Author Topic: Gladius' Miniatures Thread  (Read 3557 times)

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
Gladius' Miniatures Thread
« on: 01 August 2023, 21:31:25 »
Hello everyone!
I was introduced to Battletech 30 years ago and was an avid fan for the next decade.  Unfortunately, the changes that occurred due to the Unseen, the change to "Click-tech", the 60 year jump in the narrative, coupled with college graduation and entry into the "real world" caused me to walk away from the game for the last 20 years. I recently let my 11-year-old son start reading some of my old novels, and he's gotten pretty excited about Battletech as well.  Because of this, a little over a month ago, I picked up the Alpha Strike Box Set, and I immediately fell in love all over again. It's like I've found a long-lost friend.  I'm thrilled to see the Unseen mechs again, and Catalyst have done a fantastic job of reworking the old designs.  They've managed to fix a lot of the strange proportions while retaining the design and style of those old mechs.

I broke out my old paints and got to work.  An internet search for Battlemech camo schemes led to the Unit Color Compendium, and the Ghost Bear Valkyrie Galaxy scheme just spoke to me.  I was disappointed to discover that Valkyrie Galaxy is an all-aerospace force but still wanted to paint this scheme, so consider this a fictional assault unit akin to how the U.S. Marine Corps relates to the U.S. Navy.

« Last Edit: 01 August 2023, 21:55:54 by Gladius-XC »

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
Re: Gladius' Miniatures Thread
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2023, 22:01:13 »
For my Inner Sphere forces, I wanted something with a more traditional military green, and growing up reading the Michael Stackpole books, I'm partial to the Davions.  So I decided to paint up a unit of 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry.  Up first is a Warhammer.

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2023, 22:10:24 »
My last mech for this update is a Pheonix Hawk, which I have painted to pay homage to an earlier era.

25 years ago, I painted a Pheonix Hawk in a similar style.  Here they are, side-by-side.

And... just for fun, because I get a kick out of comparing where I am now to where I started.  Here is a Victor and Orion from way back when.

« Last Edit: 21 August 2023, 11:24:31 by Gladius-XC »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2023, 03:55:10 »
Excellent looking minis! I dare ask, what have you been painting the last 20 years, because you've been developing your skills!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2023, 04:55:09 »
 :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2023, 05:14:10 »
Excellent looking minis! I dare ask, what have you been painting the last 20 years, because you've been developing your skills!
Thank you!  I dipped my toes into WH40K for a couple of years, and then got into Warmachine/Hordes.  But I actually haven’t painted much of anything for the last decade.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2023, 17:49:58 »
Nice work regardless! :)

Deckard_2049

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2023, 22:36:22 »
Nice take on the 1st armored cavalry scheme, the Rasalhague Dominion transfer decal is neat too, I don't see that one used often.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2023, 12:11:35 »
Very nice.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2023, 17:36:20 »
Stunning work on your Valkyrie Galaxy Warhawk.  cool I feel like you shouldn't let the official fluff discourage you from painting more mechs in this scheme. You could even make up your own narrative. That the bears started to form a mixed galaxy creating dex-build warriors from their aero program. Or something along those lines.   

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2023, 20:58:06 »
Stunning work on your Valkyrie Galaxy Warhawk.  cool I feel like you shouldn't let the official fluff discourage you from painting more mechs in this scheme. You could even make up your own narrative. That the bears started to form a mixed galaxy creating dex-build warriors from their aero program. Or something along those lines.
Thank you! There will definitely be more coming. I finished cleaning up the mold lines on a Viper yesterday.
When researching the deployments of the Ghost Bear / Rasalhague units on Santa.net, the only forces listed as guarding Rasalhague were the Valkyrie Galaxy. It seemed odd to me that there weren’t any ground forces, and so I envisioned the leaders of Valkyrie deciding to rebuild one of their clusters as a Battletech force. It would work closely with the aerospace arm as a quick reaction force, able to deploy at a moment’s notice.  Of course, then I got the Dominions Divided sourcebook, which lists the Silverroot Keshik on Rasalhague. Oh well; I have my story and I’m sticking to it!

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 05 August 2023, 05:47:08 »
Sweet! :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2023, 11:24:00 »
I finally finished the next batch of minis and got pictures taken of them.  First up is a Locust that I experimented with OSL effects from some imagined fire from the machine guns.  I'm not entirely happy with it, but for my first time doing OSL, I'm not too disappointed.

Next is an Archer that has taken me forever to get done.  I started this at the same time as the Warhammer above.

The last mini I have completed is a Wolverine that seemed like a good fit for a Davion force.  I really like how this one turned out.

And here is a shot of all four of the 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2023, 17:16:22 »
Gorgeous work! :)

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #14 on: 22 August 2023, 05:21:24 »
OSL effects are something special i have never tried, so i should be quiet, but this Locust looks like he ran supersonic on a hot planet.  :grin:

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2023, 05:29:58 »
LOL!  You're right!  I'm never going to be able to NOT see him that way now!

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2023, 04:39:36 »
Very nice!

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2023, 21:15:17 »
I got to paint this mini twice... sort of.  After base-coating it, and starting on the green paneling, my 4 year old decided that he wanted to paint it yellow and blue.  So I got to strip it and start over.   :rolleyes:

This is a Capellan Confederation Awesome painted in the colors of Warrior House Imarra, so I can have some Capellans to face off against my 1st FedSuns Armored Cavalry!

Cheers!   :drinking01:
« Last Edit: 21 September 2023, 21:17:28 by Gladius-XC »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2023, 22:11:04 »
More nice work! :)

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 25 October 2023, 16:17:33 »
Next up is a Dragon that I've been working on.  I tried my hand at wet blending after getting inspired by the beautiful minis that you guys have been posting!  It's painted up in the scheme of the 3rd Benjamin Regulars.

« Last Edit: 25 October 2023, 16:20:17 by Gladius-XC »

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 25 October 2023, 16:25:39 »
Oh, nice! Really liking the blending. Especially the reds. And, the Alien terrain is stunning! I mean; you could have easily gone with standard brown dirt and green grass, but this takes it to another level without feeling over-the-top in any way. Kudos!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 25 October 2023, 18:14:25 »
That's one handsome Dragon! :)

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 25 October 2023, 19:45:20 »
Oh, nice! Really liking the blending. Especially the reds. And, the Alien terrain is stunning! I mean; you could have easily gone with standard brown dirt and green grass, but this takes it to another level without feeling over-the-top in any way. Kudos!
Thank you! After doing the first half dozen miniatures, I realized that they all looked like they were on Earth. Given the breadth of the Inner Sphere, I really needed to diversify my bases.  This one turned out better than the one on my Awesome, which is supposed to be a metallic mud, but I don’t think it comes across in the pictures.

MacPhail

• Recruit
« Reply #23 on: 29 October 2023, 14:55:55 »
Beautiful work. Your painting skills are excellent.
Major Ian MacPhail, Alpha Battalion, BattleCorps Legion

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 03 December 2023, 03:52:41 »
I have a couple more updates.  I've been trying different techniques with these models (slapchop, drybrushing) to try to speed up my process, only to decide that I didn't like the look of either of them, and I spent a lot of extra time "fixing" them.  I've also been trying different primers and basecoat colors, so the color matching on these isn't the best, but that's part of the learning process.

I'm working on bringing my Ghost Bears up to a full star, and finally got my Dragonfly to the finish line after it's been stuck on my bench for several months.

To go along with it, I painted up a Stormcrow.  I absolutely love the new designs of these two mechs.  I hated the old ones, with their teeny little hands and clown-shoe feet.  These models are beautiful though!

And finally, here's a group shot with the Masakari.

Xan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 03 December 2023, 14:49:58 »
Those look great!  The blue and bronze is very striking, and the cockpit colors tie the whole thing together very well.

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 07 December 2023, 19:01:42 »
Thank you!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #27 on: 13 December 2023, 16:42:34 »
Good choices.

Aside: Why is it though, that the Fed Suns is more Lyran or Liao in color choices than the Lyrans or Liao?  Liao has a green symbol, but their iconic units are anything but green. 
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 14 December 2023, 07:56:09 »
I think it’s so that the color of the armor offsets the logo. A green symbol on green armor gets “lost”. The yellow of the Fed Suns symbol stands out on a green or blue background.

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 21 December 2023, 06:32:58 »
Here's the next installment of my Ghost Bears.  I've been learning from the experimenting that I've been doing, so I was able to churn this one out a bit faster.  I hope you enjoy!

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #30 on: 27 December 2023, 12:35:22 »
I finished the star of Ghost Bears, and threw in some Elementals too!  This one was fast!

Here's the whole star.

Enjoy!

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 04 March 2024, 20:07:43 »
I've been distracted by other hobbies and this is always the busiest time of the year at my work, so this one took me a little longer to finish.  I got some feedback on another forum that I should bump up the contrast, and so I worked on that with this mini. I present to you my second 'Mech of the 3rd Benjamin Regulars!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #32 on: 04 March 2024, 20:24:34 »
Great job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #33 on: 04 March 2024, 20:37:03 »
That is GORGEOUS! :)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 04 March 2024, 20:39:17 »
Mr. Cyclops looks amazing!
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #35 on: 05 March 2024, 07:50:29 »
The colours have clearly been well-chosen! Awesome stuff :cool:
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 05 March 2024, 09:57:06 »
Hot damn!  Great looking Combine mech!  Nice work sir.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 05 March 2024, 23:44:32 »
Some really nice stuff, Gladius.

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 06 March 2024, 04:41:01 »
Thanks guys!

Wasteland Warrior

• Corporal
« Reply #39 on: 06 March 2024, 08:23:50 »
Very nice!  I find the new Cyclops to be a rewarding mini to paint, and you knocked this one out of the park.  Great job.

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 09 March 2024, 01:38:26 »
A cool color matching.  Great work. 

MightyBolamite

• Corporal
« Reply #41 on: 21 March 2024, 18:36:40 »
These are absolutely beautiful. Truly, a pleasure to view.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 31 March 2024, 03:34:09 »
Sweet!  Really like the cyclops! :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Register