Author Topic: Errata Discussion Thread - Questions HERE, not in Errata Threads  (Read 310394 times)

MyndkryM

• Warrant Officer
Re: Errata Discussion Thread - Questions HERE, not in Errata Threads
« Reply #1200 on: 01 June 2022, 20:05:00 »
A possible error in the ASCE v5.0 PRE

Pursuit Lance (p. 120)
1)
⑤Under “Ideal Role” Skirmisher
Change to: Striker

Is this correct? Campaign Operations has it also listed as Skirmisher.
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1201 on: 01 June 2022, 20:06:14 »
Yes, it should be changed in CO as well.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1202 on: 03 June 2022, 14:31:59 »
Errors in the Alpha Strike Companion Errata v1.5 PRE document:

pp. 13, 24

⑤ Basic Fire Control (p. 120)
Change to:
⑤ Basic Fire Control (BFC) (p. 120)

pp. 15, 24

⑤ Light Active Probe (IF#) (p. 126)
Change to:
⑤ Light Active Probe (LPRB) (p. 126)

p. 16

Stealth (p. 131)
Change to:
Stealth (STL) (p. 131)

Xotl: Fixed, thanks.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2022, 14:52:58 by Xotl »

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1203 on: 06 June 2022, 19:36:51 »
Issues with A Time of War Errata v3.0 PRE document:

pp. 5, 9

ER Laser Rifle: Change the AP/BD code from 4B/4 to 4E/4.
Change to:
Second printing only: ER Laser Rifle: Change the AP/BD code from 4B/4 to 4E/4.

The error isn't present in 2010 printing.

p. 10

Under “ComStar/Word of Blake”, “Gloves”, change the Equipment Ratings from E/X-A-A/A to B/A-A-A/A
Change to:
Second printing only: Under “ComStar/Word of Blake”, “Gloves”, change the Equipment Ratings from E/X-A-A/A to B/A-A-A/A

Once again - error not present in 2010 printing. Compare to how it was handled on p. 6 of the document.

pp. 7, 10

Fatigue Accumulation Table (p. 408)
Add the bottom of the table insert the following footnote:
Two changes needed:
Fatigue Accumulation Table (p. 400)
At the bottom of the table insert the following footnote:

Xotl: corrected, thanks!
« Last Edit: 06 June 2022, 20:13:29 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #1204 on: 06 June 2022, 20:59:53 »
Glorious 6 of June errata up to the main site for:

BattleMech Manual
A Time of War
Alpha Strike: Commander's Edition
Alpha Strike Companion (including the heat conversion document, which receives a very small correction)
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1205 on: 07 June 2022, 07:46:20 »
Errors in the final version of AS: Commander’s Edition Errata v5.0 document:

p. 15

2)   ⑤ Footnote 9, second sentence
Change to:
2)   ⑤ Footnote 9

pp. 16, 20 ⑤ Movement Cost Table ([...]
Change both entries to the following:

Footnote 9

Infantry, ground vehicles, ProtoMechs, and WiGEs may not perform elevation changes greater than 1” per 1” travelled.
’Mechs may not make elevation changes over 2” per 1” travelled.
Change to:
Infantry, ground vehicles, ProtoMechs, and WiGEs may not perform elevation changes greater than 1” per 2” travelled.
’Mechs may not make elevation changes over 2” per 2” travelled.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2022, 08:04:31 by Alfaryn »

ArcFurnace

• Sergeant
« Reply #1206 on: 09 June 2022, 20:45:47 »
In a fairly recent errata to TO:AR, a note was added to the "Searchlights" sections of Light Conditions (page 56) under "Full Moon Night/Glare" and "Moonless Night/Solar Flare" headings, indicating that a unit with an active searchlight can ignore the movement penalty from Full Moon Night or Moonless Night (which seems very logical).

Was it intentional that Pitch Black was left out of this adjustment? It does not have any such note. I believe the original errata was to resolve rules differences between BMM and TO:AR, and BMM does not mention the Pitch Black light condition, but logically a searchlight should do something about the movement penalty even in total darkness.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #1207 on: 26 June 2022, 13:25:14 »
Looking back at them now, the Hull Down Vehicles rules on TO:AR p. 19 are pretty urgently in need of some tweaking. Hull-down from half-level hexes on turretless vehicles always causes damage to go to the front... even though it doesn't look like there's anything stopping a vehicle from receiving hull-down benefits from half-level hexes from receiving those benefits to the rear and sides. I'd replace the entire fourth and fifth paragraphs of the section with the following:
First, if a vehicle (including a landing VTOL/WiGE) is adjacent to a hex that is a half-level higher than the hex the unit occupies, and LOS for an incoming attack is traced through that hex, the vehicle is considered hull-down. The attack gains a +2 modifier, and any damage that strikes the hit location corresponding to the protected side is ignored (identically to rolling a leg hit against a 'Mech in partial cover, see TW p. 102). Attacks from other directions are resolved normally.
This prevents tanks from gaining arbitrary hull-down benefits on half-level hexes even when the hex itself should provide no cover (for instance, a half-level hex surrounded by other hexes of equal elevation). In addition, it removes the punishing attribute of having all damage, regardless of potential hit location, focused on the turret (or front, if there is no turret); I find the current rules produce an effect similar to the old partial cover rules that made headshots way more likely.

In keeping with that last point, here's my proposed replacement for the last sentence of the sixth paragraph:
When attacking from the Front or Side, any damage to the Front or Side hit locations are ignored (see above).
I'd recommend appending this as its own paragraph to the end of the section for the sake of thoroughness:
Vehicles cannot, under any circumstances, benefit from hull down against adjacent enemies.
And, a little bit of clean-up to account for the new changes. First, replace the third paragraph with the following:
A vehicle can go hull-down in two situations (note that in all situations the standard Hit Location Tables are used).
And lastly, replace the first word of the sixth paragraph with:
Second

Hopefully, this will do a lot to make Hull Down Vehicles a bit more consistent, useful, and less needlessly risky. Going hull down in a prepared position will be pretty powerful, but remember that unless you already have built positions pre-placed on the map, it's going to take at least three turns to set them up, not counting the actual time to transport the infantry to the correct hex. That's plenty of time in most cases for a cheeky bug 'Mech to slip in and cook the vulnerable trench engineers before they can finish.

Anyways, please discuss.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Generalripphook

• Corporal
« Reply #1208 on: 28 June 2022, 11:54:18 »
Where is the best place to post a critique about the quality/standards of a story included in shrapnel?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1209 on: 28 June 2022, 12:03:19 »
unless they are actual errors, they're not errata. if you believe something in an article is in error, the correct place is here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/errata/shrapnel-the-official-battletech-magazine/

you should post any critiques here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/novel-and-sourcebook-reviews/

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #1210 on: 29 June 2022, 08:00:21 »
Per JHS:3072 p. 51 (New Brothers), should the Outworlds Alliance not have access to the Issus circa Civil War?
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1211 on: 29 June 2022, 09:07:26 »
Per JHS:3072 p. 51 (New Brothers), should the Outworlds Alliance not have access to the Issus circa Civil War?

Wrong thread, but good catch. Adjusted for the Jihad era, but the CW era will remain the same.
« Last Edit: 29 June 2022, 09:45:20 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1212 on: 12 July 2022, 06:04:19 »
Re-engineered lasers are pulse type, right? At least according to BMM page 111 and 122 they are.

Because it seems every instance of re-engineered lasers in Recognition Guide record sheets lists them as [DE] type. Doesn't seem to be a major issue but wanting to make sure and wondering if this should be reported as errata?

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #1213 on: 15 July 2022, 14:07:12 »
Since there doesn't seem to be a thread for the ForcePack Record Sheets... let me just drop this here before I forget.

ForcePack Record Sheets - Wave 2

Error: Rules Level erroneously listed as Advanced.

Solution: Change "Rules Level: Advanced" to "Rules Level: Introductory".
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1214 on: 16 July 2022, 19:53:42 »
The Hatchetman may be classed as advanced because of its full head ejection system, but that would also apply to the Wolfhound. And previously that was dealt with as a footnote for advanced play rather than changing the tech level of the unit.

So... *shrug*?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #1215 on: 16 July 2022, 20:45:19 »
It's also listed as Introductory on the MUL, though rules levels are a little... weird over there.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1216 on: 16 July 2022, 20:47:16 »
Oh?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #1217 on: 16 July 2022, 21:48:25 »
Yep. Specifically the HTC-3F.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1218 on: 16 July 2022, 22:32:11 »
What’s weird about it?
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #1219 on: 16 July 2022, 23:07:50 »
Mostly stuff like infantry being classified as Introductory, despite not appearing before Total Warfare.
But then, outside of what's explicitly stated on p. 167 of CO, the Introductory-Standard divide is a bit nebulous in general at the moment.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1220 on: 17 July 2022, 22:12:36 »
there were a few dozen units classified as intro that had no business being there - a few support vees, industrial mechs, and the Field Report 2765 warships of all things. those have been changed. overall about three dozen units put in the wrong drawer out of 9000+. i am amused that those warships have been misclassified for the better part of a decade and no one has so much as noticed or cared to report it.

The hatchetman and wolfhound are introtech unless you decide to play with the full head ejection rule. that's been the case since RS:3039u (2009)

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #1221 on: 17 July 2022, 22:31:49 »
I remember the WarShip thing being brought up, but I forget why it was never fixed until recently. Ah well.

And yeah, FHE does complicate things, unfortunately. Well, regardless, thanks for the fixes.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2022, 22:41:47 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1222 on: 17 July 2022, 22:46:00 »
I find it weird there isn't a HCT-3K recordsheet.

@Sartris :

Hachetman-3F fluff has the Combine racking up with plenty of salvage from Bush Wars, and it's cannonical that they were first to create the Sword melee feature. They saw that the Barbaric Hachet wasn't Bushido enough for their warriors to gain Meiyo, honor.

YET, we have no official RS to reflect this untill 26 (!) years... Not even a proto-type listing... Officially it's the -5K.

That I think is sad for those that want(ed) to fight before the Clans. Even as far as removing the +1 damage to the attack due to the strengthing they would need to reinforce the final product and adding to that, a disclaimer, for ever hit equals a critical roll against breakage.

( Note : 1 point per 5 tons Hatchet, -1 to-hit vs. 1 point per 10 tons +1, -2 to-hit. )

I'm just preplexed is all...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1223 on: 17 July 2022, 22:52:34 »
should one appear, we'll be sure to add it

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1224 on: 05 August 2022, 12:17:57 »
So, there seems to be some differences in latest TW and BMM in regards of standing up with one leg.
BMM indicates only one PSR is needed even if more would be required normally, TW makes no mention of this. And per TW, for purposes of attacker movement, standing up one-legged is considered running, but this implies it it is not running for other stuff (like heat generation), BMM just says it is running movement.

BMM page 44, TW page 121.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2022, 12:30:26 by Empyrus »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #1225 on: 05 August 2022, 13:04:09 »
I'll look into it: thanks.

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #1226 on: 05 August 2022, 13:11:42 »
Welcome back by the way, Xotl.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #1227 on: 05 August 2022, 13:19:21 »
Thanks. :)  Still in Poland for another month, but I do peak in from time to time to make sure that something I'm responsible for hasn't been set on fire.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2022, 14:57:01 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #1228 on: 05 August 2022, 15:18:11 »
So, there seems to be some differences in latest TW and BMM in regards of standing up with one leg.
BMM indicates only one PSR is needed even if more would be required normally, TW makes no mention of this.

In TW this isn't mentioned on p. 122, but is covered on p. 49, under Minimum Movement.  The text there is not perfectly clear on that point, but that was the intent; hence the further clarification in the BMM.

And per TW, for purposes of attacker movement, standing up one-legged is considered running, but this implies it is not running for other stuff (like heat generation), BMM just says it is running movement.

Similarly, the BMM text is the clarification, as TW wasn't clear in this regard.

In both cases these were just parts that I never got around to going back and rewriting the appropriate TW section, as there were so many clarifying rewrites like this that there was no way I could get them all done.  So, some parts were clarified if I had the room in TW, the time, and the space on the page (and I remembered to), but some were not.  I'll flag these for a future reprint of TW and see about getting them in, though I can't promise they'll make it.  To be clear, the BMM text is correct in both cases, and takes precedence over TW.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1229 on: 05 August 2022, 15:46:26 »
Thank you!

Love the clarity BMM has brought to many rules!

Register