Author Topic: Far Cry 5: Share the Insanity  (Read 31493 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Far Cry 5: Share the Insanity
« Reply #300 on: 12 June 2018, 18:47:29 »
So this week's Live Event: easy and a good reward.

Challenge: kill 4 bears with handguns.  Reward: .50 caliber pistol.e  It's a semi-auto, too, not a revolver.

Just go to a black bear area on the map and toss some bait.  If it takes you five minutes to complete the challenge you're not trying hard enough.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #301 on: 13 June 2018, 08:14:14 »
So this week's Live Event: easy and a good reward.

Challenge: kill 4 bears with handguns.  Reward: .50 caliber pistol.e  It's a semi-auto, too, not a revolver.

Just go to a black bear area on the map and toss some bait.  If it takes you five minutes to complete the challenge you're not trying hard enough.

As much as I love me some heavy pistols in video games, this is definitely one I'll take a few minutes for.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #302 on: 19 June 2018, 13:24:17 »
And this week's challenge is...40 minutes in the Arcade, yet again. The reward is some garish bullpup, looks like one of those Chinese guns that FPS games love so much.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #303 on: 19 June 2018, 14:05:13 »
And this week's challenge is...40 minutes in the Arcade, yet again. The reward is some garish bullpup, looks like one of those Chinese guns that FPS games love so much.

Awesome, I tend to do a couple of hours in there on Tuesday nights with GhostBear anyway.

I earned last week's .50 pistol, but haven't yet even test-fired it. Any good? Anyone?

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #304 on: 19 June 2018, 14:23:36 »
Awesome, I tend to do a couple of hours in there on Tuesday nights with GhostBear anyway.

I earned last week's .50 pistol, but haven't yet even test-fired it. Any good? Anyone?

I one-shotted a random cultist at about 150 meters with it today, so...yeah, it's okay. :D I'm just annoyed that Ubisoft continues to think that .50 BMG and .50 AE are the same round. ::)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #305 on: 19 June 2018, 14:36:15 »
I one-shotted a random cultist at about 150 meters with it today, so...yeah, it's okay. :D I'm just annoyed that Ubisoft continues to think that .50 BMG and .50 AE are the same round. ::)

I'd guess it's for ease of coding rather than having two kinds of .50 in the game (that most gamers won't really understand the difference between), easier to just say .50 and be done with it. Note that Fallout 3 did the same- assault rifle ammo was the same whether the American or Chinese style (to say nothing of games like GTA V!)

+Crow T. Robot+

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #306 on: 19 June 2018, 15:43:31 »
I'd guess it's for ease of coding rather than having two kinds of .50 in the game (that most gamers won't really understand the difference between), easier to just say .50 and be done with it. Note that Fallout 3 did the same- assault rifle ammo was the same whether the American or Chinese style (to say nothing of games like GTA V!)

All rifle ammo in Far Cry 5 is the same - aside from .50 - regardless if the rifle feeds 5.56mm (AR), 7.62x39mm (AK-47), 7.62mm NATO, 7.62x54R (Dragunov), or .45-70, but you can't share ammo between the M60 and .308 hunting rifle. :D I figure it's for game balance - having a reliable one-shot-kill pistol with 70+ rounds (like the other pistols) would immediately make the not-Desert Eagle the best gun in the game. It also can't mount a silencer, by the way.

(I should note that I don't really mind this convention. I tried a Fallout New Vegas mod that gave each weapon unique ammo, along with reloading components, and it was No Fun.)

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #307 on: 19 June 2018, 15:48:36 »
*thinks back to the myriad of weapons in FO:NV and its DLCs*

*...contemplates killing self before ever using that mod*

+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #308 on: 19 June 2018, 17:08:53 »
The Bullpup rifle sucks.  It's basically an SMG with AR range.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #309 on: 12 July 2018, 00:08:43 »
Well, after several weeks of lackluster Weekly Challenge rewards (last week's was a P08 pistol, which would have been cool if pistols weren't so pathetically useless in this game), this week we get something awesome.  An MG42 machine gun.

Sadly it doesn't have the VRRRRP! firing sound of the real gun, but it's quite a spectacular weapon.  It's got a high rate of fire but simultaneously has great accuracy.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #310 on: 12 July 2018, 17:45:04 »
Well, after several weeks of lackluster Weekly Challenge rewards (last week's was a P08 pistol, which would have been cool if pistols weren't so pathetically useless in this game), this week we get something awesome.  An MG42 machine gun.

Sadly it doesn't have the VRRRRP! firing sound of the real gun, but it's quite a spectacular weapon.  It's got a high rate of fire but simultaneously has great accuracy.

Damn. What's the challenge for it? Because while you're right that pistols are kind of 'eh', LMGs are made of happiness and joy.

+Crow T. Robot+

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #311 on: 12 July 2018, 18:02:51 »
Damn. What's the challenge for it? Because while you're right that pistols are kind of 'eh', LMGs are made of happiness and joy.

Kill ten cultists with shotgun slugs. Which is wonderfully cathartic in its own right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #312 on: 12 July 2018, 18:51:07 »
Yeah, the community challenge is already complete.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #313 on: 13 July 2018, 21:32:05 »
Yep. Worth it. Fire rate on that thing is hilarious.  ;D

This is my second reset (so third time through them) on the outposts- resetting them in the menu is nice, but I hate that I have to reset ALL of them instead of re-doing them one at a time at will the way I could in Kyrat. If ever a game needed a New Game + mode...

+Crow T. Robot+

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #314 on: 14 July 2018, 02:32:20 »
Finished Far Cry 4 - just waiting for the next steam sale on Far Cry 5 :)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #315 on: 17 July 2018, 15:39:54 »
Well, this week's mission is another 40 minutes in the Arcade, for a lever action rifle or shotgun of some kind.  Didn't even bother.  Honestly, given the WW2 German weaponry theme that's been running, I was half-expecting a Panzerfaust.

However, the other thing that happened today is the release of the second DLC, the Martian one.  You play as Nick Rye, who gets taken to Mars by Hurke in order to help fight off the hostile arachnids that are planning to invade Earth.  Given that there are references made to Nick's daughter, this story takes place either after the end of Far Cry 5 (meaning that Hope County was never nuked) or in an alternate history where the Peggies didn't cause problems.

So far, I'm finding it to be much more fun than Hours of Darkness.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #316 on: 17 July 2018, 21:21:37 »
Ubisoft probably did some market research and determined that their core audience are all Wehraboos.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #317 on: 17 July 2018, 22:07:03 »
Played a couple of hours of Mars with GhostBear.

...wasn't enjoying it.

The weapons are kind of cool (and some are now available in Montana- one of the pistols is a rocket launcher and is AWESOME). Mars itself looks gorgeous- I half-expect to turn around and see Matt Damon waving at me. Very nostalgic of Red Faction: Guerilla while playing this. (I guess that just got remastered, might give it a look sometime). The creatures- oh those are some of the best-looking critters a game has put out in a long, long time, very unique and fun. A lot of work went into creating them, clearly.

That environment is completely let down by the game play.

The shift from Hours of Darkness is shocking- yeah, it's Mars, there's no jungle to be sneaking around in, but there's no stealth play here at all- which is tough to adjust to at first. The entirety of the game is climbing towers to get power cores- back to Ubisoft doing what they love, fine. The first couple of them are kind of fun, but it gets old very quickly- and there's a LOT of them, looking at the map and horizon. The creatures are fun looking but very one-dimensional, and killing one doesn't really do much for you except earn you a couple of space-bucks- more will spawn, great if you're grinding for cash but not particularly rewarding otherwise.

I'll finish this one off, but as with Hours of Darkness I don't see myself ever wanting to go back to this one afterwards... the zombie one had better be really something to justify that season pass, at this point. At least Far Cry 3 has been fun to go back to...?

+Crow T. Robot+

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #318 on: 17 July 2018, 23:44:17 »
I am so very glad I didn't buy the Season Pass. I don't even know if I'm going to finish Hours of Darkness, let alone buy the Mars and (ugh, seriously) zombies packs. Honestly, what I would like is an expanded Far Cry 5, not mini-games using the same engine. It's the same reason I'm not thrilled with Far Cry Arcade.

You know, the DLC and community events really take me right out of the game. I had expected the DLC to be part of the main game. For example, you know how you can never actually visit the VA building? "Only You" starts playing and you wake up some distance away. I thought that, once you'd defeated Jacob Seed and downloaded the Hours of Darkness DLC, that would be replaced with your character passing out and waking up in Vietnam. Same with Larry and his teleporter, and well...I didn't think about the zombies, because I am so sick of zombies. But it's something they could've implemented in-game, but didn't. So it's clear the DLC stories were made by different people, and they're not meant to expand the story, just sell you more Stuff. It's the same with the absolutely baffling choice of rewards for the community events, and did you notice that they keep adding more character outfits to the store?

Bleah. Definitely a game I enjoyed despite itself.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #319 on: 30 August 2018, 11:57:56 »
And the final DLC, Dead Living Zombies, dropped this week.

In addition, the game got a new patch that months too late, finally added something that should have been available from launch: New Game Plus mode.

Dead Living Zombies is handled quite differently from the previous DLCs: it's set as an in-universe movie pitch from Guy Marvel to various (unnamed) directors.

Instead of one large map to explore like the previous two DLCs had, you're playing through eight scenarios, each set on a very small map.  You've got to run around destroying the machines that spawn the zombies while hunting for the hidden bonus weapons that are really necessary because your default weapons really don't cut it.

Finally, unlike the previous two DLCs where just installing them unlocked bonus weapons in the core game, this time you have to beat each scenario to unlock Score Attack, then play it again in Score Attack mode and get enough points to unlock a bonus weapon, vehicle, or outfit.  Presumably because they knew that by itself, nobody would ever voluntarily replay this DLC.

Overall, this feels like they just slapped a few missions from Arcade Mode together and called it a DLC.  Very phoned-in effort, I have no interest in trying to beat this at all and I'm probably going to avoid buying DLC for Ubisoft games in the future.