Author Topic: After Dark Age Novels  (Read 3188 times)

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
After Dark Age Novels
« on: 16 October 2023, 14:50:34 »
The last Battletech Novel I read was To Ride the Chimera.  I'm looking to catch up with the Spine novels and just want to make sure I've got my list correct. I have it going in the following order:

Redemption Rift
A Bonfire of Worlds
A Splinter of Hope/Anvil
Rock of the Republic
Hunting Season
Blood Will Tell
Shell Games
Divided We Fall
Hour of the Wolf
Redemption Rites
Damocles Sanction

Does this look right? Am I missing anything or is that list out of order (in universe timeline wise) in any way? I'm primarily looking for the overall arch leading up to Hour of the Wolf and the follow up.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Re: After Dark Age Novels
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2023, 16:06:49 »
The last Battletech Novel I read was To Ride the Chimera.  I'm looking to catch up with the Spine novels and just want to make sure I've got my list correct. I have it going in the following order:

Redemption Rift
A Bonfire of Worlds
A Splinter of Hope/Anvil
Rock of the Republic
Hunting Season
Blood Will Tell
Shell Games
Divided We Fall
Hour of the Wolf
Redemption Rites
Damocles Sanction

Does this look right? Am I missing anything or is that list out of order (in universe timeline wise) in any way? I'm primarily looking for the overall arch leading up to Hour of the Wolf and the follow up.

You might want to add Icons of War to that list, or you're going to be confused when you read Hour of the Wolf over the appearance of a certain Clan WarShip. After you read all of those, you might want to pick up the Elements of Treason novels -- EoT: Duty, EoT: Opportunity, and the newest one, EoT: Honor -- which looks at the reformation of the Tarmar Pact (Duty), the Vesper Marches (Opportunity), and a look at the Hell's Horses (Honor).

But then again, I'm biased about those four.... :grin:

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2023, 19:09:36 »
Thanks. I’ve picked up ilKhan and Dominions Divided, and a waiting to grab Empire Alone and Tamar Rising. So I’m basically looking for all the fiction that leads up to/goes along with them.

I will add your 4 suggestions to  my list though.

Also, it was totally inadvertent that I left the four you wrote off my list, 😂.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2023, 19:17:35 by 17thRecon »

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2023, 10:47:21 »
Lethal Lessons is missing ;)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2023, 12:53:23 »
In due time, in due time. I’ve got 6 arriving tomorrow or Sunday to get me started.

Swankmotron

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2023, 14:53:03 »
You're missing A Question of Survival which slots in between Redemption Rites and Damocles Sanction.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2023, 23:41:26 »
So far, I’ve knocked out Icons of War, Redemption Rift, A Bonfire of Worlds, and A Splinter of Hope. Thoroughly enjoying the fiction again. All of these have been good reads.

I’m about to get into The Anvil tomorrow. Then I’ve got Rock of the Republic, Hunting Season, Blood Will Tell, Shell Games, Grey Watch Protocol, and Paid in Blood in a stack on my night table ready to go.

On a slightly related note, it seems that the Shattered Fortress sourcebook (hard copy) is a new holy grail. I think the one copy I was able to locate online was like $160.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2023, 20:35:24 »
So far, I’ve knocked out Icons of War, Redemption Rift, A Bonfire of Worlds, and A Splinter of Hope. Thoroughly enjoying the fiction again. All of these have been good reads.

I’m about to get into The Anvil tomorrow. Then I’ve got Rock of the Republic, Hunting Season, Blood Will Tell, Shell Games, Grey Watch Protocol, and Paid in Blood in a stack on my night table ready to go.

On a slightly related note, it seems that the Shattered Fortress sourcebook (hard copy) is a new holy grail. I think the one copy I was able to locate online was like $160.
at least in this day and age you can get sourcebooks digitally which reduces the NEED for those books hard copy
The Suns will shine again

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2023, 01:46:11 »
at least in this day and age you can get sourcebooks digitally which reduces the NEED for those books hard copy

I just like holding something in my hands and turning pages, as opposed to scrolling, and I can never get PDFs to sit right on my bookshelf 😂. But yes, I’ll most likely go digital on that one.