Author Topic: Question about Heavy Metal Map Paper Sizes  (Read 1650 times)

kronovan

• Corporal
Question about Heavy Metal Map Paper Sizes
« on: 18 April 2019, 12:00:20 »
I noted that the Heavy Metal forums are no longer available, so I'm hoping it's OK to post a query here about the product and that someone might be able to answer my question.

I've noted on the product website that Heavy Metal Map can print to 8.5"x11" letter size pages. I really need a mapping app that can print to 11"x17" tabloid size paper, as that's by far the most economical paper size to use in my area. As well, there's no service bureaus or printers in my area that can handle a 18"x22" paper size. If anyone who owns the HMM could confirm whether or not the app can print to tabloid size paper, I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2019, 12:56:58 by kronovan »

pascal

• Corporal
Re: Question about Heavy Metal Map Paper Sizes
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2019, 10:58:58 »
I don't know about HMM, but...
If HMM can export a big full resolution image, you can cut the map to any specific paper size using a graphics program like GIMP (or Photoshop or whatever).
And on the topic of GIMP/Photoshop, depending on the level of detail you want in your maps, it's not too hard to create maps from scratch using merely GIMP/Photoshop.
For example: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=64737.0 YouTube has some videos on how to do this, mostly targeting roleplaying games like D&D, although the principles are identical.

You may want to consider looking around for a PVC banner printing company.
PVC banners will hold up much better over time than prints on paper.
And in most parts of the world PVC banner printing has seen a lot of competitive pressure, so it might not be much more expensive.
And since it's printed os a single sheet of PVC, you won't have any unslightly seams to contend with...
In my experience there's only one downside to printing on PVC banners, and that's resolution, generally speaking a print on paper will retain crisp detail better.

Assuming you're located in the US, as an example: https://www.signs.com/banners/   (I have NO particular experience with them)
A 18x22" print on PVC would cost you about 16USD (+possibly some shipping)

Compared to a 18x24" print on paper by Vistaprint costs 12USD (or Premium Matte at 19USD). And even with two tabloid sized prints, which is slightly too small, you'd end up a 2x6=12USD (again using Vistaprint pricing).

When ordering prints on PVC, make sure to ask for a matte finish, and don't forget to explicitly specify no grommet placement. You probably also don't want it to be hemmed, although that's a matter of taste.

Register