Author Topic: BattleTech: Counterspack: BattleForce  (Read 2941 times)

SANSd20

• Sergeant
BattleTech: Counterspack: BattleForce
« on: 25 August 2023, 09:35:10 »
Other than the color and being a physical product, what is the differences between this and the BattleForce Faction Counters: Mercenaries PDF? If there is a big difference, is it possible to get it in a PDF form?
Mecr KS back #244

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: BattleTech: Counterspack: BattleForce
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2023, 09:40:25 »
The counters are nice and thick, much nicer than you'd get printing at home and mounting on cardboard.  And you get a laminated Planetary Assault Map and a laminated, 2-sided map of the Inner Sphere with the borders as of 2786 and 3025.  The Inner Sphere map is hexed for Inner Sphere At War play
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2023, 09:53:51 »
The counters are nice and thick, much nicer than you'd get printing at home and mounting on cardboard.  And you get a laminated Planetary Assault Map and a laminated, 2-sided map of the Inner Sphere with the borders as of 2786 and 3025.  The Inner Sphere map is hexed for Inner Sphere At War play

So the counters themselves are the same?
Mecr KS back #244

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2023, 10:07:54 »
I'd need to go check, but they're functionally identical if not exactly the same tokens.

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2023, 10:37:17 »
Thanks! I do own the new set, but I am out of town so I can't check that out myself right now. Refresh my memory, the hexes on the IS map, they are the same size as the counters, correct?
Mecr KS back #244

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2023, 10:45:05 »
The counters are far bigger than the ones on the map, sadly

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2023, 11:38:49 »
More specifically, ISaW maps use much smaller hexes.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Zematus737

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2023, 11:50:23 »
Missing from the Merc copy are the Command and objective tokens. The commands are if you are playing with the Adv. rules, which I certainly recommend, as it makes up for some of the tactical aspects that are missing by introducing interruptions with spying.  These counters are found in the downloads page and you'll notice they are in color too.  It's the Basic Counters and is easy to miss, right above the Merc and Misc counters.  You're also not getting the actual Command/Request tokens you draw out of the bag at random -- and though you can easily make a list and use dice to draw them randomly it lends itself to cheating because you can never be certain if they are being honest with the dice roll without a 3rd party or GM.

Zematus737

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2023, 19:28:30 »
The counters are not just meant for use on the Planetary Map.  They are alo meant for use on the normal maps with BF or SBF scale play.  I don't think they were ever designed for use on the universe era maps.  You can use smaller proxies to represent forces on the space area of the Planetary Map and use the Capital Radar or Atmospheric Radar maps for confrontation within the hexes of the PM or use the PCM and SSRM maps if using the ACS scale.

I myself think these pieces are great.  Well worth the twenty bucks.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2023, 19:46:20 by Zematus737 »

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2024, 05:59:39 »
I think they are unsatisfied as the counter pack has done. But I think the main problem is the cost, having it the map included.

Perhaps those counters could have been sold with a lesser price tag. I really liked the idea to have them, but I didn' bought them because they were too pricey in my opinion. I was not interested at all in the map.
So I prefered to download the free counters from the website and I searched for some other fan-made counters. It is boring to cut and glue them, but anyway...

Register