Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: AS7-D-H* Atlas II  (Read 61013 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: ’Mech of the Week: AS7-D-H* Atlas II
« Reply #210 on: 27 June 2020, 20:05:22 »
Technically the Stone model is a modern variant.

But who knows maybe we will get something from Defiance in the 3100's in some future product.
You have a point. The fluff from TRO:3075 had said Defiance kept the Mech in production after the Blakist kicked off production and were kicked out of the Mountain.

However, the cut backs in Mech production were cut when Stone's treaty was signed. Question was if Hesperus was effected. I remember Flight of the Falcon novel mentioning Hesperus was still producing mechs at it's original pace unlike rest of the Inner Sphere. I would have reread it since it's been YEARS since i read the novel.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #211 on: 12 January 2021, 22:16:37 »
For those who have modified their atlas ii to the Nicholas kerensky version which Gauss arm do you use?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #212 on: 13 January 2021, 13:44:58 »
For those who have modified their atlas ii to the Nicholas kerensky version which Gauss arm do you use?

The official stats for Nick K's Atlas II is in Operational Turning Points: Widowmaker Absorption. Turns out he used a AS7-D-H that was later upgraded with Clan Tech so no Gauss as many of us guessed prior to TP:WA
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #213 on: 13 January 2021, 13:59:56 »
The official stats for Nick K's Atlas II is in Operational Turning Points: Widowmaker Absorption. Turns out he used a AS7-D-H that was later upgraded with Clan Tech so no Gauss as many of us guessed prior to TP:WA

?!? No guass?! Another myth from nicholas...

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #214 on: 13 January 2021, 14:07:33 »
Why was there a myth of him having a Gauss Rifle?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #215 on: 13 January 2021, 14:13:55 »
Why was there a myth of him having a Gauss Rifle?

Oh I was just kidding! For the guass and ppc atlas ii what bits would work for a quick arm swap? The guass arm from the executioner but what about the ppc?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #216 on: 13 January 2021, 14:47:03 »
For the AS7-D-H2? you would just need to free up the LB-X and Large Laser vs the whole arm. I know fan bashes exsist but they are far and few between I can't find any info on what parts the use for the PPC and Gauss. Personally, I would go with the Gauss from the Reseen Battlemaster and a PPC from a Mad II to keep it constant with other assaults. You can also use Omni parts from IWM if you want it to look more Clan. I'm sure the mini section of the forum has more ideas. 

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #217 on: 02 February 2021, 13:09:15 »
For the AS7-D-H2? you would just need to free up the LB-X and Large Laser vs the whole arm. I know fan bashes exsist but they are far and few between I can't find any info on what parts the use for the PPC and Gauss. Personally, I would go with the Gauss from the Reseen Battlemaster and a PPC from a Mad II to keep it constant with other assaults. You can also use Omni parts from IWM if you want it to look more Clan. I'm sure the mini section of the forum has more ideas.

Hmmm I could do a straight arm swaps from the highlander iic...

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #218 on: 02 February 2021, 13:47:31 »
Oh, since this is resurrected...

Mixed feelings on the Atlas II. Feels like an upgrade that fixes most of the original Atlas' short comings though at the expense of shock value (and that can be restored with the H2 variant), and feels very Star Leagueish to me. Also like the looks, though LB-X represented with a rotary cannon feels weird.
But moving forward to the Jihad, it feels lackluster. I mean, the Steiners were making superb Atlas-S2s and -S3s, especially the latter!, at Hesperus and the Word of Blake figured they'd rather have this?
As a reminder, the AS7-S3 sports a Gauss Rifle, twin PPCs, a LRM-15 with Artemis, a Guardian ECM, and an AMS with 19 tons of armor (and a trio of small lasers), while the AS7-S2 has ER large lasers and a Heavy Gauss Rifle but no AMS. Sure, the price is a Light Fusion Engine, but it is a well protected and focused long-range variant. The Atlas II is not focused nor as well protected.
And then the Steiners went and kept the Atlas II in production instead of reverting to their fine creation -S3? Nor did they reinstate the -H2 variant, or tinker with the Atlas II more. So disappointing.

Incidentally, the Atlas-RS feels like it is a low-tech attempt to ape the Atlas II, though i suppose in real world the Atlas II might be mimicking the -RS...

As for the AS7-D-HT... it is OK. Runs a bit hot, but alternating one ER laser with the LRM-20 works for long-range reasonably. Think i like it more than the baseline Atlas II, or even the -H2 variant (effective if boring). And it can be upgraded perfectly with an UAC/20, 4 tons of ammo, and extra heat sink at the expense of MPLs.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #219 on: 02 February 2021, 17:45:21 »
The RS is actually fluffed as an attempt at mimicking the 7D-H using Low-Tech.

The H2, to me, is where the design really shined, removes all the heat issues while concentrating the damage into bigger holes.
It doesn't crit hunt or do AAA as well, but, those are the functions of other mechs.

Taking that model into the modern age would be as easy as using a Streak-4, Artemis-LRMs, ERMLs, & adding C3S.

Or go a little further & drop the SRMs entirely for X-Pulse, CASE-II, and more DHS.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #220 on: 02 February 2021, 17:59:01 »
The RS is actually fluffed as an attempt at mimicking the 7D-H using Low-Tech.
Where's this actually noted?
TRO3039 makes no mention of that, and the Atlas II isn't mentioned in many places from what i recall.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #221 on: 02 February 2021, 18:02:42 »
RS is one of the downgrades from the SW books- if noting else check the MUL
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #222 on: 02 February 2021, 18:07:47 »
-RS been around as a record sheet for quite a while, well before the newest Succession War sourcebooks. Hence me wondering where its relation to the Atlas II is stated.

EDIT Looks like Sarna claims the RS is based on Atlas II but doesn't have actual source. Both sources refer to record sheets, which lack fluff of any kind.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2021, 18:13:04 by Empyrus »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #223 on: 02 February 2021, 18:36:06 »
The RS was first mentioned in the 1980's House Davion Sourcebook circa 3025, IIRC
There is also a TRO:3025 mention of an Atlas w/ LLs in the variants section, IIRC.

The 2 were never actually linked as being the same thing till the RS was published.
I don't recall where the RS was originally published, just that it showed up one day at one of our games.
Seemed like something TPTB did as a "clean up" effort to me.

As for where the Atlas-II link is from, I'm probably remembering that quote from Sarna, so I'm not sure the source of it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #224 on: 02 February 2021, 18:38:09 »
The record sheet showed up in Record Sheet's 3039.  Don't think I saw it anywhere before then.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #225 on: 02 February 2021, 18:44:53 »
Makes sense, I think they did a few of the known but no stats mechs from the era there.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #226 on: 02 February 2021, 23:52:13 »
...and feels very Star Leagueish to me.

It is fluffed as the pinnacle of SLDF Atlas models.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #227 on: 03 February 2021, 02:11:31 »
It is fluffed as the pinnacle of SLDF Atlas models.
That comment was because some of the Star League upgrades/'Mechs don't feel like Star League. Okay, that may sound weird but bunch of Royals are made with modern understanding of the game and throwing away the haphazard way many earlier 'Mechs were designed. Simply put, they're too fine!
That said, after poorly slept night, i'm feeling like i should've said "doesn't feel Star League really but i like it all the same, in as much as i can due to my generally mixed feelings".

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #228 on: 03 February 2021, 02:46:11 »
Yeah, every subsequent release of supposedly pre-SW Mechs do heavily feature compatibility with newer rulesets.

That comment was because some of the Star League upgrades/'Mechs don't feel like Star League. Okay, that may sound weird but bunch of Royals are made with modern understanding of the game and throwing away the haphazard way many earlier 'Mechs were designed. Simply put, they're too fine!
That said, after poorly slept night, i'm feeling like i should've said "doesn't feel Star League really but i like it all the same, in as much as i can due to my generally mixed feelings".

No worries :beer:

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #229 on: 03 February 2021, 09:53:16 »
You know, it occurs to me, 1 way to rationalize how the "newer" RS/TRO show "better" SLDF era mechs, is that the ones we had from TRO3050 were the ones that lasted the longest into the SW with their lower demands on tech levels.
Or perhaps were the more mass produced models.

Stuff that was an XL, DHS, FFA, ER/Pulse to the gills baby was only discovered later as we found more records in uncovered SLDF archives &/or as mass production of SLDF tech hit even higher levels in the Houses.

Perhaps it went out of production sooner as the SW broke out & as such didn't have blueprints & repair plans being produced & copied or used as often since less samples of the mech existed & repair parts were even more scarce.

I guess you could say, if I have 1 XL & 5 tons of Endo & 20 tons of Ferro on hand........ Do I repair the mech that needs all 3,  or,  do I spread it out over a Guillotine, a Champion, & a Flashman to keep 3 mechs going  (I don't actually recall if the Flashman has Endo/Ferro or not but I know it has XL so not sure on that example)

So do you want 1 Uber Mech & 3 Intro Techs,  or,  3 Lesser SLDF mechs & 1 Intro Tech to form your lance from.

Anyway, just a possible "in universe" reason for the tech explosion of later TRO's for SLDF era mechs.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #230 on: 05 February 2021, 20:22:06 »
Come to think of it, wouldn't the Clans want make a Atlas II C?
It would certainly fitting for them.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #231 on: 05 February 2021, 20:42:24 »
They might not have had enough Atlas IIs survive to be upgraded.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #232 on: 05 February 2021, 21:19:23 »
Rec Guides will more likely give us a refit of the standard Atlas, which is how the Atlas II got it's start.

Other than Nicky K's ride, a Atlas II with a HAG would have been interesting but we also get that on the Atlas AS7-D2 aka the Atlas III paired with a Streak LRM 20, Brrrrrt!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #233 on: 09 March 2022, 19:32:30 »
I am not a fan of its looks as well. It lacks the foreboding appearance of the original. It just looks kinda goofy.

I always felt that way too. Has any one seen the new atlas ii model it looks a lot better but I have not seen it next too other models

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #234 on: 16 March 2022, 16:20:37 »
I always felt that way too. Has any one seen the new atlas ii model it looks a lot better but I have not seen it next too other models

Ideally I would be curious about Picts between the new and old Atlas II

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #235 on: 16 March 2022, 16:43:59 »
Few picks I have seen of the new mini by itself look great.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #236 on: 17 March 2022, 06:21:52 »
Few picks I have seen of the new mini by itself look great.
[/quote

Same! It finally has the bulkiness I feel the unit warranted

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #237 on: 18 March 2022, 04:29:21 »
So a couple of things:

1. The Atlas II doesn't need rear firing weapons, the SLDF didn't do the low intensity conflict we get on the board, a battalion level attack on a position by them would likely have a screen of infantry in front, followed by three companies of 'Mechs in lines abreast, the first is King Crab's, the second Atlas II's, and the third is Archer's, with a company of Alacorn's on the wings to stop people trying to flank them.

2. The AS7-D-H Kerensky, didn't Kerensky die before any of the Clan-tech in the build could be invented?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #238 on: 18 March 2022, 09:23:30 »
It was Nicholas's ride.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #239 on: 18 March 2022, 10:56:32 »
It was Nicholas's ride.
I don't think it was originally, it wasn't detailed.  It was straight up Atlas (no C or IICs around yet.) but i may been misreembering.  Atlas II fluff was retrocon of sorts, the Atlas II was around but nothing about it or it's stats in the original books.

Register