Author Topic: Coming Soon to MegaMek  (Read 262367 times)

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Coming Soon to MegaMek
« on: 24 May 2017, 16:25:46 »
Hera versus Clan Light Star.

The End

Amazing what Multi-Crew Mek can do....
« Last Edit: 07 February 2021, 17:22:21 by Hammer »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: Coming Soon to MegaMek
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2017, 17:50:45 »
 [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool]

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2017, 07:56:31 »
Ooh. Shiny!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2017, 20:43:20 »
Nice!  Does that mean command consoles and dual cockpits are going to work as well?
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2017, 21:42:33 »
So the Quadvees and the smaller Tripods are going be multi-crew too?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2017, 10:17:14 »
Nice!  Does that mean command consoles and dual cockpits are going to work as well?

So the Quadvees and the smaller Tripods are going be multi-crew too?

Yes. Neo who's coded it can clarify. But from playing around multi-crew cockpits can really tip the balance.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2017, 17:14:07 »
Tripods, command consoles, and the now-unofficial dual cockpits (from the Mechwarrior Companion) are all working. This will also handle the crew requirements for QuadVees, though there's a lot more to be done to get them functioning. Damage and skills are tracked separately for the two crew members (three in the case of superheavy tripods), and each makes a separate roll to avoid falling damage. If one is incapacitated the other takes over automatically, but without the advantages of having a dedicated pilot/gunner (possibly penalties, depending on the cockpit type). Only the active pilot receives feedback damage from ammo explosions.

What remains now is to add support to MekHQ for assigning crew members and processing units and personnel after a battle. I'm hoping to get to that in the next day or two.

*Summary for those who aren't familiar with the rules for these equipment types:

Tripod 'Mech: Dedicated pilot gives -1 to PSRs (in addition to -1 for Tripod). If another has to pilot, +2 instead. Dedicated gunner does not get a secondary target penalty until the fourth target. If another has to gun, this is lost and weapon attacks are at +2.

Superheavy Tripod 'Mech: as above, plus a technical/tactical officer that gives +2 to any roles to avoid shutdown or ammo explosion due to heat, and +1 (+2 if force commander) to initiative rolls (non-cumulative)

Cockpit command console: One crew member handles piloting/gunning and the other handles command duties. They can switch during the end phase of any turn, or at any time if one is incapacitated. If there is an active commander the force receives +2 initiative (non-cumulative) and does not receive penalties for spotting and firing weapons in the same turn.

Dual cockpit: Dedicated pilot gives -1 on PSRs and superior evasion gives an extra +1 movement penalty to enemy fire if the 'Mech moves at least one hex. Dedicated gunner gets -1 on attack roles, halves penalty for attacker movement (rounded down), gets secondary target penalty starting with the third target, and ignores the first sensor hit. If either is incapacitated the other takes over but loses the advantages and gets a +1 penalty when performing the other crew member's role. The dual cockpit does not exist on any of the units distributed with MM, but it is an option in MML for custom units at the unofficial rules level.

RexfelisLXIX

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2017, 17:31:29 »
The tripod torso/turret also helps.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2017, 13:54:31 »
Does the multi track quirk or special ability stack with a dedicated gunner?

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2017, 17:29:57 »
Does the multi track quirk or special ability stack with a dedicated gunner?
Neither the multi-track quirk nor the multi-tasker SPA affect the number of primary targets, so there is nothing to stack.

The multi-track quirk removes the secondary target penalty for front and side targets, so a dedicated gunner would only apply the +2 penalty for targets in the rear, but the penalty would only start with the fourth target overall (third for dual cockpit). So if there are four targets in the front and two in the rear, both rear targets are +2 (ordinarily one of the front targets would be +1). If there are two in the front and four in the rear, only three of the rear targets are at +2.

The multi-tasker SPA reduces all secondary target modifiers by one, so there would never be a penalty for any targets in the front, regardless of number, and the sides are rear would be +1 instead of +2, starting with the fourth target overall.

On the topic of SPAs, I looked at tracking them separately and for those that naturally fall to a certain role would depend on who is currently performing that role. So if the pilot has Maneuvering Ace (for instance) it is effective only while the pilot is active; if the pilot is incapacitated and the gunner takes over, the advantages are lost and vice-versa for gunnery abilities like Range Master. After looking at what it would take to make that work, I decided to defer for now so that the basic changes could be tested, then implement crewmember-specific SPAs later.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2017, 18:05:28 »
While I like the idea of using the special skills depending on who is piloting, it sounds like a major headache. 

I wonder if for simplicities sake you could say that the special abilities are only in effect when preforming your primary role? 
I could easily see the secondary controls not having enough data to let a pilot use his rangemaster ability effectively, or a commander having enough fine control to use maneuvering ace. 

I also see the headache where the three people controlling a superheavy tripod all have different weapon specializations and you want each person firing his preferred weapon in addition to their normal role. 
I say nip that min maxing right in the bud. 
But if you ever want the machoism you could check which person would be best at the assigned task and let them preform it.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2017, 21:12:31 »
Just going to leave this here.

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2017, 21:38:47 »
Just going to leave this here.

Is...is that...is that what I think it is?

{>{> {>{> {>{> {>{>

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2017, 21:53:36 »
Hell ****** yeah.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #14 on: 18 June 2017, 22:58:53 »
Is...is that...is that what I think it is?

{>{> {>{> {>{> {>{>

Me weeping tears of blood while I drew hose icons?

Yep
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #15 on: 18 June 2017, 23:57:31 »
I didn't realize QuadVees were going to be so popular. I was mostly implementing them to work out mode conversion on simpler units before moving on to LAMs. But I have to admit I'm kind of itching to play around with them. Hammer's not the only Horses fan on the dev team.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #16 on: 19 June 2017, 01:05:25 »
I have been absolutely dying to play with the two OmniQuadVees since they debuted, so knowing that I'll finally get to try them out has me super excited.

Does this also mean we'll be able to build QuadVees in MegaMekLab?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

arlith

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2017, 07:08:32 »
Does this also mean we'll be able to build QuadVees in MegaMekLab?

Not unless neoancient also plans on doing that.  It's not automatically guaranteed and represents a lot of additional work.
Member of the MegaMek Team.

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #18 on: 19 June 2017, 17:03:39 »
QuadVees don't differ very much from quad 'Mechs in construction details so it won't take that much to add QuadVee construction. Record sheets are another matter, though it should print a passable quad record sheet that just lacks the second crew damage track and the cruising/flanking MP.

I'll also need to add some parts to MekHQ.

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #19 on: 25 June 2017, 11:03:50 »
How's this?

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #20 on: 26 June 2017, 00:52:46 »
 :Jumpy:

- Klarg1

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 26 June 2017, 05:46:36 »
Sweet work neoancient!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 26 June 2017, 13:17:42 »
curious will there be a convert/change button and will there be a change in how its treated either as vehicle or mech?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #23 on: 26 June 2017, 13:29:13 »
curious will there be a convert/change button and will there be a change in how its treated either as vehicle or mech?

Their will be a convert button (I'll let Neo expand on that). They will follow the rules from IO depending on what mode its in.

Its really cool, even its sprite changes when you convert.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 26 June 2017, 18:37:15 »
Their will be a convert button (I'll let Neo expand on that). They will follow the rules from IO depending on what mode its in.

Its really cool, even its sprite changes when you convert.
forgot to ask earlier
how is the damadge going to be handled
specificly conversion equipment?
also will damdge  will be treated differently for each mode?

i cannot wait to get my claws on this build....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #25 on: 15 July 2017, 17:24:11 »
Example of Bad Driving.

Note too self boat needs to stay with floaty side down

Hetzer Racing!

WiGE in Cities, you collapse a building and you collapse a building.

Graveyard of the SLDF

Not everythings dead?

Always two there are....

What happens would you see an Atlas across the field
Note this last one is a mp4 video hosted on Dropbox.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2017, 18:34:43 by Hammer »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #26 on: 15 July 2017, 17:32:07 »
Cool, thanks!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 15 July 2017, 18:17:18 »
sooo.... can i stop sharpening my claws now?

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #28 on: 15 July 2017, 22:00:57 »
Then there's the bootlegger maneuver, which can only be truly appreciated if you see it in action.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #29 on: 17 July 2017, 22:59:11 »
Do those LAMs mean I'll get my Svartalfas too? Also, any notion yet as to when the next release will drop?

- Klarg1

Register