Author Topic: A Different Perspective  (Read 1872 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
A Different Perspective
« on: 21 October 2022, 16:05:26 »
[Author]  No grand designs with this one.  So going to be really short.  [/Author]

I have lost count of the battlefields I have been on.  After a while they all look the same.  Sure one may have a tainted atmosphere or another be scorching hot but even those details become lost once one has seen enough war.  Which I have.

An Orion wanders into my field of fire.  It wears the markings of the enemy.  Yet I recognize it.  Not long ago it was an ally.  I feel certain we have seen each other on the battlefield many times in many roles but this too was something that had become a blur.  What was certain was this time would be our last meeting.

I feel the deep throbbing of my Autocannon and hear the hum of my lasers as they bore into my foe.  It crumpled in a heap.  The Center Torso so completely ruined that it would never see another fight as I knew would be the case.

While I had been victorious the call came over the radio.  We were to pull back.

The day had not gone well for the rest of my unit.

I chased away a Jenner with my LRMs.

Soon enough though the enemy seemed content to let us leave with no further opposition.

This is the part I find the most tiresome.  The waiting for repairs and re-arming.  People try and be social and some even feel the need to try and engage me in conversation.

I give them no attention for I am a weapon of war.  Still the distraction is annoying.

My technician I barely tolerate out of necessity as I need her but she is among the worst in trying to engage me in social activities.  But I have no way to ask for a replacement at this time.

The Dropship eventually lifts.  I am grateful for this as it means the insufferable torment that is my existence between battles will eventually end.

It is the signal that I only have to tolerate the others attempts at socializing with me for a while longer.

Though I do realize I am overstating things, even to myself.

For I have no emotions.  I am a weapon of war.

Maybe I am as they say insane?

I contemplate this as the unreality of a jump washes over me.

I find myself unable to reconcile a proper answer as the Dropship flies towards another battlefield.

When I walk out onto this one it is colder but somehow it seems more important than usual.

As a Stinger enters my sights and I vanquish it easily.

The fight wears on as I keep trying to find my answer.

A Fafnir squares off against me.

As we let everything loose into each other I find my answer.

I am a weapon of war.  My name is Atlas.  But I am also the culmination of all my pilots leaving a part of themselves with me.

The fight goes against me but I know that even though I am likely doomed this day I have earned the name one of my pilots had given me.  I am the King of Pain and I will make sure this upstart knows it before I fall.

After the Civil War Battle for Tharkad

Hauptamn Earnst Welker looked at his family's Atlas.

It had served them a long time.  But now it had finally seen it's last fight.

"You look down."  His mechtech Reighly walked up to him.

"I can't help but feel I lost something special.  That Fafnir had me dead to rights, so much so I should not be here talking to you.  Yet my mech seemed as determined as I was to not go down easy.  I couldn't save it but it gave me enough of an edge I survived."  Earnst sighed.

"I know.  It's an old technician's urban legend that a mech once it gets old enough and sees enough pilots that it becomes something more than a war machine.  I doubt we'll see many more like it with all this war and new production."  Reighly hung off Earnst's shoulder.

[Author]  Told you it wasn't anything huge.  Just a bad idea for a short snippet to help me get through the last couple hours at work.  Though this one I may play around with a little in my head to see about getting something more out of in the future in a re-visit.[/Author]

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
Re: A Different Perspective
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2022, 16:17:18 »
that was good, not bad at all
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2022, 16:55:47 »
Glad you liked.

I don't know when I'll re-visit this concept but I do feel like this needs turned into something more some day.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2022, 17:11:13 »
Apologies, for stealing, but ... read too many Bolo stories.

"I can't help but feel I lost something special.  That Fafnir had me dead to rights, so much so I should not be here talking to you.  Yet my mech seemed as determined as I was to not go down easy.  I couldn't save it but it gave me enough of an edge I survived."  Earnst sighed.

"I know.  It's an old technician's urban legend that a mech once it gets old enough and sees enough pilots that it becomes something more than a war machine.  I doubt we'll see many more like it with all this war and new production."  Reighly hung off Earnst's shoulder.

In the background, hidden under tangled armourflex, a telltale glowed dimly. You could easily miss it. After all, they all did.

I lived. I die. I wonder what comes next?

The glow faded from the telltale.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2022, 17:37:14 »
Apologies, for stealing, but ... read too many Bolo stories.

In the background, hidden under tangled armourflex, a telltale glowed dimly. You could easily miss it. After all, they all did.

I lived. I die. I wonder what comes next?

The glow faded from the telltale.

Hehe.

No worries worktroll.

I just hope my muse doesn't go on strike again and so soon.  Too much free time at work still and I need something to fill it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2022, 18:41:43 »
Nice one, and excellent coda Worktroll!  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2022, 20:37:10 »
Very well done!  Thanks for sharing!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2022, 21:18:00 »
applause!!
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2022, 22:30:31 »
I will admit I do feel like I am starting to get back into form with my last few efforts.

Still a little rusty but getting there.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2022, 08:34:55 »
 :clap: :beer: :clap: :beer: :clap:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register