and easy scheme.
I might cut back on the amount of staining and corrosion. As for the stripes, I for do red and black or red and white, or none at all, instead of the yellow and black. Undecided yet.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2020, 17:35:55 »
I think that'll look just fine!