Author Topic: Jade Falcons vs Draconis Combine  (Read 5587 times)

Brandydog

• Sergeant
    • Battletech Minis
Jade Falcons vs Draconis Combine
« on: 01 May 2011, 06:50:35 »
My buddies agreed on trialling some house rules to portray early the Clan Invasion period, and this is the first game we tested them in. The game went quite smoothly, mainly because of alot of good sportsmanship, and we had a lot of fun in the process.

In choosing forces in the past, we used to fiddle with numbers alot, as well as FSM, trying to 'balance' the game as much as possible or squeeze for unused BV point for either side. We didnt do any of that for this game, instead putting together units that looked good thematically and then just using our best judgement on deciding if the unit selections fit the scenario, and that the game was at least relativley balanced enough to allow for a fun time either side.

Historically the two units never met (at least as far as i know??), but we wanted to use these particular painted miniatures on the day, and so we just worked from there.

FORCES:

Draconis Combine – 5th Sword of Light
* Hatamoto-Chi, HTM-27U, (3050)
   Unit (Lance) Commander, Pilot (3/4)
* Awesome, AWS-8Q, (3025)
   Pilot (2/4)
* Griffin, JVN-10P, (3050)
   Pilot (4/5)
* Shadow Hawk,  SHD-2K, (3025)
   Pilot (4/5)
* Wyvern,  WVE-6N, (2950)
   Pilot (4/5)

Jade Falcons, Gamma Galaxy
* Summoner Prime, (3050)
   Star Captain, Pilot (2/2)
* Hellbringer Prime, (3050)
   Pilot (2/3)
* Mad Dog, (3050)
   Pilot (3/4)

TURN 1

Jade Falcons Issue their challenges over the open frequency. Mad Dog pilot issues a challenge to the Griffin pilot, while the Hellbringer challenges the Awesome. Similarly, Star Captain challenges Draconis lance commander to a duel. Draconis forces accept the duel challenges, despite the bizarre nature and etiquette of the attacking forces.

Wyvern and Griffin begin a flanking manouver along wooded hillsides towards the Mad Dog, using their jump jets at full tilt. Shadow Hawk lays down some long range covering fire.

Mad Dog advances cautiously towards the same hillside range. Awesome and Hatamoto Chi slowly advance together towards a slight elevation to set up for a firing position. The quickly advancing Summoner manages to hit the Hatamoto Chi with a clan ER PPC, smashing one side of the mech from an impressive distance.

Light long range fire is exchanged. Hellbringer pilot, awaiting the arrival of the Awesome, chooses another target in the meantime, and manages a long range ER PPC hit on the Shadow Hawk’s left torso, almost taking out that entire section. The Mad Dog fires with its large pulse lasers, and manages to hit the Wyvern with both of them for tremendous damage.

TURN 2

The Wyvern and griffin jump jet for a temporary retreat along wooded hillside, Shadow Hawk lays covering fire. All three mechs concentrate fire on the marauding Mad Dog, forgoing any previous duel they had commited to in the panic of fighting against such powerful and alien technology. The combined laser and missile fire dealing 26 damage to the Mad Dog, all internals now showing on its left arm. The sheer fire forces the clan mech backwards momentarily, but then it returned light laser fire and a flight of LRM20s towards the Wyvern, causing some concerning damage along torso areas.

The Awesome has by now managed to reach the crest of a small hilltop, within short range of the Mad Dog engaged in fire against 3 mechs! The Awesome unleashes all its PPC’s at the clan mech, punching huge armor armor chunks from its centre torso and right leg. The clan mech would just not fall or retreat despite the massive hail of fire.

Hatamoto Chi, at the edge of the small forest, exchanges fire with the the Summoner jump jetting around the forest perimeter. Summoner takes significant damage from a mix of pulse lasers and PPCs to its left torso, exposing the internals. The Star Captain’s accuracy deals a devastating total of 27 damage in return to the Hatamoto’s torso and arms. Both pilots manage to keep their mechs from falling despite the volume of damage.

TURN 3

Wyvern, Shadow Hawk, and Griffin continue to harass the Mad Dog with medium-long range fire, while the Mad Dog’s armour is further reduced in all areas. The Mad Dog begins to target and damage the Griffin as well.

The Hellbringer and Awesome finally square off and exchange deadly and accurate fire. Both marksmen fire all their PPCs. Hellbringer pilot hits with one clan ER PPC, heavily damaging the torso. The Awesome proceeds to hit with all 3 of its PPCs, smashing the clan mech’s left arm, right arm, and left torso (30 damage total!). The Helbringer is looking very flimsy at this point, its heat dangerously high, and yet it would not fall.

The Summoner momentarily jumps to the far side of the small forest, trying to lure the Hatamoto Chi through the thick foliage. The Draconis commander however, cools his mech down and is not fooled, remaining in place and awaiting the Star Captain’s next move. The Draconis commander snaps off a lone PPC shot at the Falcon Hellbringer across the lake, but misses.

TURN 4

Hellbringer retreats slightly, behind a small hillside to put some distance between itself and the deadly Awesome. On the other hand, like an animal gone berserk, the Mad Dog charged towards the bottom of the hillside towards the advancing Wyvern, Shadow Hawk, and Griffin.

Hellbringer’s single ER PPC shot was precisely aimed on the Shadow Hawk, the blast striking the mech’s head and disintegrating the structure, instantly killing the Kuritan mechwarrior within. Only a lifeless but still standing Shadow Hawk with a smoking head remained.

The Mad Dog, charging through a hail of fire, aimed all its pulse lasers into the Wyvern and hitting with all, tearing out its entire central torso section and collapsing the Wyvern in a ruined heap.

It was at this point that the panicking Draconis Commander issued the order for a hasty tactical retreat, under the covering fire of several aerospace strafing runs. Regrouping with the other remaining forces and reinforcements would give them a greater chance at victory against the superior equipment of the Clans. The Falcons would then feel the full fury of the Dragon.

Much to their annoyance, the Falcon units themeselves received a transmission from their commanding Star Colonel, ordering them to fall back and regroup with the rest of the Trinary. It had been established that the Draconis Forces had proven themselves far from honorable in other nearby engagements – and were to be crushed into submission by the Trinary as a whole, just outside the planet’s capital city.

« Last Edit: 01 May 2011, 08:43:52 by Brandydog »

Not the vastness of space, nor the Wolf's obstinate howl, will stay us from our righteous goal.
We are Crusaders and will trample all who stand in our way!

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Re: Jade Falcons vs Draconis Combine
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2011, 07:28:28 »
Hellbringer challenges the Awesome.
That's a Brave/Dumbass Clanner.  I approve. [rockon]

Nice Report. The Falcons didn't do too bad considering they game up their range advantage.

Are you going to play out the Trinary Crushing game?

Brandydog

• Sergeant
    • Battletech Minis
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2011, 07:54:00 »
That's a Brave/Dumbass Clanner.  I approve. [rockon]

Nice Report. The Falcons didn't do too bad considering they game up their range advantage.

Are you going to play out the Trinary Crushing game?

Haha yep, i thought it befitted the typical clan audacity.

We are definately building up to the "Trinary crushing" game, which we could do when we have enough players gathered on the one day. Will be putting in some tanks (which we whave never used before) amongst the horde of defenders, which will mean alot of ouch time for the Falcons. But as a balancing factor, might implement pre-existing damage on various units before game start.

Not the vastness of space, nor the Wolf's obstinate howl, will stay us from our righteous goal.

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2011, 07:55:13 »

Yeah, I agree. Starting on the same map really takes away the range advantage of the Clanners. For me, even Inner Sphere vs Inner Sphere, I like to use at the very least four maps in a 2x2 arrangement but I prefer six maps in a 2x3 spread.

It gives lots of room to maneuver and even Inner Sphere pilots can hit at that range. Below is a pick from a recent battle of some Archers using indirect fire at an assault lance. I needed 11s to hit but got two 11s out of six shots and knocked a BattleMaster down (not out but down). I hit at more than a map away. The Clanners, IMHO, should also have stayed a map away and used their range advantage.

« Last Edit: 01 May 2011, 19:22:52 by Lyran Archer »
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

Brandydog

• Sergeant
    • Battletech Minis
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2011, 08:04:51 »
Yeah, I agree. Starting on the same map really takes away the range advantage of the Clanners. For me, even Inner Sphere vs Inner Sphere, I like to use at the very least four maps in a 2x2 arrangement but I prefer six maps in a 2x3 spread.

It gives lots of room to maneuver and even Inner Sphere pilots can hit at that range. Below is a pick from a recent battle of some Archers using indirect fire at an assault lance. I needed 11s to hit but got two 11s out of six shots and knocked a BattleMaster down (not out but down). I hit at more than a map away. The Clanners, IMHO, shout also have stayed a map away and used their range advantage.

We've always played on dining tables so far, we will need to get a larger table!  ;D
And our games have always seemed cramped for space come to think of it...

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2011, 08:43:00 »
We've always played on dining tables so far, we will need to get a larger table!  ;D
And our games have always seemed cramped for space come to think of it...
I'd suggest the clanners look into Medium Pulse lasers, Autocannon 20's and Streak launchers for the best Punch at close range.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
  • "Loyalty is it's own reward!"
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2011, 13:57:25 »
My favourite 2 factions AND the two units i play myself... duking it out! Looked like a fun game!

MY MAIN FACTIONS:
Draconis Combine: Fifth Sword of Light
Clan Jade Falcon: Gamma Galaxy
Clan Ice Hellion: Alpha Galaxy

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2011, 05:36:03 »
We have to do this again soon, get some building action happening!
"I think it was two ninjas taped together to make one giant ninja!"

The First Proserpina Hussars were eager to fight the Smoke Jaguars, but the commanders assigned them to attack worlds held by Clan Nova Cat instead. They faced a hard fight on Kanowit, but took Mualang by winning a round of miniature golf. This obviously minimized further losses.

Devens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2011, 06:23:43 »
The 2 Maps was fine for the force sizes IMHO, though a 1 x 3 arrangement with the 1 map sides being home edges woulda been better.   A 2 x 2 or 2 x 3 arrangement is a little big for a lance on lance.  To me thats 2 Lance on 2 Lance or 2 Lance vs 1 Star territory.

I would caution against more than 4 Mechs total per map though as that encurages Assault Mech mentality. 

I personaly like the 2 x 3 setup like Lyran Archer mensioned for up to company size.   The 3rd map of depth gives room for breakthrough operations and room for sides to advance and fall back as needed to represent a realistic flow of battle.     

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
  • "Loyalty is it's own reward!"
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2011, 10:16:35 »
I usually opt for one map for every 4 mechs on the field.

MY MAIN FACTIONS:
Draconis Combine: Fifth Sword of Light
Clan Jade Falcon: Gamma Galaxy
Clan Ice Hellion: Alpha Galaxy