Author Topic: The Clans and limited paint scheme information.  (Read 2014 times)

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
The Clans and limited paint scheme information.
« on: 07 August 2020, 06:23:54 »
Hello. I did a cursory search before posting this, and didn't notice any threads asking this specific question recently.

I have been aware of Camospecs.com for ages and the Field Manual series of sourcebooks for finding paint scheme information for the various inner sphere and periphery factions, but when looking up the clans, besides detailed information about their crests and outside of the few paint schemes that have been canonised on Camospecs there isn't a lot of clear information on the clans. Of course there's the "Whatever works for you" perspective but I'd like to better understand how things work in universe, or at least in the minds of the writers.

In the event that there is no canon paint scheme for a clan galaxy, would paint schemes be determined by the individual warrior, or would it be determined per larger groupings, like uniform stars, trinaries, or clusters? Further, the clans are known for being braggarts, but they also abhor waste. Would the average line clanner tend towards a more flashy paint scheme to show off, or something more frugal to avoid being wasteful? If this is specified in a printed product I think I've overlooked it.

Thank you for your guidance. I would like to have a better understanding to go alongside the Clan kickstarter goodies due in the future.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2020, 06:41:11 by Ice_Trey »

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: The Clans and limited paint scheme information.
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2020, 09:06:53 »
I'd say two months and a bit without a reply is long enough to merit a bump

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2020, 12:16:56 »
Can you be more specific? Can’t really answer so broad a question. Thanks Ice_Trey.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2020, 06:24:43 »
If for example I pull out the Field Manual for House Davion and look up the various regiments, it will state how each regiment paints their mechs.
If I do the same and pull out the Field manual for Crusader Clans, and look up Ice Hellion's Alpha and Beta galaxies, there's mention of what their emblems look like but really nothing on paint schemes. If I go to Camospecs.com and look up Alpha Galaxy, it was canonized in 2005 so it's set in stone, but if I look at Beta Galaxy, all the mechs are light blue to dark blue faded but there's no mention of their canonicity.

That leaves the question: How does one paint each of these clan mechs if their goal is to match the lore? Are the non-canonized Camospecs paint schemes the accepted standard or purely the headcanon of the artists? Are entire galaxies of mechs painted uniformly? is it up to individual warrior preference? By star? By Trinary?

And again, "Whatever works for you" isn't what I'm looking for. I'm asking what the authors' expectations are in regard to clan paint schemes.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2020, 09:08:49 »
If it’s on Canospecs, it’s canon. The current site is as far from ideal as you can get—that specific issue (the canon sources not listed) is just one example. We have a new site and we’ve been in the migration process for the past couple months.

Outside of the sourcebooks and Camospecs, if a particular paint scheme isn’t detailed, then that information simply doesn’t exist and might at some future point.

If there is a specific unit that you’re interested in, I’d suggest contacting Camospecs on social media—their YouTube channel, Discord or Facebook page.

https://m.facebook.com/camospecs/
https://www.youtube.com/c/CamoSpecsOnline
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2020, 08:38:15 »
Fair enough, but then part two, what is the likelihood of clan warriors having a unique paint scheme VS following the Galaxy's standard colors.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2020, 13:05:38 »
Just as common as camouflage.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech