Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2  (Read 249133 times)

Vition2

• Lieutenant
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #1050 on: 10 August 2018, 18:40:43 »

Thanks Dragon Cat for taking the time to answer most of my points, most people who talk to the god of the universe are considered touch, so I am now.  >:D
But could I ask if Nova Cats really have Real Policy on WMD ie-General Order OOO is the destruction of all Nuclear, Biological and Chemical weapons ever discovered by a Nova Cat force, then how come they have not hit FS, CC, FWL, and the rest of the Inner Sphere nations weapon storage sites.   Because we all know they have them.
Added blue note for clarity of the order.  Really it comes down to the size and proclivity to use the weapons.  The major powers have way too many worlds or way too much space to adequately survey - this also functions as a way to politically say they can't find them.  The Taurians used them, were pretty much a bordering nation (and they definitely are now), there's no way they could ignore this given General Order 000.

That they don't target the Capellans - who have also shown a proclivity to use nukes - is likely due to a combination of knowing they would suffer horrendous losses in the offing and simple distance, logistics make it difficult to push their claims in a reasonable manner.

Perhaps surprisingly, the Ravens are also a potential target for this order, though they could get around it on technicalities - they may, or may not have, used anti-matter mines in their most recent conflict with the Combine (I left the details of what they actually were to DC).  The Combine suspects this but has incomplete sensor data, and Gerry Harper of the Sceptre probably knows what was used.  As for the technicalities (if it was anti-matter), anti-matter aren't NBC weapons (worse though they are) and they weren't used directly against warships, but rather were used in a supporting role.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1051 on: 10 August 2018, 21:55:26 »
Well to clarify completely General Order OOO is the destruction of all Nuclear, Biological and Chemical weapons   ever discovered by a Nova Cat forceor the elimination of any forces in the possession of such weapons.
It that last part which if the Nova Cats really believe it a true function for them and the fact they went all the way to Astrokaszy to find some that might or might not still have been there, that this is real.  Not hitting known fleet bases, where you could expect to find them, or as you say the CC.  CC is nothng to get to if you can get to Astrokaszy.   Proper fleet used could quickly secure spaceborn supremacy, allowing them to hit and secure target zones and maybe get away as clean as they did from Astrokaszy.  Plus what the CC going to do jump across the FS to get payback and the FS not say BOO to the force? 

Nope real reason that I can see is, this just show how they are hypocrites about the General Order OOO, unless it to their benefit to justify mindless slaughter of someone.  See the force on Astrokaszy who they slaughtered completely with no prisoners, but then the Clan privately declares the ComGuards and the Word of Blake as Rogue agencies and declares that any Nova Cat force that encounters them is to destroy them on sight.

Speaking of which, where have I missed Nova Cat's engaging Comstar forces?

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #1052 on: 11 August 2018, 00:22:55 »
Before reading my post, warning! It got away from me about zellbrigen to how certain Clans have been dealt with by others. None of this is information from Dragon Cat, but rather my own thoughts based on the timeline so far. Hope you enjoy! :D

Also worth mentioning each Clan operates their own zellbrigen differently from other Clans. That leaves a LOT of wiggle room for each Clan to determine what actually is WMD and exactly when they can be deployed against another. Look into the Warden and Crusader field manuals and the Wars of Reeving a bit closely and youll see some short sentences about each Clan having a small stockpile of their own, usually nerve gases or Nukes, but none touch them after the Wolverine debacle until the War of Reeving where the Clans (usually Society cells) pulled them out of stoarage and used them against their Clan enemies. Likely written into Clan Law by Kerensky himself come to think about it.

Also, certain Clans are confirmed at actually having them in story ittl. Among the active Clans, Clans Blood Spirit, Coyote, Fire Mandrill and Stone Spirit are all confirmed at having them sometime in the recent past or at least VERY highly suspected due to certain issues, and many a Dead Clan used them. I will list only the active Clans right now though. Clan Blood Spirit used them against the Star Adders and Steel Vipers on York (Orbital Bombardment against their own Civilians and Warrior Caste elements of both latter Clans) that made the other Clans declare both them and their descendants dezgra, Coyote (via their Society cells made the otl War of Reeving look like a mere temper tantrum and inadvertently making the Society the Clans bogyman), and finally the Mandrills (their own Kindraa used Nerve Gas and Nukes against each other at the start of their exodus from the Homeworlds and then using Nukes against Warships).

Of these confirmed, let's look at what it cost them shall we? Clan Blood Spirit until relatively recently was not known to have survived, but whose name caused other Clans to spit in disgust over its actions against Clan Star Adder, yet is leading the fight back home in the Homeworlds, an action that MIGHT be able to get them in the good graces of the Council once again, should it ever become known to the United Clans Council.

Clan Stone Spirit behaves like the rebellious child of the bunch, not caring for what the United Clans Council thinks of them, nor of their actions. They stay out of the United Clans Council's way and vise versa for the most part. A standing, though very quiet agreement between them and Clan Fire Mandrill/Rim Collection allows each a Live Fire opponent.

Clan Coyote is the LUCKIEST clan, in my humble opinion. They avoided a Trial of Absorption not once, but TWICE, in the story. The first when they secretly moved into the Inner Sphere and then covered the Wolves move, though I admit that call was more or less a mere formality. The latter one, though, well...we all know how that one went down. A lone Nova Cat Khan giving an impassioned speech and the Khan of the nominally dezgra Mountain Wolves being the first to answer that call for aid shaming the other Clans into allowing the Trickster Clan to still live, all by reminding them of how far and how many Clans have fallen. The Trickster was said to have many lives, but I think its safe to say the Coyotes spent nearly all they had remaining to crawl out of that particular Grand Council meeting still in one piece.

And then there is Clan Fire Mandrill. Caught in the middle of TTL's War of Reeving, its separate Kindraa effectively turned against each other as Kindraa Sainze and Mick-Kreese turned against Kindraa Faraday-Tanaga and Mattila-Carrol, using nerve gas and nukes to effectively destroy the latter and forcing the former out of the Homeworlds. Then that particular Kindraa had to spam nukes against the Sainze warships when the Sainze followed to merely survive. Then once on All Dawn, with the Mandrills fighting for their very future against a surprise attack by the Lyrans, to quickly get reinforcements groundside, they made a show of force that included nukes in space. Then later, in another short-term war against the Lyrans, a nuclear meltdown CONVENIENTLY occured (we know that is true, but the Lyrans likely think it was just a cover story to destroy the facility while not being painted as nuke happy). Later, with again a nuclear attack (this time on them and yes again we know its true), Clan Fire Mandrill conveniently comes waving Society prisoners to the other Clans and reminding them of the Serpents VERY recent transgressions while peacefully absorbing the Sphinx Raptors (Serpent descendants) in their entirety. That distraction and the fact the Mandrills were never officially declared dezgra, and did fight its way to the Inner Sphere conveniently allowed the Sea Foxes to argue they technically survived the Trial of Absorption issued by a now-deceased ilKhan. End of this meeting allowed Clan Fire Mandrill to resume its ties with the other Clans, albeit very reluctatantly. Then, with its forces boldly in Clan Space (United Clans Council capital planet no less) after a bold smash and grab raid, a missing Fire Mandrill technician is recovered, reminding everyone of the Clans Bogymen, again conveniently distracting the Clans, this time the Coyotes get targeted. Afterwards, with restricted Clan-tech slowly appearing where it shouldnt (Inner Sphere powers), the Clans all look at the Mandrills, who do acknowledge they were the ones, but on a technicality, are allowed to do so due to being the inferior power within the Rim Collection. The Mandrills escaped what COULD have been a big issue with a mild slap on the wrist as the other Clans have now accepted the Clans needed to remain together.

End result of the above for the Mandrills: The Mandrills having little political power within the United Clans Council due to being looked down upon for their "Inferior" status status within the Rim Collection (ie being an equal member within the Collection as a whole) and their willingness to use Nukes, even if only against Warships. But a useful power in Clan Society as unlike most other Clans they do have more back channels to Inner Sphere powers and has become a Neutral power within Clan Society.

Now why did I do all the above? Well, these Clans were the ones caught with nukes and WMD or (for Coyotes) the Clans know the Society begun and were a powerful force within the Coyote Clan all the way up until the Clans forcibly removed the Vermin and arent about to forget that. All of the above paid for being caught in some way, shape, or form, and have dealt with it differently. And interesting, the results are ironic. Clans Blood Spirit and Stone Spirit, parent/child Clans, are very different in how they handle themselves. Blood Spirit was long the one Clan fighting back against the Society in the Homeworlds, intent to show itself it still is true to the Clan Way even if no other Clan knows about it; while the latter spitefully calls itself a Clan while not caring one bit about protecting its status as one, ignoring most other Clans in the process while at the same time declaring for all to see, as a rebellious child would want to do. The Coyotes, bold before, now careful and weary of overstepping itself, attempting to reestablish its identity as the honorbound Clan,  all while not overreaching against other Clans, instead targeting the Lyrans when it convenient. Clan Fire Mandrill, meanwhile, treaded carefully after fighting its way out out of the Homeworlds and then against the Lyrans, and against all odds survived, but at the cost of what most Clans care most about; their pride and walking away from the Clan way where the strong rule.

So what does that mean to the other Clans? Effectively and collectively, they (together with the fallen Clans) serve as an object lesson  to the other Clans as to why the Clans just dont use nukes/WMD/covort with extremists in the first place. The first two are dezgra, while the latter two lost their pride as Clans. Two (Clans Blood Spirit and Coyote) struggle to show themselves worthy while the other two (Clans Stone Spirit and Fire Mandrill) have truthfully lost their way. Yet each found renewed purpose as well.

Clan Blood Spirit, their redemption. Clan Stone Spirit, acknowledgment. Coyote, honor. Fire Mandrill, their pride.

Again, sorry for the massive post. This did get away from me.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1053 on: 11 August 2018, 02:34:53 »
The Clans sense of honour is dumb as all hell and up there with the Klingons IE

"We are honourable noble warriors!"
"So..why do you attack from ambush using your cloaks? Why not declare yourself and your intentions like the honourable warriors you profess to be?"
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF..."

And they are more than willing to make a lot of things that they'd call dishonourable, suddenly be honourable when the mood or need suits them because they are massive hypocrits :D

But its one of the things that makes the Clans so unique and their honour (and hypocrasy) is part of them as much as their Mech's or Aff and Neg :)  As James Tanaga said the Clans tend to leave themselves a LOT of wiggle room when it comes to stuff that might be considered dishonourable and it all depends on the Clan and then gets further muddied by the circumstances as well as the Commander on the ground who makes the call to use a WMD. 

For the most part I doubt a Clan would really employ a WMD against another Clan unless it was an act of survival (IE the Reavings) and even then its in the most extreme of cases.  But against others, I think the thing holding them back is a case of "If we use 'em, so will they."  Combine this with the deeply ingrained mindset from the Homeworlds where every resource was valuable and nukes would tarnish them, dress it up with a flimsy dressing of honour (far too bland with way too much salt) and call it done :)

In this universe we've got the Clans in the Inner Sphere who have changed considerably from what they were.  The Ravens are more integrated into the Outworlds Alliance, the Falcons are if anything true to what they were originally, now with some Smoke Jag flavorings, but without going into full blown Malvina Hazen territory (although I get the feeling of an unsaid '...yet' there). The Wolves are kind of similar to OTL's Wolf Empire, its just in a different place, the Dominion is a Great House at this point in all but name whilst the Horses are also integrating with their civilian populace.  The Nova Cats are still probably the Most Clan of the Clans left and the admittedly lesser Clans like the Mandrils and others are just trying to survive. 

The 'Yotes were probably not absorbed or even Annihilated because the other Clans of the Unified Council viewed themselves as being the last descendents of Kerensky and to remove the 'yotes would make them even fewer, but you can bet that the 'yotes are being very closely watched, and if there's any more...'shenanigans' from them, I doubt they would survive the Councils fury.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1054 on: 11 August 2018, 08:29:12 »
Thank you James for pointing WMD used by fellow Clanners and showing that Nova Cats didn't really care about it. 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #1055 on: 11 August 2018, 21:14:34 »
I personally think the Clans do care about it, but it's more that they don't want to lose yet another Clan combined with being pragmatic about it. It is why the Coyotes still have Clan Watch all over their backyard even though the Society Vermin have been removed for a couple years now, why Clan Fire Mandrill remains very careful where they tread in the Council.

It all comes down to Clan culture. To them, WMD is TABOO. Yes they have them, but just dont touch the stuff. Why do they have them? Well, it would be a stupid idea to get rid of them only for an unknown power or say IS power to get the drop on that and well, no more Clans. They have them for the sole reason the IS powers have them. Deterrence.

That's probably why the Cats are so up in arms and the other Clans are nodding in their direction. The TC fought the Cats believing the Cats would react the same way as a proper IS power would: shake their heads, decry the use of Nukes against an appropriate military target, be mad at them for a bit, and then go back to business as usual. The Cats didn't do this. Why? Because to nearly every Clan out there, (discounting Mandrills and Stone Spirits) you DONT use WMD unless you have no other choice. Not "your clan is about to be absorbed" but rather "our entire culture is about to die".

However, I am a bit surprised the Nova Cats didn't see it coming either. Because this is the TC we're talking about. The one periphery power that pretty much the entire SLDF at its HEIGHT didn't want to get too entangled with. Why? Because this power SPAMS nukes. And they're honest about it.

To be fair, the Nova Cats haven't declared a Trial of Annihilation against the TC. Merely declared them dezgra and their intent to force the TC to behave honorably or else. Sadly, the TC is in the end going to just squint at the Cats, shrug, and spam nukes like in the old days if the Cats push to much. Whether that starts a war between the SLDF and the Clans, who can say? One thing I know is I HOPE there's enough popcorn!  :thumbsup:

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1056 on: 12 August 2018, 04:21:24 »
Random question for no reason at all, who's the Horse Khan at this point?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1057 on: 12 August 2018, 07:26:20 »
I do as side note, that doesn't Khan know his grand children are running around in the TC Capital?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1058 on: 12 August 2018, 16:53:19 »
A lot to get through so here goes

DOC_Argen - I'm glad you consider this to be a real universe.  A lot of work has gone into it from me and others and while it is still my vision it wouldn't be where it is without these contributions

I hate revealing future information but it won't be nationwide Turtle Bay for Taurians

General Order 000 is real the Nova Cat interpretation is weapons they can prove and are used against them.  The Taurians pulled a trigger they expected to be pulled and now the Nova Cats are venting on them (It's almost an Ice Hellion type operation)

The Nova Cats engaged Comstar several times when first in what is now Nova Cats Den but Comstar are long since defunct so it doesn't matter

Vition few understand exactly what the Ravens did and that includes them the warriors didn't like the surprise effects and are unlikely to intentionally employ again

James Tanaga not one of the Clans has survived this TL with their ideals intact all have made compromises and are like to commit other's.  Your information highlights the worse offenders but none would stand to Aleksandr Kerensky scrutiny which makes sense things change

WMDs are taboo hence Nova Cat reaction a swift kick normally makes them see sense like most cats

Don't forget the popcorn you'll need it

Marauder you're right about the clan hipocricy they change like the wind you're analysis isn't far off but I'd disagree with the Nova Cats they are in almost Dominion levels of state and stance now.  The Coyotes are still figuring out who the hell they are

Horse Khan is Teresa Cooper I think

Wrangler yes he does but travel from Tukayyid allowed other's to take a lead

« Last Edit: 13 August 2018, 15:11:14 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1059 on: 12 August 2018, 21:36:57 »
Thanks for taking time to answer my question.  The alternate universe is far more balanced to me than the canon universe, but maybe it will change.

Thanks again, Dragoncat!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1060 on: 13 August 2018, 00:33:28 »
To hell with WMD, the Horses will take it the old fashion way, by Boots on the ground! Be it Mech, QuadVee, Proto or straight up Infantry, augmented or not!

CHH for DC's Altverse ilClan!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1061 on: 14 August 2018, 06:26:23 »
Quadvee haven't been introduced yet right?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1062 on: 14 August 2018, 08:29:05 »

Funny you should mention that...  for..you know..no reason..*coughs*

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1063 on: 14 August 2018, 08:56:06 »

Nope still too early

Funny you should mention that...  for..you know..no reason..*coughs*

But always welcome
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1064 on: 14 August 2018, 10:46:06 »
I can dream, can't I?

* Dreams of assualt Quadvees in motion... *

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1066 on: 14 August 2018, 11:11:29 »
I hope they never appear in this timeline. I have no love for these faux Transformers.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1067 on: 14 August 2018, 11:29:21 »
Oh lord.... That brings me back to my Rifts days...

CS Spider Scout and Borg support with a Quebec GB on overwatch! Just needing some SAMAS air support to complete the scene!

Afreet BA and standard Toads, the Phaeton Quadvees with a Pack Hunter II 4 in overwatch!

Yeah, I still think in Rifts on BT...  ::)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1068 on: 14 August 2018, 11:47:30 »
Is that a good thing? I dunno what RIFTS is :s 

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1069 on: 14 August 2018, 13:39:34 »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts_(role-playing_game)

This is the wiki pretty good from what I remember

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1070 on: 14 August 2018, 19:57:43 »
Is that a good thing? I dunno what RIFTS is :s
Honestly, I would say it was a power gamers wet dream.  The average PC is running around in Armor that equal to a modern tank, and carrying small arms that also equal it's firepower.

That being said a friend did "move over" his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Kung Fu Mongoose, to Rifts and became a Juicer, was interesting...

Dragon Cat thanks for answering me..  See I'm  ;D talking to god and he is  :thumbsup: talking back.

And I will say again if the Nova Cats didn't know how the TC would respond, then their whole WATCH needs to be replaced.  They declared publicly before the Nova Cat got their paw sunburnt, all clan forces were to be treated like the pirates they are, because of the Spectre actions.  Almost like the Nova Cats want this war to show their muscles and seize a good chunk of the TC, after breaking the military.

Now if I was the TDF not only would I be breaking out the Nukes, and keeping the all ready birds armed.  But I would be considering deploying Radium Sniper Rifle and anything else I have in small packets to TMI Special Task Groups and if the Nova Cat keep up their operational hits, deploy them to all clan "safe" spaces and start show them what total war that they all support means to them personally. 
As the Nova Cats sow with your blessings in the TC, so shall you all reap

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1071 on: 14 August 2018, 21:51:07 »
Quote from: DOC_Agren linkd=topic=52013.msg1437519#msg1437519 date=1534294663
Honestly, I would say it was a power gamers wet dream.  The average PC is running around in Armor that equal to a modern tank, and carrying small arms that also equal it's firepower.

Your forgetting that the alien-ish D-bee stalking you can probably regenerate faster than you can dish out damage a turn! And you can't, so you'd need backup.... Hence magic users or augmented friends even if your a human supremacist and think those are a mutation that needs putting down!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1072 on: 20 August 2018, 05:39:41 »
Battle site
Junction, Proserpina PDZ
Draconis March, Federated Suns
3rd March 3112

Running his Fusilier Battle Armour Suit forwards taking sniper shots against with the suits mugshot gauss rifle while the over shoulder machine gun churned out bullets keeping the DCMS units off position.  From inside the suit Leftenant Duncan Sandoval could see the icons of the rest of his squad and the platoon around them moving and holding the ground around them.  As they moved forwards Duncan saw conventional troopers, which made up the bulk of the DCMS raiding force, aiming their conventional weapons on the Battle Armour suits and smiled as he aimed his mugshot again at one of the DCMS BattleMechs while tagging several of the DCMS troopers with his suit's over shoulder gun.  As he concentrated on hitting the BattleMech along with his squad their machine guns pinned down more than a platoon of conventional infantry their own weapons ineffectual against the AFFS Battle Armour.

Two days before the Draconis Combine had launched an assault on Ludwig and Junction intent on cutting off the Federated Suns’ Benjamin Salient and cutting off the First Prince who was reportedly still on the recently captured Benjamin.  Duncan Sandoval and the other members of the Third Robinson Rangers RCT fighting alongside the Federated Freemen Mercenary Command were intent on holding the world against all adversaries.

In battle Sandoval’s Fusilier squad continued to target Combine Mechs while their machine guns sprayed infantry positions with weapons fire.  The Fusilier was a slow Battle Armour suit on the ground and while it was jump capable to do so would have taken them beyond the infantry forces.  “This is Percival One to Anvil” Sandoval communicated having an idea as he watched the fight happen in front of him.

“Go ahead”

“Sir, the infantry is slowing our progress, DCMS BattleMechs are falling back out of range and we’re going to be subject to long range fire.”  He said continuing his fire.

“We don’t have an option.  If you are out-ranged by BattleMechs fall back.”

“But that will allow the infantry to hold our offensive, sir” Duncan said looking at his suit’s mini-map which displayed what was happening around him.  With his eyes Duncan drew in movements with the units in his local area and sent them to his Company Commander “Anvil” around him his squad and the other squads covered his inactivity shielding him from fire.

“That’s a risky plan, Percival” his company commander said she was obviously aware of who he was and what it would mean to her career if she got a member of the Sandoval family killed.

“Yes, it is, think you can do it?”

“Yes mam” he responded moments later a communication was passed between the units and quickly they were linked into his suit’s command processor.  “Thank you” he said quickly communicating his orders the units adjusted to their new command structure and signalled they were ready.  “All unit’s this is Percival” he said looking at the map one last time it was going to work “execute orders” he commanded launching his own suit into the air around him the other Fusilier’s did the same taking them over the infantry’s position.  “Continue long range fire on the Mech’s keep them honest.  Have support guns cover the infantry” he said each of the twenty Fusiliers kept firing long range shots at the Mechs while their shoulder guns covered the infantry.  “Hovercraft move up use your short-range stuff to keep that infantry force down and target the Mechs.”  He said walking his suit forwards slowly the enemy BattleMechs had realized they couldn’t escape by walking out of here and were now turning back to fight but they were taking heavier and heavier fire.  “Percival to Brackon they’ve taken the bait.”

“Understood, hold position” their commander commanded for a group of infantry and hovercraft now came the dangerous point.  Neither the Battle Armour nor the hovercraft supporting them had the power or counter the incoming BattleMechs instead all they could do was hope they’d hold until the AFFS trap was sprung.  To Duncan Sandoval’s left the ground exploded as an autocannon barrage landed nearby he knew he wouldn’t survive a direct hit from one of those and launched the Fusilier into the air.

“Keep moving” he commanded the troops around him watching as a hover tank took a direct hit to the front from a gauss rifle and he saw the armour peel open like a it had been hit with a sardine can taking it out of the fight.  “We need support” he said blasting away at the enemy Mechs as even more entered the area.  “Under heavy fire Draconis Combine forces concentrating in our sector” he called out as a light particle cannon fired by one of the Draconis Combine Mechs slammed into his torso shredding the armour on the Fusilier suit.  “Additional enemy units all units begin to fall back…” he transmitted it was the last part of their trap and his words indicated to everyone that the DCMS had committed more people than they could handle.  From both sides of the Combine force AFFS BattleMechs and heavy armour began to move in catching the Combine units in a hellish crossfire ripping them to pieces.

As it became a BattleMech battle Duncan Sandoval made his way back towards the area where he had left the DCMS infantry pinned down by the armour to take them into custody.  As he approached the area Duncan saw the hellish sight that he had left behind with over one hundred bodies in DCMS camouflage.  In the coming days he discovered that one of the troopers had produced a inferno equipped short range missile launcher and had blown up one of the AFFS tanks.  The armour’s response to their allies being burnt alive was for the armour to open fire and kill every member of the remaining infantry force.  It had been a decision that he had made and that Duncan would now have to live with.

With their BattleMech forces decimated in the attack the remaining DCMS forces had little chance of holding their positions instead they rapidly fell back over the following days before leaving the planet in AFFS hands. 

Border Raids
Capellan March, Federated Suns
19th March 3112

With the Federated Suns still distracted with the Draconis Combine the Capellan Confederation launch assaults on bordering systems disrupting Federated Suns defences and transit through the systems.  These attacks cause SLDF units transiting to the Taurian Concordat to detour around the Confederation/Suns border.

The majority of the raids are knocked aside by AFFS defenders and their mercenary support but the Capellan Confederation units are able to wrest control over Yunnah and Palos from Federated Suns control by the end of the month.
   In response to the attacks the First Kathil Uhlans launch their own spoiler raids on the Capellan Confederation supported by the WarShips FSS Fire Fang, FSS Silver Shield and FSS Comet striking at the systems of Elnath and Old Kentucky before the end of the month before disappearing in Capellan space.

Clan Landings
Bjarred, Bjarred Prefecture
Military District of Pesht, Draconis Combine
24th March 3112

Stepping clear of the Overlord C-class DropShip Khan Katrine Devalis the leader of Clan Lynx walked the short distance between her landing zone and the meeting with her Cluster Commanders.  “Good Evening, against us are the Second Sword of Light Regiment of the Draconis Combine it is one of their most best equipped units.”  She said greeting the other who stood around her she had brought together her best four Clusters to conquer this backwater world.  “The commander that wins this battle will become my new saKhan.  The cut off bid is three clusters.”

“I will take this planet with all four of our Clusters and the aerospace fighters from our WarShip.  Minus the three other cluster commanders present.”  Star Colonel Tyler West the hulking Elemental said looking down on the other three leaders he was the commander of the 201st Nova Cat Roar Cluster of Katrine’s own Galaxy a very experienced officer but he was cautious compared to the others.

“I will take this planet with three Clusters, two trinaries and the aerospace force.”  Chelsea Drummond of the Seventh Nova Cat’s Roar Cluster said.

“Three clusters and aerospace support” Stewart Bravos the commander of the 65th Nova Cat’s Roar Cluster said.

“Three clusters” Gerard Nova Cat said he was the only one present who did not have a Bloodname and he was the commander of the Fifth Nova Cat’s Roar Cluster.

“And aerospace support quiaff?”  Khan Katrine Devalis queried.

“Neg, I bid those away also, the internal support of the Clusters will be enough.  I bid the Two Hundred-and-first, the Sixty-Fifth and the Seventh.  I will command the Seventh.”  He said removing the Khan’s own Upsilon Keshik from the battle roll not only was it the most experienced unit present it also would deny Khan Devalis a chance of honour in the battle curiously he had also removed his own Cluster from the battle roll.  This would put him with people he had not fought with and without the best unit the Lynx Clan had on offer on the planet.

“It cannot be done” West said

“Aff agreed, you need the Keshik to counter the best that the Second Sword have on offer” Bavros agreed

“I withdraw from the bidding” Chelsea Drummond stated “I request to join the battle roll under Gerard Nova Cat’s Command.”  She said surprising the others.  Following her statement of support neither of the others spoke unwilling to go below the cut off for the trial.

“It appears you will command this Trial Star Colonel do not fail us” Khan Katrine Devalis said Gerard Nova Cat nodded as the Khan, West and Bavros left.

“Why support me?”

“After this battle those that survive will be in line for promotions.  I wish to command our Clan’s naval forces and have a chance to become the first Oathmaster of our Clan.”

“Ambitious goals but why support me?”

“Because you are stupid enough that you may actually win this battle.  I wish to support you in this challenge.”

“Fine, key to the success of this battle will be the aerospace forces, we all saw that was our advantage against the Draconis Combine forces.”

“Which is why you bid away your own Cluster, it has no aerospace forces.”

“Aff, I wish for you to command the combined aerospace forces at our disposal cull them from all three clusters and put them together in one unit.  I want you to eliminate the Combine LAM force as your first priority which will cut the Combine’s wings.”

“They have conventional fighter squadrons based on Bjarred, at least three” she warned

“They are not a concern against aerospace fighter squadrons but they will be your second target.”  He explained to her showing he had considered them.  “I will take our ground forces against the Sword of Light and challenge them to an open battle the samuri will not be able to stand down to an open fight.”

“And if your forces are fighting honour battles in one battle you do not need Cluster commanders to command independent operations.  These are veteran MechWarriors of the Combine they will not fall easily.”  She warned him
“Neg they will not” he admitted “but their units tend to fight stand up battles per regimental lines.  They are more like Clansmen than they like to admit.  We will challenge their BattleMechs to battles which will isolate them from their support units until it is too late.”

“Too late?  They still outnumber you.”

“Not once you have dealt with the LAM force and the conventional fighters.  Following those actions you will conduct bombing attacks on their unchallenged units throwing their support lines into chaos.”

“And if they have ground defences against aerospace forces?”

“You may engage them.”

---

Hours later Clan Lynx were involved in an open battle as planned by Gerard Nova Cat they were taking losses but the superior Clan technology was making up for the numbers against them.  In the air Star Colonel Chelsea Drummond had successfully wiped out the LAM unit and the conventional fighters and they were now making their way through the Anti-Air units in Combine unit unfortunately they were taking heavier losses against the heavier numbers of the ground forces.  Commanding from his Warhawk OmniMech Gerard Nova Cat could see the battle slowly turning against them and he had to make a move.  “Star Colonel Gerard to Khan Devalis”

“Star Colonel, go ahead”

“My Khan, I plan to win this trial but I wish to recall my last bid from the original bid, two aerospace stars from the Santin West configured for ground support” he said targeting an enemy BattleMech with two particle cannons.

“Those fighters were being reconfigured for aerospace fighting.”

“I know that two Stars are still configured for ground support.”  He said triggering his OmniMechs taking down the enemy Shadow Hawk.

“You will lose honour for this today” Devalis warned “and will likely face a Circle of Equals for this.”

“I understand and I will win these battles.”

“The fighters are on their way use them well.”

“Affirmative” Gerard answered switching channels “Star Colonel Drummond reinforcements are on their way use them wisely.”  He commanded as his Warhawk was rocked by a tightly grouped long range missile salvo.  A second salvo quickly followed slamming into the OmniMech’s right torso.  He quickly lined up another shot this time on a Combine Black Hawk KU OmniMech which weighed in at half the size of the Warhawk and carried half the firepower but none of it was LRMs.  Gerard quickly switched frequencies to a general Lynx frequency all units they have begun to concentrate fire, fire at will.”  He commanded instead of targeting individual warriors the Lynx warriors now opened up on multiple different units concentrating fire while the aerospace fighters also now targeted the enemy BattleMechs.

From all sides the Sword of Light was under fire with multiple downed BattleMechs and knocked out armoured vehicles in quick succession.  The Sword of Light fell back rapidly pulling away from the battle.  Gerard slowed his Warhawk to a walk keeping his weapons on enemy targets but silent.  “Clan Lynx hold position.”  He said switching frequencies again to general military channel.  “Sword of Light surrender this battle and we may be able to allow you to survive today.  Continue to fight and we will destroy you.”

“We will not surrender, for the Combine” the female voice responded the Combine forces then turned and returned to battle their formation restored.

“You cannot win.”  He broadcast again “but we will honour you with a warrior’s death.”  He said from all sides the Lynx warriors poured fire on the remaining Sword of Light warriors with air superiority as well the Combine warriors stood little chance.  Gerard was impressed with their discipline, as they took more weapons fire from all sides the Sword of Light warriors pulled more together holding up under the enemy fire pushing further and further into the Lynx lines taking many of the Clan warriors with them.

Today Clan Lynx were victorious but at a cost of nearly two Clusters.  Khan Katrine Devalis commanded that the three Clusters that had fought in the battle be retained on the rolls of Clan Lynx but they were more paper than flesh, blood and steel.  Following the battle Gerard Nova Cat was challenged three times by other Lynx Star Colonels for the position of saKhan but he bested them all.  He then went onto win a Trial of Bloodrite at the end of May to become saKhan Gerard Bedford the first of a reborn Bloodline which Clan Lynx had adopted from the records of Clan Nova Cat.  With Clan scientists mixing Gerard’s blood, and others who had won Trials, with those of the Bedford line held in cryo-genetic storage to create a new Bloodhouse unique to Clan Lynx.

Within days of his appointment Gerard Bedford championed Star Colonel Chealsea Drummond to the position of Oathmaster of the Lynx Clan.  After several successful Trials of Position she also became Star Admiral and commander of the Lynx naval forces.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2018, 07:29:26 by Dragon Cat »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1073 on: 20 August 2018, 06:34:14 »
What did the group that splintered off the Nova Cats call themselves? Clan Lynx? Nevermind, I see it now
« Last Edit: 20 August 2018, 06:42:33 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1074 on: 20 August 2018, 06:36:40 »
Wow, that was bit of abstract battle.  I'm disappointed we didn't get more details. LAMs getting wiped out was major downer for me.  :(

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1075 on: 20 August 2018, 12:27:22 »
Wow, that was bit of abstract battle.  I'm disappointed we didn't get more details. LAMs getting wiped out was major downer for me.  :(

I have to agree, properly used LAMs vrs Aerospace fighters, should be more like jet fighters vrs helicopters..  You might win but it should be a hell of a battle.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #1076 on: 21 August 2018, 02:08:16 »
Which SOL regiment did Clan Lynx fight.
In the first paragraph you mentioned the 2nd but later on you mentioned the 1st sword.
The odds are 50/50 that it is one of the 2. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1077 on: 21 August 2018, 02:23:30 »
Excellent stuff as always, the Combine's really taking a kicking and now wracked with Civil war it risks being at the centre of a feeding frenzy if the Bears and Ravens sense weakness.  The Bears might not take advantage of it but the Ravens...and to keep the Lynx from their door even if I recall the two are at least trading and taking with one another with the Ravens supplying WarShip yards for repairs/refits for the Lynx's.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1078 on: 21 August 2018, 19:18:47 »
Wrangler I wanted to introduce more characters rather than the battle there is a couple of big battle pieces on the (REDACTED) border

DOC_Argen it was 50 aerospace against 36 LAM and 18 conventional fighters they reduced the Lynx to half a dozen fighters before reinforcements called

Snakespinner it was the Second I was thinking First elsewhere and screwed up

Marauder the Lynx have a long way to go, the Ravens are doing their own thing and no one has poked the bear for a bit

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1079 on: 21 August 2018, 19:37:13 »
DOC_Argen it was 50 aerospace against 36 LAM and 18 conventional fighters they reduced the Lynx to half a dozen fighters before reinforcements called

Damm, I have to say that the Dracs did better then I expected with the LAMs and conventional fighters.  I honestly have to ask were the Drac LAMs "level 1" or "level 2" or better tech?

Register