Author Topic: Just checked out Destiny  (Read 7795 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
Just checked out Destiny
« on: 27 December 2020, 10:33:22 »
I personally like ATOW  better . Destiny though far more simple which I like .  went too far that way . All character's at least initially is far more cookie cutter Identical with very little variation.  Trying to get a ranked Cappellen is tough Citizen and Rank but no connections or title or income . I was hoping for a better designed and considered new RPG .

Some elements like plot points and narration I can see was going for a game tone and tempo was the only feature that would appeal to people new to role playing games but is somewhat out of sink with older players .

ATOW is a little too complex but you can do things to reduce it . And you get alot of difference in individuals . For me I like starting players as established characters veterans 28 year old Clanners and 31 year old Inner Sphere.  Give them 6,500 XP using the life paths as a guideline as to what they should have . With the Age chart bonuses it is not bad . Max 500 pts of Complications . Starting characters vehicle and Custom traits cost half but must increase equipment trait to reflect how advanced the tech you are accustomed to using .

Alex Keller

• Captain
Re: Just checked out Destiny
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2020, 16:45:35 »
Interesting.  Haven't seen Destiny yet.  I really like AToW's rule set.  The problem has been character creation, which is difficult for new players to understand. 

Isn't Destiny meant just to make Mechwarriors?  Or is it more comprehensive?

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2021, 15:46:49 »
It's a bit more comprehensive. It helps that if the Hardware trait is meaningless to your character, you can plow it into traits and skills.

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2021, 00:02:11 »
I'm considering using Destiny for my next RPG campaign.

My players aren't the most BT savvy.

So anything to simplify things to keep the story moving is good.