Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 163200 times)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #1410 on: 21 May 2018, 19:47:23 »
I am now also watching Hinamatsuri.

I thought I had it figured out by the end of ep 2 but ep 3 went in an unexpected direction. Now I'm hooked.

Kind of an Alice to Zoroku with a younger & less respectable lead! It's been one of my favorites this season for sure! Why the hell didn't he adopt Anzu instead?  ;D

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1411 on: 21 May 2018, 21:40:16 »
Kind of an Alice to Zoroku with a younger & less respectable lead!

The comparison with Alice to Zoroku occurred to me as well!  8)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #1412 on: 22 May 2018, 07:47:33 »

OK, geeking out a bit here...

As you may know, the folks at Rooster Teeth are working on a new anime-inspired/"western anime"/however you want to phrase it  mecha series called gen:LOCK.

Well they just dropped a big announcement...  the lead will be voiced by Michael B. Jordan. 

http://deadline.com/2018/05/black-panther-michael-b-jordan-star-rooster-teeth-animated-series-genlock-1202394317/

For those of you who are Marvel series fans, Jordan played Killmonger in Black Panther

Apparently it turns out he's a big fan of anime and when the folks at RT approached him, he said an enthusiastic yes,  to the point that his production company is now co-producing it...
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1413 on: 22 May 2018, 09:03:14 »
VERY nice! I never really could muster any interest in RWBY, but I'll have to at least give gen:LOCK a try!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1414 on: 22 May 2018, 10:53:18 »
Okay I have to recommend Wakfu. I finished the season 3. The whole series is really good and entertaining.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1415 on: 22 May 2018, 13:19:08 »
Okay I have to recommend Wakfu. I finished the season 3. The whole series is really good and entertaining.
More details please. What genre is it?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1416 on: 22 May 2018, 13:44:00 »
Been watching Wakfu. Is this a french animation? I'm currently at start of Season 3. That's a damned rollercoaster ride.
Yup. Wakfu's a French product. They certainly have an appreciation for curves. (Like with this cheerleader bit

Wakfu's a Comic Fantasy, and not a parody comedy like most of them are.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1417 on: 22 May 2018, 14:39:16 »
sort of Wuxia fantasy, more fantasy side. It is extremely entertaining and I was surprise by how deep it was. I originally had it on my Tablet in background (as you would with music in background, because Im deaf) and I got absorbed in it. I love the characters, the world, the people, the stories.

Netflix put in these categories: TV Shows, Kids' TV, Kids' TV for ages 11 to 12, Kids' TV for ages 8 to 10, TV Cartoons.
And I can tell you, don't be fooled by these tags.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1418 on: 22 May 2018, 14:49:03 »
It appears that that Space Battleship Yamato 2202 going get fall Television show. So their breaking up the film series in to episodes.

I love Yamato, but it seems to be kinda weird way to flesh the series out.  Did they need ova/film series generate enough money for the television?

If people seen the ovas, why would they want 20 minute episode break up? I didn't see any indication additional footage is being added.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 12:31:27 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1419 on: 22 May 2018, 15:22:17 »
Think about it this way, next to no cost for animation since that's already done vs getting advertising for people to buy the series on BD.
So far sales have mostly been made through the theatrical release. The BDs only sold about 6-7k each - until they got somewhat macabre publicity when the assistant director died, volume 4 sold 14k when it was released on BD two weeks later.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1420 on: 22 May 2018, 16:59:37 »
Oh I forget to add, apparently when watching Wakfu you need to look for Wakfu: The Quest for the Six Eliatrope Dofus because that happens between Season 2 and 3. Didn't realize that was there until after I finished Season 3.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1421 on: 22 May 2018, 17:10:57 »
SBY 2202 is following the same pattern that was done with 2199: Release the eps in film format with a ep set-up BD following each and then near the end of the films, start airing them on TV.

At least right now FUNi is starting to stream the Dub for 2202. I believe it's two eps in right now.
Now if we could hear any word on the two 2199 specific films, that would be nice...

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #1422 on: 22 May 2018, 22:54:58 »
Been watching Wakfu. Is this a french animation? I'm currently at start of Season 3. That's a damned rollercoaster ride.

It is. I'm not sure if Ankara is a Japanese animation firm or not, though. But, it's a french cartoon. I'm watching it, too. Really like it, but I'm still in season 1.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1423 on: 22 May 2018, 23:50:18 »
Masako Sakano of Studio Ghibli worked on character layout for both Dofus and Wakfu for them, other than him about everyone on the animation team was French or Italian. Ankama Animation is a French company.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1424 on: 23 May 2018, 06:42:38 »
Crunchyroll should have ep 3 of 2202 up today (I'm pretty sure it posts on Wednesdays).
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1425 on: 23 May 2018, 10:21:25 »
It is. I'm not sure if Ankara is a Japanese animation firm or not, though. But, it's a french cartoon. I'm watching it, too. Really like it, but I'm still in season 1.
After you finish Season 2, find  Wakfu: The Quest for the Six Eliatrope Dofus because as I pointed out it happen BETWEEN Season 2 and 3. And it explain a lot of things in Season 3.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1426 on: 25 May 2018, 13:53:56 »
2199 and 2202 isn't available for me on crunchyroll because of lisensing issues :(

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1427 on: 25 May 2018, 14:30:27 »
There was a show I found on Netflix: Nura.  Boy turns out to be the grandson of the leader of the yokai yakuza and has to make a name for himself.  I liked it, mostly because the main character was pretty smart, but Netflix only has the first season and the final episode is nothing but a recap of the season.  The heck?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1428 on: 26 May 2018, 22:46:11 »
After you finish Season 2, find  Wakfu: The Quest for the Six Eliatrope Dofus because as I pointed out it happen BETWEEN Season 2 and 3. And it explain a lot of things in Season 3.

Thanks for the heads-up. I had to inquire about the pony movies, too, because that's kinda important, as well. Not surprised that other cartoons have season-break movies to fill gaps.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1429 on: 26 May 2018, 23:03:01 »
Based on recommendations here, I started watching Wakfu.  Enjoying it so far (about 2/3rds of the way through the first season), but two things bugged me so far: having three episodes devoted to the sports game really made it drag on too long, and that Amalia seemed to have gotten her personality abruptly changed into a more stereotypical girly-girl who's obsessed with fashion at the same time.  Thankfully it seems that that aspect of her character was largely dropped by the time they get to the island.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #1430 on: 29 May 2018, 12:09:16 »
Amalia's 13 in season 1 (yes, really). She's allowed to be flighty :D
I enjoy the Boufball eps myself, so they were never much of an issue to me.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1431 on: 30 May 2018, 03:11:01 »
I noticed that it started to get really epic after the Gobbowl tournament, and it didn't really let up. I like what they did for Percival. Just finished first season, so we'll so how things pick up tomorrow.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1432 on: 30 May 2018, 11:42:37 »
Amalia's 13 in season 1 (yes, really). She's allowed to be flighty :D

I don't mind her being flighty, it's just weird that a barefoot jungle princess who wears leaves suddenly starts going gaga over dresses and shoes.

I noticed that it started to get really epic after the Gobbowl tournament, and it didn't really let up. I like what they did for Percival. Just finished first season, so we'll so how things pick up tomorrow.

I just started on Season 2 last night.  Percival is really well done: it's not often you have a show with an idiot hero who actually balances being the stupid comic relief with actually being a credible fighter that well.  I half expected his battle cry to be "Let's get dangerous!"

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1433 on: 30 May 2018, 13:09:52 »
You have lost me: what anime are you talking about? Who is Amalia and what is her 13?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1434 on: 30 May 2018, 13:11:57 »
I don't mind her being flighty, it's just weird that a barefoot jungle princess who wears leaves suddenly starts going gaga over dresses and shoes.
If you looked at who were her hand"maidens", you wouldn't be surprised at her inflated sense of fashion. Then there's that the cartoon is apparently tagged by Netflix for audience of around 10-12 yrs old, so falling on stereotypes a bit firmly is what they thought was the best. At least she mature as a character.

Matti: Wakfu.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1435 on: 30 May 2018, 14:35:52 »
You have lost me: what anime are you talking about? Who is Amalia and what is her 13?

We're talking about Wakfu.  Amalia is one of the main characters and she's 13 years old.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #1436 on: 30 May 2018, 14:39:29 »
Wakfu. It's not really an anime but there's a heavy anime influence.
One of the characters is named Amalia, and her age is 13.

Then there's that the cartoon is apparently tagged by Netflix for audience of around 10-12 yrs old, so falling on stereotypes a bit firmly is what they thought was the best. At least she mature as a character.
Heh. I gotta admit that rating kinda throws me a bit. I'd have figured they'd tag it 14-16+, due to the family situation a couple characters get into later.

That said, the background is explicitly written so characters tend to silo into certain archetypes involving personality and behavior. This did start out as a MMORPG, after all. it actually part of the world's religion/mythology.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2018, 14:41:58 by Istal_Devalis »

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1437 on: 30 May 2018, 15:08:24 »
Kinda spoiler but here is the Timeline
Season 2 is a year after Season 1 (events of Season 1 took that much time to transpire)
Wakfu: The Quest for the Six Eliatrope Dofus is 6 years after Season 2
Presumably Season 3 is some time after that.

That said, the background is explicitly written so characters tend to silo into certain archetypes involving personality and behavior. This did start out as a MMORPG, after all. it actually part of the world's religion/mythology.
MMORPG started development in 2006, was released in 2012. The 1st season was aired on 2008.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2018, 15:12:11 by HobbesHurlbut »

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #1438 on: 31 May 2018, 11:25:21 »
Wakfu came out in 2012 true, but Dofus came out in 2004. Same universe. They've had this stuff on their minds for quite a while.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1439 on: 01 June 2018, 06:44:02 »
I am so lost what you guys are tlaking about.  ??? ???
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki