Author Topic: 3025 lance  (Read 49699 times)

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
Re: 3025 lance
« Reply #60 on: 05 April 2011, 09:03:28 »
I'd go with the following H/M/M/L combination, for a FWL flavor:

ON-1K Orion (base model, decent balance of long and short-ranged firepower, tons of armor) (Alternate = TDR-5S)
HBK-4J "Swayback" (2XLRM-10 version, with 5 MLs if anyone gets the stupid idea of closing) (Alternate = WTH-1)
HER-2M Hermes "Mercury" (7/11 speed and decent armor/firepower mix, perfect "backstabber") (Alternate = PXH-1)
FS-9M Firestarter "Mirage" (jumper, another good infighter) (Alternate = JR-7F)

I've fielded this combination many times in Megamek, with consistently good results.  With the ON and HBK serving as the "anvil", the combination of jumpable and faster ground-bound elements are generally able to quickly demolish any opposing skirmishers in almost any terrain, then outflank the opposing heavy element.  As the opposing units start engaging the "anvil", the mobile "hammer" pair closes in for backshots or physicals.  Both have Flamers to add insult to injury if the opponent over-fires and gets toasty, and MGs to exploit any armor breaches that are made, or remove pesky footsloggers that get in the way.

The unit is a bit LRM-heavy, and ammo dependent because of that, but nothing else gets the job done as well for the tonnage and heat.  As long as you're aware of it, and stock up sufficent LRM ammo in advance, there should be few serious problems.  The ON is unlikely to run out of SRMs in several back-to-back engagements, but it would definitely pay to bring a few extra AC/10 rounds for an extended campaign.  MG ammo isn't even worth thinking about, other than having too much on board at any given time (although I've actually managed to burn through about 30 rounds in a game with the HER before).
« Last Edit: 05 April 2011, 09:10:41 by Kovax »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #61 on: 05 April 2011, 09:23:49 »
Heavy, 2 Mediums and a Light Lance:

Super Griffin : it's canon, barely.
Super Wasp : same thing, barely.
P-Hawk-1
P-Hawk-1D

Or if I felt like it, the Four Horsemen of Maltex : Wyvern-5N.

TT
« Last Edit: 05 April 2011, 09:27:31 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Showers

• Corporal
« Reply #62 on: 05 April 2011, 09:57:23 »
I'd go with the heavy, 2 mediums, and a light. My choices being:
Thunderbolt TDR-5S
Griffin GRF-1N
Wolverine WVR-6M
Jenner JR7-F

Zentard

• Private
  • "Sit up straight" is the best advice I ever got.
« Reply #63 on: 05 April 2011, 11:18:48 »
LNX-8Q... I think that thing is just silly. It's like a weak, under-sinked OSR-2C with no hands or lower arms. It honestly COULD have been a great 'Mech. But like the EXT-4A, it's one step from greatness.

Ha ha!  Yes the LNX-8Q is not a peak efficiency 'Mech.  It's not meant to be.  It's a compromise of old technologies on a high tech chassis.  And I don't agree that it's "silly" considering it's at least on par with a Crab CRB-20.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2011, 11:35:19 by Zentard »

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #64 on: 05 April 2011, 14:40:10 »
I wouldn't consider the CRB-20 much of a standard to begin with, but in comparison to the Crab, it still comes a little short. The LNX-8Q is 150 more BV than the CRB-20 and has a bad heat curve, being able to fire 2 x Large Laser + Run only one turn before coming across +5 heat and needing to scale back to 1 x Large Laser. The CRB- downgrade can at least maintain its firing rate for two turns before needing to use bracket fire and it doesn't need the additional BV to do so.

Is the LNX-8Q fun to use? Sure. I love the EXT-4A for that reason. But it's definitely a bizarre choice for a downgrade. [Note: I'd have probably reduced it to a 4/6/4 profile and made the Engine downgrade / PPC - LL swap then added a heat sink by adjusting the armor 1 point. It would be slower but far more fitting for the Lynx's damage profile. It would actually compete with the GLT-4L and similar designs at that point. :) ]
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Zentard

• Private
« Reply #65 on: 05 April 2011, 15:50:42 »
Yeah that sounds good.  I was looking at one of the "X-BT" varients in MegaMek.  Where do the "BT" varients come from? Or more precisely, are those standard 3025 varients?
« Last Edit: 05 April 2011, 15:52:45 by Zentard »

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #66 on: 05 April 2011, 16:03:42 »
Yeah that sounds good.  I was looking at one of the "X-BT" varients in MegaMek.  Where do the "BT" varients come from? Or more precisely, are those standard 3025 varients?

Those look like either Custom 'Mechs or something from BattleTechnology Magazine.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: 05 April 2011, 16:35:54 »
None of the BattleTechnology 'Mechs have the -BT suffix...
Although I guess it could've been added in HMP.
A mostly complete list can be found here.
Do note that some of those have later become canon 'Mechs.

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

Zentard

• Private
« Reply #68 on: 05 April 2011, 19:24:22 »
I found them. BattleTechnology #9, page 50.  But it looks like that "Lynx" has nothing to do with the one in TRO 3058, I guess they're two different 'Mechs.  The Lynx in BT #9 says it was based on the Wolverine chassis.  Anyway, tangent...

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 06 April 2011, 07:52:02 »
I found them. BattleTechnology #9, page 50.  But it looks like that "Lynx" has nothing to do with the one in TRO 3058, I guess they're two different 'Mechs.  The Lynx in BT #9 says it was based on the Wolverine chassis.  Anyway, tangent...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the old Lynx isn't related to the 3058 Lynx.  At least that's what I've always understood.

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: 09 April 2011, 11:47:41 »
Funnest way to come up with your lance. Find the old 3025 mech assignment tables & roll them off. You get what you get. Back in 3025 you were lucky to have a lance of mechs.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #71 on: 09 April 2011, 12:07:52 »
First book I got was Battletech manual:The Rules of Warfare, blue book with black boarder.

It's so old, I had to repair it a few times, now she is in a plastic book slieve.

Construction rules for everything, including Brain Castles. But they called them Gun Emplacement buildings with basements back then. Didn't have the RATs, but that's what the Citytech, Aerotech and Battletech old skool books were for.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

CPLT-C1

• Corporal
  • Hollis Incorporated did things big.
    • Magistracy of Canopus
« Reply #72 on: 11 April 2011, 00:44:55 »
Being mercenaries you've got to keep operational costs down! I'd go with heavy armor and energy weapons:

• Warhammer WHM-6D
  • Hunchback HBK-4P
  • Crab CRB-20
  • Hussar HSR-350-D

Granted you could say the Crab and Hussar variants are 3039, but there are plenty of downgraded Star League units that have been running for the past few hundred years.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2011, 12:01:09 by CPLT-C1 »
So you're saying it's Cold War era sci-fi war machines?

Thorsdad

• Sergeant
  • If winning does not matter why keep score?
« Reply #73 on: 11 April 2011, 22:19:20 »
Warhammer/Marauder
Griffin
Griffin
Panther

I like PPCs...lots of PPCs

ChrisW

• Recruit
« Reply #74 on: 20 April 2011, 20:42:48 »
let see... the last rulebook i have purchased for the game was the Battletech compendium (FASA 1640)

but since i found the old stuff and have getting the hankering to play again looks like i've been out of the loop for a while :D

fortunatly for me my 3025 tech manual still works, so without further babbling:

Warhammer
Rifleman
Archer or Longbow
Grasshopper

now i got to go buy some books if the local hobby store has them :D
-Chris

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 20 April 2011, 21:50:22 »
Quick pick:

Archer - S
Griffin
Wolverine
Javelin - F

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #76 on: 30 April 2011, 13:12:54 »
GRH-5N Grasshopper. The jumping zombie that replaces the LL & LRM with a PPC & additional ML.
PHX-1D Phoenix Hawk - drops the MGs for more HS.
HBK-4G Hunchback - because in 3025 you gotta fear the Big Dakka
JR7-F Jenner - the one that drops the SRM for more armour.

Not bad but I see your lance and raise you a ....

Catapult-C1
Griffin-1S
Wolverine-6M
Spider-5V

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #77 on: 02 May 2011, 13:22:47 »
In 3025, the most common 'Mechs out there were mediums, so I would say a merc lance is most likely to be 4 mediums.

Looking at the most common 'Mech 'Mechs in 3025, I would come up with a combination of the following units, in order of probability:
Phoenix Hawk
Wolverine
Griffin
Shadow Hawk

If Davion flavor, substitute:
Enforcer
Dervish

If Steiner flavor, substitute:
Trebuchet
Whitworth

If Kurita flavor, substitute:
Whitworth
Hunchback

If Marik flavor, substitute:
Hermes II

If Liao flavor, substitute:
Vindicator
Clint

Mix and match for your universal fun.  :)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #78 on: 02 May 2011, 13:45:36 »
In 3025, the most common 'Mechs out there were mediums, so I would say a merc lance is most likely to be 4 mediums.

Looking at the most common 'Mech 'Mechs in 3025, I would come up with a combination of the following units, in order of probability:
Phoenix Hawk
Wolverine
Griffin
Shadow Hawk

If Davion flavor, substitute:
Enforcer
Dervish

If Steiner flavor, substitute:
Trebuchet
Whitworth

If Kurita flavor, substitute:
Whitworth
Hunchback

If Marik flavor, substitute:
Hermes II

If Liao flavor, substitute:
Vindicator
Clint

Mix and match for your universal fun.  :)

I always thought Steiner flavour was Chameleons, Sentinels and Hatchetmen (All three were produced by Defiance around the era). Marik flavour is more Cicadas, Hermes IIs, Hunchbacks and Trebuchets (which they produce aggressively at various sites in the League). Kurita generally disdains Mediums, so beyond the Whitworth and the smattering of K's, I can't really see them as a Medium 'Mech force.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #79 on: 02 May 2011, 22:45:23 »
I was picking the most common Medium 'Mechs for those factions.  There are certainly others that are faction specific, but those noted are the MOST COMMON.  ;)

The Hachetman for instance was an example of a definite faction flavor 'Mech, but it was just entering production.  It would be a long time, if ever, before it became one of the most common Medium 'Mechs of the Steiner faction.  ;)

Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
My Deviant Art Page

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #80 on: 03 May 2011, 00:00:10 »
I was picking the most common Medium 'Mechs for those factions.  There are certainly others that are faction specific, but those noted are the MOST COMMON.  ;)

The Hachetman for instance was an example of a definite faction flavor 'Mech, but it was just entering production.  It would be a long time, if ever, before it became one of the most common Medium 'Mechs of the Steiner faction.  ;)

Ah...  ;)

Which table though. There are BUCKETS of different tables produced over the years which each tell you an entirely different thing altogether.  #P

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #81 on: 03 May 2011, 00:38:17 »
The table I looked at came from MechWarrior 2nd

Interestingly, the top four 'Mechs I picked really ARE the basic 4 medium 'Mechs throughout the Inner Sphere, and are very common in all of those tables.

As for the faction flavor 'Mechs, I picked anything NOT in that basic four group that was in the 6, 7, or 8 position, IE the most common based on that RAT.

The reason I used the MechWarrior 2nd RAT was because I do not know of a RAT in any 3025 publication, and that is the first published set of RATs that I know of.  If there is another one in an earlier publication, please tell me.  :)

In short though, I think any of those units would make a good representative lance of the universe, if not an EFFECTIVE lance for the board game.  ;)  Although, there are really very few situations in which a Wolverine or a Phoenix Hawk is not at least EFFECTIVE.  The Shadow Hawk...yeah...not the best design ever...;)

My Deviant Art Page

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #82 on: 03 May 2011, 00:44:39 »
It's definitely not older, but I've always worked with this set of tables for 3025 availability: http://www.classicbattletech.com/downloads/Random%20Tables-3025.pdf

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #83 on: 03 May 2011, 00:51:13 »
That is a VERY interesting set of tables.  I've never seen it before.  Has that ever been printed or is it a fan table?

My Deviant Art Page

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #84 on: 03 May 2011, 00:53:19 »
I have no idea.  :D It popped up in the downloads section of the CBT webby many years ago, and we've used it ever since.

There are some real oddities as a result of using the table though like the fact that the Cappys are actually MORE likely to generate Cicadas than the FWL.  :D
« Last Edit: 03 May 2011, 00:58:46 by Dies Irae »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #85 on: 03 May 2011, 09:45:13 »
Those tables have been up on the website for years.  They're big, but that's about all they have going for them - you'll quickly notice the results they generate are rather off.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

CPLT-C1

• Corporal
  • Hollis Incorporated did things big.
    • Magistracy of Canopus
« Reply #86 on: 03 May 2011, 12:13:45 »
NAIS: The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas has a several of examples mech' lances for each faction in 3028-29. It's REALLY heavy on the unseen and doesn't show a lot of diversity though. I always figured those were the bread and butter lances of the Successor States during that era.
So you're saying it's Cold War era sci-fi war machines?

Kottos

« Reply #87 on: 03 May 2011, 15:53:38 »
Warhammer  WHM-6K
Wolverine      WVR-6K
Crab              CRB-20
Panther         PNT-9R

This lance provides a good variety of weaponry, with a strong medium range focus.  On the downside, it's not overly fast, and lacks anti-infantry capability. 
It's also Combine flavored. 

Natasha

• Private
« Reply #88 on: 12 May 2011, 04:44:53 »
Generic 3025 Lance

TDR-5S Thunderbolt, favorite heavy, even above the Warhammer. Tough as hell, heavy and varied armament
WVR-6R Wolverine, favourite medium, tough, mobile, good in all short-medium range
CLNT-2-3T Clint, because it's cool and you must have a badly designed 'mech in a 3025 Lance
STG-3R Stinger, because you have to have one of the millions of bugs in such a lance

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #89 on: 13 May 2011, 14:45:03 »
The reason I used the MechWarrior 2nd RAT was because I do not know of a RAT in any 3025 publication, and that is the first published set of RATs that I know of.  If there is another one in an earlier publication, please tell me.  :)
I honestly am not sure about this but I "THINK" there was a RAT in MW1 wasn't there ?
At work so can't confirm that.
Otherwise, hmm, maybe the old Master Rules-Compendium might be an Older RAT than MW2E but again, not at home to confirm them dates.

Hmm, the more I think about it, wow, IDK,  You sir might be onto something, MW2E might be the 1st historical RAT.

Well, speaking of Historical, actually Brush Wars & Wo39 both had RATs and at pre-date the "3050 Era" that MW2 was set in.  Maybe check those out.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo