Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: BattleTech Beginner Box and BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat  (Read 104249 times)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
My point, or maybe desire, is that CGL better manages things so that they don't need to rush ship things from China, because it seems that every GenCon they rush to ship a small number of new books from China which sell out seemingly instantly and then the rest don't arrive for several months. It might mean going a GenCon without some shiny new book to drop, but in the long run it's probably for the better as the current system generates a decent amount of negative PR.

Going to GenCon without anything "shiny new" is a great way to start rumors of the company's imminent demise. CGL simply will not do that. In my whole time with them, GC prep always came down to the wire and we ALWAYS needed to emergency ship something. So, the history does not exactly work in favor of your desires.

But, hey, what do I know these days?

- Herb

Louie N

• Lieutenant
hello again,

When the box sets are released will we be able to mail order from Catalyst direct or another vendor?

Thanks

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
hello again,

When the box sets are released will we be able to mail order from Catalyst direct or another vendor?

Thanks
Pretty sure before next GenCon.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
hello again,

Thanks

The boxes are set to be a general retail release, so they should be available in stores, from web retailers and direct from CGL
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Going to GenCon without anything "shiny new" is a great way to start rumors of the company's imminent demise. CGL simply will not do that. In my whole time with them, GC prep always came down to the wire and we ALWAYS needed to emergency ship something. So, the history does not exactly work in favor of your desires.

Point is: that's a crap way to run a business.
It doesn't have to be that way. People act like it's avoidable. I assure you: it's not.

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
And back on track. For now, the conversation regarding the shipping of box sets is over.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Just gonna butt in here for a second.
I keep seeing references to “new” management and their “transparency” and generally better communications and such.
No. That’s all thanks to the thankless Herculean efforts of Cubby.
He deserves the lions share of the credit, but I’ll also add Chris C. and Amy D. for keeping our day-to-to social media responsive, as well as all our product developers for working with Cubby.
For “new” management, myself included, it’s business as usual and you shouldn’t attribute any of this to us. Me, I’m incredibly thankful for his help.

Wish I had some dates for y’all, but I don’t. The box sets are physically being produced as we speak, and when there is some more solid information we’ll let you know.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Point is: that's a crap way to run a business.
It doesn't have to be that way. People act like it's avoidable. I assure you: it's not.

I am probably not allowed to comment further on that.

- Herb

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
I keep seeing references to “new” management and their “transparency” and generally better communications and such.
He deserves the lions share of the credit, but I’ll also add Chris C. and Amy D. for keeping our day-to-to social media responsive, as well as all our product developers for working with Cubby.
For “new” management, myself included, it’s business as usual and you shouldn’t attribute any of this to us. Me, I’m incredibly thankful for his help.

Wish I had some dates for y’all, but I don’t. The box sets are physically being produced as we speak, and when there is some more solid information we’ll let you know.

Aw, shucks. Thanks, buddy.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel

Cubby, you're my hero :) :smitten:
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
Almost certainly, but that's every con. Conventions don't generally profit a company, as it basically costs more in fees, booth equipment, room rentals, and shipping of inventory...than what they could ever make in sales. Toss in rush orders on product that wasn't quite ready for full-scale production and...yeah, cons are loss leaders.

- Herb

Seems like a no win situation then.  At Origins this year Paizo didn't have a booth, despite the HUGE Pathfinder turn out.  I was wondering "How can they not have a booth?  You liked our games?  Well, uh, head on down to the convention floor, I'm sure somebody is selling it, somewhere."  Still always good to have some insight.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
My point, or maybe desire, is that CGL better manages things so that they don't need to rush ship things from China, because it seems that every GenCon they rush to ship a small number of new books from China which sell out seemingly instantly and then the rest don't arrive for several months.
I've been going to GC since 2011, and aside from dice and shirts, I don't recall them selling out of anything else.  I guess the best thing for CGL would be to not bother rushing ANYTHING to GC, and just release everything when the entire production run is available.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
I've been going to GC since 2011, and aside from dice and shirts, I don't recall them selling out of anything else.
Well, despite your not having seen it, they do. Often. Of many items. Every year.

I guess the best thing for CGL would be to not bother rushing ANYTHING to GC, and just release everything when the entire production run is available.
Can you please explain why not selling items that are available directly (no distributor or retailer cuts) to people who want them and have money is a better business decision? ???
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Seems like a no win situation then. 

Such is their lot.

- Herb

Marc C

• Corporal
I'm new to this game and not «frothing at the mouth» but eagerly waiting for the 2 new boxes which I will buy from my local store because I still believe in brick & mortar. I read the official news on Catalyst's website. I did my research using FB Groups, G+ Groups and this forum. Its quite easy to do and everyone has been very helpful.

As for promotion of the new boxes its not like in the 90s. I for one have made several posts in local FB wargaming groups. I suspect many people have done the same. These posts have created interest in new and veteran players. I'm hoping we can get a group of players going in October when the boxes hit the selves.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2018, 07:09:16 by Marc C »
________________________________________________________________________________
RPG played : B/X • AD&D1e, AD&D2e, D&D3e, D&D5E • Star Frontiers • Star Wars WEG • D20 Modern • Star Wars Saga • Numenara • Ashen Stars • Coriolis the Third Horizon • Modern AGE
________________________________________________________________________________
WARGAMES played : Starfire • Cars Wars • Ogre/GEV • MechWarrior Dark Ages • 40K • Infinity • SAGA Dark Ages • Freebooters Fate • Pulp City • Dropzone Commander • Gates of Antares • BSG Space Battles

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
I for one have made several posts in local FB wargaming groups. I suspect many people have done the same. These posts have created interest in new and veteran players. I'm hoping we can get a group of players going in October when the boxes hit the selves.

Much appreciated! That's as much as we can ask any customer to do. Plus, it has the benefit of hopefully giving you some people to play with regularly.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
I asked my local store when they were  going to get the new boxes and I got a collection of blank stares... 😁 since they sold their last intro box two years ago, they hadn't been paying any attention to current Battletech progress and one of them assumed Battletech had just quietly disappeared. I told them about the new boxes and they googled the pics and other info and about the new  timeline books. They got all excited and plan to stock the new stuff this fall. 😊 they want to demo the boxes and organize a "Solaris League" like the olden days.
Hopefully the new sets will get the fires of war re-lit for Battletech, at least locally! As fans, it's our duty to stoke the hype-train!!!  :thumbsup:

Sigil

• Lieutenant
I mentioned the upcoming Box Sets to the owners of my local gaming shop.  And, of course, I told my friends to mention it as well.  It must have piqued their interest as they wrote me back to tell me they couldn't get it yet, but they would let me know when they can manage to get it in stock.  I also noted, DragonFire suddenly appeared after I mentioned Catalyst Game Labs too ;)  Come on CGL, get these things out the door!

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
I've been talking with the lady at my game store about the new box sets, off and on, because I asked if I could preorder them a few months ago. The last time I was there, she brought up that they had some for sale at Gen Con. Very cool that she's been keeping an eye on them!

The guy behind me in line seemed surprised, but excited to hear that they were coming out with new sets. Apparently he had a passing interest in BT in years past. So there's definitely a growing interest locally!

Anyway, we are duty bound to stoke the fires of the hype train!  :thumbsup:
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
Can you please explain why not selling items that are available directly (no distributor or retailer cuts) to people who want them and have money is a better business decision? ???
Because that way there are no long rants by BT "Fans", whining and crying about how CGL is doing this or that wrong for not catering to their every whim.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Pissing off your distributors is not a viable business strategy.

Edit:

To expand on this, there have been several cases where companies have tried to go direct and get rid of distributors, the problem is that after an initial surge, the distributors refused to do business with them, and they fell soon after.

IRL The computer retailed NCIX in Canada tried to eliminate the distributor and go direct to manufacturers. After the distributors found out about this, they demanded cash up front for goods (Normally that would be NET30 or NET60 items), which helped bankrupt NCIX, and they never had stock because they needed money to order it.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2018, 09:57:49 by RoundTop »
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
Passing off your distributors is not a viable business strategy

This.

“Eliminating the middle man, never as simple as it sounds. About 50% of the human race is middlemen and they don’t take kindly to being eliminated.”
– Mal Reynolds, Firefly
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
Update on New BattleTech Box Sets

With convention season behind us, the Catalyst team wanted to provide an update on two hotly-anticipated BattleTech products, the “BattleTech Beginner Box” and “BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat” boxed sets.

Just before PAX West, we were surprised to learn we would not be receiving additional rush-delivered copies of the two boxed sets.  What’s more, despite being in near-constant contact with the overseas manufacturer throughout August, it is clear they have not shipped the production runs as expected.

As such, we wanted to let customers and retailers alike know that the two products will not be available by the end of the third quarter of 2018 as we’d planned. While this news is as disappointing to our team as it is to you, we wanted to ensure you had the most up-to-date information possible.

We continue to work with the manufacturer to get both box sets in stores as soon as possible. Once the production run ships and clears customs, we will have a reasonable estimate for a release date of the two products.

Until then, we appreciate your patience and understanding, and your continued support of BattleTech.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
WOW I'M SHOCKED!  :o

Whatever. Wouldn't be a BattleTech product if it wasn't delayed until the hype is gone. Won't even be surprised if we don't get it one year from now.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

abou

• Captain
Third quarter is ending soon anyway. As long as they make it in time for Christmas, it shouldn't be THAT big a deal. Fourth fiscal quarter starts in October so no one should be lighting their hair on fire.

pheonixstorm

• Major
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Reldn

• Lieutenant
*sighs* Even though I should be used to this due to two KS projects I backed having the exact same issue at the moment. It's still extremely disheartening. Thank you for being up-front and keeping us up to date, though. That is greatly appreciated.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
They’ll get here eventually. The cynical fatalism at this point is as tired as a meme from 2010

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
The cynical fatalism at this point is as tired as a meme from 2010

I wish the rest of the internet would realize that.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
I was with Brent at pax. They found out the Tuesday before pax that after being told for weeks the it was the next job in queue.

Queue posted off people. The trade war stuff is causing Chinese manufacturers to play around with orders.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Register