Author Topic: Light mech stories  (Read 15355 times)

RangerRob

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Campaign GM
Re: Light mech stories
« Reply #30 on: 15 March 2011, 14:44:44 »
Once had an armless Wasp, Charge my Griffin needing something like an 11,
Connecting pushing the Griffin off the 3rd floor of the large building we were on.

Wasp first had to make a piloting check for running on "pavement" to make the turn in order to line up the charge.

Course I missed my shots at him before the charge...

::)  Dice were with him that day...
Rangerrob

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 17 March 2011, 07:56:43 »
Favorite light mech story: Had a dude in our regular group who ran with a Victor (3025 timeframe). Wouldn't shut his mouth about how it was the "ultimate" design. Challenged him to a duel, and used a Locust-1V. Stayed to his left rear most of the game, even took an AC-20 slug to one of the arms but was able to knock off enough left torso armor to get a breach and touch off an ammo crit. After that the Victor was a "stupid design".
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

The Hawk

• Warrant Officer
  • Have talons, will travel.
« Reply #32 on: 17 March 2011, 08:52:39 »
Our L1 campaign's Hermes-1A pilot currently has a kill board that looks like this: CGR-1A1 Charger, mobility kill; RVN-1X Raven, mobility kill; LCT-1V Locust, mobility kill; WHM-6L Warhammer, mobility kill; RFL-3N Rifleman; SHD-2H Shadow Hawk, mobility kill; FFL-4A Firefly, assist; STG-3R Stinger.

The Warhammer was particularly impressive; she charged it and toppled it, the fall scoring an engine crit, at the end of a battle, costing her Hermes a leg and a gyro crit.  That wouldn't be noteworthy in and of itself, but she had already legged the Locust, Raven and Charger that day, as well as scoring a leg crit on a different Warhammer...

Spartan117

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 27 April 2011, 14:06:51 »
My brother was running a mission for me playing as pirates and I commanding a Clan Star to hunt them down.  My Ryoken took a cluster shot to the chest from a Garm.  He only hit will 2 shells.  He rolled a 2 on one of them. 2 Gyro crits later my mech was dead 3 turns into the game and only taking 2 total points of damage.  I could not believe he had just gutted my Ryoken B with a cluster shot.

My brother was running a mission for one of his friends.  He ran his Savannah Master behind his buddy's Archer ARC-2W, hit, rolled a 2, ammo crit and bye bye archer.  I know it's not a light mech story but I had to share.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2011, 14:12:38 by Spartan117 »

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 03 May 2011, 23:29:06 »
First time I ran the rattlesnake from battletechnologies. Big group battle I jumped in behind a crusader & with good grouping punched thru the back armor hit the ammo. Crusader went boom. The guy running said crusader lost his mind... dice went flying. He thought I was cheating because he thought it was a jenner F & there was no way it could have that many medium lasers.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #35 on: 10 May 2011, 18:07:36 »
Once in a tournament I had a JVN-10F Fire Javelin repeatedly land kicks on the right leg of a BNC-3S Banshee, and eventually succeed in kicking it off.  [rockon]
I have spoken.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 10 May 2011, 18:17:41 »
After a Solaris Duel against a Dervish-7D, I have new respect for the Locust-5M. 12/18 is some serious speed.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #37 on: 11 May 2011, 11:30:35 »
Just last week I went toe-to-toe with a pair of Vultures using a Javelin and a Komodo...
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #38 on: 11 May 2011, 12:21:24 »
How'd that work out?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2011, 03:27:00 »
See for yourself.  Now, granted I did have a phoenix hawk, warhammer and helios on my side, for the most part they were busy with the other three Clan Mechs.  At the end of the day my two guys did the vast majority of damage to one of the vultures, stripping off a side torso, and taking three or maybe four gauss rounds in total.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Natasha

• Private
« Reply #40 on: 12 May 2011, 05:12:05 »
There was a battle between the 1st Proserpina Hussars and the 3rd Donegal Guards on Shirotori. A Guards Stinger took full advantage of the broken terrain to hamper an enemy Dragon's movement early in the game by bravely blocking the best hexes for movement. After the Dragon reached better terrain, the Stinger dogged its heels and gave it grief, keeping away from melee range but inside the Dragon's minimum weapon range. Finally, a lucky laser shot cored into the Dragon's center torso and melted the gyro.
It was a lucky shot but the Stinger had worked hard for that kill.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #41 on: 12 May 2011, 10:12:07 »
See for yourself.  Now, granted I did have a phoenix hawk, warhammer and helios on my side, for the most part they were busy with the other three Clan Mechs.  At the end of the day my two guys did the vast majority of damage to one of the vultures, stripping off a side torso, and taking three or maybe four gauss rounds in total.
It was a mighty performance from the Javelin. Aside from those missed kicks.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 15 May 2011, 04:00:10 »
This was some time back.

I was running a Hussar with an ERPPC on it.  On a lucky roll I manage to hit a Nightstar in the face.  A few turns later the Hussar ends up standing on a hill above the Nightstar.  The units exchange fire and hit nothing but dirt.  Come the physicals phase, the Hussar kicks the Nightstar in the head, taking out the last couple of structure points and splattering the mechwarrior.

MarauderCH

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 16 May 2011, 09:50:00 »
I had a Kit Fox triple engine crit a Dire Wolf that hadn't even been damaged yet once. It was quite the moment!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #44 on: 16 May 2011, 12:30:39 »
Best story that comes to life is during a Solaris 7 Underwater duel... Wasp-1L(B) with SRT-4, not the standard (A) SRM-4 variant, vs Panther-9R(B), same SRT-4 as me. I fired them at longrange needed a 12, rolled got a hit. Rolled again, 1 SRT!  >:( Headshot!  :o At this point I am [notworthy] for an 8 or better, I get a 9. Woot! Breach baby. Crit roll : yes! Postion : cockpit.

Hope your pilot can swim from 3 depths down. In his defense he fired at me as well hitting my CT with a PPC, failed breach rolled, and the Left Arm and Leg both get hit with a SRT shot. Leg gets a breach, but arm survives. We both didn't have the money to replace our JJs with UMUs, well I did but chose to buy more ammo for my Hunchbacks for an upcoming raid.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Guitardian

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 20 May 2011, 15:08:58 »

The most recent one: 4 stock Jenners versus an opposing lance of (all 3025 also) Awesome, Zeus, Banshee, Cyclops. Such a ridiculous matchup, fortunately the  terrain was very very open, leaving lots of room to run11, and a few heavy woods even to Jump5 into when I start overheating, making me very hard to hit. My pilots were 4/3 veterans and his were 6/4 green.

By timing it right, correct number of lasers/missiles, getting in at full throttle at a spot where there would be heavy woods to jump into as soon as the heat became a movement penalty, all 4 jenners stayed at exactly the same heat: run+2ML+SRM4 on the closing turn, same for 3 turns afterwards, round and round in circles never less than 7 hexes of movement, playing with range brackets of target's weapons - then one extreme volley of everything and 4 kick attacks, leaving them at +11 heat after dissipation with a dead assault mech, or at least a topled leg useless one. final turn after the big end blast, jump away into the woods and run away while cooling off for a turn...

Repeated this identical mob attack first on the awesome, then the cyclops (who did manage to AC20 one of my jenners splat dead), left with 3 jenners almost unharmed and a zeus and banshee out of ammo.

So after the third 'wave' in, the zeus became a real problem because even out of ammo it was still taking a good toll with LL and ML and the rear ML, it didnt hit often but every time it did it was a big deal to the flimsy jenner armor and one of my guys came 1 point away from a leg shot out and with an engine AND gyro hit, and no arms... he evacuated away behind a little elevation area while the last two finally brought down the zeus. Banshee still lurching around with its PPC just happened to miss with great regularity until it blew one of their legs off, and punched out the other's head ALL IN ONE TURN, while it was trying to kick it off its feet from behind it swivelled torso to slap the jenner and yup.. crit hit.. head goes fying.

One legless jenner 2 hexes away from the big dumb banshee.. the crippled armless, gyro-hit buddy who was hiding from earlier re-engages coming in full blast with its only weapon left and catches the banshee with and SRM CT crit to the gyro. Banshee falls on its bum with a crash, jenner races away again.. next turn it tries to get up.. twice... crash.. crash... and the next turn... and the next... the last mobile jenner decides to spend the rest of the game kicking it to death... which took 5 turns.

retroactively applied infallibility gets me through the day.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #46 on: 23 May 2011, 12:55:41 »
Light mechs.  Behold the power, if used properly.

Negatorxx

• Sergeant
  • 44th Shadow Division
« Reply #47 on: 27 May 2011, 16:02:37 »
Locust 6M got a rear charge on an Emperor for 40 damage, twice.  killing it
-Bringing Blake's Peace to megamek servers since 2009

http://www.mekwarslegends.com/Home_Page.html

scatcat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 27 May 2011, 17:02:11 »
I once made a full frontal 1 hex charge in a Wasp against a Marauder 2. (all 3025 tech) Killed the Mad 2's gyro as he missed a kick.  ;D

Saul

• Private
  • 7th Legionnaires "The Renegade Legion"
« Reply #49 on: 29 May 2011, 19:00:50 »
A Stinger missing his right arm jumps behind an undamaged Atlas. Fires its MG, hits, rolls a crit, floating headhit, cockpit end of story.

My second was a campaign game as merc with a company vs. binary (10 Ullers) battle. Two medium lances and the third had four Locust 1M.
Only the Locusts survived and they had destoyed 5 of the 10 claners.

MistWolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Have Gauss, Will Travel
« Reply #50 on: 05 June 2011, 06:25:09 »
One battle I set up as a GM, found two of my best players facing off with each other in the ruins of a city. I don't recall what all mechs were on the board, but the first player backed his Atlas against what was left of a multi-storied building to protect his rear armor. Somewhere during the battle, the Atlas had taken a shot to the head. The second player jumped his Jenner onto the remains of the building. We rolled randomly for the construction value of the building to see if it'd collapse under the 35 tons of the little mech and the building held. By this time the Jenner was over heating which caused it to miss with it's laser fire. But it kicked the Atlas at the end of the turn and scored a hit! Since the Jenner was two levels higher, the kick was rolled on the punch hit location The result was a 6 and the kick did enough damage to crush the cockpit & kill the pilot of the Atlas
Obviously jumping into close proximity of a supernova is not going to be good for your warranty

"House Davion, soon after its inception, established itself as a force for freedom in the Inner Sphere. Again, though, this is a relative term. House Davion does not support the Communist, hippie, let’s-all-take-care-of-each-other kind of freedom. No. They have always worked more along the lines of the we-will-occasionally-need-to-invade-your-nation-because-you-don’t-strike-us-as-freedom-loving-enough kind of freedom. To their credit, House Davion leaders occasionally mention the concept of “freedom” as a positive thing, which puts them a ways ahead of peer, say, House Liao and House Kurita" -Battlerun- Best Ever

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 05 June 2011, 10:24:38 »
A mech that's one level above its target kicks on the punch table.  A mech that's two level higher can't make physicals.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

MistWolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Have Gauss, Will Travel
« Reply #52 on: 05 June 2011, 16:19:35 »
We were using 3D terrain. As the Jenner stood on the floor of the ruins, the head of the Atlas was at perfect punting height and became the victim of a successful field goal attempt
Obviously jumping into close proximity of a supernova is not going to be good for your warranty

"House Davion, soon after its inception, established itself as a force for freedom in the Inner Sphere. Again, though, this is a relative term. House Davion does not support the Communist, hippie, let’s-all-take-care-of-each-other kind of freedom. No. They have always worked more along the lines of the we-will-occasionally-need-to-invade-your-nation-because-you-don’t-strike-us-as-freedom-loving-enough kind of freedom. To their credit, House Davion leaders occasionally mention the concept of “freedom” as a positive thing, which puts them a ways ahead of peer, say, House Liao and House Kurita" -Battlerun- Best Ever

scatcat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 06 June 2011, 11:16:41 »
Had a great one yesterday. My Javelin made a DFA attempt against an Atlas. He took short range alpha strikes from both the Atlas and an Annihilator. Lost both torsos, made his PSR, hit the Atlas in the head, knocked him down, then stuck the landing. Next turn the Atlas runs away from the now weaponless and nearly armorless Javelin. My Javelin  makes a second 1 hex DFA attempt. Again the Atlas alphas, this time missing horribly, and takes another head hit. The game ended after that.

Shi_no_Kami

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 07 June 2011, 07:27:37 »
This story is more of a tale of pure stupid luck than anything else, but I like it nonetheless.

A campaign game, I am GM. It's a reinforced FedSuns lance (6 mechs) led by a Templar with a very good 2/2 pilot. The FedSuns were wrecking house on my forces (Kurita I think... can't remember, maybe Steiner). I had two hidden light mechs, a Wasp and a Jenner. When the Jenner revealed itself, it did little good. However the Wasp was a game changer... It burst above the water of a small lake (standing) and aimed its two ER Mediums (3S) at the Templar and fired at maximum long rage. One hit. Location: Double 1's, reroll location: 7  CT. Critical: 12. Triple Engine hit. Templar is gone. One tiny 20 ton mech, and a lot of luck changed the whole battle. 

Though in general I simply love my light mechs...

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #55 on: 15 June 2011, 21:18:17 »
I normally don't admit to using light mechs.  In fact, my two favorite weight classes (with the I.S. atleast) are Medium and Assault.  I generally don't go in for lights, although I have a few. 

Recently, I purchased a Wolfhound.  A friend and I play a game set in the Clan Invasion, Kell Hounds vs. Wolves.  I trot my new Wolfhound 2M, so proud of the excellent paintjob I did, etc.  First turn, it accepts a duel against an Adder and double taps it in the head with the Medium Lasers.  The Clan Player (an experienced player but new to clan) automatically challenges the Wolfie to a duel with his Stormcrow.  I'll be a Liao's mother if that stupid little Light mech crit hit on the center torso and shut it down in 2 turns.  For the rest of the game, the Wolfhound was given a wide berth before it got chewed up by a Timby.

End of the story, I respect Lights for what they can, especially my Wolfhound (proudly named Ol' Red).

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #56 on: 15 June 2011, 23:57:27 »
Playing a double-blind game at a small con at BGSU back in the late 90's I volunteered to drive the WSP-1A Wasp even though I knew the enemy had higher tech designs.  I figured the big lake would be a good place to hide and I jumped right into the middle of it, the deepest part.  The referee took a look at it, and calls an opposing player over with a record sheet.  I found their Wraith by landing on it. On it's head. And causing a hull breach that flooded the head and killed the pilot. 

At Bashcon in Toledo in 94 or 95 I played in a battalion sized engagement on a moon (low gravity and vacuum), and I was commanding a recon lance of 2 Locusts, a Wasp and a Stinger; and a Medium Lance of a Whitworth, an Assassin, a Panther and a Phoenix Hawk.  The dramatic bit was the Phoenix Hawk dropping an undamaged Marauder with a DFA and cockpit breach combo, but the more important event was the fact that my recon lance of bug mechs mission-killed an assault lance of an Atlas, a Zeus, an Awesome and an Orion thanks to 3 rounds of flanking maneuvers and hull breaches on weaker rear armor.  I lost 1 Locust to leg crits in that action...  I'll take that ratio...
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #57 on: 20 June 2011, 10:15:53 »
Kit Fox A. You all know it, you all laugh at it, but secretly you all look at a 30 ton Mech with a gauss rifle and a pair of ER mediums and have at least some respect for something that can drop that much damage per turn.

Fear this one- in the local grinder games we run, Mechs get a pilot based on weight class. Assaults get a 4/5, heavy 3/4, so on. So our friend in the Kit Fox has a pretty nasty pilot in the first place. Good.

Still, three headcaps in three turns is pretty impressive. Particularly since each one was on a Mech at least double the Kit Fox's weight. Predator, Night Gyr, Phoenix Hawk IIC. Boom, boom, boom.

It died a horrible fiery death at the hands of a Stormcrow shortly after, but it was a heck of a performance...

...all the more-so since the player running it was still in the process of learning how to play the game, and had never used a gauss rifle- let alone a Kit Fox- before. Last time I teach a girlfriend how to run an Omnimech... *grumble*  ;)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 20 June 2011, 13:35:47 »
Gotta love beginner's luck.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #59 on: 20 June 2011, 19:33:40 »
Back in the old days, when all we had were card board cut outs and two map sheets we had a game where a Wasp or a Stinger, ended up jumping right into the firing path of a hidden lance of heavies - a Warhammer, Marauder, Crusader and Rifleman. The only thing left standing after the firing phase was the light's left leg. Oooops :P

Register