Author Topic: Players in south Chicagoland  (Read 8940 times)

abou

• Captain
Players in south Chicagoland
« on: 01 February 2015, 13:39:03 »
I currently live in the Joliet/Crest Hill area. I've never managed to be able to get a regular game going as it seemed all my friends who did play the game were just incredibly flaky. I think in 20 years I've been lucky to have played 30ish games total. I've never been able to make it up to the Chicagoland monthly game as I always seem to have work. But I'd like to play with a bit more frequency than once a month -- maybe every other week.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
Re: Players in south Chicagoland
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2015, 15:01:21 »
Where are you thinking about playing?
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

abou

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2015, 17:07:36 »
As far as I know, there aren't a lot of stores that have tabletop setups. I'm usually able to drive about 20-30 minutes without much issue; maybe more depending on the day.

This spring , once I close on a house, I'll have a basement.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2015, 10:35:10 »
Seriously? No one?  One of the most populous regions in the country and there is no one on the fora in my area?

captnchuck67

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2015, 13:58:12 »
I am on the South SIde of the City. I agree not much round these parts.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2015, 18:14:19 »
captnchuck67, where are you based?

captnchuck67

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2015, 19:44:03 »
In the city near Downtown

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2015, 22:19:46 »
South Loop?

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

captnchuck67

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2015, 09:14:55 »
Bridgeport

RaiderRed

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2015, 18:45:49 »
I currently run games once a month in Portage Indiana. I know it is a drive from Joilet. I am hoping to start running games more often should I get enough players showing up.

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2015, 19:13:35 »
There is a very large group based out of Games Plus in Mt. Prospect. From Joliet, it's about an hour's drive (probably a little more even). We've drawn players from as far west as Geneva and Rochelle and from all parts North but there's really been very little response from anything south of I-88 and especially south of I-55. There will be a game on the 22nd at Games Plus run by fellow agent OrangeWoman (a post with more details will be forthcoming) and you are more than welcome to attend.

As far as other players down that way, unfortunately I just don't know of any in your area.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2015, 10:29:33 »
I'm in Lowell, IN and have been going to the events hosted by RaiderRed.  Definitely could use someone else to shoot at---err, play with.   ;)
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

abou

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 09 February 2015, 21:48:56 »
Glad there are some people in the area.

I had some family/medical stuff come up this past week so give me a bit of time to get back to you guys.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2015, 16:35:43 »
There used to be an active group that included a number of BT players out south of Joliet.  The shop they gamed at has changed name and location several times, but I think their current base is Dragon's Refuge in Peotone.  My info is dated, though (I last gamed with the group about 10 years ago) so I'm not sure if any of the old BT players are still active.   
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

cat97628

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 11 February 2015, 13:06:57 »
I am down in Bourbonnais and do play at the dragons refuge. There are players but nothing is scheduled or regular. They have a game day every couple months and we do play alpha strike but even that is hit and miss. I would love to get regular games going somewhere even if it's a basement or garage. I have a buddy in lisle that also plays and we have been talking about starting an alpha strike campaign. We have have both been getting our forces together and are close to a regiment worth of equipment each. I also have been repainting and rebasing MWDA clicks to use for combined warfare alpha strike. The games we have been running are about 3 companies per side on a 4x8 table. I do have room to do a massive game on a 6x12 table in my garage when it warms up a bit.

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 11 February 2015, 22:29:42 »
15 yrs ago, I used to play with a group in the Bridgeview/Hickory-Hills area (294 north, exit off at 95th).  Most of those guys were 8~10 yrs older than I am, and always knee-deep in milk-crates full of Robotech, CBT record books, TROs, and pewter minis.  Two, for certain, moved onto C.A.V., including demoing for terrain-building (which I thought at the time was stupid, but now regret appreciating his skills).  I still have 2 painted CAV models (Dictator, Rhino) from him, but haven't seen nor heard from any of them since.

RaiderRed is my demo-guy now for all things BT/AlphaStrike, and Peotone is damn-near straight west from Lowell (used to take Indiana Ave to Cicero to goto work in Monee).

I know that doesn't help Abou, but its nice to know that there are games and gamers closer than we realize
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

RaiderRed

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2015, 19:29:21 »
I know I will resume regular games starting in April since March 7 I will be running several games in Valparisio Indiana for Arcticon.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2015, 13:33:57 »
Sorry to disappear, guys. I'll follow-up in a bit. Just stressed with getting stuff together for my mortgage loan.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: 23 February 2015, 21:51:09 »
Sorry to disappear, guys. I'll follow-up in a bit. Just stressed with getting stuff together for my mortgage loan.

Get used to that feeling. The wife and I felt like the deal was going to fall apart up until we heard that the funds were successfully transferred at the closing.

captnchuck67

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 25 February 2015, 15:55:07 »
Well the Dice Dojo opened a South Side location on 2100 s Michigan in the city. GOing to check it out. If it is anything like the North side location there will be a ton of space for gaming

cat97628

• Private
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2015, 21:58:55 »
So we have determined that there are players on the south side. Who is up for a game and where?

RaiderRed

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 28 February 2015, 15:27:58 »
I know I have players coming from as far away as Indianapolis next Saturday in Valpariso Indiana any and all are welcome proceedes this year are going to veteran based charities.

cat97628

• Private
« Reply #22 on: 28 February 2015, 21:49:14 »
would love to come but not really interested in CBT. Would love to get into a big game of Alpha Strike. Also coming from Illinois and getting to Valpo by 9:00 would be rough with the time change. 

RaiderRed

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #23 on: 02 March 2015, 18:58:43 »
I am running 2 different Alpha Strike games and actually the time change happens much further east than Valpo.

cat97628

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 02 March 2015, 19:39:27 »
Well if that's the case then I am in and may have a second

abou

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 03 March 2015, 10:35:09 »
Hey guys, glad to see the interest.  Just an update on my end so that you know I'm not a flake.

The house is coming along and closing is this Friday. It was last Friday, but...

My dad has had a number of health issues, which finally caught up with him. Funeral was yesterday. I'll just need some time to get life in order.

cat97628

• Private
« Reply #26 on: 03 March 2015, 11:38:39 »
Good luck man and sorry for your loss. No worries we all will still be here when life settles down a bit

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #27 on: 03 March 2015, 14:14:53 »
I live in the Joliet/Crest Hill area.   :)  However, I have not had the time to game lately...  I got a lot going on right now.  Maybe I'll hit you up when I finish painting my Alpha Strike rebel force "Litany Against Fear."  Just ordered a lot of tanks, few fighters, from IWM a day ago.  I'm not a very serious player at all...  always been more of the "opfor" guy.

I'm sorry for your loss.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

captnchuck67

• Corporal
« Reply #28 on: 03 March 2015, 16:30:56 »
Sorry for your loss.
I am getting my Merc force togetther. Circa 4SW Irish Lords. About a Regt in Strength. Mixed 2 batt of mech.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 03 March 2015, 16:40:57 »
I'm definitely an old-school SW-era fan. I'll play other eras, but I just enjoy the early stuff the most.

Fear Factory, are you telling me we've been in the same town this whole time?! I was wondering who the other person was buying BattleTech stuff from local hobby stores.