Author Topic: LRM Carrier Goodness  (Read 10397 times)

TylerDurden

• Master Sergeant
  • This was my vacation.
LRM Carrier Goodness
« on: 24 May 2011, 11:40:50 »
I was playing with my friends on Sunday and decided to go with tanks.  Amongst others, I had 4 LRM carriers and 2 Swift Wind scouts.  This combination worked very effectively for indirect fire.

The scouts moved so fast, they normally had a +4 or +5 modifier on them, while the LRM carriers remained stationary and hidden.  Sure, I was normally trying to roll 10s or 11s, but even if I hit with just a few LRM 20s, it had devestating effects.  When I hit, I was usually able to deliver between 50 and 60 points of damage on a single mech.  After wearing down the armor to paper, my other tanks just needed to mop up the mess.

For my first time out focusing on indirect fire, this was a blast!

Anyone else have memorable experiences or better ways to deploy indirect fire?
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.  -- They Might Be Giants

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
Re: LRM Carrier Goodness
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2011, 12:29:18 »
Semi-guided LRMs with TAG spotters.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2011, 12:41:05 »
I was GMing, the merc unit got a contract to raid a LRM ammunition factory, just before the Jihad. There were 6 Heavy LRM carriers behind a lvl 1 hill. About 30 hexes away, there were two hills with small bunkers. Each bunker had a platoon of infantry hidden inside. The mercs lost a mech (made combat ineffective) a turn on the approach. That was a fun game.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2011, 12:43:40 »
NARCS. Removed the need for a spotter.

BTW, 8 salvoes per LRM Carrier is not much. If you fired with TN of 10s/11s and softened up the OPFOR - congrats!
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2011, 13:41:57 »
I hear that even if you don't have advanced tech to help out, infantry with LOS to the target still make great spotters because they have no attacker movement modifier to pass on to the unit whose indirect fire they're spotting for. ;)

Haven't used massed indirect fire often enough myself to share any good anecdotes, though.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2011, 15:01:17 »
Back in the day I ran a Marik Heavy Company unit vs some wanna-be Kurita Company.

They use 5 tanks per lance canonwise.

2x Schreks
1x Ontos
2x Partisan LRM

1x Demolisher
3x Partisan LRM
1x Partisan AC/2

1x Partisan AC/5
3x Ontos LRM
1x Ontos

- vs -

2x Heavy
6x Medium
4x Light

Well I lost of course, but maintained a steady barrage for almost 13 rounds straight. Everything was longrange, I used the Schreks, Partisan AC/5 and Demolisher as Spotters for the longer ranged indirect versions. * sigh * Fun times! 8) Until they showed up to kick my tanks... [tickedoff]

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2011, 15:02:36 »
I often use PBI squads as spotters.

One time I split a BMR-era foot rifle platoon into 4 squads and placed them strategically around the battlefield far outside of the range of my opponent's clan LB2X's, but with LOS to several strategic points on the map. Since we were using a ref, my opponent just couldn't figure out that LOS has practically limitless range and that those "insignificant" PBI squads (which he was convinced I got just because I had under two dozen BV1 left over  ::)) were just there doing nothing except serve as initiative sinks.

It was so funny that the ref was so serious and impassive throughout the game but as soon as it ended was sounding just like Dark Helmet: "I can't believe you fell for the oldest trick in the book! You were ignoring the infantry which was in PLAIN SIGHT!"

We all got a kick out of that.

Next time we played, genocide was declared on my infantry...  :'(

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2011, 15:08:26 »
Reminds me of the good ol' days of when the true king of the battlefield was Infantry!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2011, 22:12:14 »
Reminds me of the good ol' days of when the true king of the battlefield was Infantry!

TT
And the steel rain they could call on in a heartbeat....
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2011, 23:16:05 »
Ahh massed LRM fire, my brother likes them, and for some strange reason my Burrock's head is an LRM magnet...

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2011, 23:37:49 »
Ahh massed LRM fire, my brother likes them, and for some strange reason my Burrock's head is an LRM magnet...

AMS is your friend!

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2011, 02:08:59 »
I avoid using the actual LRM carrier .

The Partisan LRM variant is vastly superior to LRM carrier .

1.It still has the 60 tubes of the standard LRM carrier .
2.It carries a full 12 salvos for it's 4-LRM-15s .
3.It has a turret which can be a massive advantage .
( Like facing damaged armor away from the enemy but still being able to fire or
running away while firing backward)
4.It carries far more armor and has an extra location to take damage .  ( The turret)
5.It's got 2 MGs to fight of infantry or damaged light mechs .

It's only disadvantage is that it weighs 20 tons more then the LRM carrier so it's
possible to have bridges that it can't cross in a game .

My favorite combined arms combo in the 3025 era is a
2/6 Partisan LRM variant for 1,358 BV and 2 Jump Laser platoons .

That combo costs 1484 according to MegaMek .
Jump laser infantry get a +2 to hit mod because the jump 3 hexes
so they are harder to hit then most other infantry .

With the right terrain this is an absolutely vicious combo for the BV cost .

Requiem_for_a_Moth

• Private
  • 1 of 9
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2011, 08:21:36 »
n b4 Lyran Archer!

. . .

Oh why not, I'll just do it for him.

LA generally uses a lance of four Archer 5Ws plus a few fast spotters, all of which fit in a 6,000 BV game. The Archers carry half Semi-guided and half Narc capable LRM ammo to increase the accuracy of their massed indirect fire (160 LRMs going down range every turn). He has posted several after action reports here that you can read for examples of how the strategy plays out.

;D
« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 08:23:29 by Requiem_for_a_Moth »
Denn alles Fleisch ist wie Gras und alle Herrlichkeit des Menschen wie des Grases Blumen. Das Gras ist verdorret und die Blume abgefallen.

Aber des Herrn Wort bleibet in Ewigkeit.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2011, 09:54:31 »
You know what else is scary? In a game awhile back, ran them like an Assualt Comstar Level II. Put the Urbies out front to take the heat and allowed shared TAGed semi-G LRMs to rain downrange to cover their attack formation. Never went to far, (snicker), only out to 16 range, a little long for the UAC/5s.

2x Heavy MML Carriers
2x Kurita Upgrade Behemoths ( Just wish they made a MML variant. )
2x Urbanmech-R80s

Standard 4/5s all around, I wish they would have let me run with BA support. Makes a nice WoB Milita force if you ask me.

TT
« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 09:59:18 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2011, 13:25:59 »
n b4 Lyran Archer!

. . .

Oh why not, I'll just do it for him.

LA generally uses a lance of four Archer 5Ws plus a few fast spotters, all of which fit in a 6,000 BV game. The Archers carry half Semi-guided and half Narc capable LRM ammo to increase the accuracy of their massed indirect fire (160 LRMs going down range every turn). He has posted several after action reports here that you can read for examples of how the strategy plays out.

;D

Just a thought but...if the terrain is favorable for vehicles. 

For that same 6,000 BV you could have 4X Partisan LRM variants with 2/5 crews and
4 Jump laser Infantry platoons .    (or make them 2/6 crews and add a lot more infantry)

That would be 240 missiles going down range out of vehicles with a turret that
only needs 1 level of elevation to hide behind and according to stacking rules you can have
2 of them in a hex .

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2011, 16:08:02 »
Why laser (asks Greyhind while ignoring those four jump laser squads in his Megamek game)?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2011, 16:14:18 »
WoB C3i equipped LRM carriers have proven to me to be awesome in just the right scenario.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2011, 16:28:39 »
Why laser (asks Greyhind while ignoring those four jump laser squads in his Megamek game)?

Range and mobility, if I had to hazard a guess. Of all the "standard" Total Warfare jump infantry types, only ballistic and energy rifle ("laser") platoons get the full 3 jump MP, and of those two the latter have twice the range (if half the maximum damage) of the former.

Shijima_3085

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2011, 21:34:06 »
Thunder rounds to prep the kill zone.  If they spread out, they get massed fire.  If they bunch up... they still get massed fire, except with Swarms.  Keep a round or two of Thunders in reserve to cross-cover your own escape routes, or pop the legs of those trying to flee.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2011, 22:21:58 »
The Partisan LRM variant is vastly superior to LRM carrier .

It's only disadvantage is that it weighs 20 tons more then the LRM carrier so it's
possible to have bridges that it can't cross in a game .
/cough,  BV
I can get 2 LRM Carrier-3058's at 4/7 for the cost of that one Partisan and have more ammo, C3, & Artemis IV for when its not indirect fire.

The LRM carrier certainly has its flaws but in is also a LOT cheaper than said Partisan, Ontos, or Sturmfuer while throwing out the same or more LRMs than each of them.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2011, 22:28:26 »
That would be 240 missiles going down range out of vehicles with a turret that
only needs 1 level of elevation to hide behind and according to stacking rules you can have
2 of them in a hex .

I love that stacking.

It makes calling in the artillery that much more satisfying.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2011, 23:51:46 »
The LRM, and SRM carriers when done right, is a game changer!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2011, 02:00:33 »
/cough,  BV
I can get 2 LRM Carrier-3058's at 4/7 for the cost of that one Partisan and have more ammo, C3, & Artemis IV for when its not indirect fire.

... AND as a bonus they would get stuck moving at 2/3 and not have a turret  as well
as less armor .

LRM carriers using indirect fire don't hit much with a 4 gunner combined with having to
move to keep units within their front arc . Not until the enemy is uncomfortably close .
At 2 /3 getting into position isn't easy and a fighting withdraw is nearly impossible without
a turret .

That aside comparing a 3058 vehicle to a 3025 vehicle is a little unfair tech wise .

Wish the Partisan LRM variant would have got an upgrade .

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2011, 02:04:12 »
I love that stacking.

It makes calling in the artillery that much more satisfying.
Common sense dictates that if artillery is in play you spread out and when it's
not you concentrate your forces so that it favors your weapons loadout .

I haven't seen  artillery used in a game since it was no longer included
in the basic tournament level rules set .

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2011, 02:22:57 »
I have.  Quite a bit of it, in fact.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2011, 10:26:20 »
/cough,  BV

Tangential question, but am I the only one who feels a bit lactose intolerant at cranking the piloting skills of de facto pillbox vehicles?

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2011, 11:22:26 »
Tangential question, but am I the only one who feels a bit lactose intolerant at cranking the piloting skills of de facto pillbox vehicles?

Piloting/Driving and even Gunnery skills of 7 are on the table on TW page 273 (for literally the greenest of the green pilots/crews), so, meh. While you'd normally want to give those boys and girls a quick crash course -- literally if need be -- in Driving 6 ASAP, if they're all you have right when it counts you might as well put them into a slow-moving pillbox where their lack of driving ability hopefully makes them less of a danger to themselves and others.

Keep in mind, too, that a 4/7 crew can easily reflect an experienced gunner being stuck with a wet-behind-the-ears driver. The gunner might theoretically be able to drive better himself, but then who'll man the LRM racks? The rookie? ;)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2011, 12:10:56 »

Yes.  It's pretty obvious BV mining when it comes to tracked vehicles, since they almost never have to bother with piloting checks to begin with.

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2011, 17:13:30 »
Some warnings about massed indirect fire:

1. Losing your spotters can completely wreck your plan, especially if using TAG. Be prepared if this happens.

2. Narc-guided indirect fire can be completely shut down by just one or two enemy 'Mechs with ECM.

3. LRM ammo can run out - this has happened in two of my battles.

4. Terrain is vital - you need lots of cover for this tactic to work. Rivers to slow down the enemy advance also help. Any obstacle between you and the enemy is good.

5. Be prepared for close combat! Enemy 'Mechs will come toe-to-toe with your missile boats. That's why I favour Archers. They will fight well in close as a unit which is why I cluster them - so they can support each other in the close-combat fight. Trust me. It will come to this.

6. Pillbox tactics should be avoided. You need to be prepared to move up quickly to engage the enemy before he can organize a plan to defeat you or to destroy his faster elements before his heavy and assault units can catch up. Then you need to conduct a fighting withdrawal to keep the enemy at long range for as long as possible. If you have seen my batreps you'll notice that there is actually a LOT of maneuvering on my part. Race forward to engage and then backpeddle - very little standing still!
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #29 on: 01 June 2011, 02:38:07 »
It would be nice if the skill actually HAD a use.  One of the flaws of TW IMHO.
In the LRM example I was actually following the lead of the previous Partisan 2/7 example.

But, Seriously, its like putting a good gunner in a 3025 Karnov.
Is it a bit of min/maxing, yes, but really, it makes some sense, why would my cargo helicopter be even a Regular Gunner let alone a Veteran+?  Making them Green might be seen as realism.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo