Author Topic: WiGE Rules  (Read 4179 times)

Maelwys

• Major
WiGE Rules
« on: 13 June 2011, 17:22:46 »
So a recent issue has left me with a couple of questions when it comes to WiGE's.

Can they land on their own, at will.?

I know that the rules say that the WiGE will land if you move less than 5 hexes in a turn (other than the turn it takes off on that is) and that it costs 0 MP to land...but it doesn't specifically say that it can land at will.

For example, can I move my WiGE 7 hexes (past the 5 hex minimum to remain airborne) and then just decide to land?

Heck, for that matter, can I land, and then take off again?

Martius

• Captain
Re: WiGE Rules
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2011, 10:17:48 »
As long as you got the MPs why not?

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2011, 21:14:11 »
So a recent issue has left me with a couple of questions when it comes to WiGE's.

Can they land on their own, at will.?

Yes.

I know that the rules say that the WiGE will land if you move less than 5 hexes in a turn (other than the turn it takes off on that is) and that it costs 0 MP to land...but it doesn't specifically say that it can land at will.

For example, can I move my WiGE 7 hexes (past the 5 hex minimum to remain airborne) and then just decide to land?

Yes. It is implicit in the rule (TW pp. 55); you need a minimum of 5 hexes to remain airborne, but no maximum is mentioned nor required. Thus, you can indeed move 5+ hexes at speed and land at the end of your turn, following the rules and restrictions on landing terrain.

Heck, for that matter, can I land, and then take off again?

Yes, provided you have enough MP to do so. There is not much practical benefit to doing this, given that while landed it cannot make use of its 1 hover MP (that requires starting the turn landed). The only reason I can think of would be to remain airborne while moving less than 5 hexes forward (move one forward [1 MP], land [0 MP], take off [5 MP]). Conceptually, this could be fluffed as simply muscling the WiGE's engine into keeping the craft in the air despite lack of airflow.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2011, 00:11:58 »
I can think of one possible scenario: loading troops and then getting airborne again for the +1 bonus.  Fensalirs can't actually do that and Hiryos are going to have some challenges but a Pandion's fast enough to probably pull that off without completely shooting its TMM in the head.

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2011, 00:36:11 »
I can think of one possible scenario: loading troops and then getting airborne again for the +1 bonus. 

IIRC troops can only be unloaded at the end of the movement turn, TW, p. 224 'Dismounting'.
But if you have jump infantry they could/should disembark in flight mode. Unfortunately Maelwys had Kopis BA!?  :D

EDIT: added page of TW
« Last Edit: 15 June 2011, 00:40:39 by Demos »
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2011, 10:22:59 »
I was talking about loading, but yes, end of movement applies on both sides.

The in-flight unloading rules actually only apply to VTOLs.  It specifically says "Dismounting From VTOLs".  WiGEs can unload anything from the air.

MEP

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2011, 11:14:15 »
I was talking about loading, but yes, end of movement applies on both sides.

The in-flight unloading rules actually only apply to VTOLs.  It specifically says "Dismounting From VTOLs".  WiGEs can unload anything from the air.

That seems really backward to me. What about troops rappelling out of a helicopter? House rule or to the rules forums?
In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2011, 11:17:13 »
That seems really backward to me. What about troops rappelling out of a helicopter? House rule or to the rules forums?

I admit, I haven't done a lot of rapelling, but doing it from a hovering Karnov seems a hell of a lot easier in theory than trying to from a WIGE moving a hundred-odd knots.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2011, 13:42:58 »
I admit, I haven't done a lot of rapelling, but doing it from a hovering Karnov seems a hell of a lot easier in theory than trying to from a WIGE moving a hundred-odd knots.

That... doesn't sound healthy.  Granted, the Pandion tops out at ~87.5 knots in level flight.  Using optional rules you can push it a little harder in the right terrain, though I don't really recommend kicking the troops out the back under those conditions, either.

As far as it goes, personally, I'd use the same restrictions as VTOLs on the WiGEs.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2011, 14:10:48 »
Still, 'tuck and roll' doesn't sound fun in a heavy suit of armor at 87.5 knots either. And that's really the only option at that point- you don't get enough altitude for parachuting, you don't have jump jets, and your carrier can't stop to drop you off. Bad combo.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 15 June 2011, 15:33:16 »
Still, 'tuck and roll' doesn't sound fun in a heavy suit of armor at 87.5 knots either. And that's really the only option at that point- you don't get enough altitude for parachuting, you don't have jump jets, and your carrier can't stop to drop you off. Bad combo.

This is all sounding like a worse and worse idea.  I wasn't really trying to argue with you, either, just thought benchmarking the speeds might be interesting to know.  Google's unit converter is a handy thing.

That "right terrain" involves a consistent down slope.  I'm not sure tuck and roll won't involve tucking and rolling halfway down the hill in a situation like that.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2011, 15:44:01 »
This is all sounding like a worse and worse idea.  I wasn't really trying to argue with you, either, just thought benchmarking the speeds might be interesting to know.  Google's unit converter is a handy thing.

That "right terrain" involves a consistent down slope.  I'm not sure tuck and roll won't involve tucking and rolling halfway down the hill in a situation like that.

Sorry, no argument intended at all- more agreeing with you. This will end poorly for all involved.

On the bright side, might be a fun way to deal with penal troops. Jump out the door, try to hit that Enfield in the woods there, and see if you can knock it down!

+Crow T. Robot+

Register