Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: The Fourth Generation  (Read 160319 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Aviation Pictures: The Fourth Generation
« Reply #420 on: 28 February 2019, 18:19:48 »
Hm. I wonder what the down-ward ejection seats do to you? Seems the B-52 had them.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #421 on: 28 February 2019, 18:32:03 »
Hm. I wonder what the down-ward ejection seats do to you? Seems the B-52 had them.

They're fine as long as you meet the minimum altitude requirements - for obvious reasons.

The CA-27 Sabre has been grounded since mid-2018 because the aircraft is fitted with a Martin-Baker ejection seat which was retrofitted to the aircraft during the return to flight service program at the Temora Aviaion Museum (TAM) - the aircraft is owned by the RAAF but on loan to TAM. Martin-Baker has notified operators of historic ejection seats that they have ceased supplying parts for all historic ejection seats. Current RAAF policy is to only operate the aircraft with a serviceable ejection seat.

TAM’s Meteor F.8 will continue to fly for a period of time as TAM has in stock the required ejection seat consumables to keep the aircraft airworthy for a number of years.

I wonder if they'll be able to refit a modern seat. That said, I think the last few civilian jet warbirds (L-39 Albatross, CT-114 Tutor) I've asked said that their ejection seats were disabled due to the compliance difficulties for explosives

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #422 on: 28 February 2019, 18:58:09 »
They're fine as long as you meet the minimum altitude requirements - for obvious reasons.

Less thrust required?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #423 on: 28 February 2019, 19:19:51 »
A "who's who" of chinese fighters: left to right Shenyang J-11, Chengdu J-10, Shenyang J-8II, Shenyang J-8, Chengdu J-7, Shenyang J-6, Shenyang JJ-2. Front row Xian JH-7A, Nanchang A5.

Now has anyone got any rational, non-belligerent (both ways) reviews on the J-20 and J-22 (not pictured)?

Also, Indian pilot shot down over Pakistan was reportedly flying a Mig-21. Brave, brave man.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #424 on: 28 February 2019, 19:24:17 »
A MiG-21?  In today's IADS environment?? I don't think "brave" is the word...

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #425 on: 28 February 2019, 19:42:38 »
Pictures taken on February 26th of an F-117A operating in the R-2508 range complex near Death Valley.

The jet appears to be the old 49th Operations Group commander’s aircraft.
I have spoken.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #426 on: 28 February 2019, 19:44:21 »
One shot I saw of wreckage appeared to have a more curved pointed nose, so might have been a Tejas - didn't look right for a Mig-29, or a Mirage 2000.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #427 on: 28 February 2019, 19:45:01 »
One more pic:

I have spoken.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #428 on: 28 February 2019, 19:53:59 »
With all the [Rule 4] going on, I'm not sure anything rational is happening on that particular border at the moment, so a MiG-21 isn't out of the question.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #429 on: 28 February 2019, 20:02:42 »
One more pic:

There have been rumors for a few years that they would put a plane back together and fly them.  There we go.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #430 on: 28 February 2019, 20:15:54 »
f117 had such a unique look to it, to bad it's not flying around anymore
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #431 on: 28 February 2019, 20:20:34 »
There's been rumors of the -117s coming back as drone aircraft, and with China Lake for weapons development, Ft. Irwin for training and evaluation, and Edwards AFB all in that region, it's the perfect testing ground - especially to see if it can be armed with more recent munitions (SDB, JSOW, etc) and still operate well.

Zooming in on the photo, there's definitely visible cockpit glass, so it's not like other UAV conversions like the JetRanger or Piaggio Avanti where it's a slicked-over windowless design.  Odds are, it's still manned then, unless they're using them as target drones perhaps?  It's not like we have other stealth aircraft to test and train weapons against, like QF-4s or QF-16s.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #432 on: 28 February 2019, 20:38:17 »
There's been rumors of the -117s coming back as drone aircraft, and with China Lake for weapons development, Ft. Irwin for training and evaluation, and Edwards AFB all in that region, it's the perfect testing ground - especially to see if it can be armed with more recent munitions (SDB, JSOW, etc) and still operate well.

Zooming in on the photo, there's definitely visible cockpit glass, so it's not like other UAV conversions like the JetRanger or Piaggio Avanti where it's a slicked-over windowless design.  Odds are, it's still manned then, unless they're using them as target drones perhaps?  It's not like we have other stealth aircraft to test and train weapons against, like QF-4s or QF-16s.
I was surprised when the -117 retired before the -35 was online.  I know its a one-trick-pony and that's a four letter word in this day and age, but it's a pretty damn good trick. Did the air frames start showing stress cracking sooner than expected? 
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #433 on: 28 February 2019, 20:43:48 »
By retirement, the airframes were in their third decade (maiden flight 1981, IOC 1983) and it was decided to axe the Nighthawk to free up budget for more Raptors, back when we were still going to have lots of F-22s.

No comment past that, but anyway.  Seems someone found a few shady bucks to keep playing with the things.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #434 on: 28 February 2019, 20:48:49 »
Playing? or more like put it all on black when the color is clearly red...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #435 on: 28 February 2019, 21:29:28 »
Less thrust required?

Uhhh.. A downward ejecting seat will need to be fired at a high enough altitude that the seat will clear the plane and the parachute is able to deploy. If you fire it too low, you become a smear on the ground.

A "who's who" of chinese fighters: left to right Shenyang J-11, Chengdu J-10, Shenyang J-8II, Shenyang J-8, Chengdu J-7, Shenyang J-6, Shenyang JJ-2. Front row Xian JH-7A, Nanchang A5.

Now has anyone got any rational, non-belligerent (both ways) reviews on the J-20 and J-22 (not pictured)?

Also, Indian pilot shot down over Pakistan was reportedly flying a Mig-21. Brave, brave man.

W.

Those look like models. I've never heard of the J-22. Do you mean the Shenyang J-31?

Not much to say about the J-20 - they seem to still be in the initial evaluation/test phase of service like the F-35. They're supposed to still be waiting on the definitive engines though. Shades of the F-14's struggles with the TF30 in that regard.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #436 on: 28 February 2019, 21:40:21 »
IAF Mig-21 Bison was downed by JF-17 Thunder

Ironic, since the JF-17 is essentially a modern derivative of the Mig-21.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #437 on: 28 February 2019, 21:42:41 »
Uhhh.. A downward ejecting seat will need to be fired at a high enough altitude that the seat will clear the plane and the parachute is able to deploy. If you fire it too low, you become a smear on the ground.

I get that.  I was just thinking that when the seat engages it would need less thrust due to not fighting gravity and also not having to clear the tail.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #438 on: 28 February 2019, 22:07:49 »
You'd still want a solid kick to get you well away from the aircraft as fast as possible.  Ignoring the whole 'it's a giant bomber loaded with explosives that is about to meet its maker' part, there's a massive amount of turbulence anywhere near a BUFF and, in all honesty, just because it's downwards firing in relation to the plane doesn't mean it'll be downwards when you actually eject.

The B-52 that crashed in 1994 at Fairchild was at the 90 degree roll point, with the aircraft yawing downward, when the copilot attempted to eject.  Bombardier and navigator positions would have been going equally sideways.

Now, that said, what happens in something like the Guam crash-on-takeoff a couple years ago?  Obviously the upper deck crew can escape quickly, but the poor suckers in the bottom of the plane (who survived without incident) don't have any option for that sort of thing.  You're literally stuck just riding it out and hoping it's not too hard a hit?  Yikes...

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #439 on: 28 February 2019, 22:32:30 »
You'd still want a solid kick to get you well away from the aircraft as fast as possible.  Ignoring the whole 'it's a giant bomber loaded with explosives that is about to meet its maker' part, there's a massive amount of turbulence anywhere near a BUFF and, in all honesty, just because it's downwards firing in relation to the plane doesn't mean it'll be downwards when you actually eject.

The B-52 that crashed in 1994 at Fairchild was at the 90 degree roll point, with the aircraft yawing downward, when the copilot attempted to eject.  Bombardier and navigator positions would have been going equally sideways.

Now, that said, what happens in something like the Guam crash-on-takeoff a couple years ago?  Obviously the upper deck crew can escape quickly, but the poor suckers in the bottom of the plane (who survived without incident) don't have any option for that sort of thing.  You're literally stuck just riding it out and hoping it's not too hard a hit?  Yikes...

At least they had seats. Lower deck crew on an Avro Vulcan had to execute a manual bail out if they needed to leave the plane

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #440 on: 01 March 2019, 02:18:15 »
There have been rumors for a few years that they would put a plane back together and fly them.  There we go.
not rumors. plenty of pysical evidence like that photo. but it isn't any conspiracy stuff like drone conversion.
the F-117's were mandated to preserved in flyable condition. in case they needed to be reactivated. only way to ensure that they remain in flyable condition is to reassemble a few every year and fly them. presumably they have been rotating through the ones in storage, so that no aircraft goes more than a few years without an inspection and test flight.

and several countries have been refitting their MiG-21's (and/or J-7's) to more modern avionics and munitions compatibility. India, Romania, etc. the aircraft is still very rugged and with the avionics and weapons updated it still makes a very good interceptor. some Indian ones were even able to take down F-16's in some recent wargames. plus refits would be a lot cheaper than buying an all new 4th gen fighter.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2019, 02:23:31 by glitterboy2098 »

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #441 on: 01 March 2019, 03:04:24 »

and several countries have been refitting their MiG-21's (and/or J-7's) to more modern avionics and munitions compatibility. India, Romania, etc. the aircraft is still very rugged and with the avionics and weapons updated it still makes a very good interceptor. some Indian ones were even able to take down F-16's in some recent wargames. plus refits would be a lot cheaper than buying an all new 4th gen fighter.
The Indian Mig-21 Bison is kind of similar to an F-16 Block 25 I think, at least in the AA domain. An argument can be made for some Block 52-esque capabilities.

On the other hand, the JF-17 is a very modern chap, even though it lacks a helmet display.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #442 on: 02 March 2019, 14:05:51 »
The F-35C achieved Initial Operational Capability on February 28.

I have spoken.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #443 on: 02 March 2019, 17:29:03 »
The F-35C achieved Initial Operational Capability on February 28.

Landing? Or doing a burnout on a non-catapult takeoff?  ;D :D

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #444 on: 03 March 2019, 13:34:55 »
Looks like a touch-and-go.
I have spoken.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #445 on: 04 March 2019, 04:50:35 »
I like the burn out.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #446 on: 04 March 2019, 05:03:44 »
Landing? Or doing a burnout on a non-catapult takeoff?  ;D :D
only 20 years late!  I know that's not fair,  the F-22 had a similar distance to go.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2019, 05:07:35 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #447 on: 04 March 2019, 07:29:50 »
At least they had seats. Lower deck crew on an Avro Vulcan had to execute a manual bail out if they needed to leave the plane

Same on the Victor

Another one with downward seats were early versions of the F104 because of concerns about the ability of an upward firing seat to clear the tailplane. Over 20 USAF pilots died after ejecting at low level because of the type of seat. They later put in an upward firing seat that could clear the tail but could only be used as speeds over 100mph.  A lot of the export versions were fitted with Martin-Baker Mk.7 "zero-zero" (zero altitude and zero airspeed) seats
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #448 on: 04 March 2019, 09:05:38 »
Same on the Victor

Another one with downward seats were early versions of the F104 because of concerns about the ability of an upward firing seat to clear the tailplane. Over 20 USAF pilots died after ejecting at low level because of the type of seat. They later put in an upward firing seat that could clear the tail but could only be used as speeds over 100mph.  A lot of the export versions were fitted with Martin-Baker Mk.7 "zero-zero" (zero altitude and zero airspeed) seats
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #449 on: 04 March 2019, 10:21:08 »
Same on the Victor

I suspect with the F-104, there was a mistaken focus on having to bail out during combat or at the higher end of the F-104's performance envelope. (Given that this was the 50's, that may have been influenced by data from WW2, where that might be the case. Not like you can execute a manual bail out if something goes wrong at landing.)

Instead, as an early high performance jet with early high performance jet issues, that decision would have left pilots in a real bind if something went wrong during takeoff or landing... incidentally when most such problems occur

Register