Author Topic: What's in the pipeline?  (Read 266588 times)

klarg1

• Captain
Re: What's in the pipeline?
« Reply #870 on: 20 July 2018, 07:58:44 »
I am likely going to be doing my new favorite joint, the hybrid ball/cylinder joint.

The concept is that you have a ball joint with a very small cylinder sticking out of the center of it. The leg joint will be a mirror of that. Novice builders have a simple and straightforward way to to attach the legs. Expert builders can file off the cylinder, leaving only the ball point for maximum poseability.

Stinger, you're my hero too.  :thumbsup:

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #871 on: 20 July 2018, 13:21:39 »
Let me echo my approval of the pre-pinned ball joint. So nice not having to drill/pin tiny joints if I'm happy with the single axis of rotation for posing...which I usually am. Hopefully it doesn't get messy as the molds get older, but if it doesn't I'd say that one and the 'enormous cylinder' are my two favorite joints at the moment.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #872 on: 20 July 2018, 13:43:26 »
Let me echo my approval of the pre-pinned ball joint. So nice not having to drill/pin tiny joints if I'm happy with the single axis of rotation for posing...which I usually am. Hopefully it doesn't get messy as the molds get older, but if it doesn't I'd say that one and the 'enormous cylinder' are my two favorite joints at the moment.

You raise an interesting question: I wonder if a tapered pin (i.e. truncated cone, rather than straight cylinder) would be less prone to leaks and tears in the mold, and therefore less prone to having the socket filled by "leaked" metal during casting.

Stinger, any thoughts based on your experience?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #873 on: 20 July 2018, 18:39:57 »
Whether it's less prone or not, when they finally happen it's going to be much more annoying to drill out the proper shape without issues.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #874 on: 22 July 2018, 23:57:13 »
Failing that, making a divit to center your drill tip in on both pieces is nice, so they line up easier.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #875 on: 25 July 2018, 16:59:16 »
Yeah, the nice part about a straight-sided cylinder is that it is perfect for sticking a drill bit into if you need to clean it up. There are plenty of tiny pin drills that will fit about right into whatever size hole they use, but the hole needs to have parallel walls. The 'pin' on the ball joint can be cleaned up with files or a hobby knife, no matter what shape it ends up being. It is easier to clip off a pin than to try filing down, or cutting off flush, a cone.

Also, while I do love a faithful representation of the art, I want to thank IWM for limiting the number of small pieces, and the number of pieces in general, in many of the recent models. I started working on a Mongoose Gunslinger and a Primitive Wolverine last week. The Mongoose is together and on a base, while I'm still working on the Wolverine thanks to all its teeny, tiny bits that have to get cleaned up without ruining them, and then attached without ending up at a funny angle. I like the occasional fiddly model, but in general I'm not looking for parts I have to assemble with tweezers!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #876 on: 25 July 2018, 17:47:34 »
just keep repeating to yourself

"at least its not tiburon feet. at least it's not tiburon feet"

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #877 on: 25 July 2018, 18:53:39 »
The Tiburon is the only mini I ever actually flat out quit on.  I could not get the feet together.

Shame, too, since it's an otherwise nice mini.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #878 on: 25 July 2018, 20:12:49 »
I was packing up my miniatures for sale, and the Sagittaire straight-up broke off at the ankles when I picked it up. The next one of you sculptors that gives us separate feet, let me tell you... *shakes fist*
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #879 on: 25 July 2018, 20:56:46 »
Sometimes that's unavoidable, or would end up with another unsatisfying compromise. Mechs like the Mad Cat require the feet to be cast flat, and the legs to be cast sideways to avoid having gaps in the mold. At the very least, they'd have to have a separate toe, which would be another tiny, fiddly bit. With the 3050 omnis and others like them, I find it easier to pin completely through the foot, allowing a longer pin to have purchase in both the leg and basing material.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #880 on: 25 July 2018, 21:51:39 »
I wasn't being completely serious. ;)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #881 on: 26 July 2018, 07:25:17 »
It's all good; some people are more serious than others about this sort of thing. I figured there was some level of exaggeration in there. I figured that offering an explanation and possible solution may help someone reading, if not you specifically.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #882 on: 26 July 2018, 08:04:23 »
I saw this morning that the remaining minis for Q4's release schedule have been announced, a non-jumping Shadow Hawk SHD-2Hb (which will also be available at GenCon) and the Vixen 6, which is described in TRO 3150's NTNU section.

The Vixen 6 is an interesting choice.  I hope we get a record sheet for it by the end of the year.

I'm still waiting for my one FLGS that carries IWM minis to let me preorder the Q3 releases.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #883 on: 26 July 2018, 09:16:55 »
I saw this morning that the remaining minis for Q4's release schedule have been announced, a non-jumping Shadow Hawk SHD-2Hb (which will also be available at GenCon) and the Vixen 6, which is described in TRO 3150's NTNU section.

The Vixen 6 is an interesting choice.  I hope we get a record sheet for it by the end of the year.

I'm still waiting for my one FLGS that carries IWM minis to let me preorder the Q3 releases.

I have a Vixen 6 record sheet to post to IWM downloads closer to release.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #884 on: 26 July 2018, 09:40:55 »
Speck is the hero we need

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #885 on: 26 July 2018, 16:10:56 »
just keep repeating to yourself

"at least its not tiburon feet. at least it's not tiburon feet"

Oh god! I thought I had buried all those memories! That mini seriously needs 'beginner feet' and 'expert feet', so we consumers can decide to accept a less-optimal representation rather than descending into a pit of madness and rage trying to build those stupid ankles!

Also, to whomever did the Bruin arms: Don't ever make arms that connect like that again. I tried building them as-designed at first, but I breathed on one arm and it fell off. I'm pretty sure I ended up sticking a pin into the arm, bending it 90 degrees, and sticking the other end up into the torso, then slobbing a ton of super glue over it cover up the pin.

Anyway, back on topic: So Speck, does that Vixen 6 recordsheet have any friends? If so, how susceptible are you to bribery?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #886 on: 07 January 2019, 10:46:55 »
Idle Speculation Time! We have the Q1 trio - Ryoken III Prime, Crusader 8L (3085 sculpt), Swordsman (XTRO Primitive). What other nine mechs do you want to see?

here are the options

Brahma
Kuma
Parash
Ursus II

Archer 9M
BattleMaster 10S
Goliath 6H
Griffin 4R
Griffin IIC 6
Locust 5W2
Locust IIC 7
Longbow 12R
Marauder II 6D
Marauder IIC 7
Ostroc 5W
Ostscout 11J
Ostsol 9R
Phoenix Hawk 5L
Rifleman 7X
Scorpion 10M
Shadow Hawk 12C
Shadow Hawk IIC 7
Stinger 3P
Valkyrie QT2
Warhammer 11T
Wasp 8T
Wolverine 9W2

Prototypes
Apollo 4M
Arbiter
Deep Lord
Hatamoto-Kaeru
Legionnaire 2F
Orion 3-M
Pandarus 1A
Patron
Quickdraw 8P
Sarissa
Spindrift
Thunder C4
Ti Ts'ang DDC
Trebuchet K7R
Ursus 3
Wolf Trap 2B

3145/50
Celerity
Cylliaros
Mongrel
Neanderthal
Scourge
Storm Raider
Ursa
Violator

Boreas
Harpagos
Phoenix Hawk L
Raider
Scarecrow
Stalking Spider II
Viking IIC
Yinguochong

or are we getting some more surprise items like the 3145 NTNU like the Xanthos 6O or Vixen 6? Or XTRO entries?

Personally, I'd like to see the non-phoenix 3085 designs finished off this year with a secondary focus on shaving the 3145/50 list (NEANDERTHAL)

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #887 on: 07 January 2019, 11:12:40 »
Yinguochong and Viking IIC for me

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #888 on: 07 January 2019, 11:21:10 »
-Valkyrie QT2

Prototypes
-Spindrift

3145-50
-Yinguochong
(please make sure head can be poseable, images from the book always odd direction, like pointing Commando or the Wyvern mini.)
« Last Edit: 07 January 2019, 12:49:16 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #889 on: 07 January 2019, 12:16:37 »
All of them.

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #890 on: 07 January 2019, 19:30:05 »
I could certainly use a Brahma!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #891 on: 07 January 2019, 19:35:17 »
I can always use more Battlemasters.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #892 on: 07 January 2019, 19:56:51 »
Parash

The only 'Mech that I want on those lists.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #893 on: 07 January 2019, 20:32:22 »
I will soon have the 2nd quarter items to post.   :thumbsup:

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #894 on: 08 January 2019, 16:19:59 »
Still hoping the Defender gets done. A new warship is always nice.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #895 on: 08 January 2019, 18:58:19 »
Still hoping the Defender gets done. A new warship is always nice.

agreed 100%, we need more warships and mech scale aerofighters.

I will say yes to the brahma and scourge though.

speaking of which, i thought the scourge and ursa would be up for funding since they were 2nd/3rd in this pole: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63315.0

so maybe they'll just get releases this year?
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #896 on: 08 January 2019, 19:12:59 »
Their funding probably just hasn’t been opened yet. Sometimes there’s a gap between efforts

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #897 on: 08 January 2019, 23:45:32 »
I am crossing my fingers and hoping we will get to see the Wasp and Valkyrie this year. ^-^
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #898 on: 08 January 2019, 23:58:18 »
to be honest i left the classics off to avoid jinxing it

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #899 on: 09 January 2019, 02:46:55 »
While I still would love to see a Cruiser class cruiser, what I really would love to see is the BT1 Chaffee ServiceMech.

And the Erinyes ProtoMech. Because I'm insane.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Register