Author Topic: Aurigan Reach  (Read 41789 times)

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
Re: Aurigan Reach
« Reply #270 on: 01 December 2018, 16:26:51 »
As someone else mentioned, I'd love to see the Argus statted.  I don't think it's practical as a military dropship. It takes two collars, piggybacking likely has a size limit, no sign of weapons, but I can see one group that would love to be able to build them...

Interstellar Operations. 

An Argo would be great for observing lost colonies who have lost spaceflight.  Take an Argo and you can observe from long orbit and have a well developed long term lab.  You also have a point where you can attach a dropship, like a Drost IIa for sending teams down to the planet.

And I'll agree with other posters who've said I'd like more small failed states in the Periphery. 
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #271 on: 01 December 2018, 16:54:44 »
Back to the Reach. I do hope Catalyst pulls them into a book, even if it's just to eliminate them. Just fills things out better. I'd like to see the deep periphery filled out more in the SW era too.
Maybe it could also become a good example of a faction that goes 'under the radar' of the greater universe.
They have local control, but no influence over other nations.
So if it is reasonable, then I will be able to imagine that the periphery is filled with such factions. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #272 on: 01 December 2018, 17:29:09 »
The fronc reaches have the same status: local control and nil influence on nearby powers. A war between the aurigans and the fronc reaches can be a great event for small merc commands and a good RPG campaign. In the power area of what the Marians and the minor powers to their north fight.

DarkLloyd

• Corporal
  • "Never Say Die!"
« Reply #273 on: 17 December 2018, 17:59:31 »
Then I guess no one has mentioned the House Arano Book coming in March...

As per an update from the Kickstarter:
"And, finally, we're excited to share that our friends at Catalyst Game Labs will be releasing a new House Arano sourcebook with contributions from Kiva and Andrew on March 1st - be sure to check it out when it lands!"

With the cover:
Col. Adrian Rattliff C.O.  The Ratt Frags - Allied Mercenary Command

The Ratt Fragg's motto for the Jihad: "Nemo Me Impune Lacessita” - No One Attacks Me With Impunity
"I don't know who you people are. But I bet I know how much that Mechs' gonna be worth in salvage."
"A lot of people hate the Clans, me, I don't mind them. I just think of them as a "Renewable" resource...... "

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #274 on: 17 December 2018, 18:18:32 »
I just now sent the draft back with all my notes. Should be a pretty neat book.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #275 on: 17 December 2018, 18:26:16 »

You mean except just about everyone on the last page and anyone under the announcement two pages back?   O:-)
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #276 on: 17 December 2018, 22:10:07 »

As per an update from the Kickstarter:
"And, finally, we're excited to share that our friends at Catalyst Game Labs will be releasing a new House Arano sourcebook with contributions from Kiva and Andrew on March 1st - be sure to check it out when it lands!"

With the cover:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63253.msg1462399#msg1462399

Announced last month.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #277 on: 17 December 2018, 22:34:12 »
I just now sent the draft back with all my notes. Should be a pretty neat book.

Sometimes the crown is heavy... sometimes it has really cool perks...

So if I look at one of the old school House books, would that give me a good idea of what to expect from this one?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #278 on: 17 December 2018, 23:33:52 »
Somewhat. But picture it’s about the size of one of the faction chapters of the old Periphery book.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #279 on: 18 December 2018, 00:43:22 »
Nice addition to the collective lore gathered together in the bt universe.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #280 on: 20 December 2018, 22:33:00 »
I think the "Real Story" of what went down is what I'm most looking forward to.  Hoping we get something like that! 

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #281 on: 20 December 2018, 22:35:56 »
"Real Story"

Bob Newhart was dreaming

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #282 on: 21 December 2018, 03:28:49 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #283 on: 21 December 2018, 11:46:34 »
I like the idea of coalition being just loose alliance of independent worlds being guided by one (we would have hoped) stable leadership one world. I can't wait for the book to come out.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Phalanx

• Corporal
« Reply #284 on: 21 December 2018, 15:46:25 »
I like the idea of coalition being just loose alliance of independent worlds being guided by one (we would have hoped) stable leadership one world. I can't wait for the book to come out.

I am more interested in the In-Universe reason why it was not mentioned in earlier sources. A polity both with a Larger Military  and more worlds than any of the other Minor Periphery Powers, including Grim's Oberon Confederation or the Outworlds Alliance.

My wishlist:
- Aurigan Coalition RAT
- Explanation of Government Structure
- Explanation of Military Units
- ATOW Affiliation
- ISAW Special Abilities

Statesman:  Our Warlord.

Warlord:  Your Statesman.

-Liaofan

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #285 on: 21 December 2018, 16:20:17 »
I am more interested in the In-Universe reason why it was not mentioned in earlier sources. A polity both with a Larger Military  and more worlds than any of the other Minor Periphery Powers, including Grim's Oberon Confederation or the Outworlds Alliance.

I think you can expect the military to be smaller than you expect- remember even in the game a lance was a decisive force for Kamea to call down on a critical assignment and the Taurian battalion would drastically alter the balance of power in her rebellion.

As for the worlds?  Again, IMO expect less than what you saw in the game . . . first, it could simply be they counted every world they had a presence on- meaning marginal ones that ComStar did not consider worthy of inclusion on the maps they released.  Second, some of the planets Kamea considered part of the Coalition could have been more of clients rather than members.  Third, it does not even need to be the whole planetary government.  Periphery worlds outside the major powers do not seem to have a single world government, rather divided up territory between planetary powers/warlords and the neighboring Houses prefer that since they seem to spend resources keeping the periphery worlds unstable.  Finally, its going to be a conversion of the game . . . so just like previous game elements, it will be tailored to fit into BTU.

But that opening scene in MW4 was still awesome, even if a planetary noble should not really have had a pair of Clan mechs!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #286 on: 21 December 2018, 16:52:54 »
I think you can expect the military to be smaller than you expect- remember even in the game a lance was a decisive force for Kamea to call down on a critical assignment and the Taurian battalion would drastically alter the balance of power in her rebellion.

I would expect large-ish formations of infantry, (mainly cheap ICE-powered) conventional vehicles and VTOLs and the like, backed up by small ´Mech units that are only really used for the most critical operations. Sort of like elsewhere in the independent periphery regions.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #287 on: 21 December 2018, 17:11:59 »
Lol, we could get armed IndiMechs too!
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #288 on: 21 December 2018, 17:35:40 »
Lol, we could get armed IndiMechs too!
Now I want to be able to field industrials in my HBS games...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #289 on: 21 December 2018, 17:37:05 »
IndustrialMechs- because some sort of mech is better than no mech.
Colt Ward

Dark Jackal

• Corporal
« Reply #290 on: 22 December 2018, 11:55:56 »
I wonder how they're going to work with the Star League tech portion of the game's story. I feel the addition made sense in a video game in order to boost the player with a really powerful SL-era Highlander in case they were having trouble up to that point. Personally, in view of TT, I would not be happy if that happened in 3020s where this story takes place even if its just a handful of 'Mechs. The tech used are the types Kerensky most likely would have taken with him on the Exodus.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #291 on: 22 December 2018, 12:21:57 »
I wonder how they're going to work with the Star League tech portion of the game's story. I feel the addition made sense in a video game in order to boost the player with a really powerful SL-era Highlander in case they were having trouble up to that point. Personally, in view of TT, I would not be happy if that happened in 3020s where this story takes place even if its just a handful of 'Mechs. The tech used are the types Kerensky most likely would have taken with him on the Exodus.

LosTech caches are inherently predicated on having been left behind by the Exodus for one reason or another.  Being located literally out in the Periphery, so far from the rallying point at New Samarkand, provides ready excuses for why such a primo cache got left behind intact.

Dark Jackal

• Corporal
« Reply #292 on: 22 December 2018, 12:42:14 »
LosTech caches are inherently predicated on having been left behind by the Exodus for one reason or another.  Being located literally out in the Periphery, so far from the rallying point at New Samarkand, provides ready excuses for why such a primo cache got left behind intact.

I understand there is a fluff of possibility for something like that to happen as SL era caches are a dime a dozen as far as plots go. I was rather pointing out that it doesn't add anything interesting in the 3020s and actually could present more problems with a power creep if we did a direct port over. This is something I hope is changed with TT adaptation. It's pretty huge to have a fully functional and working SL era 'Mech that just so happens to be a Highlander with a Gauss Rifle (something very unlikely to be left behind --intact). A SL-era Griffin would have been more passable given that it was vastly more common. Again, I have to mention I don't have problems with the videogame providing that player with a boost or Arano with a fully functional Atlas to boot. My ace pilot Dekker slayed any level I 'Mech that it came across without much fuss or challenge hopping to various sniping spots with his shiny new Highlander. It's not something I want a straight port over to TT.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #293 on: 22 December 2018, 13:21:17 »

Don't forget that those SL 'Mechs would soon run into repair issues.
So in a couple of years they would have to downgrade or keep them safe in vault, either situation removes a SL Mech from the battlefield.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #294 on: 22 December 2018, 13:28:23 »
Not to mention there's any number of powerful IS factions who'd find it worthwhile to launch a major raid just to steal those mechs once they became publicly known.  Possibly not even to field those mechs themselves; maybe all they want is the now-irreplaceable components for their own lostech mechs.

A cache like that turns up? The LAST thing that would happen is some minor periphery power successfully holds onto them to pose a conflict with existing canon.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #295 on: 22 December 2018, 14:37:55 »
Galtor part II: lostech boogaloo

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #296 on: 22 December 2018, 14:49:19 »
Now THAT's funny!  ;D

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #297 on: 22 December 2018, 14:59:12 »
Actually, I'm not sure a few mechs in and of themselves would be worth mounting a raid.

The possibility that there might be even more equipment on the planet to find, however...  Who'd believe the league set up a whole cache just for a few mechs? Obviously those periphery scum didn't look hard enough. We're going to need to linger here for a while to make "extra sure" everything has been found...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #298 on: 22 December 2018, 19:28:05 »
Actually, I'm not sure a few mechs in and of themselves would be worth mounting a raid.

The possibility that there might be even more equipment on the planet to find, however...  Who'd believe the league set up a whole cache just for a few mechs? Obviously those periphery scum didn't look hard enough. We're going to need to linger here for a while to make "extra sure" everything has been found...
depends on who it is and exactly when it occurs.

to be honest Kurita I am not sure they would really do much, too far away, and the odds of anything still being there /intact by the time they got tho the region...
Davion, isn't this around the time Hanse was really getting going? and was getting NAIS set up?  I could totally see him sending a "retrieval team" with literally millions of cbills and a company (or 2) of battlemechs to trade (buy) the mechs and gear from the finder, and I could totally see him trading several assault mechs for the star league highlander (mainly for the gauss rifle) and even offering a hey give us the gauss rifle and we will give you a replacement ac20/ac10 (your choice) right now to replace it, AND if we manage to reverse engineer it and get it working, we will give you 10 of the first 100 gauss rifles we manage to build.

Steiner similar to Kurita but even further away.

Laio and Marik would definitely be fairly interested, but they seem lets trustworthy to make a reasonable deal (and abide by it)

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #299 on: 22 December 2018, 21:14:30 »
We also have to take into account what the rest are doing to each other, or planning to.

The destroyed cache on Artu is not going to amount to anything is Yang was half the tech god he is portrayed.  In 3025, they have prototypes of Double Heat Sinks in NAIS, Defiance Industries, and Luthien.  they may not be the Star League ones, becuase of the different coolants, but they are that track.  Hell, by 3030 Max has gotten the first Mech produced with DHS in 200 years with the BJ-3.  Right now, to the Houses and to Comstar (and the Dragoons) is the memory cache of the Argo that will intrigue everyone.  However, that is something of a hot potato.  Whoever gets it, might NOT want to study it at thier best place.

New Ticker for New Avalon New Corp

NAIS and portion on the capital has been destroyed by nuclear missiles launched from orbit.

Register