Author Topic: Need ideas for clay putty  (Read 3083 times)

Slideways

• Private
Need ideas for clay putty
« on: 07 April 2011, 09:58:23 »
Well we took the kids to the West Edmonton mall and during our intense shopping I found some nice moldable clay putty.  I've tested it a bit by making four "rubble" hexes.   Turned out pretty good.

I would like to get some ideas on what to make with this stuff.  I am nowhere near an artist or a sculptor.  I have a pretty good sized brick of it.  It does not need to be baked, just hardens with air exposure.

Ideas?

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
Re: Need ideas for clay putty
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2011, 11:44:37 »
Not sure . . . why not put a small piece out to dry and see if it gives the results you want? 

Might there be a local art/craft store or club that could offer suggestions?

Just a thought<
JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Slideways

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2011, 12:02:38 »
ya I'm wondering what other BattleTech gamers have made out of this sort of thing.  I guess the sky is the limit really.  I did some cracked concrete walls and they did turn out pretty good for the rubble hexes.  Also did some pipes and painted them. 
What else can I make out of this stuff guys?

Maddog3025

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2011, 14:14:16 »
I think of terrain pieces for non-hex play so crafting stuff to fit the somewhat small hex size would be tricky for me. The first thing that comes to mind is gun implacements. They could be square or molded into something domed or rounded like bottle caps. If you have some extra vehicle turrets, you could put one on the top. I'm working on some small positions using the metal end caps that are used to cap gas lines.

RoughKnight

• Recruit
    • MercNet
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2011, 09:44:47 »
Not sure what brand of putty it is that you've picked up, but if it's anything like what I've gotten from Kites & Other Delights there in the mall, I've used it to make various sized bases for our trees, rubble, and now in the process of creating bomb or asteroid craters...
« Last Edit: 08 April 2011, 09:56:17 by RoughKnight »
Warpigs Mercenary Company

-Just ignore me, I'm a fly on the wall with a Gauss Rifle.

Slideways

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2011, 10:06:11 »
Good ideas guys.  I really think I can pull off some gun emplacements or bunkers.  Cool.

Thanks!

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2011, 11:06:03 »
I considered 'planting' trees on pennies covered in lumps of clay and molded to fit at hex-junctions of Heroscape tiles.  I found a terracotta clay that looked far better than gray.

Just another thought,
JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Register