Author Topic: (Answered) Carrying Cargo  (Read 3085 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
(Answered) Carrying Cargo
« on: 04 March 2017, 16:34:53 »
The various citations I'm looking at are:
Total Warfare, pages 136-137 (Under "Lift Hoists")
Total Warfare, pages 226-227 (Under "Mechanized Battle Armor")
Total Warfare, pages 260-261 (Under "Cargo Carriers"), as amended by the below errata
Total Warfare Errata v4.3, pages 43-44 (Under "Cargo Carriers")
Tech Manual, page 245 (Under "Lift Hoist/Arresting Hoist")

Apart from this collection of rules being scattered across four places in two books, it appears to be in conflict with itself in several ways:

1) The Lift Hoist rules imply the maximum amount of tonnage that can be carried is limited only by the number of Lift Hoists mounted on the unit.  This is not a problem for 'mechs, as they're limited to two Lift Hoists (thus yielding the tonnage of the unit as the maximum, as stated in the Cargo Carrier rules on pages 260-261, potentially doubled for TSM).  For Combat and Support Vehicles, though, it seems the limit is twice the unit's tonnage (since they can mount up to four Lift Hoists), thus conflicting with the limits on pages 260-261.  It's possible (but unlikely) that the intent was to allow Lift Hoists to carry cargo separate from other "external cargo", which would theoretically make it possible to carry 300% the weight of the unit.  So the question here is "How much external cargo can a Combat or Support Vehicle actually carry?"

2) The rules for "'Mech Lifting Capabilities" state a 'mech lifting 10% or less of its tonnage takes no movement penalty.  This seems fine as an exception to the cargo carrying rules right up until you factor in Mechanized Battle Armor, as OmniVehicles take no movement penalty, just like OmniMechs, which would seem to imply Combat Vehicles (at least) should also be able to carry 10% external cargo without penalty.  Question: "Can Combat Vehicles carry up to 10% of their weight as external cargo without penalty?"

3) The rules for "Mech Lifting Capabilities" state a 'mech lifting up to 10% of its tonnage takes no movement penalty, yet a non-OmniMech takes a -1 MP penalty for carrying Mechanized Battle Armor, apparently regardless of their tonnage. Question: "Does a non-Omnimech carrying a Battle Armor unit that weighs less than 10% of the 'mechs weight take a movement penalty?"

If this has all been sorted out in the BMM, great, I look forward to seeing the final version.  If not, a clarification just might merit inclusion.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2017, 05:53:22 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Carrying Cargo
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2017, 05:52:37 »
Yep, p.227:

"Standard units carrying battle armor
equipped with magnetic clamps receive a –1 MP modifier to
their Walking/Cruising MP."

AFTER THIS ADD:

"The Mech lifting Capabilities (p.261) rules do not affect this penalty."

This will be in the upcoming errata.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Re: (Answered) Carrying Cargo
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2017, 16:24:53 »
Thanks Xotl!  That takes care of question 3... I look forward to 1 and 2...

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2017, 16:32:08 »
Right, thanks.

1: 200% their own mass.  Somehow.

2: No.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2017, 17:19:20 »
No, thank YOU!  ;D

Seriously, I think the "somehow" for #1 is the four lift hoist method (and ONLY that way).

As for 2, bummer, but thanks for the clarification.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2017, 11:45:02 »
Sorry to reopen this thread Xotl, but the "Battle Armor ??s" thread in General Discussion got me thinking again.  At what point does a Battle Armor "unit" cease being cargo for purposes of a 'mech carrying it (i.e., when exactly does the -1 MP kick in)?  Is it when it's "turned on", or simply when a conscious pilot is aboard (even if powered down)?  Or is it if the BA uses its magnetic clamps vice being "held" by the 'mech?  What about BA without magnetic clamps?  Can they be picked up by a non-Omni 'mech in any situation?

It may be worthwhile to expand the "Mechanized BA" rule to mean a "squad or point" inflicts no movement penalty on an Omni, but otherwise the cargo rules apply.  This could allow an IS lance to carry a four-suit squad (1 suit each, vice one squad/point each for Omnis).  In this case, magnetic clamps might make a difference in how carried BA could deploy from non-Omni units (dropped cargo ends the turn in the hex where it was dropped, as I recall; clamps or deploying from an Omni could allow them to move instead).